Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,136 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190318_175225274 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175228007 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175307198 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190318_175405580 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-16-14-32-28 (resized).png
    BM66cab (resized).jpg
    IMG_3603 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3605 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3604 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3601 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3602 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3600 (resized).jpg
    industry titan (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-17-53-06 (resized).png
    698F0DA8-4AB3-4602-862C-88E94EFA4BE3 (resized).jpeg
    nothing (resized).jpg
    There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 43.
    #701 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Having read through this thread, anyone who is in the market for any upcoming Stern title should give it some serious thought. A few observations:
    "Stern has a problem with code completion. Are you comfortable with this knowing that it may indeed never be completed?"
    Yes, stick with Lyman and Dwight and you won't be disappointed, primarily Lyman, in fact you get some of the greatest pins ever. OR just wait and buy when it actually gets completed.
    "Stern has had some serious playfield issues. Can you live with that?"
    Yes, the Pf's with issues are being replaced and dealt with and it doesn't seem to matter much to the masses. Ghostbusters is one of Stern's biggest sellers ever.
    "Stern has increased their prices somewhat dramatically while reducing quality. Most would find this unacceptable."
    And yet they keep selling pins people want in record numbers. Why is that?
    "Stern now has cabinet-integrity issues. My question is, and I'm not trying to be a wiseass-WHY are people still patronizing Stern?"
    Answer the question, why do you think people are still buying Stern pins and the line for Star Wars is around the block?

You have some nice Sterns in your collection so maybe you could answer your questions. Just sayin.

#702 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You have some nice Sterns in your collection so maybe you could answer your questions. Just sayin.

You guys know my answer. I love pinball and they kick ass and are a ton of fun.

The LCD and new Spike system and sound is phenomenal. Much better than my Woz as much as I love it

They make kick ass themes with awesome artwork

And you can actually buy one without having to wait months and years. Did Woz and TH time frame of years, now doing Alien, No thanks. Despite code delays I'd rather have a pin to play

They have a load of new pins coming out this year and we will continue to hear the screams of "take my money"

Starting with Star Wars. Did I mention you can't even get on a SWLE wait list that isn't a mile long

And the $5200 pro price is right?

I'm wondering why it's so perplexing to some and why some are so concerned with how other people spend their money

But hey, it's pinball and a lot of shit is perplexing. Especially how we got to standard pricing for a game is now $9k plus

#703 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The LCD and new Spike system and sound is phenomenal. Much better than my Woz as much as I love it
    And you can actually buy one without having to wait months and years. Did Woz and TH time frame of years, now doing Alien, No thanks. Despite code delays I'd rather have a pin to play
    They have a load of new pins coming out this year and we will continue to hear the screams of "take my money"
    Starting with Star Wars. Did I mention you can't even get on a SWLE wait list that isn't a mile long
    I'm wondering why it's so perplexing to some and why some are so concerned with how other people spend their money
    But hey, it's pinball and a lot of shit is perplexing. Especially how we got to standard pricing for a game is now $9k plus

Yup.

#704 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There's something to be said for quality over quantity. I think Stern making more games per year then ever is part of the reason why their quality and code support has been faltering.

#705 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's something to be said for quality over quantity. I think Stern making more games per year then ever is part of the reason why their quality and code support has been faltering.

Can't upvote this statement enough, it's soooooooooooo true!

#706 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well my Met Pro, ST Pro, Mustang Pro, Avatar LE and GB Pro are all still perfect so I must be lucky then.

#707 7 years ago

I started a thread specifically about their cabinets missing wood in the bottom corners now...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-pinball-cabinets-missing-wood

#708 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well my Met Pro, ST Pro, Mustang Pro, Avatar LE and GB Pro are all still perfect so I must be lucky then.

I must be lucky also because in the past year ive bought a TWD, GOT, GB, and AS ane I play the hell out of them and they are on carpet even to where the machine wont slide at all and ive had zero problems. I dont nudge stupidly hard but I definitely nudge, especially on TWD and GB.

#709 7 years ago

"All pinball games playfields dimple and plank, inserts ghost and sink, and have their cabinets crack and split to some extent, it is just a matter of age and time, not "if". Do what thousands of owners have done before you, be preventative on damage you can avoid, fix what you can, and accept the rest."

- TBK

#710 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I must be lucky also because in the past year ive bought a TWD, GOT, GB, and AS ane I play the hell out of them and they are on carpet even to where the machine wont slide at all and ive had zero problems. I dont nudge stupidly hard but I definitely nudge, especially on TWD and GB.

Ya know I think it's like buying a car, they say never buy one that was built on a Monday.

#711 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ya know I think it's like buying a car, they say never buy one that was built on a Monday.

Theres going to be defective games here and there, nothing you can do about it. What matters to me is that Stern fixes the problem in a timely manner. They have been fixing the problems seems like but they have been way too slow about it sometimes. I honestly don't think their games are low quality, I just think they've had some issues lately. My Aerosmiths playfield looks amazing. It has a very nice clear coat job on it seems like.

#712 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Theres going to be defective games here and there, nothing you can do about it. What matters to me is that Stern fixes the problem in a timely manner. They have been fixing the problems seems like but they have been way too slow about it sometimes. I honestly don't think their games are low quality, I just think they've had some issues lately. My Aerosmiths playfield looks amazing. It has a very nice clear coat job on it seems like.

I can't complain about the quality that's for sure.

#713 7 years ago

all 3 of mine are holding up so far

#714 7 years ago

Mine are all fine. I think the positives just get zero representation. Of all my recent Sterns the only issue I have had was the crinkled decals on KISS. No ghosting, no splits, one spike node board that was replaced immediately. No issues worth complaining about. Nothing. Just fun, frequent pinball whenever I want it.

#715 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"All pinball games playfields dimple and plank, inserts ghost and sink, and have their cabinets crack and split to some extent, it is just a matter of age and time, not "if". Do what thousands of owners have done before you, be preventative on damage you can avoid, fix what you can, and accept the rest."
    - TBK

Dude, love the sentiment, but FFS stop quoting yourself! Shakespeare, Tennyson, Twain get quotes, not you. And no matter how many times you do it, your content does not automatically become quotable by decree.

#716 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Dude, love the sentiment, but FFS stop quoting yourself! Shakespeare, Tennyson, Twain get quotes, not you. And no matter how many times you do it, your content does not automatically become quotable by decree.

Worked for Michael Jackson. Called himself the King of Pop in his PR until people eventually started calling him that, too. Takes dedication, that's all.

#717 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Worked for Michael Jackson. Called himself the King of Pop in his PR until people eventually started calling him that, too. Takes dedication, that's all.

"I'm rockin the suburbs
    Just like Michael Jackson did.
    I'm rockin the suburbs
    Except he was talented."

-Ben Folds

#718 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I could drop this Gottlieb on my head and it still wouldn't break.

Prove it!

#719 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I thought he was quoting TBK!

#720 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I could drop this Gottlieb on my head and it still wouldn't break.

Cabinet is only made of wood O-din dropping it on a rock would smash it in half

#721 7 years ago

Whatever Stern did in 2015 to cut costs just hasn't worked.

Anyone can see there have been serious issues and these are not 'normal' run of the mill problems.

No doubt they will or already have made changes to manufacturing processes but I will treat this era like I would an old game.

So, ideally see in person before buying.

#722 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, ideally see in person before buying.

Like they always say "Never buy a NIB without fully inspecting it".

#723 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

No doubt they will or already have made changes to manufacturing processes but I will treat this era like I would an old game.

Are you sure they changed the manufacturing process? I kept hearing that about the playfields, and yet there were still ghosted ones coming out of the factory.

#724 7 years ago

So the left front of my GB Prem cabinet is starting to split, much like many of the others posted. I've had the game for about six weeks. Has anyone contacted Stern about this? I'm curious what they are saying (or not saying) at this point.

IMG_5299 (resized).JPGIMG_5299 (resized).JPG

IMG_5300 (resized).JPGIMG_5300 (resized).JPG

#725 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

So the left front of my GB Prem cabinet is starting to split, much like many of the others posted. I've had the game for about six weeks. Has anyone contacted Stern about this? I'm curious what they are saying (or not saying) at this point.

Shocking that anyone would try to justify this as normal wear and tear.

Hopefully, you paid for the machine with a credit card. Now would be a good time to contact them.

#726 7 years ago

The credit card extends the warranty, but I'm not sure if the bare bones Stern warranty even texhnically covers cabinet damage like this (though like the crappy playfields, Stern will have to address this somehow). I'll definitely explore the options.

#727 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

This actually looks like the laminate separating, not the joint failing. Yes, it's still something going bad, but I think the issue may be with the ply they are using and not with suggested manufacturing changes.

#728 7 years ago

Looks more like chipping than anything else.

#729 7 years ago

I think the solution is for stern to raise their prices again.

#730 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I hope so, that way my Bally Williams machines will also rise in price.

#731 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

a corner brace and a sharpie and you're good...

#732 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

a corner brace and a sharpie and you're good...

Will this help even if the laminate is separating?

#733 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Will this help even if the laminate is separating?

No, that would have to be re glued. But they will keep your cab from splitting.

IMGA0087 (resized).JPGIMGA0087 (resized).JPG

#734 7 years ago

If that's all it takes, and it doesn't get any worse down the road, I guess that's ok but the quality is disappointing. I still think everyone with this issue should call Stern so they are aware of the extent of the problem and that buyers are not happy--even if it can be corrected. Who knows, maybe they will send out some sort of kit that would fix it better than my DIY attempt.

I love this game, and will give Stern a chance to make things right with existing problems and improve quality going forward, but I will definitely give a closer look at the other companies for my second pin--especially with all the good choices coming out soon.

#735 7 years ago

Would i need to get longer leg bolts to work with the added leg bolt plates ?

#736 7 years ago

Went to home depot today and looked at the gussett tie that vireland posted. I think its too big to fit on either side without hitting the flipper switch or the shooter rod mounting plate. You could mount it lower but then you're just moving away from the apparent trouble area based on the pictures posted so far.

Instead, I'm going to try this. I think it'll fit near the top of the cabinet on either side with little to no modification. Might need to move the grounding braid out of the way, but that beats taking a dremel to something.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Heavy-Duty-Corner-Brace-2-Pack-15442/202034088

My cabinets are fine, this is just cheap insurance. I'm sure Stern would make any real issues right like they are with playfields, but I'd gladly drop the 5 bucks extra per game to have a little peace of mind.

#737 7 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Would i need to get longer leg bolts to work with the added leg bolt plates ?

If you had my mod on yes. In my picture see how the threads of the 2 3/4 inch bolts just barely come out the back. But I also kept the stock cab protectors on also. Measure the bolts that are on your game now.

#738 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

This actually looks like the laminate separating, not the joint failing. Yes, it's still something going bad, but I think the issue may be with the ply they are using and not with suggested manufacturing changes.

Clearly as previous pictures show they have adjusted the underlying design substrate without sufficient prior real world testing.

You can't expect the outer structure to maintain its integrity if it is built on a poor foundation.

Either it is just another deliberate attempt at more cost cutting to save on the overall BOM or they have decided that once again early adopter purchasers can be the beta testers and any fallout from it will as per the ghosting playfields be addressed on a clandestine case by case basis. If the fallout and cost of returns is deemed acceptable by those controlling the purse strings (Hagerty Peterson) then expect to see more of the same in future releases.

I'm just glad I stopped rewarding mediocrity a long time ago.

Quoted from zr11990:

Pushing the pricing envelope and wait for the tipping/breaking point (BM66) then pull back slightly on the next couple of releases. Then watch everyone nodding their heads in approval at the great pricing strategy that was planned from the outset.

They could theoretically repeat this price cycle for years with every few releases being over the top pricing on a particular title then drop it back for the next couple.

#739 7 years ago

I was on the phone with Chas today, 5+ months of a mostly unplayable and failing NIB and Stern could care less. I check in weekly with my distro. The tens of hours I have wasted are incredible, at my billable rate I could have driven it to Stern and lit it on fire on their lawn and come out ahead! If I posted the voicemail Chas left me to call him back this week, pinside would explode at how insane and incompetent Stern is. My distro is at Stern Wednesday so hope to get answers this week.

Stern has a long list of problems, cabinets are only the latest, and they will ignore it as much as possible, because they know if they do most people give up.

#740 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

The credit card extends the warranty, but I'm not sure if the bare bones Stern warranty even texhnically covers cabinet damage like this (though like the crappy playfields, Stern will have to address this somehow). I'll definitely explore the options.

that should come under "defective manufacturing", which regardless of how shitty the warranty is, that buyer should be covered for a full refund.... consumer law.... i guess it doesnt relate to pinball though.

#741 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Who knows, maybe they will send out some sort of kit that would fix it better than my DIY attempt.

another "repair kit " !!... for a freaking NIB... sweet mother of.......

"THEY DONT MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO" !

#742 7 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

I'm sure Stern would make any real issues right like they are with playfields, but I'd gladly drop the 5 bucks extra per game to have a little peace of mind.

Stern will quietly fix this issue and act like nothing ever happened. Meanwhile all those with affected cabinets will be left out in the cold. Typical Stern bullshit. For every person like myself who is finished buying their products they have 10 suckers lining up to buy the next title. It's kind of funny and also really sad the way they do business. Everything is so secretive and guarded like they've found the cure for cancer. At the end of the day they're just an overpriced toy maker. Btw please let use know how those braces work out for you if you decide to try them.

#743 7 years ago

Btw please let use know how those braces work out for you.

Is there any difference between the DE/SEGA/Stern braces compared to the Bally/Williams ones?

#744 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Is there any difference between the DE/SEGA/Stern braces compared to the Bally/Williams ones?

I'm not really sure. I was referring to the link zucot posted about the Home Depot braces.

#745 7 years ago

I'm not really sure. I was referring to the link zucot posted about the Home Depot braces.

Doesn't look like any difference but someone must know. Just wondering which would be best I guess the stern ones but a lot are buying the Williams ones?

#746 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Doesn't look like any difference but someone must know. Just wondering which would be best I guess the stern ones but a lot are buying the Williams ones?

I bought the Bally/Williams ones but haven't put them on yet. Not sure if it's even worth it because the cabinets seem to be splitting from the top down.

#747 7 years ago

I put upper corner brackets on my ST Pro yesterday and was very surprised at how much it stiffened up the cabinet.

#748 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

I called Chas and sent him pics while we were on the phone. He said they will review it and let me know within a week. It's been 5 days and I haven't heard anything back yet. Will give them a couple more days and follow-up.

#749 7 years ago

I sent an email to Stern. No reply yet.

#750 7 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

I called Chas and sent him pics while we were on the phone. He said they will review it and let me know within a week. It's been 5 days and I haven't heard anything back yet. Will give them a couple more days and follow-up.

Typically, you have to give Stern 2 years before there may, or may not, be a resolution.

There are 2,136 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.