Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 43.
    #1301 6 years ago

This is exactly what we did.

Built Stern tough with 25 year old Williams Stuff...

Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'd add the B/W brackets (or similar) first thing to a new Stern. They are cheap insurance and easy to install. I even think they look rather nice.

#1302 6 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

When you see the difference between the B/W braces and the tiny ones Stern uses its amazing their cabinets are in one piece by the time they're delivered.

They're not ..... no longer lasting until the legs go on, in many instances, if this thread is any indicator.

#1303 6 years ago

G Easy Gary be stacking those blues to da ceiling!

#1304 6 years ago

Here's one you can add to the list. Same op has a Ghostbusters Pro that is just fine.

IMAG7730 (resized).jpgIMAG7730 (resized).jpg

#1305 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Here's one you can add to the list. Same op has a Ghostbusters Pro that is just fine.

Looks like the leg is the only thing holding it together. How's the other side?

#1306 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like the leg is the only thing holding it together. How's the other side?

Other side is fine. Something definitely changed or is being missed in the cabinet making process. I've seen multiple copies of every nib stern game for the last 6 years come and go and I've never seen a cabinet like this. This game has only been on route for two months. Most new games last at least a year on route here and they never look anything like this.

#1307 6 years ago

Ordered....a new Stern today...Ghostbusters Premium. I asked CoinTaker about the cabinet splitting issue and they have received 1 complaint for a split cabinet and the game was apparently made last year. Still, there's at least 30+ reports out there of this issue. CoinTaker did say that the individual with the split cabinet is receiving a new cabinet.

I really hope these issues are resolved but if not I will certainty post about it. The game I ordered was made about 3 weeks ago. I did buy the Williams brackets as insurance and will add corner braces to the top as well. Pinball Life sells the Stern leg brackets for $2.50, the Williams ones are $5...On a $5k-$15k the Williams style ones should be included.

#1308 6 years ago

I know it was in this thread before but which B/W or stern/sega inside leg bracket is compatible with my 3 sam era games

Tfle
    Met pro
    Smve

I saw a post a ways back with 3 links. One from PBL and two different price points from marco. What are the pros and cons and fitment issues of each. What have people been using?

#1309 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I can give several recommendations offline with additional details.

I would be interested in your recommendations since the professional furniture epoxies I'm finding on the Internet have a lower breaking force than Titebond 3.

#1310 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Other side is fine. Something definitely changed or is being missed in the cabinet making process. I've seen multiple copies of every nib stern game for the last 6 years come and go and I've never seen a cabinet like this. This game has only been on route for two months. Most new games last at least a year on route here and they never look anything like this.

With as many games you've see at soooo many different locations I trust your judgement. But you still haven't come over and seen my games and gameroom.

#1311 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

With as many games you've see at soooo many different locations I trust your judgement. But you still haven't come over and seen my games and gameroom.

That needs to change Paul. I've seen the pictures so many times, but I definitely want to experience it first hand. I will have to talk to the wife and set aside a day to make that happen when you are available.

#1312 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ordered....a new Stern today...Ghostbusters Premium.

In the voice of Kyle's mom on South Park - what, What, WHAT?!?!?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As of today I'm not buying a Ghostbusters Premium. The risks for potential issues are too great at these prices. At some point enough is enough and this new issue is the icing on the cake. I'll try calling Stern today to ask about the issue but it looks like my NIB funds may be going to JJP or Heighway instead.
    A great theme and cool artwork doesn't mean squat if the games are falling apart.

What a difference a month makes. You just did, your funds didn't go to JJP or HW, and the great theme and cool artwork apparently means more than squat.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

However, I'm not dropping $7k on a game if there are active issues with it. Also, I'm not just going to act like there isn't a problem when close to a dozen recent owners or more are posting pics of cabinet issues.

You just did, and you just did.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If Stern wants to charge high prices fine but then quality should also be high, quality control should be high, etc.

Agreed. Do you still agree with your own post?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's disappointing to see profits being put ahead of making a quality product and a quality product is what customers deserve at these prices.
    As a company I would think Stern would want to take more pride in the products they build and increase quality, not lower it. I don't like the idea of buying from a company like Stern with the cost savings mindset they currently have.

Apparently you were able to get over that, despite your constant cheerleading against the action you just took.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I ended up telling my distributor yesterday that I would not be ordering a Ghobusters Premium at this time due to the cabinet issues. I was told earlier in the week by him that Stern may not have Ghostbusters back on the production schedule for another month or so. That's fine as maybe Stern will have fixed this issue by then.
    Either way I don't feel comfortable buying a new Stern game at this time and honestly a part of me doesn't want to support a company that puts profits in front of quality. NIB pinball machines are very expensive and as a result we as customers deserve high quality, feature loaded and properly code supported games. If Stern wants to charge high prices that's fine but they as a company need to justify those high prices with a quality product and at this time they are simply not doing that.

Ugh. Do they? Apparently not.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Terrible quality control and at these record NIB prices there's no excuse for cabinets to be made cheaper other then pure greed. I hope Stern takes care of ya and resolves the issue.
    Looks like I'll be getting an Alien for my next game.

Since you've gone back on every word in this thread, I'll assume you didn't buy that Alien you stated as fact a few weeks ago.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

These new games cost a significant amount of money and I don't want to feel like I'm rolling the dice with thousands of dollars.

To your own word, you now are. The difference 2 weeks makes...

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hey Who-Dey just to let ya know you posted the same reply to me in another thread where I was just asking a question about Aerosmith code... Excellent reply, always thinking positive and being helpful! Please keep bashing me over being hesitant to order a $5k-$8k game after 30+ reports of recently build games have cabinet problems.

Though Who-Dey has been a Grade-A "c*ck holster" in many of the recent Stern threads pumping up how good his AS is, you've been pounding the drum on the other side... and then you just said F*** it, I'll dive into this pool of unknown depth head first.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One last post for ya, just as an FYI. You have 239 down votes in this thread alone. You may want to consider a new approach and not try to insult and attack so many members.

Just for the record, I upvoted you on this post and agreed wholeheartedly.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good to hear. Aerosmith sounds like a great pin. I really enjoyed playing it on location. I may be ordering a pro.

Really? After everything you've said??? (BTW - I like the pin too, but opted to avoid NIB's for the time being)

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ordered....a new Stern today...Ghostbusters Premium.

Ugh.

Look, I'm not saying how you should or shouldn't spend the money YOU have earned. That kind of stuff on here is annoying. BUT, I will point out ridiculous hypocrisy. Damn, man, I was on your side in this thread. There are obvious QC issues and unlike most companies where they'd issue Technical Service Bulletins with action items, they just act like nothing is wrong and wait for the internet anger to fizzle out... but for Stern it has carried over a few titles which is starting to gain some traction and you'd THINK it would start to impact sales. Yet, one of the biggest voices of reason is now caving in as well by buying the game he said he wouldn't buy?!?! What lesson does that teach Stern?

I've seen multiple cabs splitting in person. I've seen a ghosting PF, and I've seen a few clear coat issues... all of those issues were on new Sterns. That's ab-so-lute-ly why I just opted out of buying a NIB Met Pro and went with a HUO RBION instead. I had NIB money ready to go, but these QC issues seem to be consistent over a small sample size, and our HUO ST Pro has been so good, so why (as you put it multiple times in this thread) roll the dice?

I like Stern games, a lot. Despite some saying a post I once made here is the reason Stern doesn't post here anymore, I love almost all of their recent games. But holy hell, I'm not gonna make dozens of comments about spending thousands of $$$ for poor QC, and then 2 weeks later go buy a NIB game as if I never said those things. I've see what's happening, and opted to keep my money on the used market where I can inspect before buying. My next title after HUO RBION was used, and you better believe the next title I'm buying soon will follow suit.

I'm just saying, there's a lot of cheer leading on here, on both sides, and you clearly chose a side... but then went against everything you preached about. I sincerely hope you get a mint game that lasts years on years. But with your GB Prem... if you don't get code updates, or if you get a ghosted PF, or if you get a splitting cab, or if you get clear chipping, I wouldn't care a nano-ounce like I do for these unsuspecting first time NIB buyers who are getting out of box crap. Anything that happens to your game is really on you at this point, but again, I sincerely hope your get a kick ass GB Premium because I want Stern to be making games worth their customers' money.

#1313 6 years ago

I reinforced my KISS this past weekend for some piece of mind. The differences in the cabinet compared to my BM66 are night and day. The KISS cabinet was much tougher to screw into. Plus you could see the wood glue in the top joints under the lockdown bar. Also excess glue can be seen coming out of the inside bottom panel before it was painted black. Finally the bottom joints aren't missing any wood either. My BM66 is completely opposite. It was just starting to split before I reinforced it. I'd really like and probably deserve a new cabinet. But I know Stern would deny it cuz it's no where near as bad as others have posted. Stern knows they pushed the "cheap ass" envelope too far but Hell would have to freeze over before they'd ever admit it.

#1314 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

In the voice of Kyle's mom on South Park - what, What, WHAT?!?!?

Yes, I said multiple times that I've been hesitant to spend $5k-$8k on a NIB game when there are 30+ reports of cabinets splitting. I bought a Ghostbusters now as I feel comfortable with the information I have available to make a purchase.

1. The cabinet splitting on newly built games has slowed.
    2. I ordered from a well known distributor, CoinTaker, as I know they will go to bat for me if there is an issue.
    3. I waited a year after the games release to buy the game. I cancelled my original order over a year ago due to playfield issues which have been resolved.
    4. CoinTaker told me they have had 1 report of a customer with a split cabinet and it is getting replaced.

Do I still feel that I'm somewhat rolling the dice? Absolutely. If my game has the issue I will post about it, you can count on that, lol. I also hope that my cabinet is fine as like I said before at these crazy prices this type of issue should not be happening at all.

I did purchase the last GB premium CoinTaker currently has in stock. The game was made about 3 weeks ago. I'm still debating if it would be worth it to again delay and get an even newer built game in 2-3 more weeks.

#1315 6 years ago

Stern has quietly fixed their playfield and maybe their cabinet issues. What's next...cheap ass wiring that catches fire!?

#1316 6 years ago

Stern has quietly fixed their playfield and maybe their cabinet issues. What's next...cheap ass wiring that catches fire!?

Shhh...

#1317 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I did purchase the last GB premium CoinTaker currently has in stock. The game was made about 3 weeks ago. I'm still debating if it would be worth it to again delay and get an even newer built game in 2-3 more weeks.

This thread started about 4 1/2 weeks ago. Seems too close to comfort for me. I know what I'd do. Wait til I know for sure that Stern has addressed the cabinet issues, hopefully with updated miters in the corner but at a minimum with updated leg brackets.

#1318 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

This thread started about 4 1/2 weeks ago. Seems too close to comfort for me. I know what I'd do. Wait til I know for sure that Stern has addressed the cabinet issues, hopefully with updated miters in the corner but at a minimum with updated leg brackets.

Exactly! I'd make sure it was a much newer build and only after other members post pics showing that Stern has addressed this issue.

#1319 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

2. I ordered from a well known distributor, CoinTaker, as I know they will go to bat for me if there is an issue.

All crap aside, this is completely true. Cointaker will go to bat for you if there is an issue. They went to bat for me when I had a big issue in my last game. It took a while (Stern dragging their feet), but Cointaker got it done.

#1320 6 years ago

It a feature on their Die Hard pin.

#1321 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It a feature on their Die Hard pin.

#1322 6 years ago

Was told by a Distro yesterday Stern is putting together a corner strengthening kit they will be sending out to cabs with minor cracking. Not sure if that applies to cabs with serious splits, or if they will go replacement on those, but at least they are working on something and not ignoring it.

#1323 6 years ago

If your supports look like those on the right get replacements as soon as you can.

Stern having only one complaint is BS. I personally complained (in a nice way) about the joints on my AS then a week later when GB split.

20170429_092850 (resized).jpg20170429_092850 (resized).jpg

#1324 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Stern having only one complaint is BS. I personally complained (in a nice way) about the joints on my AS then a week later when GB split.

I think that was said about Cointaker, not Stern.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

4. CoinTaker told me they have had 1 report of a customer with a split cabinet and it is getting replaced.

#1325 6 years ago

Ok - Thanks - I didn't notice that . I didn't complain to my distributor at all. For one thing I was so pleased with Great American Pinball in getting me my AS so early and it really wasn't the fault of GAP. But I wanted Stern to know there was a problem so I contacted them directly. The problem is fixed now thanks to advice from this thread.

#1326 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

That needs to change Paul. I've seen the pictures so many times, but I definitely want to experience it first hand. I will have to talk to the wife and set aside a day to make that happen when you are available.

When ya do bring some friends.

#1327 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

If your supports look like those on the right get replacements as soon as you can.

and also take a look at how many bolt threads each of those has. The B/W plate has almost twice as many.

#1328 6 years ago

seems like building a solid cabinet should be the easiest step in building a pinball .... just saying
    I would be happy to see a rise in NIB prices if it correlated in a rise in quality
    Would love to buy some NIB Sterns ... just too paranoid now after cabinet and pf quality posts

#1329 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

They are really using those EM-style cabinet bolt plates?!

I didn't think anybody had used those in new pins since the 1980s.

#1330 6 years ago

A family in my neighborhood has a GB Premium with a hairline crack on the front of the cabinet. This machine has all polished chrome hardware so I thought there was a chance that they may have overtightened, but the tension seemed OK to me.

The good news is that there was no ghosting on the playfield.

#1331 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

When ya do bring some friends.

Sounds like another great reason (among many) for me to become one of Les's friends!!

#1332 6 years ago

I fixed (hopefully) the hairline crack on the top front left corner of my GB with wood glue, the B/W brackets, and touch up paint. I did just notice, though, a hairline crack towards the bottom of that corner when I took the leg off. There also seems to be a bit of minor separation on the wood on the underside of the cab leading up to the corner on the left side. I added some glue in those areas (including where there is missing wood), but gravity is bitch when dealing with the cab bottom.

Any idea if the glue and leg brace would arrest separation on the bottom corners as well as the top?

#1333 6 years ago

I haven't seen or heard of any separation problems after the B/W braces installed. Make's you wonder why Stern doesn't just install the braces from factory.

#1334 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are really using those EM-style cabinet bolt plates?!

You just haven't been paying attention. Those little things have been on since forever.

#1335 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You just haven't been paying attention. Those little things have been on since forever.

You are right, I haven't! Surprised, those W/B braces are so great, I've used them to repair EM cabinets. But Stern has been in the cost cutting biz since the DE days so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

#1336 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Make's you wonder why Stern doesn't just install the braces from factory.

Yeah, they could probably get them for 50 cents a piece in quantity. Like $2 per game is gonna shit can their profit margin.

#1337 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Sounds like another great reason (among many) for me to become one of Les's friends!!

Hey I've invited you over before, but you live waaaaaay up in Sartell.

#1338 6 years ago

I started tear down for the resto on my Bally Vampire last night. I started laughing after I removed the armor because I found myself checking the front corners up and down for cracks just out of curiosity, and it was almost as if I started looking as a reflex without even thinking about it (thanks to this thread).

Gotta say though, talk about quality. NOTHING at all...this thing is friggin solid. Built in 1971, 46 years ago. Just thought I would share. Maybe I should send this picture to Stern so they can see how to properly make a cabinet?

Vampire Bally 3 (resized).JPGVampire Bally 3 (resized).JPG

#1339 6 years ago

^^^ wow, is solid looking after all these years!

#1340 6 years ago

most Old USA-made cabinets only fall apart if they get wet or are dropped repeatedly and harshly. Sometimes on 40-50 year old cabs you need to replace the cabinet bolt plates but those cost like 5 bucks (after all those years they get stripped sometimes).

#1341 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

most Old USA-made cabinets only fall apart if they get wet or are dropped repeatedly and harshly. Sometimes on 40-50 year old cabs you need to replace the cabinet bolt plates but those cost like 5 bucks (after all those years they get stripped sometimes).

Definitely what I've seen. This thing is built like a brick shithouse. Vamp is so rare it deserves a full resto, every nut and bolt. It's going to be a process...but sadly I think I'll be done with this before Stern replaces all the PF's and cabs it owes people.

#1342 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I started tear down for the resto on my Bally Vampire last night. I started laughing after I removed the armor because I found myself checking the front corners up and down for cracks just out of curiosity, and it was almost as if I started looking as a reflex without even thinking about it (thanks to this thread).
    Gotta say though, talk about quality. NOTHING at all...this thing is friggin solid. Built in 1971, 46 years ago. Just thought I would share. Maybe I should send this picture to Stern so they can see how to properly make a cabinet?

Same with a lot of houses, there was a different level of pride in craftsmanship. My grandfather who used to build houses would shake his head on some of the ways houses were built in the time that I have bought. To be fair he would also say some things that were done better now also.

#1343 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

and also take a look at how many bolt threads each of those has. The B/W plate has almost twice as many.

A related problem, though, is it seems like Stern is using cheaper wood in AS and Batman cabinets. The "grab" of screws when installing those plates was MUCH less than KISS, etc. It's a bigger problem than just a reinforcement bracket.

#1344 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

To be fair he would also say some things that were done better now also.

Not using 2x8 floor joists was a big step forward.

You go into a quality house nowadays and there is no I-Beam in the center. No posts to block your billiard shots.

The I-Joists span from wall to wall.

40 foot span? No problem.

You can't do that with old 2x10 lumber framing ......

#1345 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

but sadly I think I'll be done with this before Stern replaces all the PF's and cabs it owes people.

So what.

#1346 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Lol at the people who think stern makes cabinets.

#1347 6 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Lol at the people who think stern makes cabinets.

They are making their own cabinets. It's been covered here when they started.

LTG : )

#1348 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They are making their own cabinets. It's been covered here when they started.

So CCC don't supply to Stern anymore?

#1349 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

So CCC don't supply to Stern anymore?

Playfields I believe. Stern last year moved into doing their own cabinets and playfields. Though I believe CGC started doing them again.

#1350 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Playfields I believe. Stern last year moved into doing their own cabinets and playfields. Though I believe CGC started doing them again.

I hope they start doing the cabinets again. I want to buy a TWD premium~!

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.