CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg

There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Corrects a number of issues that made the Spider-Man home (and The Pin before it) look so bad:
Actual plunger
Coin Door
Legs outside the cabinet
No speaker on your right gonad
The small LCD makes sense too as it's proportional to the original, just smaller. The overall look is pretty professional. It appears to be a full-size pinball machine, and that's been the main obstacle no home game has overcome yet. I love the look of the head reminds me of a System 9 game.
Depending on price they could sell some.

If this is really a full sized machine then at least it's a step in the right direction. I still wouldn't consider buying it.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Lol.. o my
[quoted image]

Holy crap. This makes the pro and premium models look halfway decent...

#53 4 years ago
A642FDD6-0F0F-48B3-BB42-27F90E53EF66 (resized).jpegA642FDD6-0F0F-48B3-BB42-27F90E53EF66 (resized).jpeg
#54 4 years ago

Looks like the lockdown bar is fabricated rather than a single stamping. Start button on the bar.

#55 4 years ago

I wonder if they will finally release the topper with this.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Lol.. o my
[quoted image]

WOW, what a flat looking game from an elevation standpoint.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Looks like the lockdown bar is fabricated rather than a single stamping. Start button on the bar.

Looks like plastic to me but we'll know soon? If so that's really the only big sacrifice from an appearance standpoint.

Spider-Man, I just couldn't get past the cabinet, but upon release as Supreme it turned out to be a fun game.

This could be too, and it's much more acceptable from an appearance standpoint and head speakers, and i'm sure it's got Star Wars video and sound. I wouldn't write this one off, not everybody has $5500 to blow 5 times a year this game could make its way into collections if it's any good.

#58 4 years ago

I can understand making a home model that was actually affordable say in the less than 1000 dollar range, but if you can afford 4 grand for a "home" pinball machine, why couldnt you afford 5 for a real pinball machine or 3 grand for a real used pinball machine. I just paid 4400 dollars for a STTNG, which is way better than this. I actually feel sorry for someone who lays 4 grand down for that. Wait a few years you can pick one up on craigslist for probably less than a thousand.....

#59 4 years ago

Beyond disappointing for such a targeted audience. Why on Earth would you release such a lackluster example of what you do best for an audience with deep pockets?

#60 4 years ago

This think looks packed for a home version.

The people complain is crazy. You act like stern betrayed you? They still will release a new “real” game soon. And you don’t have to buy this. It isn’t for you. These home stern threads are like the Arcade1up thread on here or Klov. Sorry these sell. Show me a distributor that still has the older home version in stock? Go read the Spider-Man home version thread. People enjoy these, and some don’t live on pinside

Old games break, yes you can buy old games in the sub 4K price range but they break. Newer games usual work fine for a while. I do agree 4K is a little much. In the 3k range is pretty good price wise foe what you get. I mean the new pong is expensive... all redemption/amusement stuff is expensive. You complain about this? Go buy the new halo arcade game or the sit inside Star Wars arcade. That makes this look cheap.

#61 4 years ago

This is the big announcement?

1CFAFA71-C47F-436A-BA30-6F85CCD9FA1A (resized).png1CFAFA71-C47F-436A-BA30-6F85CCD9FA1A (resized).png
#62 4 years ago

That display...

tenor (resized).pngtenor (resized).png
#63 4 years ago

Pinside logic is always the same. "If you can afford $4000 you can afford $6000".

Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Beyond disappointing for such a targeted audience. Why on Earth would you release such a lackluster example of what you do best for an audience with deep pockets?

Because everything Stern does isn't for Pinside. This isn't the beating heart of pinball, and must be catered to with every move.

There are people out there who don't want to buy a used pinball machine, because it's incredibly intimidating to think about trying to keep it running. They want new, with a warranty and a dealer. And they can't afford or don't want to spend nearly $6000 on a toy, but can justify closer to $4k.

Or not and it's a failure. Either way, it's clearly not for you, or most people in this thread, and that's okay. You weren't promised anything, there was no hype or campaign, just a little press release about them being at a big convention that's for nerds and has nothing to do with pinball.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks the pro translite, similar if not the same cabinet art as premium(subtle differences), front art almost the same, Death Star toy looks similar if not the same.
Is there anything different?WTF?

different PF - looks like a modified spiderman home PF.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

I can understand making a home model that was actually affordable say in the less than 1000 dollar range, but if you can afford 4 grand for a "home" pinball machine, why couldnt you afford 5 for a real pinball machine or 3 grand for a real used pinball machine. I just paid 4400 dollars for a STTNG, which is way better than this. I actually feel sorry for someone who lays 4 grand down for that. Wait a few years you can pick one up on craigslist for probably less than a thousand.....

You have to be joking.

STTNG is as big as a Jaguar and requires even more maintenance. There's a huge potential market for people who want a reliable brand new game that doesn't dwarf their fridge, rather than a 25 year old problem child...not everybody wants to deal with craigslist and used games or the increasingly shady secondary pinball market. This all goes without saying, and we have this conversation every time a home pin comes out.

The problem has been the games and the value, not the concept. There's room on the market for a quality $4,000 game, now that the cheapest pro game is $5500. That's a big difference in price and a lot of money for a consumer to save who doesn't mind that it isn't STTNG.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pinside logic is always the same. "If you can afford $4000 you can afford $6000".

Because everything Stern does isn't for Pinside. This isn't the beating heart of pinball, and must be catered to with every move.
There are people out there who don't want to buy a used pinball machine, because it's incredibly intimidating to think about trying to keep it running. They want new, with a warranty and a dealer. And they can't afford or don't want to spend nearly $6000 on a toy, but can justify closer to $4k.
Or not and it's a failure. Either way, it's clearly not for you, or most people in this thread, and that's okay. You weren't promised anything, there was no hype or campaign, just a little press release about them being at a big convention that's for nerds and has nothing to do with pinball.

Ya, where was the pinball community promised a huge release? I think Elwin said 2 weeks last week?

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

different PF - looks like a modified spiderman home PF.

Actually it does. Looks like they moved the left ramp over one shot. Otherwise very similr

A6AB5BEA-F46C-4F23-B826-5E1E32E06890 (resized).jpegA6AB5BEA-F46C-4F23-B826-5E1E32E06890 (resized).jpegBF945987-CB8C-4D90-97E4-E4089B5F2B10 (resized).jpegBF945987-CB8C-4D90-97E4-E4089B5F2B10 (resized).jpeg
#68 4 years ago

I wonder if any part of this newest release is to compete with the potential similar costing Deeproot games that were promised...

#69 4 years ago

I played the Spider-Man home game. It’s really pretty good.
It’s fun.
This could be fun too.
This might work really well for the children’s hospitals.
A fun game. A theme everyone knows.
A lower price point.
This could be a win for stern and people looking for a fun new game that’s not north or 5k.

#70 4 years ago

At least they fixed the shooter lane so it no longer launches into standup!!

#71 4 years ago

Why not?

I’m curious to see how it does.

#72 4 years ago

Shit, I own a pro and this looks cool. So did the SM home version. Clearly, pinheads want more, but if some random dude wants to buy this for their man cave, what’s wrong with that?

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Look fun to me!

And love you long time!

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

If this is really a full sized machine then at least it's a step in the right direction. I still wouldn't consider buying it.

Close. I was told it was 5" shorter than a standard machine.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The cab is, but the PF is full length. Not sure how that works but that’s what I hear.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It doesn't appear as tall either. Look how high the legs mount on the cabinet. Sized for children perhaps?

Rob

#77 4 years ago

what a piece of junk.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Quoted from Rob_G:

It doesn't appear as tall either. Look how high the legs mount on the cabinet. Sized for children perhaps?

Maybe that's it. I haven't played Spider-Man home edition so I don't know how it feels, but it seems like having to bend down an extra 5 inches to play would kind of suck. I guess if you don't know any better maybe you wouldn't notice? The price savings throwing on shorter legs would be minimal (might even cost Stern money since they now have to order and stock different sizes of legs), so they presumably picked this lower height for a design reason.

#79 4 years ago

Not sure I understand who this is for. I guess $4,000 is a lot different from $5,500 in real world dollars but if you have $4,000 to spend on a toy...

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Clearly, pinheads want more, but if some random dude wants to buy this for their man cave, what’s wrong with that?

That’s fine, but I bet a lot of buyers won’t know they can add around 20% more and get a pro that is loaded in comparison and will hold much more resale power. I get the point 4K isn’t 6K but damn you already committed a serious amount already just get a pro at that point. Just my 2 cents

#81 4 years ago

Conceptually, this layout makes more sense than the pro/premium. Left ramp to destroy Death Star, right ramp to attack tie fighters. Simple idea.

I like how the Death Star is protected by stand ups and a gate. Should be satisfying.

#82 4 years ago

Secretly i want to testplay it, but my hart knows its just garry's moneymaking box of lights

1499192347_download (1) (resized).jpg1499192347_download (1) (resized).jpg
#83 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have to be joking.
STTNG is as big as a Jaguar and requires even more maintenance. There's a huge potential market for people who want a reliable brand new game that doesn't dwarf their fridge, rather than a 25 year old problem child...not everybody wants to deal with craigslist and used games or the increasingly shady secondary pinball market. This all goes without saying, and we have this conversation every time a home pin comes out.
The problem has been the games and the value, not the concept. There's room on the market for a quality $4,000 game, now that the cheapest pro game is $5500. That's a big difference in price and a lot of money for a consumer to save who doesn't mind that it isn't STTNG.

Are you suggesting, that this thing Will be less problems, than a 25 years old well Kept Williams machine?

The problem i see with this thing is that for most people 4k is still serious money and with that comes serious investigation on what to buy for that money?
I dont think many Will end up in the conclusion, this is their best option.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Shit, I own a pro and this looks cool. So did the SM home version. Clearly, pinheads want more, but if some random dude wants to buy this for their man cave, what’s wrong with that?

How many Do you know, WHO has a man cave, that wants to clad it, with cheapest possible man-toys?

IF they want to make man-cave versions, they should consider extra everything, maybe only saving money on the coinmechanism, but ofc with a more luxorious door.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

it will have finished code and be a better value anyways.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Stern’s home edition pin is not about growing the market, it’s about designing the next round of cost cutting for the only market.

I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that's it. They are still a (luxury) lifestyle brand so they can't cheap out too much otherwise they will lose their core audience to another expensive hobby.

I think they are going after a different market, the younger people (30 and under) who will be able to buy a Home edition game on Amazon (with free shipping and freight because its so much more lighter and the ability for it to be assembled like a piece of IKEA furniture) with the pay checks they get from their first professional jobs. Its the kind of pin I would have loved to own when I was in a dorm in university, or living with flatmates after getting my first job, or even in my late teens if I begged my parents to buy me one if I got straight A's on my report card. Its not for us. It's for a different market.

#87 4 years ago

This pin could give us some new insight into how much it really costs a manufacturer to build a pin. Let‘s view this as a learning opportunity. Other questions to be answered

- what‘s the difference between a „real“ pin and a toy
- how far can you reduce bom and still have a fun game
- is it morally repugnant to put this game next to a „real“ pin in your game room

#88 4 years ago

Welll... It has actual metal ramps and the Tie Fighters now are Drop Targets wich give way to the Death Star. Thats an improvement to the Pro.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Who buys home versions for 4k? Honestly, that can’t be worth the trouble for them to make. If you want a crappy 4k stern there’s always a couple of their shit pro titles on CL. (Looking at you Wrestlemania). At least they’re full featured more or less.

There's a Wrestlemania LE on our Craigslist for $4k. Someone taking a major bath on it.

#91 4 years ago

Actually I like that they refined that left Spiderman Home shot here (it was way difficult to hit before and my main gripe with the game) and would like to shoot it.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

There's a Wrestlemania LE on our Craigslist for $4k. Someone taking a major bath on it.

That's a lot of game for 4k! Its not the best game ever but the new code makes it passable. Apparently its deep and very hard to get to wizard mode still.

#93 4 years ago

I can't speak for the US market but I'm sorry, this makes no sense. People that wouldn't spend 7,500 Canadian pre tax on a pro sure as shit will not spend 5,200 on a home model.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

A game this stripped down would to me serve no purpose other than to compel a prospective buyer to "upgrade" to a proper pinball. All a distro would have to do is set one of these up in his showroom and shoppers would know from a ball or two that a proper PRO is where worthwhile pinballs begin, etc.

They should price this at $6k, then they'd really sell a bunch of Pros.

#95 4 years ago

Just don't buy it if you don't want it. I'm not buying it, but whatever, I can still be curious.

Like, what's up with the shooter lane? I don't see wood grain. Decal? Painted? The playfield isn't actually made of wood? That last one would be interesting.

It's also interesting that habit rails were apparently cheaper than plastic ramps for the returns. How many times have the Pros had plastic while the Prem/LE got the rails?

The apron seems nicer than Spider-Man home. I know the speaker placement is sure better. Clearly Stern thinks there's a market, not only are they making another home game, they're redesigning and refining it.

#96 4 years ago

Cool! What time is the stream?

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Cool! What time is the stream?

Thu 9:30am PST (Fri 2:30am AEST)

#98 4 years ago

So 12:30 on east coast perfect Thursday luncheon!! Thanks

#99 4 years ago

The apron is way better than a pro or premium.

No horrible yellow cards that don't fit properly.

It would be funny if this game turns out to be a better player than the pro

#100 4 years ago

Come on guys. Whip your wallets out. It will be amazing when they finish the code

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richland, MI
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/2?hl=parispinballadct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.