(Topic ID: 104199)

Stern's marketing needs.......Well....they just need some!

By cooked71

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

french-sign.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

Stern has marketing. Here's the thing, Jody isn't spending all day worrying about Pinside. He's working to get the pinball message out to the people who aren't spending all their time finding things out for themselves anyways. He's a smart guy, he knows the deal.

This cycle happens on every game, we're passionate and we run hold or cold at the drop of a hat. Stern doesn't need to worry about us.

I know it's hard to believe, but we're not the center of the universe here.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

aurich, that is a safe reply. Could they of done a better job introducing TWD pin to the world? Yes or no and if yes how. It seems like your answer is no as Jody is a smart guy.

I mean, I don't know the real story, maybe the Blu-Ray thing was a F-up. Maybe it was rushed out the door. Maybe the code needed a few more weeks for even "first release" and they're scrambling. I dunno.

But that's not "marketing".

I talked with Jody the other day, and I asked him about the video thing. They know the community is going to shoot video and share it, and they're 100% cool with that. Yes, it's not controlling all the messaging, but they're not worried about it.

Here's the reality: these things are on the line before they're baked. That's just the nature of the business. I don't think delaying things for 8 months is an option. They need to keep the line running. So the model now is make the games, get them working, and then they get patched and updated over time to mature.

If you buy early you're basically a beta tester.

We're the hardest of the hardcore. We have short term memories apparently, but it's like this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. With the games we love. AC/DC and Spider-Man and Metallica? Games people rave about? Same shit. See RGR's zombie thread about how boring AC/DC is from a couple years ago.

Jody needs to be expanding the market. Getting press with other non-pin places. Talking to the virtual pinball people about games. And yes, pushing The Pin. Which we laugh at here, but it sells to a different audience, and they may "grow up" to be real pinball collectors.

I'm sure they'll shoot an official video. Later, when the code is more mature and the initial frenzy has died down.

In the meantime we're going to be all RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE no matter what. The game is gonna be awesome! Oh wow, it sucks! Oh wait, maybe it's okay. etc etc

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from bb2j3z:

However I'm surprised at the marketing internet wise... it feels like a one man operation. Not expecting the level of Apple, but it's woefully deficient when I compare it to video games.

Well, it is a one man operation, how big do you think Stern is?

Video games? Really? Stern tries to sell a few thousand machines. Video game sales now are counted in the millions. You simply cannot compare them.

Let me ask you all this: do any of you not know TWD is out?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

And anyone that is intersted in this pinball is going to find Pinside with their Google search.

Anyone interested in this pinball is already someone who knows about it. They're not the people marketing needs to be reaching.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Aurich I think I will disagree with you one most of your points. But mainly this one

How do you achieve that when you have no video, no pictures, no advertising tactic in hand and ready to deploy?

Remember how I shared high rez pics here when I put this story up?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/got-bit-fever-hit-the-walking-dead-pinball-shambles-into-game-rooms/

Where exactly do you think I got those nice high rez photos from?

#101 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

if they want to expand their audience they need to make the effort to do so...

I'm just curious why you think they're not?

I mean, we crapped all over Mustang here, but they had lines of machines at autoshows. That's was brilliant. Think of the number of people who probably at least tried it who'd never played a pinball or hadn't seen one in years, let alone the foot traffic. That's some out of the box thinking.

Metallica was selling like hotcakes partially because they tapped the fan club, a whole new audience.

Think about the number of people here who say they got into the hobby from playing Pinball Arcade on their iPad or whatever. Stern gets that, they'd like to do more of their games there. What if when a game shipped the digital version also went for sale at the same time, and you could "test drive" it? That's a possibility Stern has looked at.

I think TBL looks absolutely amazing, best pin reveal in ages. But it's also $8500, and it would be suicide for Stern to try and price all their games like that. You think average people are going to spend that on a pin? Hard enough to pay for a Stern Pro ... We have to be careful where we compare things.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Stern (and other manufacturers) may be trying to market to new customers, but the fact that their customer base is not rapidly expanding says one of two things: marketing is lacking, or the product is too narrowly focused to appease the existing customer base.

Well to that I'd say two things:

1) How do we know their base isn't expanding? This is the problem with this discussion, we don't have any data.

2) The elephant in the room is the price. It's more than marketing or appeal, it's $5000 toys. The solution to which, as much as Pinside scoffs at it, is The Pin. And guess what? They're selling them. Just not to us. See point 1.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-marketing-needswellthey-just-need-some?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.