Topic Stats

• 622 posts
  • 240 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 36 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8C2CF99B-507E-42C2-AA9F-3B5CF42730DA (resized).png
SWH1 (resized).png
SWH3 (resized).png
SHW2 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 12.02.50 PM (resized).png
SWH2 (resized).jpg
SWH (resized).jpg
894B49E2-7C31-4FFB-A30F-5F6C259A1274 (resized).jpeg
CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#322 3 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why would they buy a 4k pinball game they don't want or never considered? There just isn't a market for these games... as it is I think Pinball games cost too much now. Just a few short years ago new pinball games cost as much as this new home game.

People love coming over to my place and playing, when I start talking prices their eyes get all round. None of them are dropping 4k for a pin let alone 7.5k

Is there a market for this pin at $4000? Stern thinks so and they may only have to sell 500 or 1000 for all I know to be "successful"

There is also profit in churning out more games as cost for parts drops with volume. If a number of pieces interchange with the "commercial" pins then that is a win for Stern. They will sell those at the same price and the cost to make them dropped.

#391 3 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

The only point I have gleaned from all these posts is that the coin door does not have coin slots. Is this the only reason ?

Which considering the vast number of pins people have at home are set to free play..

Was pondering this last night, much like how the Beatles pin serves that nostalgia $$$ market this pin will serve another nostalgia market but at a different price point. Like I said yesterday, if it uses parts from the "big brother" pins this will lower Sterns costs (higher volume parts orders) and increase the profit margin on those higher priced pins.

win-win.

Benz did the same thing when they purchased Chrysler. They made Chrysler use Benz chips which reduced the cost to pennies while still charging Benz owners full boat.

As a bonus if sold in big box stores it gives non-pin people exposure to Sterns "brand" which seems to be a big theme on the Stern website.

#467 3 months ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Maybe we should challenge the status quo. Is a lockbar and latch system ideal for home. Sliding out a playfield glass is a really bad experience and requires a lot of space. Designs more that fireball did or glass that lifts out seems much better in a home environment. The coin door makes it easy to get access to the coin box and fix jams in the coin mechs.

1) Most home owners are not going to open the pin so moot point.

2) Going to the Bally style hinged glass and frame from the early 70's is just going to jack the price since it is going to be a part unique to "home pin." Off the shelf glass and lockbar for lowest price.

#473 3 months ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

That style of glass frame must be substantial to prevent the frame from twisting and stressing the glass (could shatter the glass if frame twists). I think it would be way costly for Stern to do it that way. Standard side rails, lockdown bar, and standard playfield glass would be more practical and economical.

Thats is pretty much what I just stated =)

#474 3 months ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Thunderbirds or Stern Star Wars Home Edition?

I played Thunderbirds at Pintastic and if I had to choose, SSWHE would be a no brainer.

#503 89 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So there will be a business reason to make this (propably more expensive due to low quantities) part, wich propably is the cost saving of the smaler screens, smaler speakers (and propably to drive the weight down as well since the usual games are a tiny bit to heavy that a supermarket would handle them) and to differenciate it from the bigger models as someone allready said.

I would bet good money that the screen is from another application that is turned out by the millions and costs pennies.

When netbooks (very small laptops) burst onto the scene years ago one factiod that leaked out what the screen was actually from a popular GPS unit.

1 month later
#607 43 days ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Its really unfortunate Stern cut so many corners and tagged this with an unrealistic price as it looks good and plays very well. Put this is a SW Pro cabinet and I’d be a potential buyer.

Watching the video, it reeks of cheap. I'd never drop $4000 on that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 25.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
$ 36.99
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 218.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside