CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
#101 4 years ago

I wonder if the code is going to be as deep as the pro/prem ...if not then it will probably be rated higher on pinside top 100.

#102 4 years ago

With a nights sleep (saw the first pic 4AM here and went to bed) I must say the only thing that really stand out bugging me has nothing to do with the game in itself but the playfield artwork. - Man this looks blend. Speedlines all the way!

In addition... is that playfield not clearcoated?
That colors have no depth. Look at Han Solos Vest. It's grey, not black. No saturation.
Propably just the reflection on the glass... I hope.

#103 4 years ago

Wow the moronic force is strong with this thread, who gives a shit if Stern makes a home edition of any of their pins? R any of u honestly that confused that u think this is the next Stern release? What is happening on this site, I guess as the hobby grows so does the ratio of dickheads invovled, I mean the normal dickheads are here to pounce but always a few newbies to make sure Darth Dickhead never dies. Thats a shame. Oh and Stern SW's is an amazing game, I have the pro and it hasn't disappointed yet, then again I'm not one of these guys.

1c9a15 (resized).jpg1c9a15 (resized).jpg
#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

R any of u honestly that confused that u think this is the next Stern release?

Confusion I sense in you.

It IS NOT Sterns next (Cornerstone) game for US and it doesn't take away anything from us... other than kill our hype.

But nontheless this IS Sterns next release for the moment.

#105 4 years ago

It must be drop target free. I had TF The Pin in 2012 and the drop targets would not reset 5 days after I got it. Stern just said “Return it to Amazon.”

We all know there’s no reliable mech in Pinball.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:I wonder if the code is going to be as deep as the pro/prem ...if not then it will probably be rated higher on pinside top 100.

it looks like an altered spiderman HE/Supreme layout. so probably the same rule set that game gets.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This community sure knows how to throw a temper tantrum.
I'm curious to see how it all works personally. Do you really need a new announcement every month or two to keep you interested? Maybe stop and think about the vicious buying cycle and relax for a moment. Stern will have a new toy for you shortly I'm sure. Jurassic Whatever or some other lunch box.
Meanwhile, here's something slightly different, and instead of anyone being at all curious about how it might work (looks different from the Spider-Man home pin in some ways already) it's just crying and teeth gnashing. Have a little curiosity, and a little patience.

Agreed. Home pins aren't the market segment for the more hardcore enthusiast on pinside. If it achieves the goal of getting more people interested in pinball, then it isn't a bad thing

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Agreed. Home pins aren't the market segment for the more hardcore enthusiast on pinside. If it achieves the goal of getting more people interested in pinball, then it isn't a bad thing

If you want people to get interested in boating, you dont take em out on the sea in a rowing boat that sinks after fifteen minutes.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Confusion I sense in you.

It IS NOT Sterns next (Cornerstone) game for US and it doesn't take away anything from us... other than kill our hype.

But nontheless this IS Sterns next release for the moment.

I'm not confused at all. for the moment is right but we are what a few weeks away tops from a new title so killing Hype? nah

#110 4 years ago

No topper?

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

If you want people to get interested in boating, you dont take em out on the sea in a rowing boat that sinks after fifteen minutes.

lol what an analogy! Did you buy the drain plug accessory though?

#112 4 years ago

This will get them into pinball

20190713_170856 (resized).jpg20190713_170856 (resized).jpg
#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This community sure knows how to throw a temper tantrum.
I'm curious to see how it all works personally. Do you really need a new announcement every month or two to keep you interested? Maybe stop and think about the vicious buying cycle and relax for a moment. Stern will have a new toy for you shortly I'm sure. Jurassic Whatever or some other lunch box.
Meanwhile, here's something slightly different, and instead of anyone being at all curious about how it might work (looks different from the Spider-Man home pin in some ways already) it's just crying and teeth gnashing. Have a little curiosity, and a little patience.

Sorry but for Stern to hype this home version like it's their next big new game is complete bullshit. That's the problem. Simple as that.

Hopefully Stern has another trick up their sleeve today and rights the wrong.

#114 4 years ago

No way they’re using the multiplier math in this game. This will be so dumbed down it will make Munsters look like LOTR.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have the pro and it hasn't disappointed yet, then again I'm not one of these guys.[quoted image]

Get outta here Hazoff that’s you!

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

But you also sell lower cost Cuddy Cabins and Bowriders so they can work their way up to the Motor Yachts.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

it looks like an altered spiderman HE/Supreme layout. so probably the same rule set that game gets.

But spiderman and supreme have completely different rules.

#118 4 years ago

You think they would have at a minimum went with a totally different art package, looks too similar to the pro/premium.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You think they would have at a minimum went with a totally different art package, looks too similar to the pro/premium.

But that would take more time, cost more, require license holder approval. It’s cheaper, easier, and quicker to reuse approved art.

#120 4 years ago

Home model game options instead of Pro, Premium, LE:
Amature - What you see here
Supreme - Same game in red and white only
Unlimited Edition - has the R2D2 topper, will make as many as will sell

#121 4 years ago

still better than the Hobbit lol

#122 4 years ago

Like a couple of others have said one thing I do like about this home pin is that apron! Loads better than the black with yellow scorecards of the Pro/Prem/Le models we all buy.

And honestly as a whole package it doesn’t look bad at all, people here just need to remember this is not for 90% of pinside, this is for the non pinheads we have round our places and casuals who like the occasional game in bars etc but are never going to eat sleep and live pinball like most do here.

Sterns only problem with this is going to be the price!

#123 4 years ago

OK let's see the list of cost cutting measures to get this under 4k.

#124 4 years ago

I still fail to understand the target market for these. Where previous "home" games successful? Does anyone know anyone that has a Spiderman or Transformers? I have never seen one in person.

This reminds me of that shitty little Mercedes that came out in the early 2000's, what was that thing? The little C230? It gave everyone who really had no business buying an Mercedes a chance to buy a shitty impractical one for an entry level price and get to say "I have a Mercedes".

Same thing with this.

The market for pinball is operators and people with lots of disposable income. Operators wont touch the "home" games and 99.9% of people interested in pinball and have the disposable income can just spend the extra $2k and get the big boy version of a pinball machine. This thing is still awfully expensive for an impusle buy for people not already inflicted with the pinball sickness.

All I can say is I hope they get this silly "reveal" out of the way and quickly roll out the next ACTUAL game.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

But you also sell lower cost Cuddy Cabins and Bowriders so they can work their way up to the Motor Yachts.

Ok. A valid point if the youngsters, you were to engage allready liked pinball. Most are just not interested. First you gotta wake their interest.
I dont think a subpar product will do that, and young people arent going to buy an anemic marginal fun pin at 4k.

If pinball manufacturers really want to get young people into pinball and make them popular again, they would let keith elwin produce a stern pin with jjp toys and theme integration.
With up to date themes, as avicii, rihanna and imagine dragons. Maybe a pin with overwatch, world of warcraft or pixar/disneys coco.

Then you put them up on youth centers and cafeterias near schools with reduced price to play and the abilities to win free lunch next day or such, ofc adopting jjp high score photos etc.

That would make for a serious attemtp to vitalize and give a youth injection to pinball, instead of this fugly overpriced abomination.

#126 4 years ago

Everybody knows Star Wars.
So this is the ultimate challenge for Stern.
If this won't work the cheap home versions are dead.
I think it can do the job.
Looks great for a cheaper version.

#127 4 years ago

This product’s success comes down to selling price. If the game is priced at $10k like Beatles gold, it will sell badly and the amount of complaining will become unbearable. If it costs $2k, I would gamble and buy one and am guessing many other pinball collectors would too. There would be lots of comparisons made to the pro, but the atmosphere on Pinside will be chillaxed and more accepting.

In reality this pseudo-pin will only be available through Costco, not current distributors and it will cost exactly ... $4,500. That is too much for a machine that isn’t quite a pro and it will fail imo. The obvious goal is to price it at the sweet spot. With Deeproot’s fully featured games rumored to be $5k and seeing this is less pin, i believe the price needs to be under $3k to reach masses and tap into the unserved community.

While the game will cost Stern less than $2k to make, they need/expect to earn $2k per game in order to bother making them. Simple accounting shows us $2k Stern cost plus $2k Stern profit plus $500 Costco/distributor profit equals a pricetag I don’t wanna see. We’ll know for sure in four hours.

#128 4 years ago

No idea of the PF, but I like the look of this overall presentation way more than "the pin" or Spidey Home version. If they were to redo Spidey Home in this cab, I think it would sell better.

#129 4 years ago

Who would bet that Stern already has a distribution agreement in place with Costco? Do you think a $3999 price tag would be too prohibitive to actually move these things in a Costco?

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Who would bet that Stern already has a distribution agreement in place with Costco? Do you think a $3999 price tag would be too prohibitive to actually move these things in a Costco?

$4k is a shit ton for retail/impluse buy.

What else in costco compares at that price level? The biggest tv they carry perhaps?

#131 4 years ago

Stern must have sunk a fair bit of cash in developing this game.

Wonder how many they hope/need to sell?

I guess they are hoping to do a Jurassic World home version as well.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

$4k is a shit ton for retail/impluse buy.
What else in costco compares at that price level? The biggest tv they carry perhaps?

I've seen full size Mame cabinets, pool tables, air hockey. This is definitely more expensive but I could see it happening. They only need to sell a handful at each Costco location to outsell anything Stern has done in the past 10 years.

#133 4 years ago

The apron will look good on my pro. I'll just take that please.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I've seen full size Mame cabinets, pool tables, air hockey. This is definitely more expensive but I could see it happening. They only need to sell a handful at each Costco location to outsell anything Stern has done in the past 10 years.

Good point. Costco has 770 locations. Lets say they bring a pallet of 4 to each location, that's 3,000 machines at $4,000 each and $12,000,000 of revenue for an existing license, low/no art costs, low/limited programming, and a lightly modded existing layout.

I am really not a fan of the machine but there are some smart people working upstairs at Stern and I can see this making them some serious money.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Just saw official pics[quoted image]

I had a feeling this reveal would leave me wanting.
Home versions do not interest me.
-Good luck with sales.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Good point. Costco has 770 locations. Lets say they bring a pallet of 4 to each location, that's 3,000 machines at $4,000 each and $12,000,000 of revenue for an existing license, low/no art costs, low/limited programming, and a lightly modded existing layout.
I am really not a fan of the machine but there are some smart people working upstairs at Stern and I can see this making them some serious money.

And consider that it would probably not be the only distributor for this machine. They could easily use their traditional resellers and sell another 2-3K machines. This could be the biggest money maker for Stern, that doesn't at all resonate with the hardcore base.

#137 4 years ago

This is targeted at the guy that is trying to decide between air hockey, Golden Tee, pool table, or a foosball table. Maybe he gets this instead of a pool table. Not targeted to us.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

But spiderman and supreme have completely different rules.

I meant rules that fit the layout, yes i'm sure they're different but its not going to be like the PRO/PREM/LE style rules

#139 4 years ago

Would they be reliable/rock solid "enough" for a home use, zero maintenance environment though?

The instant it stops working costco will get a returned machine. Remember costco's return policy is VERY generous.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It doesn't appear as tall either. Look how high the legs mount on the cabinet. Sized for children perhaps?
Rob

Spider-Man HE is standard PF height. My buddy had one sitting right by his Spider-Man VE for awhile. You don’t need to hunch.

It probably looks short because the backbox is smaller with that tiny screen panel. I believe the translite is standard size.

#141 4 years ago

Never happen. Costco would never just all in and put a new product like this in all of their locations. They may do a test market like last time of 25 stores or less (if I recall).

#142 4 years ago

I assume that $4k MSRP has more reseller margin packed into it than a Pro/Prem as they'll try to expand this into more traditional retail channels. These will clearance for closer to $2k I would think.

Those with distro buddies, were the distros asking for a product like this to slot in below Pro?

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is targeted at the guy that is trying to decide between air hockey, Golden Tee, pool table, or a foosball table. Maybe he gets this instead of a pool table. Not targeted to us.

In the past I'd agree with you, but this will end up in some Pinsiders' collections.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In the past I'd agree with you, but this will end up in some Pinsiders' collections.

Yes, this one is more likely to be owned by a few Pinsiders I agree. We are still not the target. Curious to see how it plays.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes, this one is more likely to be owned by a few Pinsiders I agree. We are still not the target. Curious to see how it plays.

Well, that is the thing isn't it? We haven't even seen the machine in action, that is what I am really interested in.

#146 4 years ago

Void? It’s me again

#147 4 years ago

There seem to be quite a few differences from the shitty photos that are out.

3 bank of drops at left ramp entry with airball shield, something maybe at top of right ramp hence the airball shield there, looks like either a spinner and drop up the middle or perhaps two spinners?

What the heck is that angles thing on ramp by Death Star entrance?

What other differences have been noticed? How different is the art to accommodate the slightly different layout?

Is the translite identical to the pro?

Is it different enough that it could coexist in a lineup with a pro/premium/Le? If yes, I could see these joining collections especially if prices at 3.5k or lower.

#148 4 years ago

Not exactly on topic, but I'd like to see them re-release Spiderman Home edition in this package. They also need to fix the insert colors on that one. I was watching the dead flip vid on Spidey home and there are callouts like "shoot the blue shots for Venom" and Venom is white in the home version. Also Doc Ock being the same green as Goblin bothers me for some reason. Need to make his inserts red and Venom's blue and all would be right with the world. I'd be down for a Spidey home version with that in mind.

#149 4 years ago

Yellow Woz didn't bother me and this doesn't either. I think they're for the same type of buyer, though obviously different budgets. Fans of the license that are looking to outfit their game room and run into one of these while they're shopping for a pool table, dart board, and shuffle board. If even a couple of those people (or their kids) get hooked on pinball then that's a net positive for the hobby in my opinion.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sorry but for Stern to hype this home version like it's their next big new game is complete bullshit. That's the problem. Simple as that.

What hype?

Serious question, I have no idea what you're referring to. A press release? They're releasing a new product that they clearly worked hard on, at a big convention, and put out a standard press release.

What else?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4,999.99
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Redlands, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 4,999.99
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/3?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.