(Topic ID: 182144)

Sterns holding up on location

By clg

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

OK I'm annoyed right now and a little buzzed I have been operating pins for a couple years. I get that stuff breaks, my Williams have been pretty solid, I have a TSPP that runs smoothly and my WOZ needed adjustments but did pretty well all in all particularly given how much it got played. I fix things and move on. I was thinking Metallica would be a nice easy game to put out and that it should be solid, not so!

I put Metallica out two weeks ago (one of my favourite games and never gave me problems at home) I have had a wire come off a switch (snake so it matters) a bulb/reflector get knocked off with an air ball, and now the trough switches are acting up. I thought this would be a nice trouble free game but man not even close!

Any advice for what you need to do to location proof this thing? If this keeps up it is not going to last long. HUO game and everything seemed perfect. Are there things I need to swap out or upgrade that anyone can point me to? This is the first newer stern I have put out.

Cheers for any advice.

#2 7 years ago

Whoooo man those are pretty simple issues. If you are worried about those you may be in the wrong business!!!

But in all seriousness, Metallica is one of the most reliable pinballs out there.

Hot glue those stupid bulb things, directly solder wires on the trough switch boards, and that's it.

I run like 40 pinballs, Metallica is probably my most reliable game...

#3 7 years ago

I've had my snake switch come off a couple of times. other than that nothing big. Granted it only has 3000 plays on it.

#4 7 years ago

My Metallica probably has 40,000+ plays.

It was on free play at a high tech company with 2000 employees for a full year(averaged 80 plays a day 5 days a week), and also at a pinbar I run for a few years.

It's probably one of the heaviest played mets around, and still looks damn near mint!

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

Whoooo man those are pretty simple issues. If you are worried about those you may be in the wrong business!!!
    But in all seriousness, Metallica is one of the most reliable pinballs out there.
    Hot glue those stupid bulb things, directly solder wires on the trough switch boards, and that's it.
    I run like 40 pinballs, Metallica is probably my most reliable game...

I know they are simple issues. The problem is that they all require a shutdown and I have to go fix it. I didn't do any specific prep for the game but gather it needs some. So you directly solder the wires to the trough, makes sense. Drop targets too? Anything else?

#6 7 years ago

All stems need a lot of prep before routing. Once done they are fantastic.

You basically want to remove the trough connector, and solder each wire directly onto the solder pad of the board.

If you don't do this you will need to reseat your trough connectors every 2 weeks otherwise you will encounter the balls ending during play. I assume this is your problem?

#7 7 years ago

No other boards need this. Just the trough.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

All stems need a lot of prep before routing. Once done they are fantastic.
    You basically want to remove the trough connector, and solder each wire directly onto the solder pad of the board.
    If you don't do this you will need to reseat your trough connectors every 2 weeks otherwise you will encounter the balls ending during play. I assume this is your problem?

Cool thanks. Yes balls ending play. I knew about it and bent them a little to try and keep a good connection but that is not enough clearly. I will solder the wires. I was really hoping for it to be low maintenance. Hopefully will be there soon.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

Cool thanks. Yes balls ending play. I knew about it and bent them a little to try and keep a good connection but that is not enough clearly. I will solder the wires. I was really hoping for it to be low maintenance. Hopefully will be there soon.

Quoted from clg:

Sadly no matter what you do the problem will never stop until you solder direct. It's a factory design flaw that goes until spike.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

My Metallica probably has 40,000+ plays.
    It was on free play at a high tech company with 2000 employees for a full year(averaged 80 plays a day 5 days a week), and also at a pinbar I run for a few years.
    It's probably one of the heaviest played mets around, and still looks damn near mint!

hope you got good money from that.

#11 7 years ago

Pre spike sterns are very good quality. Everything went out the shitter with spike. It seems they may have a handle on the node boards now though, at least I hope so.

#12 7 years ago

You can solder directly for the trough opto connectors, or you can switch the connectors from IDC to molex. I've had to do it on all of my Sterns. Been operating a Metallica for over a year and I'm not sure it has been out of service even once.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

You can solder directly for the trough opto connectors, or you can switch the connectors from IDC to molex. I've had to do it on all of my Sterns. Been operating a Metallica for over a year and I'm not sure it has been out of service even once.

Switching to molex sounds like a great idea. Do you use trifircon pins? ryanwanger

#14 7 years ago

Our games get played a ton, I do not have an issue with the trough boards coming undone if you spread the pins apart to provide some extra tension on the connector. I would not be soldiering directly to the board. What a hassle when you do have to replace them or sell the game. If anything, a little bit of hot glue would be fine.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Our games get played a ton, I do not have an issue with the trough boards coming undone if you spread the pins apart to provide some extra tension on the connector. I would not be soldiering directly to the board. What a hassle when you do have to replace them or sell the game. If anything, a little bit of hot glue would be fine.

It's not loose and it visually looks fine but removing and reseating seems to fix it. I have had the same problems on my ACDC trough and drop targets, ACDC is just at home though so no big deal.

I tried bending the pins and I know soldering is not ideal but beats having it going down and requiring reseating every couple weeks. I don't see an alternative other than swapping out the connectors.

#16 7 years ago

Hot glue would work, just do that to hold it on there. Stern really needs to do something about the design. A simple clip would solve the problem.

#17 7 years ago

The first game or two, I soldered the wires directly. Once I bought a few extra molex connectors, I found it faster/easier to swap out the connectors than soldering the wires directly.

Yes, Trifurcon pins pinballkyle

It was a while ago, but I bought them from Great Plains Electronics. You want the 0.156" size for both the connector and the pins. Not sure why I didn't realize this at first, but you can easily cut a larger connector to size. (Example, you have a 5 pin connector laying around, just snip off two of the slots and now you have a 3 pin connector!)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-holding-up-on-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.