CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#211 4 years ago

Thanks for this, watching it now! Looks cool to me, not something I would buy but could be something I'd buy as a gift. Like my young niece and nephew visited me recently and loved my pinball machines, but they are too big and expensive for them to ever have and their parents have zero interested in buying a used pin. This could be something I could buy them as a christmas gift depending on price range and size. Does anyone know the dimensions of this machine? I think at $2999 this would be cool, at $3999 maybe a bit much, have to wait and see what retail price is I guess.

#375 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I thought about this a lot at work today.
My take on it is that it's targeting the "non pinball" community in an attempt to gain more market share or grow a new buyer base.
Yes $4000 is a lot of money for a lot of people, but for some not so much.
It's all about perspective and decimal points, hence why I said targeting stores in more affluent areas trying to reach a certain demographics.
I'm not sure who the targeted client is either, but its certainly not the seasoned pinball enthusiast (that market is saturated to capacity).
There is over 327 million people in the U.S. alone and most of them do not play pinball.
If they can pull this off it could expand their buyer base and bring new money and new buyers into the pinball market.
Let's face it, most of us here are on a budged, some bigger than others but a budget none the less and theres only so much pinball money in the current marketplace.
I have to pick and choose what machines I want to buy and who I want to spend my money with.
That might mean Stern gets my money, might be another manufacturer, might even be a used pin.
Fact is that Stern can not rely on a collector like me buying every pin they put out as a constant revenue stream.
Out of all of Sterns current licenses, this has to be the one with the most instant brand recognition.
I like to watch random people when I'm out playing pinball and see what games random non pinball people play.
I will tell that when the random person walk up to pins they will put money in Star Wars before they play something like Medieval Madness or something like Cirqus Voltaire where they are unfamiliar with the theme.
Its has to do with simple brand recognition and people connecting with things they are familiar with.
Anyhow yeah 4k is a lot of money, but hell some people will buy their spouse a new car for Christmas.
I have a client that bought his wife a 15K stove that he imported from Italy last year.
It's all about perspective.
Here in Arizona if you targeted the wealthy Scottsdale crowd I think you would sell a lot of these at a CostCo in Scottsdale.
In a poorer area probably not so much.

Does Costco sell anything in the $4k+ price range? Honest question as I don't go to Costco so I have no idea.

#378 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Yes, things like high end TVs.

Ok so I guess it could work there. At first I thought maybe this new machine was to get a new type of buyer, those hesitant to pickup a pin but at $4k I still can't imagine that would be low enough to make such an audience pull the trigger. Instead now I'm thinking maybe it's just about making one more purchasing tier and nothing more, so that they will now have Home/Pro/Premium/LE going forward with each step adding ~$1500 to the price.

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from c508:

[quoted image]

Well I meant in store of course, you'd figure part of the idea is random foot traffic seeing the games in store as a way to grab a new audience, not people who already actively search pinball online.

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If they were going to target a big box store to have one of these on display and take orders then a large national electronics retailer such as Best Buy would be the way to go.
Wide age demographic with customers who are into electronics, high end audio video and other tech items.

Yeah I agree. Maybe that is part of the reason for the cheaper price point, to get in to places like Best Buy, Frys, etc. Perhaps they have been turned down in the past by such places because of the price point was too high or maybe not enough of markup for the store itself to warrant floor space. Not sure, but maybe Stern are going after that now. I do notice Best Buy has basically become a store of mini stores, where most of the floor space is carved up by other companies to use and showcase their products so a Stern section to be would be right at home in there.

Quoted from KenLayton:

Stern did try selling machines in Best Buy several years ago.

Was this nationwide or a test case? I ask because I never saw them in stores here in LA. Having said that Best Buy as a store has changed quite dramatically over the past few years, so maybe it's time to revisit this idea.

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No one shown yet why they think this product will succeed at this price point verse the previous efforts.. even the most recent.

My best guess is the combination of two things:

1) From what I saw on Deadflips stream, this one looks and plays very well unlike past "home" efforts, so it should still satisfy that pinball feel without feeling cheap.

2) It's priced to where they have left a good amount of meat on the bone for traditional brick and mortar stores like Best Buy, etc, to consider selling it.

Without a good margin it makes no sense for such stores to take up floor space with this kinda stuff, but given the msrp maybe this time around there is enough margin there for them to consider it. Combine that with a true pinball experience and maybe this will work this time around. Just a guess though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4,999.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 4,999.99
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Redlands, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-?tu=Reality_Studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.