(Topic ID: 10010)

Stern's 2012 Pin Releases - What's After AC/DC?

By taz

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lock_stock_and_two_smoking_barrels[1]..jpg
    minorityreport.jpg
    halloween-wallpaper-marvel-zombies-sec.jpg
    avengersassemble_800.jpg
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 12 years ago

I've read the forums and seen rumors about X-Men or Avengers, possibly. Anyone have any leads, not only on the next pin but say, the next three. Just for those of us who need to save up somewhere between $6K and $10K to afford one if we like it.

#2 12 years ago

whatever they make I hope it drops Tron prices

#3 12 years ago

no price going down for sure as they appear to be selling big numbers at big prices

#4 12 years ago

Rumor has it that X-men has replaced Avengers as the next pin. Too bad as Avengers has better characters, and the movie will be blockbuster-

Wolverine is most popular X-men, but he is now in the Avengers books. (Won't be in the movie and I'm sure that it is a licensed theme based on the movies. )

Avengers = Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor as its major characters. Parts are more popular than the whole as most people are not familiar with the group, but most know the characters.

Avengers crossover in the movies have been going on the last couple years.

#5 12 years ago

X-Men is literally 100 times more popular in the comic world. It is hands down the better story, and I could not disagree more with your assessment of the characters and their popularity. X-Men is the premier Marvel book, and has been, consistently, for 30 years. Avengers is an also ran, at best. Thor is lame. Iron Man is a B character. Captain America has limited appeal and sales. Hulk isn't really an Avenger.

An X-Men pin will vastly outsell an Avengers machine. I would bet my TZ on it.

#6 12 years ago

I've heard X-men, Avengers or Men In Black as well. BUT nothing locked in. Very confident it's a action, hero type license.

I do hear tell they secured the Star Trek license. But no time frame on release. Maybe Christmas ? Problem is the new movie isn't until May 17, 2013. Would be a great revisit to the "King".

Stern has hired a new veteran designer that seems to be under the radar. George mentioned this at expo

#7 12 years ago

Hopefully, it's comic book based (not movie). These movie theme pins, but really look dated to me.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

X-Men is literally 100 times more popular in the comic world. It is hands down the better story, and I could not disagree more with your assessment of the characters and their popularity. X-Men is the premier Marvel book, and has been, consistently, for 30 years. Avengers is an also ran, at best. Thor is lame. Iron Man is a B character. Captain America has limited appeal and sales. Hulk isn't really an Avenger.

I have to agree with this. I would love for a balls out Stan Lee-Jack Kirby-Steve Ditko style art classic pin. Simply put....Marvel Universe Pin.
    X-Men is by far and away more popular than Avengers I feel.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

X-Men is by far and away more popular than Avengers I feel.

No doubt. If it weren't for the movie coming out next year there would be very few people outside the comic book community that would know about The Avengers.

I'd much rather have an X-Men pin than Avengers any day of the week. Although if it is going to cost $7K I'm gonna have to pass...

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

I do hear tell they secured the Star Trek license. But no time frame on release. Maybe Christmas ? Problem is the new movie isn't until May 17, 2013. Would be a great revisit to the "King".

Stern has hired a new veteran designer that seems to be under the radar. George mentioned this at expo []

Steve Ritchie and Star Trek in 2013,most likely with a new operating system and hopefully an LCD display-I'm in!!

New veteren designer,could it be Gomez's old buddy Pat?

#11 12 years ago

Avengers could be cool and a dream theme would be Marvel Zombies

avengersassemble_800.jpgavengersassemble_800.jpg halloween-wallpaper-marvel-zombies-sec.jpghalloween-wallpaper-marvel-zombies-sec.jpg

#12 12 years ago

$7K stern machine is passsssssssssssssss...

#13 12 years ago

wtf i will now have nightmares

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Going to have agree to disagree on this. Ironically, your avatar Taskmaster is an Avengers villain. For the last 5 years, Avengers books have outsold X-men books. The X-men peaked in the 90's.

Count how many Avenger books there are now/today: New Avengers, Ultimates, Mighty Avengers, Secret Avengers + solo issues. They way over sell anything the X-men put out today. Been that way since the Civil War saga 5 years ago.

Hulk IS an original Avenger. He left after issue #2, but is currently on their roster. He comes and goes.

#15 12 years ago

Let me settle this - they should build both pins. Let Stern do Xmen and JJP do Avengers and may the better pinball company prevail.

Avengers with the new movie coming out likely would outsell XMen - even with that new movie coming out. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor movies and all the build up in cross-over for this new movie - it will be a blockbuster for sure. Main stream will recognize the pin and drop a quarter or look to buy for family. Come on Robert Downey Jr reprising Iron Man again how can they go wrong. Xmen is still very popular as well, but Avengers will easily be bigger box office hit over Xmen Orgins 2.

Being a comic book geek - both books pale in comparison to the Guy Gardner years of the JLA. Loved those stories. Flame suit on. Wait that is a Fantastic four reference.

#16 12 years ago

boy sure would like to see a great star trek exceeding sttng

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

boy sure would like to see a great Star Trek exceeding sttng

posted in another thread

#18 12 years ago

Also heard Star Trek. Maybe Muppets? And maybe another music pin......

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

boy sure would like to see a great Star Trek exceeding sttng

Impossible.... STTNG was one of the greatest pins ever made...

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Impossible.... STTNG was one of the greatest pins ever made...

Agreed. Leave a good thing alone.

#21 12 years ago

if it is xmen after acdc, will it be based on the newer iterations of the movie franchise, xmen origins or the older more known established xmen films with the big name faces. Not sure what I would prefer I think origins is best xmen film yet but for sheer ideas for a pin relating to characters I think the older films have more potential.

#22 12 years ago

Well if it’s Muppets, there will be another pin I don’t have to concern myself over scraping funds up for. I for one would like to see an original theme for once. How long has it been?

#23 12 years ago

I wish they would move away from the superhero themes. Original, unlicensed theme would be my preference, but I think I'm in the minority on that idea.

#24 12 years ago

I hope it is Avengers, but would also be pretty excited for X-Men. Avengers makes more sense with how popular the build-up movies have been and timing with the main movie would be good. But, one of the Avengers, arguably the most popular one, already got his own machine, so I guess I can see going X-Men instead. X-Men has tons of good possibilities...the things that could be done for Magneto are endless. I'd love to see a Whirlwind spinner (or even TAF "power" type deal) make a comeback for Storm. So many possibilities all around.

I'm glad to hear Star Trek could still be in play. That could get me in trouble...

Also I haven't even heard a rumor on this one yet, but I gotta say with the 3D versions coming to theaters, the time would be right to finally make the awesome Star Wars game that the world deserves...

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I wish they would move away from the superhero themes. Original, unlicensed theme would be my preference, but I think I'm in the minority on that idea.

Nah we all agree, Stern are the ones that dont. JJ do though so cant wait for their second pin

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

r there would be very few people outside the comic book community that would know about The Avengers.

I'd be in this demographic. I know who the x-men are, though.

My vote is for MIB!

#27 12 years ago

I like both X-men and Avengers but I all ready have 4 Stern movie based pins. I understand why they do licensed themes, makes a lot of business sense but wish they would break out of the music and movie themes rut; though Transformers was not based strictly on the movies. I wonder if BBH was a flop for them sales wise so they are sticking with movies and music.

How about World of Warcraft, Legos, Halo, Army Men, Clue, Resident Evil (video game), Magic The Gathering, Area 51......ANYTHING but another movie or rock pin.

#28 12 years ago

I really hope it's Avengers or X-men, but I lean more towards Avengers it would be stupid for Stern not to tie in the release with the movie. The movie is going to be huge this summer! just no actors faces on the game please, do it justice like IM or Judge Dredd comic style! Although I do hate the IM slings with the actors.

#29 12 years ago

Led Zeppelin for 2013.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Led Zeppelin for 2013.

This has been a rumor for sure............a ramp featuring stairway to heaven!

I keep hoping for Pink Floyd but no rumors at all on this.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

mnpinball said:Led Zeppelin for 2013.
    This has been a rumor for sure............a ramp featuring stairway to heaven!
    I keep hoping for Pink Floyd but no rumors at all on this.

Not rumor. Fact (about the license). I am just hoping and speculating they revisit this title again for future release since AC/DC was done.

Borg spent considerable time on this a few years ago and it was shelved because of John Bonham's wife. It's tricky getting the license people together on Zep because evidently they (the living band mates) only meet a few times a year I was told. No one had any problems or issues except Mrs. Bonham I was told.

#32 12 years ago

The next will be Avengers just in time for the movie release. It makes no sense right now to do a Xmen until the next movie comes out

#33 12 years ago

I would like to see a James Bond pin that has the feature of choosing the Bond of your choice before you start the game like in DW. Perfect timing with Skyfall coming out in the fall.

#34 12 years ago

So are movie hero themes so hot that Stern only does machines based on that? Where is their sense of adventure? Well JJ, find a need and fill it.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I would like to see a James Bond pin that has the feature of choosing the Bond of your choice before you start the game like in DW. Perfect timing with Skyfall coming out in the fall.

Great theme, Mission Impossible too.....

What's next? Exactly.......after WOZ, all I'm interested in right now is what JJP has next.....

Or put SM back in production Stern.....

#36 12 years ago

i would love a led zepplin pin @ 9000$ for the super duper ultra le , a bargain and includes enhanced sound in super mono

2013 will hopefully bring an original theme pin from jjp, that would really interest me.

as far as the next stern...i could care less. more of the same super hero/movie themes gets a bit old for me.

the only new thing is the pricing, sadly.

#37 12 years ago

i am not a stern hater mnpinball, but am not impressed with where stern is going lately. some of my favorite games are sterns from the past btw

#38 12 years ago

I think the superhero themes are very successful for Stern. We all seem very positive in our feedback about SM and IM, and if you've played TDK with the latest s/w you've probably been pleased with it too. I'm okay with a superhero pin every couple of years as long as they're doing a good job on them. I don't think the historical problem has been superhero pins, it's been the others surrounding them. That seems to have changed lately with Tron/TF/AC-DC. I like the trend in themes so I'm staying positive for now. Avengers or X-Men would probably be a home run theme in my book as long as they put some action into it and a third flipper. Another Star Trek wouldn't be a bad idea either. Muppets....well, meh. It's not like we've got Gottlieb, Sega, Williams, and Capcom churning them out in competition anymore.

#39 12 years ago

I want something out of left field...
    I want a 'Sherlock Holmes' pin!!! I think Gomez could make this baby fun! Hopefully they can include that "Discombobulate" song as well. The LE could have weathered antique trim with matching legs.

#40 12 years ago

Great theme, Mission Impossible too.....

Holy winsauce!!! This would be an awesome theme. Can't go wrong with a Tom Cruise pin. Ideally they would make this into a pin though...

minorityreport.jpgminorityreport.jpg

This will never happen, but if it did I would buy it in a heartbeat!

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I want something out of left field...
    I want a 'Sherlock Holmes' pin!!! I think Gomez could make this baby fun!

I honestly think Stern should have halted AC/DC and make a Sherlock Holmes pin. The good news is a third Sherlock movie is being planned out.

#42 12 years ago

would be interested in a avengers or xmen as my first stern pin, but would really rather see jjp do a comic book theme,,, heard rumors next jjp would be either another elvira or kiss, any other rumors, starting to regret not taking a chznce on woz

#43 12 years ago

I don't think Avengers nor X-Men have any appeal in Europe.

A beneficial license for a pinball machine, which isn't another damn Hollywood big budget movie og TV show, could, as far as I see, be an international big brand computer/console/internet game. All popular sports titles, Angry birds, Medal of honor, Farmville, GTA, ...

I would love to see another football themed game. Based on the upcomming eurocup (national teams) or the annual FIFA titles for the consoles (club teams). This, however, wouldn't have much appeal in the US.

#44 12 years ago

I think 2012-2013 will be a great period for pinball, though we can snipe all we want about the themes. I've been pleased with the last few themes, so as long as they stay on that glide path we should be okay. Lots of people are screaming zombies so a Resident Evil pin might do well for Stern if that is indeed the "alice" they've teased about. I'd probably be disappointed with Muppets and meh on MIB. Avengers or X-Men would appeal to me though. The country is war weary, so those military themes that are put forth from video games so often probably wouldn't hit right now.

3 months later
    #46 11 years ago

I don't know what the next pin will be but I would love to see more RNR themes. Game of Thrones and Walking Dead would be great too. I don't know which company made it but the hardest pin I ever played was Wheel of Fortune. Price is Right would be cool too! Come on who doesn't want to play Plinko on a pin?!?!?!?!

Amelia
    Baltimore

#47 11 years ago

I think right now in the current market Avengers would out sell X-Men. X-men has been sold to death IMO. Avengers is new and current. Im a big X-Men fan myself but I can see stern doing a big wolverine head in the middle of the machine (like ac/dc) with his claws and thats just boring for me. I would much rather have a MIB pin over x-men if they went that route.

#48 11 years ago

Led Zep would make me not care about a single pin on my wish list!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Led Zep would make me not care about a single pin on my wish list!

Led Zep may happen but not got total agreement from band so no go at the moment.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Amelia98:

Amelia
    Baltimore

Welcome to pinside Amelia !

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-2012-pin-releases-whats-after-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.