(Topic ID: 11867)

Stern's build quality

By scooter

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_launcher_problems.jpg
    2012-05-04_16.40.50.jpg
    cheers.gif
    IMG_0629.jpg
    my_Heart_,,,,,.jpg
    lotr_013.JPG
    ALL_Right.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scooter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I played ac/dc today and it just does not feel as sturdy or as solid as my Spiderman,Is this true or is it just me?

#7 12 years ago

Not criticizing,just making a statement as I am a Stern supporter!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Scoozman you know better than that to ask such a thing here!

OK NP

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Assume you played the Pro ,

Yes it was the pro and it played great as it is a Ritchie/Lyman game,with great flow and very fast ( so sharpen your reflexes BR or the ball will drain before you know it)The bell was cool and I shot the bell with the cannon-Really cool!The theme is not for me though.Maybe the Le and premium will be sturdier as SR said no expense was spared in the bill of materials.
    I do think the Legs are not quite as sturdy as the past.

Quoted from markmon:

the components being used are the same and the quality seems good enough. The things that are important are the moving parts. The pop bumpers, switches, and electrical components seem equal or better than the WMS counterparts.

I think this is true also.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I'm the chubby redhead ... can't miss me.

I will be looking for you.

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I'am just glad there still making machines for us to play, and there American made still!

AMEN!!

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Not really sure why the american made matters?

America needs jobs,this economy is killing some of us,Just glad that Stern is an American company and I am not dissing other countries,just glad We still have some manufacturing going on here!

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

LEs always feel more solid, Tron LE feels totally noticeably more solid.

that could be it.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

No. Perhaps grammar and sentence construction help is needed. In this sentenct "Wizman" is used as an adjective qualifying the noun "thread"

I just speak American hillbilly language,sorry.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I did just read that Stern is using 5-ply wood for the pf instead of the regular 7-ply.

Surely not. My sm is 7 ply. That makes what JJP is doing with 11 ply above and beyond!! although they are probably thinner layers.

Quoted from stevebighead:

.Bye they way, have you measured a 2"x4"lately?

2 x 4 are 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" and have been for at least 35 years(before that they were bigger)the quality of lumber has gone down,because of the smaller new growth trees being used.Less than 20 years ago we were still using a lot of old growth trees.Lumber and building materials has actually gotten better with the use of engineered lumber for load bearing beams and joists.As a whole housing quality is better than ever before with the use of new tchniques,technology, new materials and better design,with a small caveat of it has to be done RIGHT!!!
    I will get off of my soap box now,Sorry for the rant!

#42 12 years ago

man I think I opened a can of worms here,That was not my intent,I think Stern does have very good quality but just not as sturdy as a few years ago,I think with the cabinets,playfeilds and legs they need to use what they used to use!I am a big Stern supporter as well as JJP and now Jpop,It is all pinball and we should support them and voice our opinion when they go wrong as well as nudge them for what we want in a pin(in a good way)

#52 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

The JJP playfield (widebody) is 9 plies, not 11

Its the cabinet that Jack said would be 11 ply plywood.

#55 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Apparently the pf of WOZ will also be 11-ply plywood, as mentioned earlier.

That is going to be a high quality box and playfield!

1 month later
    #68 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

I'll think that I just played 2 pinball machines.

2 good pinball machines

1 week later
    #95 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Mexican's were Pay-n me under the Table a few Yr's ago to do some Tile work in La Quinta .. []

A Mexican Restaurant in Clemmon's , NC ... Got some Tequilla to go too.......

Thats great BR,I got a good chuckle out of that!

I still love Stern and with a little nudging(not enough to tilt) they should be persuaded to bring back up the QC!! They did get SR,Gomez and Lyman back and Borg seems to be coming into his own!

#97 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Lyman never left.

I don't think He was working full time for a while.

3 weeks later
    #169 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The stern Sam sound chipset is far superior to anything midway produced. My ironman, Transformers, or tron with pro sub absolutely blows away any of the Williams games I have -

Agreed.My SM has way better sound than my STTNG and they both have the same speaker upgrades.

#171 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

This thread was an attempt to bag on AC/DC and it failed !

Not at all. I was asking a question as to whether The new Sterns were as solid as 2007 SM.This is not a crack on Stern as I love their pins,at the same time I do not want to see build quality decrease...
    From what many have said that the LE'S are the same and the pro's are slightly less and maybe the legs are more springy.
    Again I am a strong Stern supporter and I want them to build quality and Jim with your reputation I am sure you do too!
    Sorry for the rant and all is cool.

2 months later
    #227 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

I feel when SM was out, we got more for our Buck.

RIGHTOH!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scooter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-build-quality?tu=scooter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.