Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

best-social-media-marketing-network-B2C-may-2014.png
    Facebook-Twitter.jpg
    Facebookusers.png
    fb_q4_2013_monthly.png
    likes increase2.jpg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

I just don't get it, pinball is an expensive hobby (I personally spent over 12K with Stern in the past 3 months) yet they block every comment that "seems" controversial. I see other large companies either answer, take it in stride, joke about them, or ignore them, but barely ever block them. For example, Gary just had a post about his new article in some paper, I said congratulations and then asked about Wrestlemania LE's release date or at least a time frame...........blocked. It's always like this. I see people get blocked daily on the comments for almost nothing. Their social media manager should be fired, this is unacceptable treating customers who support and pay a lot of money for their product. The company I work for (Amazon) would never treat a customer (whether they pay .86 cents or 8.6K) like this. I should know, I see the P&L statements all the time and see how much we lose on refunds or returns. The customer is always right, even when they're wrong, that's where your business comes from. Be open, honest, and humble. I usually don't get this heated but this is just old and annoying. Sorry if this bothers some of you guys. I have to battle everyday with my wife and others on why I continue on with this hobby because of the prices and I constantly stick up for everything pinball, including the companies. Don't blackball the ones who support you no matter how tough the question STERN!!!

#2 9 years ago

welcome to Uncle Gary's world

#3 9 years ago

Facebook is just controlled advertisment to them.....they are not using its networking potential.

#4 9 years ago

Kim Jong Stern says that's a Bozo no-no!!

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, you can only complement Stern on facebook or it gets deleted. Stern even banned me on their YouTube lol.

#6 9 years ago

Stern has horrible marketing. They're lucky they have so many dedicated fans without any other real choice because otherwise the company would fail pretty quick.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from FightNightFZ:

I said congratulations and then asked about Wrestlemania LE's release date or at least a time frame...........blocked.

Wow. I have read about people getting blocks asking about code release dates but never asking when a machine was being released.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

Wow. I have read about people getting blocks asking about code release dates but never asking when a machine was being released.

Especially when the guy has one on order.

OP - Cancel your LE order and send Gary an e-mail with your order number and the cancellation telling him why you just CLed the order. Only way to effectively change this behavior is for it to hit the pocket book. Hard part would be the CL if you are super excited about a pin though.

P.S. - Since you work for Amazon. Can you let us know when those lightening deals will happen on pinball machines?

#9 9 years ago

If they don't want comments, screw 'em. I go on their page just to see if there are any updates. Usually there's not, so I log off. They obviously don't want to hear from any customers...unless you're gushing about their product.

#10 9 years ago

Unfortunately they don't give a s@&t, as long as they are makin the cash. The only way to make them listen is if you hit em right in the wallet. Don't buy incomplete games.

#11 9 years ago

I have been blocked and banned from their facebook page for years now from my very first post. I tried to email them about a year later to get unblocked so I could enter their contests...no luck.

#12 9 years ago

I just don't get it, pinball is an expensive hobby (I personally spent over 12K with Stern in the past 3 months) yet they block every comment that "seems" controversial. I see other large companies either answer, take it in stride, joke about them, or ignore them, but barely ever block them. For example, Gary just had a post about his new article in some paper, I said congratulations and then asked about Wrestlemania LE's release date or at least a time frame...........blocked. It's always like this. I see people get blocked daily on the comments for almost nothing. Their social media manager should be fired, this is unacceptable treating customers who support and pay a lot of money for their product. The company I work for (Amazon) would never treat a customer (whether they pay .86 cents or 8.6K) like this. I should know, I see the P&L statements all the time and see how much we lose on refunds or returns. The customer is always right, even when they're wrong, that's where your business comes from. Be open, honest, and humble. I usually don't get this heated but this is just old and annoying. Sorry if this bothers some of you guys. I have to battle everyday with my wife and others on why I continue on with this hobby because of the prices and I constantly stick up for everything pinball, including the companies. Don't blackball the ones who support you no matter how tough the question STERN!!!

Stern facebook is an advertisement tool not a communication tool. They are not looking to spark conversation. They could care less what people think they know about the industry and what stern should or should not be doing. If you want to contact them via email or the phone go ahead. They could careless what your thoughts or comments on pinball is. That's just the way it is. If you don't like it, don't buy from them or visit their facebook page.

#13 9 years ago

I just don't get it, pinball is an expensive hobby (I personally spent over 12K with Stern in the past 3 months) yet they block every comment that "seems" controversial.

It's their page, they can do whatever they want with it. The page isn't there for you to communicate your thoughts with them, or other people looking at the page. I am always amazed people have a hard time grasping this. It's a company, they are showing off their products, not putting a place for people to rate them.
    For example, they don't want to hear aboot how someone bought a game from them knowing the code wouldn't be done forever, but now they want to bitch aboot how the code isn't done....or whatever the issue, is. Amazon is a zillion dollar business and couldn;t care less aboot returning things and losing monies...doesn't matter to them. Stern is a small private company with, to be very kind, a 42% weirdo costumer rating That's why there isn;t a review section like Amazon...apples and raisins.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Especially when the guy has one on order.
    OP - Cancel your LE order and send Gary an e-mail with your order number and the cancellation telling him why you just CLed the order. Only way to effectively change this behavior is for it to hit the pocket book. Hard part would be the CL if you are super excited about a pin though.
    P.S. - Since you work for Amazon. Can you let us know when those lightening deals will happen on pinball machines?

That wouldn't affect Sterns bottom line whatsoever. I think most people have this misunderstanding that you purchase your games from your distributor not from Stern. Given that most distributors are fighting over LE allowances, I highly doubt it would even bother your distributor if you canceled.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

welcome to Uncle Gary's world

Welcome to pinball JJP does the same

#17 9 years ago

I love stern's games, but won't ever buy NIB again, unless it's a VE game where code is complete. I'd love to have a ST or TWD, but held off after avengers and xmen coding. Once those two are complete, I'll take another look at them.

I've been emailing them about fixing the h target in avengers, Chas responded that it was forwarded to their engineering dept, never heard back. Tech support is the best part of the company.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

a 42% weirdo costumer rating

hah

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I love stern's games, but won't ever buy NIB again,

NIB doesn't mean "at release." I waited a year till MET code was "done" and got my NIB and was happy. But agreed I wouldn't buy right away...although I never would have so there's that. These code issues are nothing new.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I love stern's games, but won't ever buy NIB again, unless it's a VE game where code is complete. I'd love to have a ST or TWD, but held off after avengers and xmen coding. Once those two are complete, I'll take another look at them.
    I've been emailing them about fixing the h target in avengers, Chas responded that it was forwarded to their engineering dept, never heard back. Tech support is the best part of the company.

if your hardware works then the avengers H target works just fine and does not need different code. Perhaps you need to make the target drop more sensitive?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

a 42% weirdo costumer rating

Proud member of the 42%!

#22 9 years ago

Avengers is just a huge turd. Should have never left the factory. I think Stern should apologize to everyone who bought it.

#23 9 years ago

I banned Stern from my news feed.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

if your hardware works then the avengers H target works just fine and does not need different code. Perhaps you need to make the target drop more sensitive?

Don't want to derail this, but disagree. Same issue was fixed with code on tspp I&S targets that get dropped before ball ejects. The ball in avengers fires at the target and the target doesn't go down, it's not the sensitivity.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I banned Stern from my news feed.

Lol I love this.

#26 9 years ago

Facebook sucks anyways...

#27 9 years ago

This is what happens when old people run a company's online marketing

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

This is what happens when old people run a company's online marketing

Except they aren't old.

LTG : )™

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Except they aren't old.
    LTG : )™

How old are they?

#30 9 years ago

It's irrelevant. I'm sick of myself and others having to repeat ourselves. Facebook is not two way communication tool for most companies. This has been discussed way too much. It's facwbook and although I own plenty of stock in fb, it sucks and who cares. Please stop creating posts about the same old crap.

#31 9 years ago

Half of Stern's post are to promote small arcade barcade pin museum the hobby as a whole yet you can't post boo hoo

#32 9 years ago

I don't often comment on these threads, but I gotta agree with what others have said...
    It's their page, they can do what they want to.

You may not agree with it, but Facebook doesn't mandate that they need to be fair. Plenty of groups there that will kick you if you aren't liked or don't follow the rules or just because they want to.

If you don't like how they run their page don't contribute to it.

#33 9 years ago

Anyone know if the Stern Facebook admins are inhouse or hired out? Not trying to place blame but just wanting to understand where this could be coming from.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Anyone know if the Stern Facebook admins are inhouse or hired out? Not trying to place blame but just wanting to understand where this could be coming from.

Regardless of whether it's internal or external, they take direction from Stern.

#35 9 years ago

The better question is....why do people keep posting on their facebook?!?

I think Ghandi put it best when he said, "fool me once, shame on you...."

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Regardless of whether it's internal or external, they take direction from Stern.

If it's sourced out maybe Stern wrongfully checked the box "boot anyone that questions us."
    - said for humor

I know a lot of people who source out marketing to agencies and are clueless until a huge backlash happens. Due to the small and split opinion on this matter, maybe higher ups at Stern doesn't know. Not defending, just wondering.

#37 9 years ago

I think Stern outsources their social media stuff. Typically those companies are heavy on moderation because they don't want their client looking at their Facebook wall and seeing anything negative.

Personally I've never understood their marketing approach. They barely hype their machines at all online where most of their customers are.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

Personally I've never understood their marketing approach. They barely hype their machines at all online where most of their customers are.

They don;t need to. Everyone round these parts is 100% on the next 4 machines

#39 9 years ago

Stern does not outsource thier social media.

Again for those that have missed it in this thread a few times so far, it is a one way communication tool for them and many other companies.

Also this topic has been discussed at length, please go ahead and search and you will see other threads about this very topic, I can save you time and some reading though by concluding them for you.

Summary: Facebook is a one way communication tool for stern. They are not interested in anyway about your opinion or thoughts when it comes to them being posted on Facebook. If you have something to say call your distributor, he can pass the word along.

#40 9 years ago

- personal attack removed -

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Summary: Facebook is a one way communication tool for stern. They are not interested in anyway about your opinion or thoughts when it comes to them being posted on Facebook

It is truly a shame that Stern chooses to use it this way.
    Tons of respectable companies use it as a communication tool.
    Stern really has no dialog with their fan base and seemingly hides their head in the sand.

On the other hand Jersey Jack found out about an error in the Wizard of Oz code that would allow a huge scoring advantage to anyone who used it and had the code fixed and updated in 18 hrs.
    Kudos to JJP.
    Shame to Stern.

#42 9 years ago

Stern is the reason I cancelled my Facebook account.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stern is the reason I cancelled my Facebook account.

Stern is the reason I got a Vasectomy. They can't hurt anymore people with their banning.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

It is truly a shame that Stern chooses to use it this way.
    Tons of respectable companies use it as a communication tool.
    Stern really has no dialog with their fan base and seemingly hides their head in the sand.
    On the other hand Jersey Jack found out about an error in the Wizard of Oz code that would allow a huge scoring advantage to anyone who used it and had the code fixed and updated in 18 hrs.
    Kudos to JJP.
    Shame to Stern.

Plenty of companies utilize Facebook this way. It's not out of the norm. They truly don't want to hear our innovative awesome ideas, they pay professionals for them.

#45 9 years ago

Getting friendly customer service from any well established pinball business that survived the downswing and shakeup in the 90's is something I dream about. If it wasn't for the pinside community and a few friends who are passionate about the game, I'd assume most everyone was money hungry, greedy and very eager to capitalize on the newcomers. I often feel they could care less about those who support the hobby when it really comes down to it. I've had a few good experiences, but for the most part I think it's just business as usual and your voice doesn't really count. They know it all and we know nothing is the impression I get. Stern can do whatever they want, but I feel I get treated better buying something used from a collector or fan of the hobby rather than buying new from a vendor. To make matters worse, I feel like even making this type of comment could jeopardize my ability to communicate here.

#46 9 years ago

I just don't get it, pinball is an expensive hobby (I personally spent over 12K with Stern in the past 3 months)

Collecting pins is expensive, playing pins is pretty cheap.
    50 cents, maybe a dollar.

#47 9 years ago

People think Stern has a social media manager? Haha....

It's a small company... and it's the biggest of the small companies.

Stern marketing, social media, licensing, copyrights, trade shows and public relations are all handled by one dude...

And his name is Jody.

He is also responsible at least in part for the recent acquisition of many coveted licenses for Stern games which has led in part to an entire resurgence across the entire pinball industry.

With no Jody... there is no AC/DC, no Metallica, no Star Trek... none of that.

I think I may be the only pinside member here who manages facebook pages for a living professionally.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

People think Stern has a social media manager? Haha....
    It's a small company... and it's the biggest of the small companies.
    Stern marketing, social media, licensing, copyrights, trade shows and public relations are all handled by one dude...
    And his name is Jody.
    He is also responsible at least in part for the recent acquisition of many coveted licenses for Stern games which has led in part to an entire resurgence across the entire pinball industry.
    With no Jody... there is no AC/DC, no Metallica, no Star Trek... none of that.
    I think I may be the only pinside member here who manages facebook pages for a living professionally.

I doubt you are

#49 9 years ago

Proably right.

Thousands of members here.

#50 9 years ago

Frankly,
    More Importantly too,
    It wouldn't kill them to promote on their site where We operate Their games...

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-facebook and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.