CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Home models or the market they’re trying to reach are called USED PINBALL MACHINES! DUH!

Exactly, Stern makes nothing from those used pinball sales so they are giving people a NIB machine for the same price to try and get into that market. That’s just smart business, we will see if the market validated the effort or not. I was hoping for a $3499 price with a $3000 potential for show used or special sale. We will see how it goes.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If they had dropped the LCD and just went with an old school alpha numeric, they might have been able to drop the price a significant amount.

It would cost more to put in that alphanumeric than that LCD display. I'd be surprised if that screen cost them much more than $10-15 dollars. And while it's not large, it gives them a lot more versatility and media options.

Honestly I think the mistake was not putting it in the apron instead, and just leave the backbox for art and speakers.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

There hasn't been a NIB MSRP of $4500 dollars for a "Pro" level machine in a decade.

It wasn't quite that long ago. I paid 4500 shipped for my Metallica Pro in 2014. It does suck that the same game today is 5600 (maybe a few hundred better if you have a good relationship with a distributor). I think this SW home pin is good looking and looks fun.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Some may actually think the gameplay is better than the stripped down pro. The multiplier scoring isn’t liked by many.

Game play has nothing to do with Star Wars... even the pro isn't the best pinball ever made not even close. There are many many Star Wars fans out there and when you walk into a game room store and see Star Wars, c'mon they don't care about game play they care about the theme. So look at this disaster pinball game here... the screen is as big as your cell phone. LOL

Who wants that when you're looking at a Star Wars game? Why didn't they just keep the same size screen because those are super cheap they probably pay less than 100 dollars for those. If I buy a Stern Star Wars, its because I love Star Wars, creating a dummied down game for 4k what a JOKE!

You can find Stern Pro's for 4200 to 4700 so why wouldn't you just buy that??? Seriously this is a terrible idea!

Waste of time and proves Stern cares about making money, not making cutting edge pinball games. Problem is this isn't going to make money this is going to be a disaster. If someone can afford to pay 4k for this nightmare why couldn't they afford to pay a couple hundred more and get a used pro?

I talked to some distributors they told me they're not buying ANY of these games as in ZERO! So I hope they have a new system to sell them maybe amazon or something who knows.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get the exact same experience from a full sized machine for less than $1000 new? I personally believe it is possible, it is just going to take many different attempts.

Maybe you missed where this effort is nearly 2000 more than sterns last home game effort? It’s not heading in that direction...

Or that this is like their 4th attempt?

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Or that this is mike their 4th attempt

This is probably the best theme they can take a stab at this market, but I don't think pinball is popular enough to find some market for a cheaper version. If someone wants a pinball game or even a rare car its not hard to find on the web. For 4k you could buy an x-box and every single game that is out right now plus a chair to sit in and play, plus xbox live for 10 years. Why would they buy a 4k pinball game they don't want or never considered? There just isn't a market for these games... as it is I think Pinball games cost too much now. Just a few short years ago new pinball games cost as much as this new home game.

Stern has totally lost their focus.

Here some advice for you Stern... if you want to try something new, take a pinball title you're currently making and make a four player sit down pinball that spits out tickets. Something that would go into fec or dave and busters, a four player sit down game. There is a market for that and this gets you out of your wheelhouse and into the faster growing side of the coin industry.

Otherwise just stick to making BETTER pinball games.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

It wasn't quite that long ago. I paid 4500 shipped for my Metallica Pro in 2014. It does suck that the same game today is 5600 (maybe a few hundred better if you have a good relationship with a distributor). I think this SW home pin is good looking and looks fun.

If you just look at MSRP, my statement stands, at least according to the historical pricing thread. I agree, it does suck that "to the door" prices have gone up so much, part of being in the hobby when it is growing rather than shrinking I guess. Try adding that price increase to a low currency and then you really feel pain.

Oh, 2011, with your lower pin prices and at par dollar, how I miss you.

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Game play has nothing to do with Star Wars... even the pro isn't the best pinball ever made not even close. There are many many Star Wars fans out there and when you walk into a game room store and see Star Wars, c'mon they don't care about game play they care about the theme. So look at this disaster pinball game here... the screen is as big as your cell phone. LOL
Who wants that when you're looking at a Star Wars game? Why didn't they just keep the same size screen because those are super cheap they probably pay less than 100 dollars for those. If I buy a Stern Star Wars, its because I love Star Wars, creating a dummied down game for 4k what a JOKE!
You can find Stern Pro's for 4200 to 4700 so why wouldn't you just buy that??? Seriously this is a terrible idea!
Waste of time and proves Stern cares about making money, not making cutting edge pinball games. Problem is this isn't going to make money this is going to be a disaster. If someone can afford to pay 4k for this nightmare why couldn't they afford to pay a couple hundred more and get a used pro?
I talked to some distributors they told me they're not buying ANY of these games as in ZERO! So I hope they have a new system to sell them maybe amazon or something who knows.

Your kind of missing my point. People keep saying buy a Star Wars pro for 4700...well, it sucks. This one is better for less.

Star Wars is a fine machine if you have the pre/LE the pro I didn’t like.

I’m a Star Wars nerd as many on here are and I’m just stating a simple fact. This plays better and Better video, audio and the code looks more fun than the crazy 40x multiplier stuff that most of my guests just don’t comprehend when I have parties.

just saying and I am the owner of a premium.

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Maybe you missed where this effort is nearly 2000 more than sterns last home game effort? It’s not heading in that direction...
Or that this is like their 4th attempt?

I think they are playing with the mechanics of it. This attempt looks more like a commercial pin than the prior ones I have seen...admittedly only in pictures. I'm not saying that their path is correct, I am just excited that people are playing with the parameters around the game. Hell, this game started with tiny wooden boxes and nails...I say any innovation here is good for the community that enjoys pinball.

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Technically yes it is a real pinball machine. But Stern keeps watering down pinball and it has an overall effect of lower expectations on all pins. It is not a good thing for the hobby overall IMO. Right now we are getting less at the same time prices are increasing. There will be a breaking point to this. So why should I wish good luck to those purposely diluting pinball. Improve your quality and features and then you get praise. Not for this SW home junk.

That's fair.

But then change the market, vote with your wallet and buy yourself a Dialed In, Houdini or Alice Cooper.

No need to wish them bad luck.

#311 4 years ago

Watch the stream instead of speculating...game looks perfectly fine to me.

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

LOL just one more disaster pinball game from Stern... how many more strikeouts can one company afford? If someone is unwilling pay 4500 for a used Stern Pro why would someone buy this disaster for 4K or whatever? Who came up with this bad idea over there?
Home models or the market they’re trying to reach are called USED PINBALL MACHINES! DUH!
Stern has lost their mojo!

Stern doesn't sell used pinballs, they sell NIB. This release isn't geared toward someone into pinball enough to hunt down a used machine.

It's geared toward a much much more casual market, who is at one of those pool table/outdoor furniture/game room places... those folks were never gonna seek out a used pin, which may have service issues, wear and tear, etc. They are too casual to plop down 7k for a NIB, but they may buy a more simple, slightly cheaper, less chance of breakdown NIB pin... thus, this release.

The market for used games isnt a factor here for Stern, or any of the buyers of this game.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

According to you Star Wars Home is not out and the first game we'll see is Elvira in October, so until then bye, thanks!

And yes Stern cares about money, that is quintessential for a company and EVERYONE AT STERN ALWAYS SAYS THIS.
Glad you finally noticed.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

Stern doesn't sell used pinballs, they sell NIB. This release isn't geared toward someone into pinball enough to hunt down a used machine.

Several comments here... i know they only sell new games. What I'm saying is a used PRO is just slightly more than this home version. What I'm saying is the 3 to 5k pinball market is the used market, and there is no need for slimmed down games into that market.

It's geared toward a much much more casual market, who is at one of those pool table/outdoor furniture/game room places

again i'm saying you can buy a used one from facebook, ebay, or craigs list for less than this home version.

... those folks were never gonna seek out a used pin, which may have service issues, wear and tear, etc.

I'm saying there isn't a market for this at all... the market for cheaper pins is used pins. Pinball isn't that popular okay its very niche, you don't create a new market by creating a game that is essentially the same price as a really nice used model.

They are too casual to plop down 7k for a NIB, but they may buy a more simple, slightly cheaper, less chance of breakdown NIB pin... thus, this release.

Good used pinball games sell for 2500 to 5000 no one is buying this thing. Its going to flop!

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

According to you Star Wars Home is not out and the first game we'll see is Elvira in October, so until then bye, thanks!

No that isn't what I said... I was saying in response to it leaking that the new game was Star Wars Home. I didn't say this game wasn't coming out... that is the problem here can't people read before they start quoting people. Seriously. I said my prediction is no new real game until Elvira in October, aside from this home edition. You're just another person who put words into someones mouth. Nice try.

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

No that isn't what I said... I was saying in response to it leaking that the new game was Star Wars Home. I didn't say this game wasn't coming out... that is the problem here can't people read before they start quoting people. Seriously. I said my prediction is no new real game until Elvira in October, aside from this home edition. You're just another person who put words into someones mouth. Nice try.

See you in October! I'll be here this Tuesday for another reveal.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

You put them in your own mouth.
But ok, granted, this is no "real" game, and you only talked about that.

My answer is still the same as last time:
New "real" game these next couple of days.
And Elvira still isn't a cornerstone game -no Pro, therefore not "real" by your own definition you made the last time.

I'm sure you'll change all of that what you said in hindsight as well.

#318 4 years ago

Its not terrible, its just....not my thing. I just wanted a normal announcement, that's all. So we'll wait and see what comes.

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

No way Munsters and BK a flop - Just your personal pref

Not pref, belief. And I agree with you. Just because those games flopped is no reason to call them flops.

#320 4 years ago

Walmart here they come!!!

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

It's geared toward a much much more casual market, who is at one of those pool table/outdoor furniture/game room places... those folks were never gonna seek out a used pin, which may have service issues, wear and tear, etc. They are too casual to plop down 7k for a NIB, but they may buy a more simple, slightly cheaper, less chance of breakdown NIB pin... thus, this release.
The market for used games isnt a factor here for Stern, or any of the buyers of this game.

I wish Vid was here to say it was geared towards single mothers.

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why would they buy a 4k pinball game they don't want or never considered? There just isn't a market for these games... as it is I think Pinball games cost too much now. Just a few short years ago new pinball games cost as much as this new home game.

People love coming over to my place and playing, when I start talking prices their eyes get all round. None of them are dropping 4k for a pin let alone 7.5k

Is there a market for this pin at $4000? Stern thinks so and they may only have to sell 500 or 1000 for all I know to be "successful"

There is also profit in churning out more games as cost for parts drops with volume. If a number of pieces interchange with the "commercial" pins then that is a win for Stern. They will sell those at the same price and the cost to make them dropped.

#323 4 years ago

This is hilarious. Stern's post in Instagram only received 2 likes.

Screenshot_20190718-201831.pngScreenshot_20190718-201831.png
#324 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That's fair.
But then change the market, vote with your wallet and buy yourself a Dialed In, Houdini or Alice Cooper.
No need to wish them bad luck.

So I never said I wish them bad luck. That sounds like I am being malicious in some way. I am not a fan of the Stern home edition idea as a consumer looking for high quality pinball. So yes I would like to see this strategy fail because of what I think it does overall. I would rather see Stern use it’s far superior manufacturing to build better and better pins. Let’s say all pins from all manufacturers were 7K. I think Stern could build the best because of their capabilities and talent. A man can dream....

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Your kind of missing my point. People keep saying buy a Star Wars pro for 4700...well, it sucks. This one is better for less.

207575B7-FD4F-43B9-975F-66CAE059101D (resized).jpeg207575B7-FD4F-43B9-975F-66CAE059101D (resized).jpeg
#326 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

People love coming over to my place and playing, when I start talking prices their eyes get all round. None of them are dropping 4k for a pin let alone 7.5k
Is there a market for this pin at $4000? Stern thinks so and they may only have to sell 500 or 1000 for all I know to be "successful"
There is also profit in churning out more games as cost for parts drops with volume. If a number of pieces interchange with the "commercial" pins then that is a win for Stern. They will sell those at the same price and the cost to make them dropped.

good points, like others, but hey I want to T off this a little bit, like to add some other points.

Elephant in the room, MSRP $4,499 WTF!
Re-sale ability, lets face it its a real thing and some buy based on it. I just don't see re-selling of these going well. new website? (HomeEditionPinside)
Parts might share some similar parts, but overall low volume. Hard to find specific parts in years to come
unsure here, Coin ops... can't make money on them, they are free play unless its a barcade freeplay type deal.

I just dont see how this makes sense, I agree 100% with everyone that comes over to play my pins rolls their eyes after their lower mouth hits the floor, they would never spend $5-$8K on these pins let allow $4,500 for striped down home edition. I mean folks barely buy the Arcade1up's those are $200-$300 or less, re-selling them is a joke, most give them away.

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is hilarious. Stern's post in Instagram only received 2 likes.[quoted image]

Are there any instagram posts that arent tits or food that have more than 2 likes?

#328 4 years ago

I watched a little DeadFlip stream and the game looks fun w/ well integrated theme..

#329 4 years ago

This IMHO is geared to a hardcore Star Wars collector that also has droids, Han Solo in carbonite, etc. But then what’s the point of the SW pro that is just a bit more to the same group of people dropping thousands on light sabers and other memorabilia.

I use to like Star Wars, and then Disney happened with their SJW agenda and killing off characters that meant something to me in nonchalant ways.

I wanted to like the SW pinball but only played the pro and it was meh to me. Hope to try out the premium at some point to see if I like it any better.

Gary Stern knows what he’s doing, he’s survived to this point and continues to sell merchandise. Look at all the free publicity he’s gotten from this crowd right now. Priceless

#330 4 years ago

It's not for me but I'll drop some coin in it if I run across one.

#331 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Star Wars is a fine machine if you have the pre/LE the pro I didn’t like.
I’m a Star Wars nerd as many on here are and I’m just stating a simple fact. This plays better and Better video, audio and the code looks more fun than the crazy 40x multiplier stuff that most of my guests just don’t comprehend when I have parties.
just saying and I am the owner of a premium.

Hate to break it to you, but that’s an opinion, not a fact. Truth is (lol?), SW pro/prem/Le is a fantastic game. If people weren’t so hung up on moving shot multipliers and impatience to learn the rules, they might actually see the genius ness in the code/rules.

That all said; The SW home pin looks really cool and fun, but you might want to watch the stream a little closer; It has very basic rules comparatively speaking - and that is a fact. (But, that’s not always bad thing).

#332 4 years ago

Are there any comparison pics showing the differences in features (other than layout) between the home edition and the pro?

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

It's not for me but I'll drop some coin in it if I run across one.

That would be a neat trick, with no coin slots on it.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

That would be a neat trick, with no coin slots on it.

Is this Stern's big announcement ? Or are we going to see another Pin reveal this weekend?

#335 4 years ago

Love the new clips and not having to deal with the shot multiplier button

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hate to break it to you, but that’s an opinion, not a fact. Truth is (lol?), SW pro/prem/Le is a fantastic game. If people weren’t so hung up on moving shot multipliers and impatience to learn the rules, they might actually see the genius ness in the code/rules.
That all said; The SW home pin looks really cool and fun, but you might want to watch the stream a little closer; It has very basic rules comparatively speaking - and that is a fact. (But, that’s not always bad thing).

Agree on all counts! I own a Pro, and I think most people just don’t know the rules - and how good they are - and therefore can’t get into the game.

It’s an intense, fast game that keeps you on your toes. I do wish it had a more interactive toy, but seriously, it doesn’t feel barren while you’re playing it...because you’re having too much fun to reflect on the lack of a bash toy, or whatever.

This home version has some movie footage that I don’t think I’ve seen in my game, which is interesting. It looks fun!

#337 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I watched hours of it today and Yes it was my opinion and what you wrote is your opinion as well.

Yes simpler rules and I agree, not always a bad thing and those guys seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit. It is nice to be able to get deep in the game, I’ve had my premium for I guess about 18 months and have only blown the Death Star up twice, just brutal...lol

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Agree on all counts! I own a Pro, and I think most people just don’t know the rules - and how good they are - and therefore can’t get into the game.
It’s an intense, fast game that keeps you on your toes. I do wish it had a more interactive toy, but seriously, it doesn’t feel barren while you’re playing it...because you’re having too much fun to reflect on the lack of a bash toy, or whatever.
This home version has some movie footage that I don’t think I’ve seen in my game, which is interesting. It looks fun!

That’s my biggest takeaway from today, tons of new footage from movies, animations and a heck of a lot more actual dialogue from the movies all integrated very well.

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Good used pinball games sell for 2500 to 5000 no one is buying this thing. Its going to flop!

You miss/ignore/don't recognize the nuance I made, again demonstrating your inability to contemplate or counter any views that vary even slightly from your poorly considered 20 paragraph diatribes

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

You miss/ignore/don't recognize the nuance I made, again demonstrating your inability to contemplate or counter any views that vary even slightly from your poorly considered 20 paragraph diatribes

Don’t waste your breath.

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is hilarious. Stern's post in Instagram only received 2 likes.[quoted image]

On videos, Instagram ONLY shows the likes that have been given by people YOU follow. It does not show or display total likes on video, ever

All this shows is that you have about a handful of Instagram friends and that Stern got thousands of video views.

#342 4 years ago

Stern is pretty smart because whatever they reveal next will look amazing compared to this.

#343 4 years ago

Next Big Stern announcement is there BK
Or sold to China , can’t wait too see what’s next

Back to TBL

#344 4 years ago

Where is it streaming? Is there a link online from a previous stream?

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Don’t waste your breath.

Yaaaaa, I know. Cant teach an old Drfrightener new tricks, as they say

#346 4 years ago

It streamed for 9 hours

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It streamed for 9 hours

I got that, is there a link to watch it?

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I watched hours of it today and Yes it was my opinion and what you wrote is your opinion as well.
Yes simpler rules and I agree, not always a bad thing and those guys seemed to be enjoying it quite a bit. It is nice to be able to get deep in the game, I’ve had my premium for I guess about 18 months and have only blown the Death Star up twice, just brutal...lol

Do you know the rules/shots in destroying the Death Star in the 2 planet multiballs? I destroy it all the time on my pro (yes it’s easier); but, I’ve also destroyed it on a location LE twice in about a dozen games. It’s tough for sure, but if you know the shots/rules/sequences...it’s not impossible. But, having rare occurrences in pinball is a good thing because it makes the reward even greater. And Yes, SW is a brutal game. That’s why i love it because it’s all that more rewarding to have a good game.

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Anyone who thinks this is the big announcement at Comic-con is pretty short sighted. Tomorrow 9:30AM Pacific Time.

??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 4,999.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 4,999.99
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/7?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.