CFC653BC-BE65-41BC-BB47-35BA5123694D (resized).jpeg
45FF08FD-61BF-4034-B9F4-8E98AB6DBAE8.jpeg
th (resized).jpg
DBEEF7D0-592E-4F86-B374-46C66F53FF6E.gif
364D5501-B6F7-4EA0-9A1D-A60783A64514 (resized).jpeg
58A94CFF-30C0-4512-80C8-6B97CB81545C (resized).jpeg
41BAAF3A-17BE-4424-8B98-C0DE4B62B123 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3914 (resized).jpg
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
#501 4 years ago

The other thing is you cant make it too good or people wont bother with the higher up models and will just buy this! Might explain the smaller LCD as i am almost sure adding a bigger one would not cost much more at all! The only part changing is the actual lcd screen and they must be pretty cheap in the quantities stern buy them in. Id say the smaller one is probably more expensive? (lower volume not really a standard size??) Just thinking out loud

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

The other thing is you cant make it too good or people wont bother with the higher up models and will just buy this! Might explain the smaller LCD as i am almost sure adding a bigger one would not cost much more at all! The only part changing is the actual lcd screen and they must be pretty cheap in the quantities stern buy them in. Id say the smaller one is probably more expensive? (lower volume not really a standard size??) Just thinking out loud

That is propably wrong but generally you're right.
I explain why.

The alternated backbox, with the smaler lower part for LCD and Speakers, is a part that is especially designed and manufactured for this game.
Usually it would make more sense to keep the old form factor since it means no additional cost and no additional stock, since it can be used on all models.
So there will be a business reason to make this (propably more expensive due to low quantities) part, wich propably is the cost saving of the smaler screens, smaler speakers (and propably to drive the weight down as well since the usual games are a tiny bit to heavy that a supermarket would handle them) and to differenciate it from the bigger models as someone allready said.

#503 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So there will be a business reason to make this (propably more expensive due to low quantities) part, wich propably is the cost saving of the smaler screens, smaler speakers (and propably to drive the weight down as well since the usual games are a tiny bit to heavy that a supermarket would handle them) and to differenciate it from the bigger models as someone allready said.

I would bet good money that the screen is from another application that is turned out by the millions and costs pennies.

When netbooks (very small laptops) burst onto the scene years ago one factiod that leaked out what the screen was actually from a popular GPS unit.

#504 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I would bet good money that the screen is from another application that is turned out by the millions and costs pennies.
When netbooks (very small laptops) burst onto the scene years ago one factiod that leaked out what the screen was actually from a popular GPS unit.

Of course it is.
Not "pennies", but yes, it's a mass product.

#505 4 years ago

Is it just a plug and play replacement with the larger ones? or requires different driver hardware? Wonder what the cost differences are.

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Is it just a plug and play replacement with the larger ones? or requires different driver hardware? Wonder what the cost differences are.

Just to get a feeling:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Sharp-brand-5-5inch-4k-lcd_60839964359.html

#507 4 years ago

Do companies like stern actually use alibaba? as you never really know what your getting / could be shitting out all sorts of emissions which could fail CE certification etc... I'd of guessd they would be getting from a big well known traceable distrubuter? But at a larger cost

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Game will be available soon and it costs $4k, will you be buying one? I ask because that seems to be the only sticking point to Stern being able to sell these in quantity. If you answered no, would you buy one if it were priced at $3k? I’d be a very hard yes. The proof is in the pudding and we will see how things actually play out.

Heck no when I see a ST pro in excellent shape (not nib but excellent shape) for sale at $4500 there’s not even a debate in my mind.

#509 4 years ago

Just had a close look at the pics, there's some interesting things in this game:
Captive ball lock
Left wireform ramp entrance
Death star ramp feed to wireform ramp
Use of targets on Death Star and Tie-Fighter ramps

#510 4 years ago

I am a pro buyer but would never buy this
Hopefully this doesn't change their model that pros won't be available anymore.

I don't think any of my pinfriends would buy this, at 2k maybe my non pinball friends, but a 4400 neither one of each group I think.

I like and support and buy Stern games but I hope that this won't be a success..

#511 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

How about buying a bigger lcd screen and mirroring it with the smaller screen? Maybe make a topper that mirrors what is on the small screen. If you can plug in a bigger screen and able to mirror the small display that would be pretty cool.

#512 4 years ago

By the time you do that you could have purchased a Star Wars PRO for the same price.

Quoted from Willy39:

How about buying a bigger lcd screen and mirroring it with the smaller screen? Maybe make a topper that mirrors what is on the small screen. If you can plug in a bigger screen and able to mirror the small display that would be pretty cool.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

My best guess is the combination of two things:
1) From what I saw on Deadflips stream, this one looks and plays very well unlike past "home" efforts, so it should still satisfy that pinball feel without feeling cheap.
2) It's priced to where they have left a good amount of meat on the bone for traditional brick and mortar stores like Best Buy, etc, to consider selling it.
Without a good margin it makes no sense for such stores to take up floor space with this kinda stuff, but given the msrp maybe this time around there is enough margin there for them to consider it. Combine that with a true pinball experience and maybe this will work this time around. Just a guess though.

Spiderman played well enough as a 'real' pin too.
We don't know what kind of margin and pricing flexibility they will have on these things so that seems up in the air until we see some retailers posting prices.

I don't see this as much different from stores selling appliances or how stores like Sears sold pool tables, etc. You put one on the floor, and the rest you pull from the warehouse or ship to home. The integration between online and B&M stores actually helps this model more now than it did 10+ years ago. Ship to home is common place.

Would it blow people away if a home edition was the first Stern to get online features?

#514 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

By the time you do that you could have purchased a Star Wars PRO for the same price.

I am not in the market for either. Though for 3k or less I think I would be interested in the home edition. And adding a lcd screen as a topper mirroring the small screen would not be expensive $100 or so. I think more of the issue would be is if it could be done. Is there a way to plug in a second display and mirror the small display.

#515 4 years ago

Street price will be $4k according to an ad I saw, not $3k. List price is $4499. 3k would be very tempting but probably would not leave Stern enough margin to be feasible.

Quoted from Willy39:

I am not in the market for either. Though for 3k or less I think I would be interested in the home edition. And adding a lcd screen as a topper mirroring the small screen would not be expensive $100 or so. I think more of the issue would be is if it could be done. Is there a way to plug in a second display and mirror the small display.

#516 4 years ago

I've now started a section on pinwiki for Stern Home Model pins:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stern_Pinball_Home_Models

Help is appreciated in getting more information in it.

#517 4 years ago

I think Jack said the Star Wars home was running the spike2 board (not spike1) if that matters in your wiki.

Quoted from KenLayton:

I've now started a section on pinwiki for Stern Home Model pins:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stern_Pinball_Home_Models
Help is appreciated in getting more information in it.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I can see two possible outcomes and how they can affect Pinsiders in the long run:
1. It's wildly successful and Stern decides to incorporate some of the cost cutting measures (i.e. paperclip ball lock) into future cornerstone pins.
2. It's horribly disastrous and Stern decides to off set some of the losses by inching up prices on cornerstone pins.
I'm not trying to bash Stern. I'm just pointing out how business decisions for one product line can have direct connections on another produce line.

The success of the cornerstone titles will have far more bearing on what happens in the future

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Do companies like stern actually use alibaba? as you never really know what your getting / could be shitting out all sorts of emissions which could fail CE certification etc... I'd of guessd they would be getting from a big well known traceable distrubuter? But at a larger cost

First that is just an example link since most of the prices aren't "open".

Second that thing is supposed to be a "Sharp" display, wich is a Japanese Company but (as all the rest) manufacture in China.
So if it is not fake (wich you could test with a smaller order) it shouldn't be junk.

But yes, you'd usually try to buy directly from the manufacturer. At least if the bulk you want is big enough.
While Stern is "big" as a pinball manufacturer it does not need nearly as many LCD for their machines as Apple, so the way to buy directly from the manufacturer isn't always possible because until certain numbers they woun't deal with you.

-> Whil I have some background, this is all mostly hypothetical! Noone here really knows what Sterns expenses are and how many machines they sell.

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

First that is just an example link since most of the prices aren't "open".
Second that thing is supposed to be a "Sharp" display, wich is a Japanese Company but (as all the rest) manufacture in China.
So if it is not fake (wich you could test with a smaller order) it shouldn't be junk.
But yes, you'd usually try to buy directly from the manufacturer. At least if the bulk you want is big enough.
While Stern is "big" as a pinball manufacturer it does not need nearly as many LCD for their machines as Apple, so the way to buy directly from the manufacturer isn't always possible because until certain numbers they woun't deal with you.
-> Whil I have some background, this is all mostly hypothetical! Noone here really knows what Sterns expenses are and how many machines they sell.

You don't cheap out on your supply chain.. because the last thing you want is to stop your production because someone decided to buy from some flybynight with no guarantees of availability, lifecycle, volumes, etc. You buy 3,000 parts for a game x # of games... and then risk getting stuck where none of them can be converted to shipping goods unless all 3,000 are in hand. And not just once.. but every time you reorder.. and not just today, but for the intended production lifecycle, etc.

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You don't cheap out on your supply chain.. because the last thing you want is to stop your production because someone decided to buy from some flybynight with no guarantees of availability, lifecycle, volumes, etc. You buy 3,000 parts for a game x # of games... and then risk getting stuck where none of them can be converted to shipping goods unless all 3,000 are in hand. And not just once.. but every time you reorder.. and not just today, but for the intended production lifecycle, etc.

What is so hard to understand on the word "example" and how is getting the best price of a well known manufacturer for a product you usually do a contract wich includes failure rates "cheapening out"?

It get's cheaper the more you promise to buy. Just god beware if something hits you like a recession and you have a contract where you have to buy stuff you don't need anymore. Switched companies because of exactly that stuff happening. Promised to buy thousands of engines for years contract manufactured for a car that, from one day to the next, noone bought anymore.
And that engine was contracted to have maximum failure rate of 15% reaching 150.000 Miles. If they don't hit that goal or deliver in the timeframe you write down it has consequences. (Good contracts are a must.)
- Just to give you an idea how that works.

#522 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Just had a close look at the pics, there's some interesting things in this game:
Captive ball lock
Left wireform ramp entrance
Death star ramp feed to wireform ramp
Use of targets on Death Star and Tie-Fighter ramps

I agree those are interesting details, has Stern ever done a ramp that leads to a stand-up target? Its an interesting concept that they may add to a future game. Maybe not for a main ramp on a Pro/Premium/LE game but a secondary ramp would be awesome.

Also the captive ball lock is so easy and interesting to do, they could easily add another one somewhere on the game for either a proper three-ball multiball or another multiball entirely (that can be stacked with the other captive ball multiball!).

Imagine a game with a drop-target at the top of a ramp behind a one-way gate that feeds to a nearby wire form, once you hit the drop-target and it drops down, you now have access to the rest of the ramp pathway!

Can anyone confirm if the Death-Star opens up at all when hit, like the Premium/LE? (I don't feel like watching the 8-hour Dead Flip stream haha)

#523 4 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

I agree those are interesting details, has Stern ever done a ramp that leads to a stand-up target? Its an interesting concept that they may add to a future game. Maybe not for a main ramp on a Pro/Premium/LE game but a secondary ramp would be awesome.
Also the captive ball lock is so easy and interesting to do, they could easily add another one somewhere on the game for either a proper three-ball multiball or another multiball entirely (that can be stacked with the other captive ball multiball!).
Imagine a game with a drop-target at the top of a ramp behind a one-way gate that feeds to a nearby wire form, once you hit the drop-target and it drops down, you now have access to the rest of the ramp pathway!
Can anyone confirm if the Death-Star opens up at all when hit, like the Premium/LE? (I don't feel like watching the 8-hour Dead Flip stream haha)

Didn’t see it open during the steam but it looks like the premium/LE toy that is split so maybe it will be coded in. They were only on .62 I believe.

Anyone notice that target with the storm trooper on it behind the 3 drops to ramp and slightly to the right side of ramp?

It is to the left of the captive ball area and think it can only be hit after taking the drops down. They didn’t talk about it during stream and didn’t see it done anything.

Ideas?

#524 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Didn’t see it open during the steam but it looks like the premium/LE toy that is split so maybe it will be coded in. They were only on .62 I believe.
Anyone notice that target with the storm trooper on it behind the 3 drops to ramp and slightly to the right side of ramp?
It is to the left of the captive ball area and think it can only be hit after taking the drops down. They didn’t talk about it during stream and didn’t see it done anything.
Ideas?

Ah yes I see it! Is that a proper drop-target? This game might have something going for it! Would I buy it? No, because its waaaaay to expen$ive for what it is.

SWH (resized).jpgSWH (resized).jpg
#525 4 years ago

Hmm no never mind, the storm trooper target a stand-up target, not a drop target and its just behind plastics. I thought it hid a new laneway :/

Still wonder what it does though?

SWH2 (resized).jpgSWH2 (resized).jpg
#526 4 years ago

Not sure if it’s even coded into the game.

They didn’t say anything about it and didn’t see any modes or anything that drew attention to it.

It’s in a really odd position with the way the ramp and drops in front are angled in relation to the target.

Has to do something right?

#527 4 years ago

This thing is a hot mess

#528 4 years ago

How could it have less shit on it that the last SW pin.

#529 4 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

has Stern ever done a ramp that leads to a stand-up target?

SpiderMan (not the home one)

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

oh cool have to check that out now

#531 4 years ago

Have any of you actually played this? It really shoots a lot better than I think you are expecting by just looking at photos. Not great, a little clunky in places, but still pretty fun. Price is the biggest issue.

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Venom is an opto rather than a stand target switch. In LOTR the sword ramp has a switch at the top. I certainly see some Gomez elements in this home Star Wars pin including the rising wireform ramp like Legolas in LOTR.

#533 4 years ago

I showed the trailer of this to my friends at work today.
One of them thought it was a great machine and asked if this was goign to be my next pin... I laughed and I was like... NOOOOOOOOOO! No way... I got my eyes are Elvira 3.

One still thought it was cheap, but still looked fun... And I agree with him. But, the funny thing is none of them were even close to the price. And I know one of them knows what I paid for my machines.
So when I told them both the price and then the price of a used pro model. Which of course explaining the now 4 models did confuse them.
They both were like... Just get a used pro.

Anyway... I think this is over priced. By about 2 thousand dollars. It might not be feasible for stern to have a pin at that cost, and it might not be reasonable for us to expect a pin at that cost..

My question to you all is... What would the magic price be for you to "Consider" owning this pin. I think 2000-2500 is my price range. For a used...

I do like the simplistic nature of it. It has a few things that look cool. And the art scheme is very close to the pro... In fact Obi wan and Darth crossing sabers is an improvement... But, the lights arent as good and off course its more barren and I think the playfield art is only good to begin with.
And with it being or having less mechs to go wrong... That does appeal to me.
And I think less risky on the used resale market...

Also, I do like the ball lock. Simple, but could be really cool. And I think one could mod the screen and make it bigger... But, only having one speaker... Or sure looks that way... Seems to a be a bit of a let down...

Not saying even at that price I would buy it... But, I would consider buying a used one... Might be a nice pin to let my father have at his house... As I wouldn't have to worry so much on it breaking down.
So please let me know your thoughts.

Also, I think the weight of it should be not too horrible. It should be lighter than most pins out there... Not by much. But, lighter is always a plus.

#534 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Venom is an opto rather than a stand target switch.

OK, but hits a dead end rubber like a target? Always thought it ways a stand-up.

#535 4 years ago

Looking at Deadpool pro (also Gomez), there's really not much less on this. Pretty much just the katana blade is missing.

#536 4 years ago

The price would be tempting at something like $3500 msrp imo. As it stands, pending some play time, I could see considering a used one in the future, in the sub $3k range. Either way the code is going to need a good more depth though. But I don't think Spider-Man Home really ever got any depth beyond this same basic ruleset did it?

Oh, I don't think I saw - are the force targets individual stand-up targets, or a garbage mono target ala Munsters?

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Keep in mind they may have wrote the graphics code for lower resolution. So even if you could make a bigger, it might look so-so.

#538 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

are the force targets individual stand-up targets, or a garbage mono target ala Munsters?

Let’s set the record straight by someone who owns the SWLE and has drop down targets. They are nice for sure, but they complete on their own as if they were a mono target. No one has to aim at them. The sling action completes them whether you need to or not. Munsters targets are not garbage, it works better for the Munsters game the way they are in the rule set. Drop targets would not make as much sense in the rule set. The targets are first class and do get unwarranted flack for sure. SWHE has a mono target, that works the same as the drops. No fun in gameplay is diminished.

#539 4 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

I agree those are interesting details, has Stern ever done a ramp that leads to a stand-up target?

The "Free Parking" shot on Monopoly, in 2001.

#540 4 years ago

Im thinkin around 2899.99 would be a pretty sweet spot on this,as long as the build quality is good and it plays fun,i like the rules on the pf,thatd make it easier for the newbs and kiddos,lowest im seeing is 4199 shipped which is agreeable too much with a used pro so close in price.

#541 4 years ago

for me the magic number is $2978.56 unless any one sells for that EXACT price I'm not interested.

#542 4 years ago

When will Star Wars Pin (Home edition) be added to the Pinside machine database?

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

What is so hard to understand on the word "example" and how is getting the best price of a well known manufacturer for a product you usually do a contract wich includes failure rates "cheapening out"?

Because the Chinese dumping grounds are not a great place to take a sample of what commercially reliable and guaranteed lifecycle products are...

#544 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because the Chinese dumping grounds are not a great place to take a sample of what commercially reliable and guaranteed lifecycle products are...

Where do you guess 99% of electronics in your home come from... pinball machines not included?

That is a rhetorical question, since I won't see your answer anymore.

Goodbye!

#545 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Where do you guess 99% of electronics in your home come from... pinball machines not included?

agreed. the problem isn't china, it's the companies that produce goods with parts where the specs just good enough to pass their testing but keep the bottom line down

#546 4 years ago

Can anyone confirm if John William's score is included. I read somewhere no official music.

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

agreed. the problem isn't china, it's the companies that produce goods with parts where the specs just good enough to pass their testing but keep the bottom line down

You pay bottom line, you get bottom line quality.
That's why you define specs for failure rates. The manufacturer of course wants to pay as little as he can... for specified quality.

And testing usually does include tests for that. Like taking a some coils out of every shipment and fire it up tens of thousands of times.

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from vansmack99:

Can anyone confirm if John William's score is included. I read somewhere no official music.

I read here (and heard) the exact opposite.

You'll know tomorrow.

Edit: Lol... Thought I was in the JP thread.
Just watch the game on twitch and hear for yourself.

#549 4 years ago

watching a few streams i kinda like this pin.

Any one who makes a new speaker panel full size lcd upgrade mod could make a bit of $$$ i reken long as the graphics scales up ok?

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Let’s set the record straight by someone who owns the SWLE and has drop down targets. They are nice for sure, but they complete on their own as if they were a mono target. No one has to aim at them. The sling action completes them whether you need to or not. Munsters targets are not garbage, it works better for the Munsters game the way they are in the rule set. Drop targets would not make as much sense in the rule set. The targets are first class and do get unwarranted flack for sure. SWHE has a mono target, that works the same as the drops. No fun in gameplay is diminished.

I could perhaps agree on individual stand-up targets vs drop targets, drops feel more interactive, etc, but at least it's 5 targets to shoot for either way for instance here.

But respectfully I don't see how you can say a mono target functions the same as a bank of 4 or 5 individual targets where accuracy to hit the particular target you need is important (or at least the adjacent target in some circumstances, with many rule sets).

The end result may be the same, but the skill required and risk involved is significantly different with a target literally the size of 4 or 5 individual stand-ups or drops vs hitting the correct target. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've needed a critical target bank completion and yet struggled to hit the particular target I needed - which is fun imo... Where is the challenge in just merely hitting anywhere on a 4-5" long mono target?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 4,999.99
$ 4,999.99
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Redlands, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 623 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-home-star-wars-/page/11?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.