Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 43.
    #51 7 years ago

I could understand if this was one or two reports of the issue occurring but it sounds like we are talking close to a dozen games here...

This isn't an issue that just started occurring either as one owner that posted here has had their game since at least late last year. I bet on some games the issue was noticeable right out of the box while on others it occurred over time.

#52 7 years ago

I didn't want to make a thread about this, but now that one exists...
    On Aerosmith games there is a square hole gap in each corner under the cabinet where they "connect".
    I used my wood filler of choice on a friend's cabinet to add some integrity in that area where the square hole was empty.

#53 7 years ago

All it would take is a pass down the router table for them to dovetail the corners. What, like 2 minutes a cabinet.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

All it would take is a pass down the router table for them to dovetail the corners. What, like 2 minutes a cabinet.

Well that makes sense but to Stern that's another $1 in labor per game, lol. Seriously though this is absolutely ridiculous.

$5k- $15k and we have to worry about playfield and now cabinet issues? Wtf, both playfields and cabinets are the two things we should expect to be made well on a pinball machine considering those two items have been being made mostly without issue for 30+ years beforehand.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Well they removed about 40 pounds from games. Putting that in perspective, that is like removing the weight of a 4x8 sheet of half inch plywood. Granted, that's through the whole game. But yes, some stuff is thinner and less durable.

40lbs since changing to the new backbox design or another 40lbs after the backbox design change?

#57 7 years ago

To be fair, my gb is on route. I wood glued and put a ratchet strap around the caninet and it's good now. Doesn't look great but whatever, its on route.

IMG_6204 (resized).JPGIMG_6204 (resized).JPG

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

My GB pro weight = 210 pounds (230 in box).
    To compare: STTNG = 322 pounds crated. Mine probably weighs that much uncrated with all of the mods!
    Huge difference.

According to their official flyers, GB Aerosmith, ST, GOT, and MET (all Pro models) are listed at 250 unboxed. The only one I saw that was less than 250lb in my 2 min search was that WWE Pro was listed at 210lb.

Seems weird that Stern would make games lighter down to 210lb and then advertise them at 250lb just so it doesn't sound like they're cheaping out on features or materials. Are you sure your GB is really 210lb? GB Pro flyer clearly states 250lb unboxed on the bottom of the first page...
    http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/pro/GB%20PRO%20Flyer65.pdf

#59 7 years ago

So on Stern's website they claim their pinball machines are built for commercial usage. Hmmm. If so, the cabinets should be made
    to move from location to location without splitting. How did they do it years ago where Williams, Bally, Stern, Gottlieb etc.. were all able
    to be moved without problem? I really doubting quality of these machines these days?

#60 7 years ago

My premium left side

IMG_0352 (resized).JPGIMG_0352 (resized).JPG

IMG_0354 (resized).JPGIMG_0354 (resized).JPG

#61 7 years ago

And the right side

IMG_0353 (resized).JPGIMG_0353 (resized).JPG

IMG_0356 (resized).JPGIMG_0356 (resized).JPG

IMG_0355 (resized).JPGIMG_0355 (resized).JPG

#62 7 years ago

They'll probably just send a bottle of wood glue and some touch up paint to fix.

#63 7 years ago

Quality is very poor nowadays. Between my MET that's just chipping away and my GB with ghosting and this. They can't even able stickers and my MET head decals are rolling on the edges. I'm personally done with Stern. Great titles and fun but poor building. They saved pinball and may now be the ones to kill it as well in my opinion. They also refuse to make anything right. Thankfully other companies exist and there are tons of older games.

#64 7 years ago

Well this is ridiculous. Something is not cut correctly causing it to split apart due to stress?

#65 7 years ago

Ps mine is in my home and set up where I unboxed it never moved. They always said these were not supposed to last couldn't be more true these days. My 30 year old games haven't got that memo so if we could keep that last part between us I would appreciate it.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well that makes sense but to Stern that's another $1 in labor per game, lol. Seriously though this is absolutely ridiculous.
    $5k- $15k and we have to worry about playfield and now cabinet issues? Wtf, both playfields and cabinets are the two things we should expect to be made well on a pinball machine considering those two items have been being made mostly without issue for 30+ years beforehand.

So now add Cabinetgate to the list.......

Love Stern games but can't shell out with all these major QC issues and don't mention unfinished code

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

To be fair, STTNG is a beast. I suspect it weighs in a good more than its contemporaries.

Well...if you exclude WOZ and Hobbit. Those two are the heaviest beasts I've seen, including RS which is also heavier than STTNG. My IM is the lightest game I've ever lifted in comparison.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Is Stern making these cabinets? Or CCC?

I think virtually all of Stern's cabinets have been made by them / a third party contractor since the autumn of 2015, and small numbers before that. CGC (Churchill) were displaced from cabinet making some time before playfields.

The cabinets have been getting progressively cheaper for a while. I haven't seen a BM'66 or Aerosmith in the flesh, but would doubt they've improved. However, from my MoP and Luci to the new style SAM backbox and cheaper, lighter cabinet in my ST, there is a big difference. Bigger difference still between later Spike system games (non-CGC cabs). The GoTs and GBs that I've seen and played have all felt very wobbly and cheap. Wood practically feels like balsa.

Amazing that they ditched interlocking joinery. How much does that save in cutting / assembly time per unit? 5 dollars tops, for something so important to the cabinet's durability.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

My premium left side

'Premium'. Good old Stern.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

According to their official flyers, GB Aerosmith, ST, GOT, and MET (all Pro models) are listed at 250 unboxed. The only one I saw that was less than 250lb in my 2 min search was that WWE Pro was listed at 210lb.
    Seems weird that Stern would make games lighter down to 210lb and then advertise them at 250lb just so it doesn't sound like they're cheaping out on features or materials. Are you sure your GB is really 210lb? GB Pro flyer clearly states 250lb unboxed on the bottom of the first page...
    http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/pro/GB%20PRO%20Flyer65.pdf</blockquote

Those numbers are right out of the operating manual for the GB pro. 210 pounds is correct.

#71 7 years ago

They have a lot of "executive overhead" at Stern

It's obvious some of that overhead isn't doing their job properly

You get fat and happy and keep pushing the pricing envelope while the details and quality aren't being paid attention too

#72 7 years ago

wow!!! This thread is making me not want to buy a new Stern ever again. Does anyone know the exact games that the cabs were not made by CGC?

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

My GB pro weight = 210 pounds (230 in box).
    To compare: STTNG = 322 pounds crated. Mine probably weighs that much uncrated with all of the mods!
    Huge difference.

I'm talking about Stern games, in response to a comment about Stern's weight. Games from another manufacturer 23 years ago weren't part of the conversation.

Ghostbusters Premium 250 lbs for game, 280 lbs in box.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

This thread is making me not want to buy a new Stern ever again.

Unfortunately this may be the only way for them to change.

#75 7 years ago

Yikes.

Adding this to my list "Reasons why I'm happy that I cancelled Ghostbusters".

#76 7 years ago

The game plays great and stern took care of me for the playfield. I'm not afraid to buy nib sterns. I understand a private collector not wanting to buy, but new sterns just plain earn.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

The game plays great and stern took care of me for the playfield. I'm not afraid to buy nib sterns. I understand a private collector not wanting to buy, but new sterns just plain earn.

...but that's who they're marketing toward with Premium/LE/Super LEs. Private collectors. The games from their "operators are our customers" days were built better & cost less thank $4k. $7k-$15k for games splitting at the seems is bonkers.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

I really doubting quality of these machines these days?

I don't know, are you?

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

...but that's who they're marketing toward with Premium/LE/Super LEs. Private collectors. The games from their "operators are our customers" days were built better & cost less thank $4k. $7k-$15k for games splitting at the seems is bonkers.

And I agree. I'm just stating that it's really a non issue as far as game play and repairs. I'm happy overall with my investment.
    One day it'll be in my personal collection.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

40lbs since changing to the new backbox design or another 40lbs after the backbox design change?

An excellent question! So far the best I can find for the weight of Iron Man VE is 250 as well. But that is from IPDB, so it is suspect (just like the way their MSRP prices change over time). I might actually try to work out a way to weigh some games to figure out exactly the changes. Maybe I'll even pull the playfields and just measure the cabinets.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I'm talking about Stern games, in response to a comment about Stern's weight. Games from another manufacturer 23 years ago weren't part of the conversation.
    Ghostbusters Premium 250 lbs for game, 280 lbs in box.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/premium/1967/Ghostbusters_LE_web.pdf

Page 52 says you are wrong.

Weight 210 lbs

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but they don't agree with what Stern says the game weighs.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Is Stern making these cabinets? Or CCC?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#83 7 years ago

For the most part, you get what you pay for with IKEA.

Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a lot more (than the alternatives).

Stern ...

Re: made in China (and I think less and less of IKEA's stuff - in Europe - is), the highest quality looking cabinet work of any manufacturer in pinball at the moment belongs to Homepin ....... or will, if their preproduction cabinets are representative of how production machines will be.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/premium/1967/Ghostbusters_LE_web.pdf
    Page 52 says you are wrong.
    Weight 210 lbs
    I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but they don't agree with what Stern says the game weighs.

From the side of the box. Subtract 20-30 lbs.

Heads up, Stern's manuals are notoriously wrong.

#85 7 years ago

Has anyone had any success with stern replacing the cabinet?

#86 7 years ago

I just looked at my ST Pro and it's put together the same way, but so far it hasn't separated.
    I think I'll get some corner brackets and put them on the inside. like a friend of mine is doing

#87 7 years ago

All this talk about seam splitting got me to do something about it BEFORE my GB Pro starts to split. The right side, under the shooter HD leg bolt brace is on, #6, 3/4 inch screws with washers, total time about 15 minutes. The left side will take a bit longer cuz there's more stuff to move. This SHOULD take care of the problem BEFORE it happens. Stern should step up their game and put these on ALL legs on ALL games period.

IMGA0087 (resized).JPGIMGA0087 (resized).JPG

#88 7 years ago

From the Premium flyer....

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

From the Premium flyer....

So...the box weighs 30 pounds? You don't really believe that either, do you?

You should just take Jody's job. At least then you'd be paid to yell "HOORAY, STERN!" all day.

#90 7 years ago

All this talk about 40 pounds less than pre-spike games.

Transformer was removed, a lot of extra wire is no longer necessary and the BB was changed from wood to aluminum. This easily equates to 40 pounds. Can we put that topic to rest now and move on to the real problem of cabinet separation?

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

So...the box weighs 30 pounds? You don't really believe that either, do you?
    You should just take Jody's job. At least then you'd be paid to yell "HOORAY, STERN!" all day.

LOL!

You're forgetting the packaging material and the legs. That along with the box is probably is around 30 lbs.

#92 7 years ago

It looks like Stern hasn't advertised the correct weight of games on their flyers for years. The XMEN LE flyer says the game weighs 250lbs. XMEN LE has a backbox made of wood, multiple boards in the backbox, a regular lockdown bar mech, and a regular transformer.

There is no way that current Sterns weigh 250lbs...no way.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It looks like Stern hasn't advertised the correct weight of games on their flyers for years. The XMEN LE flyer says the game weighs 250lbs. XMEN LE has a backbox made of wood, multiple boards in the backbox, a regular lockdown bar mech, and a regular transformer.
    There is no way that current Sterns weigh 250lbs...no way.

Putting incorrect weight on their box is a good way to get fined. Their manuals may be shit, but I'd bet their boxes are labeled correctly.

#94 7 years ago

I was debating getting either an AFMr or a new Star Wars....does CGC make their own cabinets? Do any MMr owners see this same issue on their cabinets?

#95 7 years ago

Here are pics from my ACDC prem, Tron LE, IMve, and LOTR. The process doesn't look like it's changed that much, but I'm not cabinetry expert. Perhaps it's an issue of glue used?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#96 7 years ago

What happened to the thread, did a bunny rabbit run by?
    Nevermind it's back on track

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know, are you?

Why yes I am!

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Go to Stern's website and click on any Pro model on the Games page, then select the Pro Flyer. Just about every game clearly states 250lb unboxed at the bottom of the first page.

Obviously they're just Sales flyers, but in 3 of the 4 examples below (AS, GB, GOT) they state 250lb.

Weights (resized).JPGWeights (resized).JPG

#99 7 years ago

Mmr

IMG_0357 (resized).JPGIMG_0357 (resized).JPG

IMG_0358 (resized).JPGIMG_0358 (resized).JPG

#100 7 years ago

Jjp

IMG_0359 (resized).JPGIMG_0359 (resized).JPG

IMG_0360 (resized).JPGIMG_0360 (resized).JPG

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/2?hl=tux and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.