CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg

There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
#551 4 years ago

This part of the recent George Gomez interview with 'Special when lit', stolen from 'TWIP' sounds awesome:
"So what I did is, I came up with this thing where in the Death Star Multiball, which is started by taking down the drop targets a certain number of times. You get a four ball multiball, and when you’re down to a single ball, we start a timer and we start strobing the lights on the ramp, and you have within the timer to get control of the ball and make the shot."

And for the tech guys:
The whole game runs with only ONE (!!!) node board (wich explains the simultaniously firing slingshots and stuff).

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

And for the tech guys:
The whole game runs with only ONE (!!!) node board (which explains the simultaniously firing slingshots and stuff).

So if that node board craps out you are dead in the water and have a 250 pound paperweight.

#553 4 years ago

I would think you could buy a node board (if its out of warranty). Sure your game is down until then....

Quoted from KenLayton:

So if that node board craps out you are dead in the water and have a 250 pound paperweight.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I would think you could buy a node board (if its out of warranty). Sure your game is down until then....

Correct, Stern has sent replacement node boards out to customers even when out of warranty.

Is this really an issue?

Who plays when you have boards out anyhow?

#555 4 years ago
Quoted from vansmack99:

Can anyone confirm if John William's score is included. I read somewhere no official music.

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 12.02.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-29 at 12.02.50 PM (resized).png
#556 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

That is different to any other pinball with a broken board, power supply, whatever in wich way?

You don't have to actively make up things to dislike the game.

#557 4 years ago

I like how it says commercial quality. When people bitch about flaws they always come back with " it is a commercial item, it isnt supposed to look perfect". In reality Sterns shit isnt commercial quality. Its an overpriced cheap toy.

#558 4 years ago

One thing I noted at CAX was that the new Sterns got played the most and had the least downtime of any of the pins I was interested in playing. A lot of the old Williams, Ballys and DE's were up and down all day. Most likely minor issues as they always came back on line at some point, but the Sterns for the most part always seemed to be working.

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That is different to any other pinball with a broken board, power supply, whatever in wich way?
You don't have to actively make up things to dislike the game.

If my flipper link breaks I have a 250 pound paperweight!!!!

#560 4 years ago

So since people are suggesting the layout looks more fun on this Home version (or at the very least, easier to play - not as brutal), how feasible is it to transplant the home playfield into the pro cabinet?

Its the same playfield size so it should physically fit. Swap out the spike boards, connect to the larger monitor in the pro, connect to the full speaker package in the pro, and you are good to go?

Granted the coin mechs wouldn't operate but am I wrong in thinking its totally possible to transplant this playfield and make it run on a full size cabinet?

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

One thing I noted at CAX was that the new Sterns got played the most and had the least downtime of any of the pins I was interested in playing. A lot of the old Williams, Ballys and DE's were up and down all day. Most likely minor issues as they always came back on line at some point, but the Sterns for the most part always seemed to be working.

Let's compare apples to apples here. Let's see how the spike systems are doing in 2034. I highly doubt you'll see them coming back on line as often when they go down.

#562 4 years ago

That could happen. Just noting what I observed, which actually surprised me.

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So since people are suggesting the layout looks more fun on this Home version (or at the very least, easier to play - not as brutal), how feasible is it to transplant the home playfield into the pro cabinet?
Its the same playfield size so it should physically fit. Swap out the spike boards, connect to the larger monitor in the pro, connect to the full speaker package in the pro, and you are good to go?
Granted the coin mechs wouldn't operate but am I wrong in thinking its totally possible to transplant this playfield and make it run on a full size cabinet?

Huh..... that is actually interesting....potentially if the code was changed and it was the same spike then yes? Be fun to have a sw home pf around to swap in, or build a spike game. Empty cab, buy pf, spike is cheap ish, you’d be under 4K for sure

#564 4 years ago

I am curious if this machine is going to ship like a standard pinball, or will it have reduced packaging with some minor assembly like Ikea furniture? The screws in the cab tell me that the main cabinet that holds the playfield is meant to be broken down. Or was this a design move for strength due to using some thinner plywood?

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am curious if this machine is going to ship like a standard pinball, or will it have reduced packaging with some minor assembly like Ikea furniture? The screws in the cab tell me that the main cabinet that holds the playfield is meant to be broken down. Or was this a design move for strength due to using some thinner plywood?

I want to say the old ones shipped with legs/head off and you only bolted those on and turned it on..but not sure.

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If my flipper link breaks I have a 250 pound paperweight!!!!

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

agreed. the problem isn't china, it's the companies that produce goods with parts where the specs just good enough to pass their testing but keep the bottom line down

The point wasn't about where the parts are made.. but the marketplace and vendors being cited. It's like using ebay as your source for setting up your supply chain and business plan.

3 weeks later
#568 4 years ago

Anyone know when these ship? Or order one?

#569 4 years ago

I still don't see it in the machine database. Is there something against "home" pins on pinside?

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I still don't see it in the machine database. Is there something against "home" pins on pinside?

It doesn’t make sense, but there are some on pinside against everything

#571 4 years ago

I see the only "documentation" available at Stern's website is a sales flyer. Still no manuals or game code.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Stern’s home edition pin is not about growing the market, it’s about designing the next round of cost cutting for the only market.

Ur saying they’re trying to guide pinball machine production into this vs normal size?

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Anyone who thinks this is the big announcement at Comic-con is pretty short sighted. Tomorrow 9:30AM Pacific Time.

Oops lol

#574 4 years ago

Star Wars: The Pin
Unboxing, Setup, and Gameplay

#575 4 years ago

I see in the unboxing video, there is no cabinet woofer speaker. Hole and grill is there, but no speaker.

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I see in the unboxing video, there is no cabinet woofer speaker. Hole and grill is there, but no speaker

George said on a podcast that there will be a line of accessories for this model. He talked about a speaker upgrade specifically. I think it adds two more speakers or something like that.

What is the playfield made of? It didn't look like the standard plywood. But I can't be sure. Also, the cabinet seems to be made of a different type of board? If so, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I guess it would depend on the grade of the material.

Seems like a pretty cool game. My guess is that kids and non-pinheads will find it more approachable. I may get one. If it were a bit less expensive I would have ordered one already.

#577 4 years ago

Are the silver circles part of the corner cabinet brackets put on after cabinet splitting

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Star Wars: The Pin
Unboxing, Setup, and Gameplay

Damn it dont look too bad at all,would you put this in your lineup zack?It is quite beautiful as well

#579 4 years ago

looks to be particle board cabinet, and the silver circles are like the Ikea assembly parts. at least that's what it looks like. surprised this doesn't come as an assemble yourself cabinet kit.

#580 4 years ago

and yeah, that looks like mdf playfield or something after watching again.

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

looks to be particle board cabinet, and the silver circles are like the Ikea assembly parts. at least that's what it looks like. surprised this doesn't come as an assemble yourself cabinet kit. and yeah, that looks like mdf playfield or something after watching again.

The waste on shipping seems very silly. The entire cabinet is empty, they should totally go the Arcade 1Up/Ikea route, they could get this down to a 1/4 the size. This really shows you there is plenty of low hanging fruit as far as cost reduction.

#582 4 years ago

After watching the unboxing video, it looks like a $1999 max price point game.

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

looks to be particle board cabinet, and the silver circles are like the Ikea assembly parts. at least that's what it looks like. surprised this doesn't come as an assemble yourself cabinet kit.

Cab and playfield is a type of mdf yes. Silver circles on cab help secure the cabinet together. For the audience and likely locations, it should hold up well.

Quoted from Tbpilot78:

Damn it dont look too bad at all,would you put this in your lineup zack?It is quite beautiful as well

It shoots well and the parts on playfield are nice. It’s shoot like a commercial-grade Stern. Layout is great and there’s a lot of fun to be had for sure. I wouldn’t put one in my collection because Stern Star Wars Prem/LE is one of my favorite games ever made so no need for two. But for an office break room or waiting room I’d love it. I’d play the hell out of it if one of my non-pin buddies were to pick one up for their game room.

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The waste on shipping seems very silly. The entire cabinet is empty, they should totally go the Arcade 1Up/Ikea route, they could get this down to a 1/4 the size. This really shows you there is plenty of low hanging fruit as far as cost reduction.

No worries there as most distributors waive the shipping on Stern machines.

#585 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Cab and playfield is a type of mdf yes. Silver circles on cab help secure the cabinet together. For the audience and likely locations, it should hold up well.

It shoots well and the parts on playfield are nice. It’s shoot like a commercial-grade Stern. Layout is great and there’s a lot of fun to be had for sure. I wouldn’t put one in my collection because Stern Star Wars Prem/LE is one of my favorite games ever made so no need for two. But for an office break room or waiting room I’d love it. I’d play the hell out of it if one of my non-pin buddies were to pick one up for their game room.

I look forward to trying one out soon,thanks for the reply

#586 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

No worries there as most distributors waive the shipping on Stern machines.

The consumer pays it no matter what "waiving shipping" is just marketing speak for selling under MSRP or some other sale or discount. The shipping is included in the price. If it was 1/4 the size that would be a direct savings on the bottom line. Also Stern still assemblies pins by hand right, there would be plenty of savings to be had in labour and efficiency that could reduce the cost. I know there is still this idea that pins are super complicated but they are really not. Young people order PC as parts and assemble them. They assemble every piece of furniture they own. Personally I think they should offer these in an apartment version with no back box, table top style. Just put that little screen in the apron and make the glass level when the PF is at 6.5 degrees. You could even do a wall hanger that you pull out with folding front legs.

#587 4 years ago

I'd rather spend the extra grand & get all the "REAL" features of a Pinball Machine. This looks really cheap to me for the money. I don't get it you could easily get a Star Wars Pro NOB with very few miles for roughly 4,500.00. I think Stern has priced themselves out of any potential new markets other than complete impulse buyers. Just my two cents.

#588 4 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

I'd rather spend the extra grand & get all the "REAL" features of a Pinball Machine. This looks really cheap to me for the money. I don't get it you could easily get a Star Wars Pro NOB with very few miles for roughly 4,500.00. I think Stern has priced themselves out of any potential new markets other than complete impulse buyers. Just my two cents.

It is priced too high,people keep mentioning non-pinball ppl as a market and at 4k you cant be serious.Thats not a price point where someones gonna go "hey that looks cool lets get one for the kids rec room" Arcade 1up at least has a price point that has sold alotta mini cabs to non-arcade ppl.2499-2999 woulda really got alot of attention but i dont think theyll sell at 4k+

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from Tbpilot78:

It is priced too high,people keep mentioning non-pinball ppl as a market and at 4k you cant be serious.Thats not a price point where someones gonna go "hey that looks cool lets get one for the kids rec room" Arcade 1up at least has a price point that has sold alotta mini cabs to non-arcade ppl.2499-2999 woulda really got alot of attention but i dont think theyll sell at 4k+

Exactly & BTW people 99.9% of kids don't like pinball. It's you that enjoy pinball using your kids as an excuse to purchase one. Most Kids like the vids!!

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from Tbpilot78:

This exactly. I'd almost consider getting one for my son if the price was much more attractive because he could be playing Star Wars w/ an LCD.

Then I see this which looks like a particle board cabinet...
SWH1 (resized).pngSWH1 (resized).png

This, which looks like an MDF playfield...
SHW2 (resized).pngSHW2 (resized).png

And this, which is a flimsy L-bracket to hold on the Backglass...
SWH3 (resized).pngSWH3 (resized).png

And realize this is not close to being worth $4K to me. $2500? Maybe I'd give it a whirl and beat it into the ground, but no F'ing way am I getting an IKEA pinball for $4K.

#591 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The consumer pays it no matter what "waiving shipping" is just marketing speak for selling under MSRP or some other sale or discount. The shipping is included in the price. If it was 1/4 the size that would be a direct savings on the bottom line. Also Stern still assemblies pins by hand right, there would be plenty of savings to be had in labour and efficiency that could reduce the cost. I know there is still this idea that pins are super complicated but they are really not. Young people order PC as parts and assemble them. They assemble every piece of furniture they own. Personally I think they should offer these in an apartment version with no back box, table top style. Just put that little screen in the apron and make the glass level when the PF is at 6.5 degrees. You could even do a wall hanger that you pull out with folding front legs.

Honestly Darscot it’s not marketing speak from me. We charge shipping with every other manufacturer. I can’t speak to if it’s built into pricing from stern but I sure do pay for it. If it goes close it costs me less if it goes West it costs me more. I truly pay for the shipping.

#592 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Honestly Darscot it’s not marketing speak from me. We charge shipping with every other manufacturer. I can’t speak to if it’s built into pricing from stern but I sure do pay for it. If it goes close it costs me less if it goes West it costs me more. I truly pay for the shipping.

Yes that's fair my point was just someone is paying that shipping. If the box was 1/4 the size and shipping half as much it would be better for you and the consumer as there would be more room to discount. I dunno how much savings there would be, because the weight would be the same but if you can fit 4 on a pallet it would have to be cheaper.

#593 4 years ago

How well do we think Stern will ultimately support this game? What vibe do you get from them, do they actually seem committed these “Pin” models now?

Games are shipping, but there are no service manuals posted to the Stern website at this point, which is unusual for them and frankly a bit ominous, given that they don’t appear to even acknowledge the existence of the Avengers and Transformers games at all. It also seems as if they are trying to discourage the end-user from accessing the “innards”, given the coin door partition (totally unnecessary, and that money should have instead been allocated to stereo backbox speakers and/or a cabinet mid/bass driver) and screws/bracket rather than a lock for the backglass. This would be a great fit for my kids and their friends, but I am concerned they’ll end up abandoning this game too or that they will tell me it’s only serviceable by “qualified personnel” if I call for tech support.

The previous “Pin” games were virtually non-serviceable, never had any printed or online service documentation available (not even a list of rubber sizes or fuse locations, or basic schematics/parts diagrams), and don’t appear to have spare parts (beyond the universal stuff) available anywhere.

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

How well do we think Stern will ultimately support this game? What vibe do you get from them, do they actually seem committed these “Pin” models now?
Games are shipping, but there are no service manuals posted to the Stern website at this point, which is unusual for them and frankly a bit ominous, given that they don’t appear to even acknowledge the existence of the Avengers and Transformers games at all. It also seems as if they are trying to discourage the end-user from accessing the “innards”, given the coin door partition (totally unnecessary, and that money should have instead been allocated to stereo backbox speakers and/or a cabinet mid/bass driver) and screws/bracket rather than a lock for the backglass. This would be a great fit for my kids and their friends, but I am concerned they’ll end up abandoning this game too or that they will tell me it’s only serviceable by “qualified personnel” if I call for tech support.
The previous “Pin” games were virtually non-serviceable, never had any printed or online service documentation available (not even a list of rubber sizes or fuse locations, or basic schematics/parts diagrams), and don’t appear to have spare parts (beyond the universal stuff) available anywhere.

Yep and that crap is poor practice,those "pins" arent cheap and to ghost your own product is very suspect to me.It does look servicable though but will there ever be a rubber kit made for the thing?

#595 4 years ago

Any pooling in the clearcoat yet? That would be something if this playfield holds up better than the real deal.

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Any pooling in the clearcoat yet? That would be something if this playfield holds up better than the real deal.

Lmao!

#597 4 years ago

Looks like F U N to me

#598 4 years ago

Comparing Star Wars Home Pin to a pre-owned Pro for $4500 is a mute point. Who puts a pro for sale for $4500 probably a pinsider? Having a retail store the people for the most part that walk through our doors have never even heard of pinside and they came to us as they know we are brick and mortar establishment that will service and support the product after the sale. To home consumers there is piece of mind in purchasing a $4500 game from an established game retailer than purchasing for same price similar product with no support and just a hand shake and a wave as they back out of the driveway after purchasing from a private party. Buying their first pinball and NO IDEA how to work on it.

I’m not trying to hype this game here. It was never meant to be sold or marketed to the pinball collector pinsider. But I’m actually here defending it because I think some here don’t get it. Because as I said it wasn’t designed for the pinball collector, that now caught wind of it but feel because it doesn’t meet their standards they must bash it and find ways to justify why it’s not for them.
- I think it is a great entry level pinball for our type of consumer looking to add their first pinball to compliment with their pool table & multicade they just purchased to round out their gameroom.
- price point is $1500ish less than a pro. Home consumers could care less about coin mechanisms but just want to make sure what they are buying is built solid and will last.
- Game features original John Williams score and has TONs of movie clips throughout game play and in attract mode. More so in attract mode than the pro.
- LCD is a big plus over all other previous home pinball attempts in previous years. Although smaller looks light years better than a DMD.
- and finally after having this game in our showroom. I’m gravitating to play it. Don’t knock it until you play it. The rules are easy to understand but hard to complete. You have to spell FORCE to light (blink) a rebel LEIA/HAN/R2D2 or LUKE. After lighting force you have to complete the shots for each character. Hard to start each character and complete them within one 3 ball game. There are other rules that I just haven’t figured out yet.

Just my .02 on this game as a distributor/retailer. I’ve sold their previous models and thus one is definitely better.

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Comparing Star Wars Home Pin to a pre-owned Pro for $4500 is a mute point. Who puts a pro for sale for $4500 probably a pinsider? Having a retail store the people for the most part that walk through our doors have never even heard of pinside and they came to us as they know we are brick and mortar establishment that will service and support the product after the sale. To home consumers there is piece of mind in purchasing a $4500 game from an established game retailer than purchasing for same price similar product with no support and just a hand shake and a wave as they back out of the driveway after purchasing from a private party. Buying their first pinball and NO IDEA how to work on it.
I’m not trying to hype this game here. It was never meant to be sold or marketed to the pinball collector pinsider. But I’m actually here defending it because I think some here don’t get it. Because as I said it wasn’t designed for the pinball collector, that now caught wind of it but feel because it doesn’t meet their standards they must bash it and find ways to justify why it’s not for them.
- I think it is a great entry level pinball for our type of consumer looking to add their first pinball to compliment with their pool table & multicade they just purchased to round out their gameroom.
- price point is $1500ish less than a pro. Home consumers could care less about coin mechanisms but just want to make sure what they are buying is built solid and will last.
- Game features original John Williams score and has TONs of movie clips throughout game play and in attract mode. More so in attract mode than the pro.
- LCD is a big plus over all other previous home pinball attempts in previous years. Although smaller looks light years better than a DMD.
- and finally after having this game in our showroom. I’m gravitating to play it. Don’t knock it until you play it. The rules are easy to understand but hard to complete. You have to spell FORCE to light (blink) a rebel LEIA/HAN/R2D2 or LUKE. After lighting force you have to complete the shots for each character. Hard to start each character and complete them within one 3 ball game. There are other rules that I just haven’t figured out yet.
Just my .02 on this game as a distributor/retailer. I’ve sold their previous models and thus one is definitely better.

Thats cool and i dont doubt that its fun as hell,it looks beautiful and i am sure when i get the chance ill play the hell outta it.Just seems like a ton of cash for a non-pinballer to shell out BUT i havent played it so who knows maybe itll surprise me and ill see the value more

#600 4 years ago

The fact that previous "The Pin" machines aren't even on Stern's website nor have any manuals/schematics ever been issued doesn't exactly instill confidence in these machines. These machines, just like any other pinball machines, are going to break at some point and need a technician to repair it for the machine owner. It is vital for a technician to have the necessary information at his fingertips (switch matrix, lamp matrix, coil wiring, driver transistor numbers, etc) in order to make repairs quickly and correctly regardless of whether it's in the owner's home, or even in an office or waiting room.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.