CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Corrects a number of issues that made the Spider-Man home (and The Pin before it) look so bad:
Actual plunger
Coin Door
Legs outside the cabinet
No speaker on your right gonad
Proper sized and proportioned head
The small LCD makes sense too as it's proportional to the original, just smaller. The overall look is pretty professional. It appears to be a full-size pinball machine, and that's been the main obstacle no home game has overcome yet. I love the look of the head reminds me of a System 9 game.
Depending on price they could sell some.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Corrects a number of issues that made the Spider-Man home (and The Pin before it) look so bad:
Actual plunger
Coin Door
Legs outside the cabinet
No speaker on your right gonad
Proper sized and proportioned head
The small LCD makes sense too as it's proportional to the original, just smaller. The overall look is pretty professional. It appears to be a full-size pinball machine, and that's been the main obstacle no home game has overcome yet. I love the look of the head reminds me of a System 9 game.
Depending on price they could sell some.

You've got to remember that previous Stern home games had almost ZERO support. No manuals. No schematics. No code updates. Not even mentioned on the Stern website any more. Stern completely ignores "The Pin" owners.

#396 4 years ago

So we've had Transformers the Pin, Avengers the Pin, Spiderman Home, and with ZERO support from Stern. No manuals, no schematics, no SD card image backups, and no code updates. Heck, these machines aren't even on Stern's website (Did we make that? ). What makes people think this new Star Wars Home will be any different? In two months it probably won't even be on Stern's website any more.

#402 4 years ago

I'm assuming since it has a "blank" coin door, that the test/volume switch assembly is present?

Are there any pictures of the insides of this machine?

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If they were going to target a big box store to have one of these on display and take orders then a large national electronics retailer such as Best Buy would be the way to go.
Wide age demographic with customers who are into electronics, high end audio video and other tech items.

Stern did try selling machines in Best Buy several years ago.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All endless bitching and joking aside, a pinball company HAS had success with the home model before, sold via retail - Bally sold a ton of Fireball and Captain Fantastic home units. And those games are pretty good, and have a decent pro feel despite being 3/4 size or whatever.
That was a much different time however, pinball was huge, and this was the closest possible home option for most people. I don't think those Bally home games were cheap, either. Anybody know the price and the comparison to an actual NIB game back then?

And those Bally home models used a full sized commercial playfield in a smaller cabinet. It still felt like a solidly built cabinet and the play felt like a commercial machine. It also used commercial Bally assemblies on the playfield. Even included the standard playfield prop rod for servicing the playfield.

At the time they were introduced, I believe the Bally home models retailed for $895.

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quite expensive really!
But the home entertainment options were much more limited back then. But I think this is the closest comparison in pinball history to what Stern is trying today. What was a Bally NIB back when those games came out? $1200?

Yes indeed home entertainment was limited in those days. As I recall, a brand new commercial Bally pinball such as Evel Knievel retailed at $1595. I think some distributors sold them as low as $1450 to some operators.

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For me, the coin door and lockdown bar is more about serviceability. It's important and separates it from being "a toy" imitation of a pinball machine.

Yes. I agree. Even a "blank" coin door has a place for the service/test/volume switch assembly. It also allows you to reach in and unlatch the lockdown bar so you can slide out the glass.

#449 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

But they only made 2 models - can’t have been too successful for whatever reason.

Bally made four home model pinball machines:

Fireball (two production runs, first with series 1 boardsets, second run with series 2 boardsets)

Evel Knievel

Captain Fantastic

Galaxy Rangers

#470 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

1) Most home owners are not going to open the pin so moot point.
2) Going to the Bally style hinged glass and frame from the early 70's is just going to jack the price since it is going to be a part unique to "home pin." Off the shelf glass and lockbar for lowest price.

That style of glass frame must be substantial to prevent the frame from twisting and stressing the glass (could shatter the glass if frame twists). I think it would be way costly for Stern to do it that way. Standard side rails, lockdown bar, and standard playfield glass would be more practical and economical.

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes. Not sure if its just one coil or two coils and one transistor. Wouldn't make sense to go through that to only save one transistor.

Maybe they are paralleling the slingshot switches or pop bumper switches to save on a switch matrix?

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I read a post yesterday from an older thread that manuals etc have been extremely poor for these home games - not sure how true this.

More like non-existent.

#499 4 years ago

Be interesting to see if a shaker motor and a real knocker can be added to this machine.

#516 4 years ago

I've now started a section on pinwiki for Stern Home Model pins:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stern_Pinball_Home_Models

Help is appreciated in getting more information in it.

1 week later
#552 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

And for the tech guys:
The whole game runs with only ONE (!!!) node board (which explains the simultaniously firing slingshots and stuff).

So if that node board craps out you are dead in the water and have a 250 pound paperweight.

4 weeks later
#571 4 years ago

I see the only "documentation" available at Stern's website is a sales flyer. Still no manuals or game code.

1 week later
#575 4 years ago

I see in the unboxing video, there is no cabinet woofer speaker. Hole and grill is there, but no speaker.

#600 4 years ago

The fact that previous "The Pin" machines aren't even on Stern's website nor have any manuals/schematics ever been issued doesn't exactly instill confidence in these machines. These machines, just like any other pinball machines, are going to break at some point and need a technician to repair it for the machine owner. It is vital for a technician to have the necessary information at his fingertips (switch matrix, lamp matrix, coil wiring, driver transistor numbers, etc) in order to make repairs quickly and correctly regardless of whether it's in the owner's home, or even in an office or waiting room.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

A manual is rarely needed. Mostly just for part numbers.

How about for the switch matrix? Lamp matrix? Coil wiring? Driver transistor number/location?

The manuals used to explain in detail what each software adjustment did and what the factory default is.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Hate to say it, but the inflated $4k price is likely due in part to the fact that it is made in one of the most costly labor/regulatory markets anywhere. If it were assembled in China or some SE Asian country it could probably be profitably priced more in the $2-2.5k range, which would make the BOM/features compromises a lot easier to swallow.

You mean like Thunderbirds?

1 week later
#619 4 years ago

Well, 60 days now since this game was announced. Still the only thing available for it is a sales flyer on Stern's website. So much for support. :rolleyes:

3 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 4,999.99
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Redlands, CA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 4,999.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-?tu=kenlayton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.