Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 43.
    #951 6 years ago

Looks like quality control is on the bottom or it has hit the bottom.

#952 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Rock solid right out of the box!

Oh crap. Send it back.

#953 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Wow. Sorry to hear about your game. Just when I thought maybe new games going out are fine...nope. Terrible quality control and at these record NIB prices there's no excuse for cabinets to be made cheaper other then pure greed. I hope Stern takes care of ya and resolves the issue.

Looks like I'll be getting an Alien for my next game.

#954 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow. Sorry to hear about your game. Just when I thought maybe new games going out are fine...nope. Terrible quality control and at these record NIB prices there's no excuse for cabinets to be made cheaper other then pure greed. I hope Stern takes care of ya and resolves the issue.

I have an alien on order too, but how do you know they will be better? Lol.

#955 6 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Exactly. Every single manufacturer has had issues with each of their machines, at least recently.

#956 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good call.

You would have to have absolute shit for brains to buy a NIB from Stern today.

#957 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Well there you have it. I'm obviously wrong about loose leg bolts, and I apologize to any I may have offended. Now we can lay this problem right at the feet of Stern, Inc.

So, even after the GB playfield debacle, and after the multiple issues with BM66, Stern continues to cut costs and deliver an increasingly defective product with Aerosmith.

It's a great time for pinball.

#958 6 years ago

So now I took a flashlight to all my corners. Happy to say no cracks, or separation, but 3 of the 4 corners had that 3/8x 3/8 X1/2 "dowel" missing. Top corners, and one of the bottom looked correct.

I cut mini blocks, used wood glue, and tapped into place. Have no idea if it helps, but would guess it doesn't hurt.

Very sorry to see these issues on any games, regardless of price.

#959 6 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

So now I took a flashlight to all my corners. Happy to say no cracks, or separation, but 3 of the 4 corners had that 3/8x 3/8 X1/2 "dowel" missing. Top corners, and one of the bottom looked correct.
    I cut mini blocks, used wood glue, and tapped into place. Have no idea if it helps, but would guess it doesn't hurt.
    Very sorry to see these issues on any games, regardless of price.

Wood glue (and most others) won't adhere well to painted surfaces. Either remove the paint in that hole or use some kind of epoxy to glue in the mini block.

#960 6 years ago

Man, I am truly sorry that all you guys are having all these problems with brand new games. It shouldn't be that way. I hope you get some kind of help from stern after spending all that cash. I know I would absolutely be having a stroke.

#961 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Wood glue (and most others) won't adhere well to painted surfaces. Either remove the paint in that hole or use some kind of epoxy to glue in the mini block.

Actually took a mini file and got most of the paint off before tapping the blocks in. My guess is it might help those small areas from cracking if they were bumped during a move, but not much more. Thanks for the tip.

#962 6 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Oh they will be (I hope!). The cabinets are not separating and are made well. The playfields are made my Mirco which makes excellent pkayfields. Oh, and the power button is actually in a spot that makes it easy to turn the game on...

#963 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Dialed In! is suddenly looking better......Did I just type that???!!!

That's what the extra $4k is going towards. A better cabinet and complete code.

#964 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

That's what the extra $4k is going towards. A better cabinet and complete code.

If you're comparing it to a Stern Pro, the difference is under $3k. Apples to apples. You can't compare a Stern Pro to a JJP LE.

#965 6 years ago

Terrible, awful, unbelievable!
    Fear not, from behind the curtain some Star Wars razzle dazzle is on the way.

#966 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

How the heck did the bottom split???
    It has a glued corner brace

Sometimes you can't explain it.

This one only split at the bottom, and no amount of clamping force would close the gap again.

The thin, sheet metal corner bracket and #8 screws did nothing to stop the split.

I had to fill it with Fiberglass Resin

8f9dd2eb509129952fe7595a236dbf97225aee07 (resized).jpg8f9dd2eb509129952fe7595a236dbf97225aee07 (resized).jpg

#967 6 years ago

8-Bit Arcade's (Renton, WA) Aerosmith Pro.

IMG_1766 (resized).JPGIMG_1766 (resized).JPG

#968 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

No, this is poor quality, not shipper or abuse of any kind. Stern probably saved a few bucks per machine using this stuff, way to go Stern!
    Keep in mind this is the front of the machine, these are shipped on the backs standing straight up. Hard to damage that area.

Send it F ing back then? No?

#969 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Good call.

Guilty as charged.

#970 6 years ago
    Quoted from ExtremePinball:

So, even after the GB playfield debacle, and after the multiple issues with BM66, Stern continues to cut costs and deliver an increasingly defective product with Aerosmith.
    It's a great time for pinball.

Actually, it really is. And I'll be receiving an ASLE on tuesday.

After GBLE and BMLE. Why? The overwhelming majority are buying these pins.

And I don't care how they perform on location.

#971 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Good call.

Dude, wtf is your problem. It's a non stop bash fest on your part. Who has shit for brains?

#972 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I would probably go the old school route for brackets.
    Make up some triangle wedges, glue them with PVA and staple them into to corners.
    Once that glue dries, the corners will never move.
    Here's the inside of my KISS ... you can see the bottom of the cab has wedges (where the legs are) but there is nothing at the top. Running a wedge up as high as you can would make a big difference.
    Paint em black and they'd look factory too.
    rd

When did KISS start using the new latching lockdown bars?

#973 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Dude, wtf is your problem. It's a non stop bash fest on your part. Who has shit for brains?

It's the worst of Pinside. Personal attacks for buying a new pin, of all things.

FWIW, so far this issue needs significantly more reporting to get to the volume of reported pf issues Stern just had, and it was estimated that those PF issues affected less than 5% of production. So at this time, while the cabinet issues definitely look to have a higher than normal occurrence, there is little indication (or information to judge) at this early juncture that these cabinet issues are affecting much of production. Besides that, won't Stern will make it right for those affected? They have before on the big issues. While I'd be disappointed to see it for sure, I'd expect Stern to fix such a significant problem to those affected customers, as well as to the customer's satisfaction. At least wait until Stern actually doesn't fix it for someone to bring out those pitchforks.

Other than that, I'll let the Stern haters continue with their hyperbole.

#974 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

My problem is with Stern.

I have no issue with you or any of the other good folks on this site.

#975 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

My problem is with Stern.
    I have no issue with you or any of the other good folks on this site.

Well, carry on then Mike and let's hope it works out for everybody.

#976 6 years ago

I honestly think Stern will do nothing to help those affected. I can see them sending some screws and brackets out at no charge. But I'll believe full cabinet replacement when I see it.

#977 6 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

I honestly think Stern will do nothing to help those affected. I can see them sending some screws and brackets out at no charge. But I'll believe full cabinet replacement when I see it.

I don't see them sending out a full cabinet either, that would be a huge expense for them. They sent out populated playfields though for many games, maybe they will do the same here for cabinets.

When people say this issue isn't affecting many games or there isn't an issue...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#978 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

When people say this issue isn't affecting many games...

Well, basic logic and unbiased objectivity has eluded you for a long time...

Some people choose not to see the point other than their own narrative. Nobody yet knows how many games are affected other than it appears to be more than normal.

Instead of debating or acknowledging the data/info so far, some people will rather go with ad hominem attacks .

#979 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Well, basic logic and unbiased objectivity has eluded you for a long time...

Oh yes of course. I've only bought 2 NIB Stern's before (excellent games, ACDC and MET), have owned several others, and recently purchased a bunch of GB mods that are ready to go for a new Ghostbusters Premium that I've been hesitant to now buy because 30+ cabinets in recently built games are splitting.

#980 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yep every post that he makes, every single F'ing post that he makes, he is bashing Stern. Dude needs to get a life for real!

#981 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh yes of course. I've only bought 2 NIB Stern's before (excellent games, ACDC and MET), have owned several others, and recently purchased a bunch of GB mods that are ready to go for a new Ghostbusters Premium that I've been hesitant to now buy because 30+ cabinets in recently built games are splitting.

Irrelevant red herring fallacy. You should realize that your long and voluminous posting history will be known by many and most anyone who hangs around pinside much, and its easily found. You reap what you sow.

#982 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh yes of course. I've only bought 2 NIB Stern's before (excellent games), have owned several others, and recently purchased a bunch of GB mods ready to go for a new Ghostbusters Premium that I've been hesitant to buy because now 30+ cabinets in recently built games are splitting.

Panzer you have been saying you're going to get a new GB for a year now at least, now you say you're going to get an Alien. You let all the Stern haters worry you so much that you will never buy a GB ever so you may as well just sell those mods because you're never going to use them anyway. Some of these problems are obviously legit, but there are a lot of Stern bashes on here that just like to shit on Stern for no reason. You are actually becoming one of those people yourself.

#983 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Panzer you have been saying you're going to get a new GB for a year now at least, now you say you're going to get an Alien. You let all the Stern haters worry you so much that you will never buy a GB ever so you may as well just sell those mods because you're never going to use them anyway. Some of these problems are obviously legit, but there are a lot of Stern bashes on here that just like to shit on Stern for no reason. You are actually becoming one of those people yourself.

Well just know I want to buy a Ghostbusters Premium, I wouldn't have bought the mods otherwise. I will buy one if Stern get's their act together. However, there is clearly another quality issue occurring with cabinets and they are not one offs. In my opinion its not worth the risk to roll the dice on NIB Stern game today, not at these crazy prices.

I've been saying I'm going to buy a new GB for a year because there were playfield issues and now there are cabinet issues. If the games were made correctly in the first place I would already own the one I originally preordered from CoinTaker the day the game was announced over a year ago.

Right now buying a new Stern is like a box of chocolates...

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#984 6 years ago

Remember the JJP cabinet issues? Multiple examples too. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/23#post-3255689

Where was Panzer on that? Nowhere, he was on Stern threads with his broken record negativity. lol.

#985 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Remember the JJP cabinet issues? Multiple examples too. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/23#post-3255689
    Where was Panzer on that? He was on Stern threads with his broken record negativity. lol.

Hmm what Stern threads are you talking about dzoomer? I don't go into Stern game specific threads to bash games, that's not cool and is pointless. Don't make up lies.

I'm very sorry, there are no cabinet issues occurring.

jedimindcontrol (resized).jpgjedimindcontrol (resized).jpg

#986 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hmm what Stern threads are you talking about dzoomer? I don't go into Stern game specific threads to bash games, that's not cool and is pointless. Don't make up lies.

LOL, you've got a real disconnect going on, seriously look at your history (Pinside makes it easy, even chronological). These are two of the most recent Stern game specific threads you've commented in.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gomez-promised-bm66-code-where-is-it?tu=PanzerFreak
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball?tu=PanzerFreak
    No Stern bashing there

#987 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well just know I want to buy a Ghostbusters Premium, I wouldn't have bought the mods otherwise. I will buy one if Stern get's their act together. However, there is clearly another quality issue occurring with cabinets and they are not one offs. In my opinion its not worth the risk to roll the dice on NIB Stern game today, not at these crazy prices.
    I've been saying I'm going to buy a new GB for a year because there were playfield issues and now there are cabinet issues. If the games were made correctly in the first place I would already own the one I originally preordered from CoinTaker the day the game was announced over a year ago.
    Right now buying a new Stern is like a box of chocolates...

Not true Panzer, not true at all and even if you had problems they will fix it. For every cabinet that has issues there are probably 200 that don't. I've bought four new pins in the last year and I've had zero problems with them. I just play the shit out of them and they keep working working working with no issues at all. I just bought a new AS and my cabinet isn't falling apart. My games get opened at the distributor and if there is a busted cabinet I wouldn't accept it and he'd have to go get me another one.

#988 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

LOL, ur crazy, seriously look at your history (Pinside makes it easy, even chronological). These are two of the most recent Stern game specific threads you've commented in.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gomez-promised-bm66-code-where-is-it?tu=PanzerFreak
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball?tu=PanzerFreak
    No Stern bashing there

Oh yes, clearly bashing there in that thread. Oh I forgot any post about questioning quality in a toy that cost $5k-$15k is bashing. Try again. Again, these are not game specific club threads, member only threads, etc. Give me a break. You are now digging through my posting history, lol. Wow.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Complementing Stern's programmers yet questioning how Stern management rushes programmers off to the next project...tisk tisk.

Capture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPG

#989 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh yes, clearly bashing there in that thread... Try again. Again, these are not game specific club threads, member only threads, etc. Give me a break. You are now digging through my posting history, lol. Wow.

You're a poster child for confirmation bias. LOL. Here's some of your "other" posts in those "game specific threads" (your words). And now you say to only look at club or member threads? Perfect example of moving the goal posts, racking up yet another logical fallacy. More weak sauce.

These are simply your posts Pinside pulls up in a few seconds from literally two of the most recent "Stern game specific threads" you've commented in, no digging required, lol. Nice red herring misdirection again.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Iceman, don't even associate JJP with this conversation as they are the only pinball company that seems capable of putting out regular substantial code updates.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, more cost cutting moves. I'm tired of the lame super targets, super ramps and super loops modes too. Those types of modes are filler modes with minimal coding compared to objective based modes.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with having such modes in a game with deep and unique code but Stern doesn't appear to be going in that direction.
    Aerosmith does look pretty slick overall. Hopefully it becomes a great game. Will a premium be close to $8k like Batman 66 premium?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At least the JJP price increases can actually be justified by their loaded up games, the high quality powder coated armor being included on LE'S (not baked on enamel), invisiglass and shaker motors being included on LE's and code updates being released on a regular basis.
    Myself and others wouldn't have a problem with Sterns price increases if the quality remained the same, games were not being stripped down and code updates didn't in some cases take over a year to be released (KISS...).
    The value factor just isn't there anymore with Stern games but still is with JJP games. Just my own personal opinion. Prices have gotten out of control on both sides and with each price increase the potential customer base grows smaller.
    Hopefully Aerosmith is the game to change that mold. I think the pro looks pretty darn slick and can see owning one as long as it's supported well with code updates.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Seems like something changed with either the wood or clear coat Stern is now using as their playfields are dimpling more severely then ever. I've heard this from a few people. At least the insert ghosting issues are resolved.
    Below is a pic of a newer Batman 66 Premium on route....

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The pro seems like a decent "deal" for what it comes with but $1800 more to get a premium that only offers an upper playfield that honestly is very limited in terms of what it can do? Then another $1300 for different artwork going from the premium to LE for baked on enamel armor and a tiny LE plaque? Really Stern, just wow.

#990 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not true Panzer, not true at all and even if you had problems they will fix it. For every cabinet that has issues there are probably 200 that don't. I've bought four new pins in the last year and I've had zero problems with them. I just play the shit out of them and they keep working working working with no issues at all. I just bought a new AS and my cabinet isn't falling apart. My games get opened at the distributor and if there is a busted cabinet I wouldn't accept it and he'd have to go get me another one.

Glad to hear your Aerosmith cabinet is good. I played one last weekend and it's a great game. That's awesome your distributor is opening the game and is checking it for you. I will check if my distributor can do the same as that would give me at least a little more assurance with buying a game.

#991 6 years ago

I love my GB pro. Playing every day, no issues at all and wow....This is a FUN game!!

#992 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Your a poster child for confirmation bias. LOL.

I'm going to up vote that post, thanks. In nearly all of those quotes I was also complementing Stern. However, don't question anything! Don't try to offer pros and cons! If you do you are biased. Yes biased towards JJP when I have purchased 2 NIB Stern's and I'm buying an Alien. lol! I've complained about JJP as well, go find those.

#993 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I love my GB pro. Playing every day, no issues at all and wow....This is a FUN game!!

We should start a thread to see how many people have new Sterns that don't have bad cabinets. Maybe that would convince Panzer that is ok to go buy his new Ghostbusters machine.

#994 6 years ago

Can someone recommend a good place to find the smaller L-brackets for the cabinet? Going to attempt a repair on GB (along with the Leg Brackets) and want to make sure to get the right ones along with correct screw sizes. I think I read it a while back in the thread but cannot find it.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Chris

#995 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

We should start a thread to see how many people have new Sterns that don't have bad cabinets. Maybe that would convince Panzer that is ok to go buy his new Ghostbusters machine.

I know there's plenty of new Stern games without issues. That isn't the concern. My concern is that there is a noticeable uptick in games with cabinet quality issues. Your game is perfect, awesome, well the next guy that got a new game has his cabinet splitting. Great for you but it sure sucks for the other guy. Again, rolling dice.

#996 6 years ago

Ive been quietly calling around looking for a Metallica Premium NIB.....a little concerned now...

#997 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm going to up vote that post, thanks. Don't question anything! Don't try to offer pros and cons! If you do you are biased. Yes biased towards JJP when I have purchased 2 NIB Stern's and I'm buying an Alien. lol! I've complained about JJP as well, go find those.

Another red herring fallacy distraction, even trying to wrap yourself in the cloak of virtue, lol. May as well try as it's hard otherwise to refute direct quotes and evidence. FWIW, it's also obvious you apply those behaviors very differently between manufacturers; it is eloquently demonstrated with the earlier linked JJP cabinet issue posts.

And you literally had over 40 posts in this thread before continuing your broken-record diatribe and attacking my observations and feedback (which was my second post in the thread), and to which you have literally offered no evidence to support discounting it. Stranger still, your last post reiterates what I basically posted, and which you attacked not much earlier. Can't make this up.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I know there's plenty of new Stern games without issues. That isn't the concern. My concern is that there is a noticeable uptick in games with cabinet quality issues.

'
    '
    '
    '
    '

Quoted from spida1a:

Can someone recommend a good place to find the smaller L-brackets for the cabinet? Going to attempt a repair on GB (along with the Leg Brackets) and want to make sure to get the right ones along with correct screw sizes. I think I read it a while back in the thread but cannot find it.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Chris

Why not try to get a replacement or fix from Stern first? If it's a new machine it should be rectified by them.

#998 6 years ago

Brackets can be found at ACE or Tractor supply.

While I have 1 corner split on both AS and GB (they were not split upon delivery) I really like both these
    games otherwise. Stern can make a really fun game. I'm going to fix the splits and move on but Stern must
    fix this for future owners.

When I lift the playfield of WOZ and compare to GB/AS it's amazing how much stuff Stern has removed but
    the game still seems to play well. The JJP games by comparison are built like a brick shithouse but I've
    had many more problems with WOZ, not cabinet problems but electrical gremlins. So I for one would
    buy Stern again...I'd buy JJP again. Maybe I really do have shit for brains.

#999 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

8-Bit Arcade's (Renton, WA) Aerosmith Pro.

Well that will certainly make the Op want to keep buying Stern machines...

#1000 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

We should start a thread to see how many people have new Sterns that don't have bad cabinets.

My early first run GB Pro would be on it, no pf issues either.

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/20?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.