CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 4 years ago

Corrects a number of issues that made the Spider-Man home (and The Pin before it) look so bad:

Actual plunger
Coin Door
Legs outside the cabinet
No speaker on your right gonad
Proper sized and proportioned head

The small LCD makes sense too as it's proportional to the original, just smaller. The overall look is pretty professional. It appears to be a full-size pinball machine, and that's been the main obstacle no home game has overcome yet. I love the look of the head reminds me of a System 9 game.

Depending on price they could sell some.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Looks like the lockdown bar is fabricated rather than a single stamping. Start button on the bar.

Looks like plastic to me but we'll know soon? If so that's really the only big sacrifice from an appearance standpoint.

Spider-Man, I just couldn't get past the cabinet, but upon release as Supreme it turned out to be a fun game.

This could be too, and it's much more acceptable from an appearance standpoint and head speakers, and i'm sure it's got Star Wars video and sound. I wouldn't write this one off, not everybody has $5500 to blow 5 times a year this game could make its way into collections if it's any good.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

I can understand making a home model that was actually affordable say in the less than 1000 dollar range, but if you can afford 4 grand for a "home" pinball machine, why couldnt you afford 5 for a real pinball machine or 3 grand for a real used pinball machine. I just paid 4400 dollars for a STTNG, which is way better than this. I actually feel sorry for someone who lays 4 grand down for that. Wait a few years you can pick one up on craigslist for probably less than a thousand.....

You have to be joking.

STTNG is as big as a Jaguar and requires even more maintenance. There's a huge potential market for people who want a reliable brand new game that doesn't dwarf their fridge, rather than a 25 year old problem child...not everybody wants to deal with craigslist and used games or the increasingly shady secondary pinball market. This all goes without saying, and we have this conversation every time a home pin comes out.

The problem has been the games and the value, not the concept. There's room on the market for a quality $4,000 game, now that the cheapest pro game is $5500. That's a big difference in price and a lot of money for a consumer to save who doesn't mind that it isn't STTNG.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is targeted at the guy that is trying to decide between air hockey, Golden Tee, pool table, or a foosball table. Maybe he gets this instead of a pool table. Not targeted to us.

In the past I'd agree with you, but this will end up in some Pinsiders' collections.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What hype?
Serious question, I have no idea what you're referring to. A press release? They're releasing a new product that they clearly worked hard on, at a big convention, and put out a standard press release.
What else?

People here constantly MAKE THEIR OWN HYPE and then bitch about being disappointed by it.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

You've got to remember that previous Stern home games had almost ZERO support. No manuals. No schematics. No code updates. Not even mentioned on the Stern website any more. Stern completely ignores "The Pin" owners.

Well maybe that's different this time around?

With an actual coin door and lockdown bar, and a normal-looking head, perhaps this game is much more serviceable than the previous home attempts.

Not sure why anybody wants code updates, I'm sure the point is a simpler game that is 100 percent from release. You know, what people here clamor for every time a Stern game is released.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

What a complete waste of time effort......
Honestly speechless

Not sure you know what "speechless" means!

That was hilarious. The ONE TIME I actually tune in for a premiere...

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from pantherpinball:

Might have been asked. But I want to know what happens if your ball drains while the other is stuck in the lock. It looks like it has no mechanical way to release the ball. So if the ball you are playing drains....................

Correct. You'll lose your ball.

This plays much like Supreme (which I've played a bunch) which I believe is the same as SM home.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from pantherpinball:

So then the ball is there for a multi-ball at the start of next game? In other words, there is no "reset" to this?
Lets say you are on your 3rd ball, and have the ball stuck there for the ball lock.... and you lose your ball.
This ball that is in the lock starts there on the next game? Really?

Yes, really. Just like many older games.

A good way to avoid this is to knock the ball out instead of losing your ball while it's still locked.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Even TSPP did this as a default setting. If there were 2 balls on the couch at the end of a game, player one only had to lock a single ball on the next game to get couch MB. I changed that setting to have the couch empty after every game when I owned it.

Rollergames too!

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

At $2,495 it looks pretty good. At $4,000+, not so much.

Do you really think they could sell this at $2500 and not lose money on every sale? This game is almost a pro. Put a bigger screen on it and coin mechs and it's a legit location game.

I guess I understand you think it's too expensive but at some point it's a moot line of thinking. I mean, $2000 would look even better. $1500 would look better still. $500?! HOLY SHIT!!!

But we are living in reality here.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Who says they can't make both? Is there evidence to suggest that this is affecting the production of other machines?

People don't understand that Stern is huge. They have multiple production lines. They have multiple production teams.

The fallacy that Stern producing this home Star Wars is keeping them from getting their GB code or their Jurrassic World is obnoxious.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

They are not creating a new market. They are placing the home edition where the Pro was and just jacking up the price of the rest. Profit 101. Let’s not make our pins better quality when we can just make some of even less quality which will in turn make the others look better?

chil (resized).jpgchil (resized).jpg
#327 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is hilarious. Stern's post in Instagram only received 2 likes.[quoted image]

Are there any instagram posts that arent tits or food that have more than 2 likes?

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

So we've had Transformers the Pin, Avengers the Pin, Spiderman Home, and with ZERO support from Stern. No manuals, no schematics, no SD card image backups, and no code updates. Heck, these machines aren't even on Stern's website (Did we make that? ). What makes people think this new Star Wars Home will be any different? In two months it probably won't even be on Stern's website any more.

Those didn't sell.

If this does you may see a different path taken.

This game also appears much more serviceable than previous "home" attempts by stern, with a lockdown bar and a coin door and the same general look/build as a "pro" game.

That's what I said when you typed the same thing yesterday. I still think it's true.

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Pretty sure someone asked about this during the stream. Other than the lack of coin mechs the rest of the hardware is standard commercial grade stuff down to the tilt bob. Spike 2 system, service menus, USB code updates etc....

Good news from a servicability standpoint. It also looks much more pro having a real coin door on it, along with speakers in the head.

Spiderman home looked absolutely terrible.

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah, sort of an evolution I guess. Transformers looked ridiculously bad, spider man at lease shot half decent and looked somewhat normal.
Interesting note from yesterday about the cabinet with the visible bolt heads. Can’t remember who said this during the 9 hours of stream but the games were prototypes and it was suggested that the cabinets were a whiteboard prototype.
Maybe the final product will be constructed like a normal cabinet.

All endless bitching and joking aside, a pinball company HAS had success with the home model before, sold via retail - Bally sold a ton of Fireball and Captain Fantastic home units. And those games are pretty good, and have a decent pro feel despite being 3/4 size or whatever.

That was a much different time however, pinball was huge, and this was the closest possible home option for most people. I don't think those Bally home games were cheap, either. ANybody know the price and the comparison to an actual NIB game back then?

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

And those Bally home models used a full sized commercial playfield in a smaller cabinet. It still felt like a solidly built cabinet and the play felt like a commercial machine. It also used commercial Bally assemblies on the playfield.
At the time they were introduced, I believe the Bally home models retailed for $895.

Quite expensive really!

But the home entertainment options were much more limited back then. But I think this is the closest comparison in pinball history to what Stern is trying today. What was a Bally NIB back when those games came out? $1200?

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This post cracks me up. And I think really speaks to all the angst in this thread. You're imaging a scenario where you get embarrassed that someone comes to your house and makes fun of your coin door, and then shames you for not spending more money.
What kind of dickhead friends do people have? "Wow you have a real pinball?" ... "Oh, there's no coin slots, nice job you broke ass, I'm going home with your girlfriend".

This coin door envy thing is too much. This is like all the people freaking out over MMr coin mechs, when we all know damn well they've never dropped a coin in their games in their entire lives, and never will. They're never routing their NIB games, someone might plunge too hard and ruin the shooter lane finish.
If you would be embarrassed to have someone over and see your blank face coin door then maybe this hobby is just a way for you to show off how you spend money. Or you have shitty friends, I dunno. But what a thing to get anxious over.

For me, the coin door and lockdown bar is more about serviceability. It's important and separates it from being "a toy" imitation of a pinball machine.

At any rate it's hilarious to think any of his non-pinball friends would give enough of a shit for that bizarre fantasy to play out.

Regardless, I'd be absolutely floored if your average non-pinball acquaintance could tell the difference between the Stern Pin star wars and a "real" pinball machine.

#432 4 years ago

People complaining about 2 inches.

Besides the obvious low-hanging fruit of the joke, I've owned probably 150 pinball machines that were 2 inches shorter than a 90s bally williams game. Can't say it ever bothered me.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

But they only made 2 models - can’t have been too successful for whatever reason.

They actually made 4 or 5 I believe, so I'd counter that they were successful.

Captain and FIreball are the ones I see the most often.

1 week later
#559 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That is different to any other pinball with a broken board, power supply, whatever in wich way?
You don't have to actively make up things to dislike the game.

If my flipper link breaks I have a 250 pound paperweight!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.