(Topic ID: 11867)

Stern's build quality

By scooter

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_launcher_problems.jpg
    2012-05-04_16.40.50.jpg
    cheers.gif
    IMG_0629.jpg
    my_Heart_,,,,,.jpg
    lotr_013.JPG
    ALL_Right.gif
    There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 12 years ago

I played ac/dc today and it just does not feel as sturdy or as solid as my Spiderman,Is this true or is it just me?

#2 12 years ago

I'm gonna go with...just you.

#3 12 years ago

Here we go...

#4 12 years ago

Cannot remember when they made the change, but yes they did cheapen things.

#5 12 years ago

Wizman thread returns!

#6 12 years ago

My buddy has a tron le and its a great game but it is on the light side and very easy to nudge it around.

#7 12 years ago

Not criticizing,just making a statement as I am a Stern supporter!

#8 12 years ago

Recent STterns (Avatar, Tron, BBH, TF) have felt light and 'plasticy' to me as well. SM does seem more substantial/solid in feel.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Wizman thread returns!

Seriously...
    Scoozman you know better than that to ask such a thing here!

Just teasing ya' Scoot!
    We are just weary of these types of threads, no harm no foul.
    Play through...

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Scoozman you know better than that to ask such a thing here!

OK NP

#11 12 years ago

Not sure why anyone would bash him for making an observation. Call me a stern hatter if you want but they are not built as well as past BWS pins or even earlier Stern models. They have made some really good games lately but build quality still suffers a bit.

#12 12 years ago

I was in on a conversation with some other collectors recently, and one of them thought that starting around Iron Man, the legs seem thinner. I dunno, but maybe time to dust off the micrometer..... Seems to make sense to me. Come top think of it, compared to Bally/Willams legs, they are lighter!
    Tully

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Wizman thread returns!

The guy has an opinion and asks for response and you label him wizman. Life always has a wizman and someone that can do nothing but mccartheyism and brand someone wizman. Right on dude, keep pointing thAt finger.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

rommy said:Wizman thread returns!
    The guy has an opinion and asks for response and you label him wizman. Life always has a wizman and someone that can do nothing but mccartheyism and brand someone wizman. Right on dude, keep pointing thAt finger.

"Hater"

#15 12 years ago

I played ac/dc today and it just does not feel as sturdy or as solid as my spiderman,Is this true or is it just me?

I Assume you played the Pro , Maybe the Premium & LE Will be Different. I Hope.. To be Honest , I've Owned several Stern Pin's , As you see, I Don't Have them any more.. Making AC/DC Prem- my 1st NIB Pin was Mainly Due too the Group. If the Prem- Suffer's the Lack of shot's and my Interest , I'll send it Out like the Rest .. But I'm Gonna give it a dam Good Chance to hang-out..
    It Kinda sound's Like BSD , Stack-n Multi-ball's and etc,, If so , that's rite up my Alley .. B_R ALL_Right.gifALL_Right.gif

The TSPP that i bought a month ago and had to carry down stair's felt like it weighed a Ton..

#16 12 years ago

i too have noticed this. there is an avatar on location near me and it feels lighter than older sterns when i nudge it. i still enjoy playing it though.

#17 12 years ago

If it were any other recent Stern pin Scooter I'd totally agree with you.. but Steve really pushed to bring build quality back to the table on AC/DC and it shows, IMO.

... except for the legs. As others have mentioned, these things feel like they're propped up on tooth picks (nothing a good set of WMS legs can't solve)

#18 12 years ago

Actually, the holes won't line up on the WMS legs so the machine wouldn't be the right height.

I had a 24 here the other day. Wasn't that built in 2009 after spiderman? It felt very stout, had the standard playfield support. Overall quality of the machine seems good. Where they are cutting costs are in things like the cheaper quality toys. My tron pro and iron man were both slightly lighter. They had the black pegs rather than the rail supports for the playfield. Also, when installing the shaker, the cabinet bottom seems to not be made of wood. Other than that, the components being used are the same and the quality seems good enough. The things that are important are the moving parts. The pop bumpers, switches, and electrical components seem equal or better than the WMS counterparts. I like stern flippers quite a lot. The sound system in the sterns blows away the WMS. The WMS are a bit easier to work on.

#19 12 years ago

I can't speak for AC/DC but I got Scoots back on this topic.

NOW, the first beers on you next week. I'm the chubby redhead ... can't miss me.

#20 12 years ago

You can say the same about vehicles today! They sure dont make them like they use too! Sign of the times! I'am just glad there still making machines for us to play, and there American made still!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Assume you played the Pro ,

Yes it was the pro and it played great as it is a Ritchie/Lyman game,with great flow and very fast ( so sharpen your reflexes BR or the ball will drain before you know it)The bell was cool and I shot the bell with the cannon-Really cool!The theme is not for me though.Maybe the Le and premium will be sturdier as SR said no expense was spared in the bill of materials.
    I do think the Legs are not quite as sturdy as the past.

Quoted from markmon:

the components being used are the same and the quality seems good enough. The things that are important are the moving parts. The pop bumpers, switches, and electrical components seem equal or better than the WMS counterparts.

I think this is true also.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I'm the chubby redhead ... can't miss me.

I will be looking for you.

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I'am just glad there still making machines for us to play, and there American made still!

AMEN!!

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I'am just glad there still making machines for us to play, and there American made still!

Not really sure why the american made matters? I've got the stickers on my nascar still, but stern has cut a lot of corners on the new ones. They feel worse than early segas and this is coming from someone who has 3 sterns and a DE. I also refuse to buy a nib stern because they have a horribly history of never finishing the code. They have made some great games in the past which is why I haven't felt the need to own a b/w title in awhile, but the stuff they are putting out now is just not worth it for me.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Not really sure why the american made matters?

America needs jobs,this economy is killing some of us,Just glad that Stern is an American company and I am not dissing other countries,just glad We still have some manufacturing going on here!

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

The guy has an opinion and asks for response and you label him wizman

No. Perhaps grammar and sentence construction help is needed. In this sentenct "Wizman" is used as an adjective qualifying the noun "thread". No comment about the OP is included in the sentence. Perhaps if you had been following the latest activity on pinside you would understand how that comment is both timely and relevant.

#26 12 years ago

LEs always feel more solid, Tron LE feels totally noticeably more solid.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

LEs always feel more solid, Tron LE feels totally noticeably more solid.

that could be it.

#28 12 years ago

P.S... Rolling Stones (ugh) LE (double Ugh) is quite a bit more solid that pro one.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

No. Perhaps grammar and sentence construction help is needed. In this sentenct "Wizman" is used as an adjective qualifying the noun "thread"

I just speak American hillbilly language,sorry.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

wow.

#31 12 years ago

Can we not immortalize wizman please, the guy is not worth becoming any legend of any kind here

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Can we not immortalize wizman please, the guy is not worth becoming any legend of any kind here []

too late, that train has already left the station.

tron le does not feel cheap to me. In fact, the first thing i noticed about the one i played was that it felt exactly like a b/w. It wasn't just that it was new either, as i've played a SM with probably the same amount of plays (guessing by condition) and there is a significant difference in feel between those two.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

dung said:

America needs jobs,this economy is killing some of us,Just glad that Stern is an American company and I am not dissing other countries,just glad We still have some manufacturing going on here!

America does need jobs, but I don't reward companies that crap on their customers and stern has a nasty habit of doing that. The only reason they are in business is that they are the only game in town until JJP steps up. I hope he knocks it out of the park and forces stern to either change their tune or go under.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

do nothing but mccartheyism

#35 12 years ago

Wizman was a POS.

Referring to the OP as a POS is pretty unfair IMO.

#36 12 years ago

When sterns go from 5 ply down to 2 ply playfields i will save some cash and just buy toilet paper instead.

#37 12 years ago

I guess I don't get it. I have owned both and when I had all Bally/Williams, there wasn't a week that went by without something going wrong with one of them. I am yet to have to fix ANYTHING on a Stern. maybe they feel different but they must be doing something right. Thank you Stern,keep those games comin....Bye they way, have you measured a 2"x4"lately?They are no where close to what they were 20 years ago, it's not just Stern my friends....

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

When sterns go from 5 ply down to 2 ply playfields i will save some cash and just buy toilet paper instead.

I did just read that Stern is using 5-ply wood for the pf instead of the regular 7-ply. Can anyone with an AC/DC or recent Stern verify? (Lift the pf and count the layers on the edge, and on the cab sides from below the game.) Is 5-ply also being used for the cabinet? If so, this would account for the cheaper/lighter feel of recent Sterns. And it is also LAME!

#39 12 years ago

Well, after playing my widebody pins, I have trouble playing on new sterns. I damn near toss those things into the walls. Just by using the flippers!

New sterns are made for Nancy Boys, with more tender tendencies.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I did just read that Stern is using 5-ply wood for the pf instead of the regular 7-ply.

Surely not. My sm is 7 ply. That makes what JJP is doing with 11 ply above and beyond!! although they are probably thinner layers.

Quoted from stevebighead:

.Bye they way, have you measured a 2"x4"lately?

2 x 4 are 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" and have been for at least 35 years(before that they were bigger)the quality of lumber has gone down,because of the smaller new growth trees being used.Less than 20 years ago we were still using a lot of old growth trees.Lumber and building materials has actually gotten better with the use of engineered lumber for load bearing beams and joists.As a whole housing quality is better than ever before with the use of new tchniques,technology, new materials and better design,with a small caveat of it has to be done RIGHT!!!
    I will get off of my soap box now,Sorry for the rant!

#41 12 years ago

I just got my first Stern (2004 tspp) and its way more solid than my buddies tron le. You actually have to use a bit of effort to nudge. But on his tron even a little kid could nudge it...

#42 12 years ago

man I think I opened a can of worms here,That was not my intent,I think Stern does have very good quality but just not as sturdy as a few years ago,I think with the cabinets,playfeilds and legs they need to use what they used to use!I am a big Stern supporter as well as JJP and now Jpop,It is all pinball and we should support them and voice our opinion when they go wrong as well as nudge them for what we want in a pin(in a good way)

#43 12 years ago

It think some of the "light feel" of the newer Sterns has a lot to do with the thinner gauge steel in the legs. They certainly twist more that my WPC legs contributing to an easier to nudge feeling. My games are on carpet, so I can't move them around by nudging aggressively.

That said my WPC legs look like a thinner gauge steel than my older Bally legs, so I guess this type of cost cutting has been going on for a longer time than we think. This is most likely the reason, starting around the System 11 days, they started putting ribs on all their legs to increase stability..

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

they started putting ribs on all their legs to increase stability..

And, of course, for her pleasure

#45 12 years ago

in sterns defence, i have zero problems with things breaking or getting errors. not a stern hater but want a machine to be built solid for the money asked.

who doesn't want value?

woz @ $6500 will be value with the build quality now known.

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

And, of course, for her pleasure

Indeed

#47 12 years ago

During the ACDC release in Pittsburgh one of the lightning bolts worked its way off. Other than that both ACDC machines got played a ton and there weren't any issues. I would have to say the ACDC machine feels pretty solid.

#48 12 years ago

Pins are no different than anything else on the market, car body metal got thinner, most appliances are now made of plastic, hell even candy bars have gotten smaller not to mention all of them got more expensive, just like pins! The days of the heavy Gottliebs and Williams bodies are long gone, quantity not quality now rains supreme.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

StevenP said:I did just read that Stern is using 5-ply wood for the pf instead of the regular 7-ply.

Surely not. My sm is 7 ply. That makes what JJP is doing with 11 ply above and beyond!! although they are probably thinner layers.
    stevebighead said:.Bye they way, have you measured a 2"x4"lately?

SM is an 'older' Stern. I was referring to more recent Sterns, manufactured over the past 2-3 years. The JJP playfield (widebody) is 9 plies, not 11. And "2-by-4's" have been smaller than 2"x4" for a VERY long time! The 2"x4" refers to the nominal (green) dimensions, not the final board size. It's been that way since before either of us was born.

#50 12 years ago

The Stern's I've played recently, I.E. (FG, LOTR) seemed to be built of decent quality. I did recently purchase a TFTC and you can definitely tell a difference in quality with the older pins. Even my wife said to me the other day " this game is fun, but doesn't feel as solid as our other pins". So even a rookie can tell when it comes down to it. Even with the less than "solid" feel, still a kickass pin.

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-build-quality and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.