CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
#251 4 years ago

These are not the droids I am looking for.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from pantherpinball:

I don't mind lock stealing. (Love how Pink Panther does it.)
I guess what I mind is that the game has no way to start fresh. You could walk up to it with a 3 ball multi-ball waiting on ball 1, shot 1.

Even TSPP did this as a default setting. If there were 2 balls on the couch at the end of a game, player one only had to lock a single ball on the next game to get couch MB. I changed that setting to have the couch empty after every game when I owned it.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

did they shorten the flippers? in the stream, it appears that everyone is having issues with attempting to trap balls and they are "walking" right up and off the ends

That’s because this isn’t a real pinball machine. It’s a cheap toy. I hope it flops.....

#254 4 years ago

I guess what I mind is that the game has no way to start fresh. You could walk up to it with a 3 ball multi-ball waiting on ball 1, shot 1.

You must really dislike Willy Wonka then as the LE has a very similar special to the LE feature. Lots of older games had similar lock stealing or locks waiting for the next person. It's actually really fun with multiplayer or was a great way to get the player to drop another quarter or for the next person that walks by to quickly drop a quarter in.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

That’s because this isn’t a real pinball machine. It’s a cheap toy. I hope it flops.....

When I see 'real pinball' I think real vs virtual pinball. I would say the home pin is real pinball, just not regular or standard pinball.

But yes, it's very real -- in more ways than one -- unfortunately

Oh well.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Even TSPP did this as a default setting. If there were 2 balls on the couch at the end of a game, player one only had to lock a single ball on the next game to get couch MB. I changed that setting to have the couch empty after every game when I owned it.

Rollergames too!

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

When I see 'real pinball' I thing real vs virtual pinball. I would say the home pin is real pinball, just not regular or standard pinball.
But yes, it's very real -- unfortunately
Oh well.

What is not standard or regular about it?

Quoted from Extraballz:

Looks pretty real to me. Maybe I'm not real though and this is all a dream.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

What is not standard or regular about it?

In that it is not what is normally seen in size and features. But it is very close I'll give you that.

#259 4 years ago

In one step Stern makes their standard line look higher quality because the home edition is a joke and they open the door to raise prices on their standard models due to the fact that the home edition will now be the entry level machine.

#260 4 years ago

Sorry I don’t side with the red faced enraged vein popping haters that have been posting, but this game actually looks bad ass! Haha.

#261 4 years ago

Looks better than the regular pro to me and kind of like the coding better.

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sorry I don’t side with the red faced enraged vein popping haters that have been posting, but this game actually looks bad ass! Haha.

At $2,495 it looks pretty good. At $4,000+, not so much.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks better than the regular pro to me and kind of like the coding better.

You saw all the code the game has on Jacks first game. Super simple.

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

At $2,495 it looks pretty good. At $4,000+, not so much.

Do you really think they could sell this at $2500 and not lose money on every sale? This game is almost a pro. Put a bigger screen on it and coin mechs and it's a legit location game.

I guess I understand you think it's too expensive but at some point it's a moot line of thinking. I mean, $2000 would look even better. $1500 would look better still. $500?! HOLY SHIT!!!

But we are living in reality here.

#265 4 years ago

Stern the company that supposedly saved pinball is also the company that has tried to lower the quality standards and features in games. All for maximum profit. Good for them and bad for us.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Stern the company that supposedly saved pinball is also the company that has tried to lower the quality standards and features in games. All for maximum profit. Good for them and bad for us.

How dare they try to stay in business.

Btw, how’s all those other pinball company’s doing?

#267 4 years ago

I hate the fact that the play looks better than the Star Wars Pro. I want to hate this, but I really don't care. It wasn't built for me.

#268 4 years ago

Munsters.......flop
BK........flop
SW home......flop
Stern is really on a roll here.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do you really think they could sell this at $2500 and not lose money on every sale? This game is almost a pro. Put a bigger screen on it and coin mechs and it's a legit location game.
I guess I understand you think it's too expensive but at some point it's a moot line of thinking. I mean, $2000 would look even better. $1500 would look better still. $500?! HOLY SHIT!!!

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but I’d love to know cost on this machine.

I do have a pretty good feel for the home buyer/family that Stern is attempting to attract and at 4K they are losing that buyer. These folks are not diehard pinball fanatics and will most likely opt for a $2,500 pool table or a $2,895 Super Chexx Pro. I’d love to be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

I’m now ready to purchase Jurassic World LE so let’s make the announcement.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Munsters.......flop
BK........flop
SW home......flop
Stern is really on a roll here.

No way Munsters and BK a flop - Just your personal pref

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I hope it flops.....

This makes zero sense to me. Unless you are a direct competitor of Stern (not even sure then) why would you want it to flop? Just because you don't like it and don't want one means that you hope it fails? Just strange thinking.

#272 4 years ago

MSRP seems to just be that. Advertised price from a distributor is under $4k. Possible you could get it for cheaper.

https://www.gameroomguys.com/Stern-Star-Wars-The-Pin-Pinball-Machine

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

This makes zero sense to me. Unless you are a direct competitor of Stern (not even sure then) why would you want it to flop? Just because you don't like it and don't want one means that you hope it fails? Just strange thinking.

Well he might hope it fails so that they don't keep making more of these crap home pins and concentrate on the real deals.

#274 4 years ago
F811CF52-BEC4-41E1-8D3E-A59B252BB49F (resized).pngF811CF52-BEC4-41E1-8D3E-A59B252BB49F (resized).png
#275 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Well he might hope it fails so that they don't keep making more of these crap home pins and concentrate on the real deals.

Who says they can't make both? Is there evidence to suggest that this is affecting the production of other machines?

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Who says they can't make both? Is there evidence to suggest that this is affecting the production of other machines?

People don't understand that Stern is huge. They have multiple production lines. They have multiple production teams.

The fallacy that Stern producing this home Star Wars is keeping them from getting their GB code or their Jurrassic World is obnoxious.

#277 4 years ago

no coin slots and set for free play only,will the code be done on it or will it be a couple of years later..factory warranty on parts ,goodie bag staples inside..art blades,mods,cointaker leds,invisglass,topper optional gold plate stamped and # and signed by GS

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Because Stern is the one constantly lowering the quality and features in pins. It lowers expectations for all pins. It’s just a big business move with very little concern about the customers. Going backwards in quality and feature offered is never a good thing. I want pins to get better and better......not worse. What’s strange about that.

#279 4 years ago

Well said...

Quoted from Extraballz:

Because Stern is the one constantly lowering the quality and features in pins. It lowers expectations for all pins. It’s just a big business move with very little concern about the customers. Going backwards in quality and feature offered is never a good thing. I want pins to get better and better......not worse. What’s strange about that.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I made this point in another thread (they really should be merged BTW), but the MSRP is never going to simply scale up/down linearly with complexity and BOM alone. There are many costs such as engineering/R&D/externalities which won't appreciably decrease just because a few mechs and lights are omitted and the screen is shrunken. The only way to possibly make a viable $2k game is to outsource to Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand/Indonesia/etc.

I love that there are so many dreamers on Pinside (the world needs more of them), but reality bites and you gotta' pay to play!

#281 4 years ago

It is interesting that someone listened on the Obiwan / Vader facing away complaint from the original.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

In that it is not what is normally seen in size and features. But it is very close I'll give you that.

Rules seem deeper than Munsters. LOL. I keed I keed.

#283 4 years ago

If you ever wanted to get into pinball with a low priced star wars game then get a data east.

Corny ass game. Theyve got deadflip embarrassing himself playing this turd of a game on twitch.

#284 4 years ago

The people that would buy this might actually like that. I assume they aren’t avid pinball players and it might take many games to lock 3 balls.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Sterns new ball lock assembly. Two posts and a side rail to hold the initial ball against / which will rest on a switch and can be hit out like a captive ball. A 2nd ball can be hit up to the top of that one and to the left activating a second lock switch. (New cost cutting measure)
[quoted image]

Am I alone in thinking this is pretty brilliant?

I hate to rain on all the negative feedback, but I like watching a company try to target a lower price point. I personally believe the future of pinball is amazing full sized game feel on more portable and cost effective hardware. It is going to take a long time for someone to dial that in, but I'm happy that at least Stern is trying.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get the exact same experience from a full sized machine for less than $1000 new? I personally believe it is possible, it is just going to take many different attempts.

To me, the fun of the game is the physics, artwork and code. If you could reproduce that using cardboard and crayons without compromise, I'm in! I say keep going Stern.

#286 4 years ago

I've read dozens if not hundreds of posts in all the threads saying "but this is basically near the cost of a used SW pro" or "you can get a used __ (fill in the blank) for much less". But Stern isn't in the business of trying to get people to buy used games to enter the hobby. And this pin isn't being built for pinside hobbyists for the most part. My guess is that there is a substantial demand (maybe 500... maybe 1000... maybe more... at least Stern hopes so) for entry level NIB games from people who aren't in the hobby currently and definitely aren't anywhere close to pinside. This product line fills the need where a person can pull out their wallet and have it delivered right away to their door. There just aren't enough of the so called used games at low price points to fill this demand (or at least the demand that Stern hopes is there).

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How dare they try to stay in business.
Btw, how’s all those other pinball company’s doing?

They are doing great

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Am I alone in thinking this is pretty brilliant?
I hate to rain on all the negative feedback, but I like watching a company try to target a lower price point. I personally believe the future of pinball is amazing full sized game feel on more portable and cost effective hardware. It is going to take a long time for someone to dial that in, but I'm happy that at least Stern is trying.
Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get the exact same experience from a full sized machine for less than $1000 new? I personally believe it is possible, it is just going to take many different attempts.
To me, the fun of the game is the physics, artwork and code. If you could reproduce that using cardboard and crayons without compromise, I'm in! I say keep going Stern.

I think it’s good that they are trying new markets as well. If the price point could ever get something like this down to $1000 I think a lot of people here would have a different opinion

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

If the price point could ever get something like this down to $1000 I think a lot of people here would have a different opinion

$1000? Are you serious? Maybe if you wanted them to take production to China or some 3rd world country you might get that. For me, I love that Stern has attempted to up the game for "Home Edition" pins, and is trying to keep their production here in the U.S.! Way to go Stern.

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I think it’s good that they are trying new markets as well. If the price point could ever get something like this down to $1000 I think a lot of people here would have a different opinion

You say “something like this”. It’s a full size PF. Only knock I have is the slings and pops firing together. $1000 is a unrealistic price point. $2500-$3500 should be the target range in my opinion.

I actually think this looks better than the pro for sure and kind of dig the code. Most folks I have over to play seem to have a difficult time grasping the multiplier scoring on my premium. This has a straight forward ruleset.

I think they have better video and voice assets integrated into this as well which is crazy.

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

They are not creating a new market. They are placing the home edition where the Pro was and just jacking up the price of the rest. Profit 101. Let’s not make our pins better quality when we can just make some of even less quality which will in turn make the others look better?

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

They are not creating a new market. They are placing the home edition where the Pro was and just jacking up the price of the rest. Profit 101. Let’s not make our pins better quality when we can just make some of even less quality which will in turn make the others look better?

chil (resized).jpgchil (resized).jpg
#293 4 years ago

LOL just one more disaster pinball game from Stern... how many more strikeouts can one company afford? If someone is unwilling pay 4500 for a used Stern Pro why would someone buy this disaster for 4K or whatever? Who came up with this bad idea over there?

Home models or the market they’re trying to reach are called USED PINBALL MACHINES! DUH!

Stern has lost their mojo!

#294 4 years ago

I don't mind THE PIN, but $3999 still seems like a steep hill to climb. I'm not really sure who this is aimed at. It's definitely only aimed at the American market, but I'm not sure of what demographic within the USA.

$3999USD is $5200CAD
$3999USD is $3200GBP
$3999USD is $5700AUD

$5K CAD still gets you a really decent pin in Canada. I think other countries are going to be priced out on conversion.

I would have thought that $2999 would be the sweet spot.

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I don't mind THE PIN, but $3999 still seems like a steep hill to climb. I'm not really sure who this is aimed at. It's definitely only aimed at the American market, but I'm not sure of what demographic within the USA.
$3999USD is $5200CAD
$3999USD is $3200GBP
$3999USD is $5700AUD
$5K CAD still gets you a really decent pin in Canada. I think other countries are going to be priced out on conversion.
I would have thought that $2999 would be the sweet spot.

Plus tax and freight! — in Todd’s voice

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

LOL just one more disaster pinball game from Stern... how many more strikeouts can one company afford? If someone is unwilling pay 4500 for a used Stern Pro why would someone buy this disaster for 4K or whatever? Who came up with this bad idea over there?
Home models or the market they’re trying to reach are called USED PINBALL MACHINES! DUH!
Stern has lost their mojo!

Some may actually think the gameplay is better than the stripped down pro. The multiplier scoring isn’t liked by many.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

It is a real pinball machine.

4500$ is not cheap.

Pinball itself is a "toy" if it's not what you make your income of.

Wishing other people bad luck gets you nothing and that bad luck hurts the company and therefore the other games they make.

#298 4 years ago

If they had dropped the LCD and just went with an old school alpha numeric, they might have been able to drop the price a significant amount. It would have been an awesome retro system 11 style. It's just in a weird place with the price and features. Then again maybe no LCD or Dots would just piss people off even more. I think it would be more appealing going full retro with out a screen, but that's just me.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It is a real pinball machine.
4500$ is not cheap.
Pinball itself is a "toy" if it's not what you make your income of.
Wishing other people bad luck gets you nothing and that bad luck hurts the company and therefore the other games they make.

Technically yes it is a real pinball machine. But Stern keeps watering down pinball and it has an overall effect of lower expectations on all pins. It is not a good thing for the hobby overall IMO. Right now we are getting less at the same time prices are increasing. There will be a breaking point to this. So why should I wish good luck to those purposely diluting pinball. Improve your quality and features and then you get praise. Not for this SW home junk.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I'm not a buyer for the home edition, but to say it doesn't create a new market is just plain wrong. Why? Cuz there isn't anything else out there for a fully featured pin that sells for the same or less. There hasn't been a NIB MSRP of $4500 dollars for a "Pro" level machine in a decade. It isn't like last month Stern jumped the price of the Pro and then tossed the home edition into the mix. People longing for the "I bought a TSPP NIB in 2003 for $3300!!!!!!" need to look at their calendars, realize that was over 15 years ago and move on.

As for quality, I am kind of tired of this dead horse. Things have been stripped out for sure, trying to maximize profit. Stern almost went belly up in 2008. That means, they were the opposite of profitable. Obviously stuff had to change. Regardless they can still produce a pin that is fun to play, costs less than all of their competition and can hold up to tens of thousands of plays on route and then be sold for 2/3 of the original purchase price.

Would I like their pins to all cost $2000 less? Yep, but I realize there are business realities going on that make that difficult.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 4,999.99
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 4,999.99
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/6?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.