(Topic ID: 104199)

Stern's marketing needs.......Well....they just need some!

By cooked71

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

french-sign.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Or maybe it's because I work for an advertising agency....and Stern's advertising model is complete suicide! *or* death by 1000 cuts.
    When every sale counts....you make sure people buy your product...or in the case of two posts above this one...they go and buy a woz instead.

Stern's business is growing without changing their marketing strategies, so not sure how you can say it is complete suicide. Stern doesn't need to sell every single possible machine of one title that they can. They always have the next machine in the wings.

My guess is Stern knows way more about their business and what they need or do not need to do than most people posting on Pinside.

#53 9 years ago

Your point is good for now....but believe me when other companies like dutch pinball (TBL looks like its going to be awesome), JJP with 2 more games coming out and the new guys at silver castle pinball release time shock...... it's gonna take more than just 5 pictures and rely on the pinmaniacs to deliver the message for you.

Sorry, but I can't believe you, because you are talking about stuff that hasn't happened yet. You could be the smartest advertising dude on the planet and still not be certain about what is going to happen when (or in most cases, if is more likely) any other manufacturer produces enough machines to make any difference to Stern's business. Out of those you mention maybe JJP, but they have to get their machines to market faster if they want to be a serious threat.

#84 9 years ago

Let's see... what was I saying about Stern getting caught with their pants down! With the TBL prototypes shown last night at a reveal party at the "Lebowski" of all places. The pins on a nice "Lebowski Rug". The entire game up for review by Pinball News and Pinball Magazine with a "somewhat live commentary" on this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-pinball-prototype-presentation-reveal with highres shots from the get go and with some video to boot all in the same night.
    Game with nice LCD display....beautiful art package (it almost feels vintage and modern)...awesome toys.
    The game looks awesome and the amount of money it cost to organize that event is well worth it. Some people are looking at their TWDLE pre-orders and considering waiting (as mentioned in the linked thread).
    When a machine cost $8.5K is doesnt' take too long before you lose $100K in sales.

Either way, We are talking about marketing tactic here....and clearly... Stern's just has no imagination what so ever.

Agreed on the nice TBL presentation. However right now it is all flash, no substance. The toys look cool, the lights look cool, the machine looks amazing, so as a piece of pinball art in your basement, thumbs up. For me it is about how it will play. Will it be fast? Will the modes be interesting? Do the video clips get monotonous? Is it all tied together thematically or just activating one toy over another?

As for marketing, everyone already knows a lot about TWD, I would argue even more than they do about TBL as people have actually played TWD. People know about the product. There is already a schedule of launch parties throughout next month hand in hand with the ifpa where people will be playing the machines.

So exactly where is Stern's marketing screwing up? By not having a party in a small bar with one non-working machine so people can get in an uproar about pretty lights and some video on a screen? Seriously?

#102 9 years ago

My point exactly. Stern should get their shit together when it comes to game releases & code releases. Because like you mentioned they can't afford a dud. And you can't afford to piss some of your clients off. Call me self-centred if you want to but every sale counts..even to this minority on pinside.
    I've never purchased a NIB from Stern because of the code fiascos alone / their price increases / lack of coordination. Now multiply that by the amount of people that are like me and just calculate the amounts of sales they are missing on. When a game is 5K and you lose ... oh let's just say 45 people this way.... it's no big deal...it's just 225K :O

Interesting math. Not sure where you came up your numbers. By your own admission, you and people like you have never bought a NIB machine from Stern. So 45 people who haven't contributed any cash to Stern has suddenly lost them 225k?

Not even sure you can say these mythical 45 customers would buy a machine if Stern changed their strategy because you state one of the reasons you haven't bought a machine because of price increases. Changing their marketing strategy wouldn't get you as a customer, nor the 45, so again, zero lost sales for Stern.

For those sales to truly be lost, we would have to assume that those 45 machines that they didn't sell to your non-existant buyers wouldn't be bought by someone else who doesn't have your same problems with Stern. I am sure Stern doesn't really care if Bob or Charlie ends up with a machine, as long as it sells.

Now tack on these release setbacks (TWD shop flyer....one facebook post...no video).....it's not so important now because most people mentioned on here that they're is no real competition. Well with TBL getting released a few months after TWDLE...some people might swing the other way now. The TBL announcement the other day was coordinated, simple and effective.

How are these "release setbacks"? Stern is doing what they have always done, and what they have always done has caused their business to grow and sell more machines over the last couple of years than Dutch Pinball can even dream of at the moment. I agree there is room for improvement, but the conclusions you keep jumping to and posting about over and over and over aren't based on anything concrete, just idle speculation and opinion.

In five years if Stern is in financial trouble and Dutch Pinball and JJP own the market and selling thousands of machines, and you poll people as to why and they say marketing is the primary reason, then I guess I will be eating crow.

However, my opinion is that as long as Stern keeps making fun to play pins, based on popular themes they will be selling machines as long as people are buying them whether or not they properly coordinate the release of their flyers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-marketing-needswellthey-just-need-some?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.