CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The fact that previous "The Pin" machines aren't even on Stern's website nor have any manuals/schematics ever been issued doesn't exactly instill confidence in these machines. These machines, just like any other pinball machines, are going to break at some point and need a technician to repair it for the machine owner. It is vital for a technician to have the necessary information at his fingertips (switch matrix, lamp matrix, coil wiring, driver transistor numbers, etc) in order to make repairs quickly and correctly regardless of whether it's in the owner's home, or even in an office or waiting room.

Wonder how detailed the manual from the coin box is?

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Home consumers could care less about coin mechanisms but just want to make sure what they are buying is built solid and will last.

See above pics which look like MDF playfield, particle board cabinet, and flimsy bracket holding the back glass with two tiny screws.

I think the difference is much more than coin mechs and I’d personally question how long these will last (if played routinely) given the MoC’s on this game.

Any parent with any knowledge of craftsmanship will see these materials and laugh at the price tag. I’d look at the SW Pro next to it and ask “how much for the real one?”. My $0.02 looking at the materials vs price.

#603 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

After watching the unboxing video, it looks like a $1999 max price point game.

LOL how many NIB make you think wow that game is worth every penny

#604 4 years ago

With the materials used and the lack of manual, these appear to be treated as disposable pins. I'd say the average consumer would pay 1k, maybe 1.5k max for a temp toy. Once they break, they will go up for sale, just like the ol' air hockey table covered with dust in the basement.

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

With the materials used and the lack of manual, these appear to be treated as disposable pins. I'd say the average consumer would pay 1k, maybe 1.5k max for a temp toy. Once they break, they will go up for sale, just like the ol' air hockey table covered with dust in the basement.

Ah, yes. The old air hockey/laundry folding table lol.

#606 4 years ago

Its really unfortunate Stern cut so many corners and tagged this with an unrealistic price as it looks good and plays very well. Put this is a SW Pro cabinet and I’d be a potential buyer.

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Its really unfortunate Stern cut so many corners and tagged this with an unrealistic price as it looks good and plays very well. Put this is a SW Pro cabinet and I’d be a potential buyer.

Watching the video, it reeks of cheap. I'd never drop $4000 on that.

#608 4 years ago

I haven't verified this for sure yet. But I believe the main CPU and the other node board are standard Spike 2 boards. Which would mean that the documentation is already out there. And that they will be as readily available as they are for any Spike 2 system. The other main parts (flippers, light boards, slings) are all standard too I believe. There is also built in diagnostics for Spike 2. A manual is rarely needed. Mostly just for part numbers.

So, if these are indeed the same parts used in the other Spike 2 games. Then there will be no more problem servicing these as any other Spike 2. I don't know anyone who has difficulty keeping their modern Stern games running and in good repair.

For me, serviceability does not come into the equation when considering purchasing this or not.

Just my 2 cents.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

A manual is rarely needed. Mostly just for part numbers.

How about for the switch matrix? Lamp matrix? Coil wiring? Driver transistor number/location?

The manuals used to explain in detail what each software adjustment did and what the factory default is.

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Watching the video, it reeks of cheap. I'd never drop $4000 on that.

Hate to say it, but the inflated $4k price is likely due in part to the fact that it is made in one of the most costly labor/regulatory markets anywhere. If it were assembled in China or some SE Asian country it could probably be profitably priced more in the $2-2.5k range, which would make the BOM/features compromises a lot easier to swallow.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Hate to say it, but the inflated $4k price is likely due in part to the fact that it is made in one of the most costly labor/regulatory markets anywhere. If it were assembled in China or some SE Asian country it could probably be profitably priced more in the $2-2.5k range, which would make the BOM/features compromises a lot easier to swallow.

You mean like Thunderbirds?

#612 4 years ago

I played the one at the Cleveland Show, yesterday. Overall, I liked it. It actually shot pretty well.
It of course does feel a bit cheaper. That mostly seemed to be because it feels lighter than a standard pin when nudging and slap saving.
For some reason it was set to 5 ball. Plus, I earned a couple extra balls.
By the time I was done with that game, I didn't quite notice the cheaper feel.

It of course isn't overly deep and lacks the great use of the action button with the shot multiplier that the commercial models have.
For me, that is what really makes the standard SW shine.

By no means a terrible game.
If it was under $3k NIB, I'd consider one.

#613 4 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

The "Free Parking" shot on #Monopoly, in 2001.

I was thinking I experienced one on a BKSOR pro about 8 months ago.

#614 4 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

I played the one at the Cleveland Show, yesterday. Overall, I liked it. It actually shot pretty well.
It of course does feel a bit cheaper. That mostly seemed to be because it feels lighter than a standard pin when nudging and slap saving.
For some reason it was set to 5 ball. Plus, I earned a couple extra balls.
By the time I was done with that game, I didn't quite notice the cheaper feel.
It of course isn't overly deep and lacks the great use of the action button with the shot multiplier that the commercial models have.
For me, that is what really makes the standard SW shine.
By no means a terrible game.
If it was under $3k NIB, I'd consider one.

Ya but it seems even after playing you agree its a grand too much at least,thanks for some feedback tho,more ppl whos played it should start chiming in

#615 4 years ago

I played this game a couple of times in Cleveland.

I could see this being the model for the new PRO models once they put in a functioning coin door.

It shot well, and felt more like a commercial product than their other home models I played.

The LCD is too small as far away as it is.

Two of the pop bumpers use the same driver and the slings both operate at the same time, making it louder than normal when you're in the pops or hitting the slings.

The ball lock is ridiculous. You can't shoot it to lock a ball in it, best you can do is wait for one to accidentally fall into it.

I told my buddy that it would be a good deal at 3000, but I bet they'd try to get 4000 for it.

Some of this stuff is going to find its way to the pro models. Count on it.

#616 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I played this game a couple of times in Cleveland.
I could see this being the model for the new PRO models once they put in a functioning coin door.
It shot well, and felt more like a commercial product than their other home models I played.
The LCD is too small as far away as it is.
Two of the pop bumpers use the same driver and the slings both operate at the same time, making it louder than normal when you're in the pops or hitting the slings.
The ball lock is ridiculous. You can't shoot it to lock a ball in it, best you can do is wait for one to accidentally fall into it.
I told my buddy that it would be a good deal at 3000, but I bet they'd try to get 4000 for it.
Some of this stuff is going to find its way to the pro models. Count on it.

Oh yea - one other thing. There is a target in the center of the playfield that is really almost impossible to hit. Can't be done from the left flipper, and would be nearly impossible from the right. I spent an entire game trying just to see if I could do it.

#617 4 years ago

Ya that ball lock was on Spiderman home, and you're right. It is more of a luck shot than skill, unless you got good at some ricochet shot

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Oh yea - one other thing. There is a target in the center of the playfield that is really almost impossible to hit. Can't be done from the left flipper, and would be nearly impossible from the right. I spent an entire game trying just to see if I could do it.

Sounds not so good man,should be better for that cash,thanks for the imput

#619 4 years ago

Well, 60 days now since this game was announced. Still the only thing available for it is a sales flyer on Stern's website. So much for support. :rolleyes:

#620 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Well, 60 days now since this game was announced. Still the only thing available for it is a sales flyer on Stern's website. So much for support. :rolleyes:

Lol,not surprised!

1 week later
#621 4 years ago

Game being streamed with George Gomez:

8C2CF99B-507E-42C2-AA9F-3B5CF42730DA (resized).png8C2CF99B-507E-42C2-AA9F-3B5CF42730DA (resized).png
#622 4 years ago

Flip N Out Pinball Streaming Exclusive

3 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4,999.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 4,999.99
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/13?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.