IMG_2459 (resized).PNG
79564B04-9FCB-449B-A9CC-9ACC856AF7D4 (resized).jpeg
DBF6BA2D-D6FE-40A4-A5AB-1000BF0BD5CC (resized).jpeg
9E2F785C-7598-4B6C-AB31-62CA20385BFD (resized).png
IMG_0196.jpg
8798B930-E817-4016-98BD-943818A859ED (resized).jpeg
483BF004-36B4-4DE9-BCFF-F735CEC982C8 (resized).png
2EED3AC3-A4C2-4554-B44C-B657A34EBCD3 (resized).png
There are 705 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
#201 6 years ago

Supreme reminds me of Members Only back in the day but on 15 different steroids along with a psychedelic.

#202 6 years ago

What a supreme waste of time. I will laugh when I see one routed or on location.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Lol. You impress others with some hard earned skills, not your wallet. Big difference.

Most people I know who have a big wallet filled it by applying their hard earned skills.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

I'm only stuck in this thread because I literally came in here to celebrate and found mostly negative things.

I never heard of Supreme before but I'm not surprised it can cause a polarizing response. You're telling me it's all love and rainbows for the brand outside of Pinside?

#205 6 years ago

I'd never heard of Supreme before. It's better for pinball that Supreme fans buy an overpriced pin than overpriced clothes.

It's good for Stern. It's good exposure for pinball and could bring in more players and people buying games. It's good news overall for the hobby I think.

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It's good for Stern.

I think this is an amazing success for Stern, for all the reasons given so far in this thread. We can probably expect more outside the box deals like this, by whomever at Stern put it together.

But I also agree just because it's good for Stern the company doesn't mean the hobbyists here have to eat it up as well. The support for Stern the company ends at them making products we want. We're aligned so far as they make things we enjoy. When that isn't aligned, then for sure the negative feedback comes, and should be expected, really.

#207 6 years ago

Gary's final cash grab before retirement?

#208 6 years ago

Just realized something.

Is there ANY difference to this deal at all than the Pabst Blue Ribbon deal? That seems to be the exact same deal. Reskin an existing property for a corporate buyer.

Only this time the brand is super hot and polarizing.

#209 6 years ago

Jackpot for Stern, this will be like selling water in the desert. Can't stand the Supreme brand & what they do but these will turn a fast profit on surplus machines that had limited market appeal in their previous form. It always amazes me how little reach pinball has so this is certainly a win for everyone involved. They should do a super LE edition and charge $15k and make everyone plead their case just to buy one, oh wait

#210 6 years ago

I'm blown away about how much exposure the sport of kayaking is getting today thanks to Supreme!

I bet we see Prime Time television airing kayak races by Summer?

kayak (resized).jpgkayak (resized).jpg

catcher (resized).jpgcatcher (resized).jpg

and_my_axe (resized).jpgand_my_axe (resized).jpg

tennis_anyone (resized).jpgtennis_anyone (resized).jpg

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This should be a red flag. When I agree with this guy?

Better to be an out of touch "old white guy" at 36 than to be a broke ass millennial overpaying for everything for the manufactured 'prestige' of it. Thank you!

At least that game has actual art, sound, and rules. At least that game wasn't a recycled layout.
Come on Jack.... we know 'doing your thing' relies heavily on Stern at this point, but you don't have to step up to bat for them on something as ludicrous as this. They're going to make money, yay! That will allow them to keep developing real games, YAY! Claiming this will bring in any functional number of positive contributors to pinball at large? LOL. Like you guys say.. 'it's not for us'....and 'us' is people that regularly want to buy games, that will be buying games without marketing stunts like this, and that support the aftermarket. People buying a Supreme pin mostly aren't going to do that. They are the epitome of short attention spans. They're going to stick the thing in a corner, turn it on 5 times ever, and flop out their "oh look at me" of the week, and then move on to buying a Supreme branded 800 dollar thermos the week after.

This post is as spot on as when you were telling us the Supreme pinball video had 113 views.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from Normscoffee:

I assume you boycott and chastise people who either make or purchase LE games then, is that correct? Or is some exclusivity "via fake limited availability" acceptable as long as you enjoy the product?

I have been known to give them crap, yes. I don't agree with the LE model at all, and I've never purchased one firsthand. The only LE pin I've ever owned was a X-Men Magneto that I got a really good deal on, paid beween a pro and premium price for, and sold 2 months later. I really wanted Tron LE right when I was getting into all of this, and decided the extra money and overtime I'd need to have worked to pay for it was just stupid. Granted, at the time, I had no idea how speculative the pinball market was, but if I had bought a Tron LE, it would've been stapled to my arse.

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

You're telling me it's all love and rainbows for the brand outside of Pinside?

No way, man. I was hanging out on Brickside when the brick was released. Talk about old white guys club. You should have seen the meltdown over there. It was pretty much the same though, bunch of guys saying it was great for the brick scene that they were getting exposure, and the more people getting into bricks the better etc, etc. Other guys bemoaning it was really just a re-themed sandstock.
The real argument was over the frog though. Yes, frog, look it up. With a really heated thread about how it was just a Supreme frog and not even a Supreme brick. Hilarious. Oh, Brickside.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This post is as spot on as when you were telling us the Supreme pinball video had 113 views.

Why, because I can't be arsed to break company policy for you dinks? I couldn't access the other one to check the views on it. I posted what I had access to, which was the one I linked. Duh.

I like how you rebutted absolutely nothing I said in what you quoted. Appreciate your support.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think this is an amazing success for Stern, for all the reasons given so far in this thread. We can probably expect more outside the box deals like this, by whomever at Stern put it together.

But I also agree just because it's good for Stern the company doesn't mean the hobbyists here have to eat it up as well. The support for Stern the company ends at them making products we want. We're aligned so far as they make things we enjoy. When that isn't aligned, then for sure the negative feedback comes, and should be expected, really.

I don't think it's as all or nothing as that. If Stern sees an opportunity to make money in a new/untapped way, I'm cool with that. It's not like they are going to stop making their normal line of pins. I'm not going to give them negative feedback for taking advantage of business opportunity like this and helping spread the hobby.

If they dedicated 100% of their company to stuff like this, then that would be different. I'll give them crap when code doesn't get done, or things like the Batman 66 pricing (because that was a product for "us"), QC issues, etc...but I don't have a problem supporting them with this.

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

And why does it have one of the old red led displays? Didn't stern cross over to lcd displays like JJP?

I think what happened here is Supreme called up Stern and said they wanted a pinball machine.

Stern had a meeting and Gary said, "hey guys what parts do we have left over in inventory that we need to get rid of?"

Someone mentioned they have a lot of Spiderman home edition parts left over and they really need to go.

Gary jumps up and exclaims "PERFECT!, get me a graphic design intern and have him whip up a mockup with these Supreme logos they sent over. Don't put too much time into it."

Gary got in his car and started laughing all the way to bank.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

I'm blown away about how much exposure the sport of kayaking is getting today thanks to Supreme!
I bet we see Prime Time television airing kayak races by Summer?

Maybe this is just a joke post but at least people know kayaks, axes, tennis balls are still being made. Can't say the same about pinball. Showing a million new people a video that pinball is a thing, maybe fun, & still in production is a plus.

#218 6 years ago

So it does have a coin door, couldn't tell from the video they posted.

8FOXoRPOSmM2 (resized).jpg8FOXoRPOSmM2 (resized).jpg

#219 6 years ago

I think what's also bugging a lot about folks here, besides the brand and demographic, is that while 1.5 million views for a pinball product sounds amazing, this is going to be the first exposure to pinball for at least 90 percent of those, and the takeaway impressions of what they perceive pinball to be like, or should be, is... not encouraging.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I'm not crazy psyched, but I want one, only if it was priced within the normal Stern pro range. I'd want to throw it on location for 4-8 months too, but an all white cab in a dive bar?

no worries, you can sell it for more once it has a patina.

#221 6 years ago

As some of you have stated. This Supreme stuff is flipped for profit.

Certainly these NIB games will be flipped as well? It is a rather large item for some one to purchase, haul around, just to resell it. We will have to wait and see how many are made, 100 units? Possibly 300 units? Not likely more than 1000 units. Only in a few years will Pinsiders see them for sale at a more realistic price if production is high. What percentage of the pins will be left in the box? How many will be set up, only to be played very little, as new owners fear any wear on their New Supreme item? In 10 years there will be a high percentage of these pins, in pristine condition, sitting in apartment/loft, not in the basement or garage.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

Maybe this is just a joke post but at least people know kayaks, axes, tennis balls are still being made. Can't say the same about pinball. Showing a million new people a video that pinball is a thing, maybe fun, & still in production is a plus.

I wonder what the ultimate effects of pinball becoming more popular will be. Do you think it will lead to lower prices, better quality, as additional players enter the market? It seems as of late used pinball prices have risen and sterns prices have risen with additional pinball popularity. For me the biggest benefit would be more arcade bars, with a lot more selection. I can find a ghostbusters machine anywhere, but the only JJP in the state is a single WOZ.

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is there ANY difference to this deal at all than the Pabst Blue Ribbon deal? That seems to be the exact same deal.

I know what you're saying, but a Supreme consumer is much different from a Pabst consumer. I know this is stereotypical on my part, but based on experience, I'd rather hang out and play pinball with the latter.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The ultimate in irony: a community who claims to love Pinball is somehow upset about a new pinball machine.

Funny, I remember saying the same thing about flippers!

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I know what you're saying, but a Supreme consumer is much different from a Pabst consumer. I know this is stereotypical on my part, but based on experience, I'd rather hang out and play pinball with the latter.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. PBR game actually has original, detailed art on it. This one doesn't. Comparing the two, at least in that deparment, is an extreme disservice to Dirty Donny..

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

PBR game actually has original, detailed art on it.

The PBR Can Crusher is beautiful IMO, thanks to DD's art. I would love to have one someday just to look at (and play, lol).

#227 6 years ago

So does anyone think these will actually sell? $100 bricks are different than $4k or whatever. KISS Army never translated over to sales so I don’t know if any brand will. Millions of instagram views notwithstanding.

#228 6 years ago

Pbr is a great looking game. I have played this home SM at its actually an ok layout for 2500 imo. If pbr had been on this layout I could see owning one.
Seems supreme is trying to be the "polo" of modern day branding wise. Is Damon Johns behind this ? Branding guru that he is made me wonder and he is in with vp pinball.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No way, man. I was hanging out on Brickside when the brick was released. Talk about old white guys club. You should have seen the meltdown over there. It was pretty much the same though, bunch of guys saying it was great for the brick scene that they were getting exposure, and the more people getting into bricks the better etc, etc. Other guys bemoaning it was really just a re-themed sandstock.
The real argument was over the frog though. Yes, frog, look it up. With a really heated thread about how it was just a Supreme frog and not even a Supreme brick. Hilarious. Oh, Brickside.

Still laughing.

#230 6 years ago

Ok, so, until 5 minutes ago, everything I knew about Supreme I learned from this thread.

My impressions were:

-stupid logo
-print logo on bricks, axes, kayaks, pinballs
-rich douche bags are customers

I decided to go check it out a bit. All I did was view the rest of their Instagram, the types of clothing they have released. Then I went to their website and looked a little there.

Now I understand Supreme as:

-Started in 1994 by skate boarders
-It's a street wear label, for young people
-They have a ton of products, that are basically fashion, not stupid logo tees
-9 million instagram followers
-The stuff with the logo on it like a brick has to be some intentional irony from them about branding.

As far as pricing goes, yeah, fashion costs money. This isn't walmart stuff, and lots of people spend money on fashion.

So I feel kind of dumb now for falling into the internet trap of seeing outrage and getting all the info from the source of that outrage, when it is a more nuanced issue that what was being presented to me.

#231 6 years ago

This brand has already encroached on my long time hobby of skateboarding. This is in no way skate. And to have skateboarding mentiond in its add campaigning pisses me off greatly. I have never seen anyone at a skate park ever whereing anything related to this brand. As for its street credibility, there's nothing there either. The only people who buy this sh*t are those who have little to no identity of there own and only buy it to flaunt that there parents have money.
Who made this logo? I can not seriously believe that some one who claimed to be an artist would be proud of this logo. The art of this logo can't seriously appeal to people's artistic mind. The only thing that sells this company products it that fact that some can afford while a great many can't afford said product and the ability of those that can afford to flaunt that fact.
As for this company being good for pinball. Hell no!! Someone in an earlier post nentiond it being good because it brings in youthfull inovative people. If stern ends up catering to anything these types of people want or desire in a machine than the art for of pinball design is doomed.
I am thankful to know that the fickle youth of the world will grow tired of it and it will die.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

This brand has already encroached on my long time hobby of skateboarding. This is in no way skate. And to have skateboarding mentiond in its add campaigning pisses me off greatly. I have never seen anyone at a skate park ever whereing anything related to this brand.

I skated from '86 to '06. Back yard and barn half-pipes, pools, street scene, skate parks, you name it, with all ages, races, and skill levels, and I never heard or saw anything to do with Supreme either, so I wondered WTF myself, LOL.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So I feel kind of dumb now for falling into the internet trap of seeing outrage and getting all the info from the source of that outrage, when it is a more nuanced issue that what was being presented to me.

Hey at least you didn't double-down on the histronics like others here once it became clear what was actually happening. The point of this thing is so far over some persons' heads it might as well be traveling by blimp.

As far as the actual game goes... I LOVE the sounds in the trailer, and I hope the actual project has them. Perfect future-retro vibe for something like this. I suspect not but who knows. And for those who simply can't get past the idea that this is a "reskin" the real cabinet is a HUGE upgrade over the original home version game.

#234 6 years ago

Supreme are absolutely hated by most of the skate community, and certainly virtually anyone involved in the art / design scene associated with skate culture.

They appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator, across their entire product range. This is particularly true of anything that relates to skate stuff still - namely decks with some pretty hideous 'art', which rather than being screen printed is low quality inkjet print on generally lousy quality decks ... for a premium price.

There are some fantastic illustrators, artists and graphic designers associated with skateboarding, and companies and consumers who support them. Supreme are resolutely not among these.

This, much like the story about their ethics should speak to why people don't like them in general, and aren't necessarily very happy to see them in pinball.

Also, you're dreaming if you think most of their brand disciples will suddenly lust after pinball machines. It's cool to them because it has their logo on it. That's it.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As far as the actual game goes... I LOVE the sounds in the trailer, and I hope the actual project has them.

When I heard them, it sounds like these are canned sound effects in the ad. I doubt those are the games actual sounds at all.

#236 6 years ago

Great “license”. Will get huge exposure for Pinball. No brainer for Stern to take this on as a contract manufacturer. This has nothing to with the Pinball market and is not a typical release. Its just reflective of the vintage/retro trend that’s gone mainstream.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

When I heard them, it sounds like these are canned sound effects in the ad. I doubt those are the games actual sounds at all.

Agreed. Still, I love them for this type of game.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Also, you're dreaming if you think most of their brand disciples will suddenly lust after pinball machines. It's cool to them because it has their logo on it. That's it.

Also agreed. But then...who cares? None of us were upset when the forums weren't suddenly flooded by PBR fans or Mustang nutswingers when those licenses came out. It's still nice to see something pinball related get 2 million views. For the first time ever.

Hahahaha these guys nailed it!

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/12/17003642/supreme-stern-pinball-machine-ss18

"Supreme fans should be thrilled about the addition of a new item to add to their collection of branded kayaks and axes, while longtime pinball enthusiasts are scratching their heads in their forums:"

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

longtime pinball enthusiasts are scratching their heads in their forums:"

Yeah, we need to start doing more regular lice checks.

#239 6 years ago

Looks like a giant coke can. This is the new Stern pinball machine? Im glad I dont have any money to spend right now.

#240 6 years ago

Translite looked pretty boring. I would have never guessed that Stern would make this game. Don’t mean to offend any hype beasts or anything, just not my cup of tea.

#241 6 years ago

Man, this whole thread is filled with belly laughs! The old fogeys, the brand defenders, the sarcasm, Crazy Levi. Love it all. Keep it up!

#242 6 years ago

Gary Stern: I bet I can get people to pay over $10K for a pinball!
Supreme: Hold my brick

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So does anyone think these will actually sell? $100 bricks are different than $4k or whatever. KISS Army never translated over to sales so I don’t know if any brand will. Millions of instagram views notwithstanding.

Stern will sell every single one that Supreme commissioned. Whether Supreme sells them all or not, who cares?

#244 6 years ago

Who said the next stern pinball would certainly be Iron Maiden?

#245 6 years ago

I so need to order one of these shirts now that I know what all the hype is about. Fantastic and more my speed at twenty bucks.

https://teespring.com/shop/nacho-supreme#pid=2&cid=2122&sid=front

560 (resized).jpg560 (resized).jpg

#246 6 years ago

Now I want to see a Game-room with both a Supreme and a Domino's pinball side-by-side....

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Now I want to see a Game-room with a both a Supreme and a Domino's pinball side-by-side....

It all comes down to how much Supreme and Domino's will pay me to advertise their product in my home.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It all comes down to how much Supreme and Domino's will pay me to advertise their product in my home.

You seriously don't own any licensed pinball machines?

There's really not much difference between this and any other Stern game put out in the last 20 years. I don't know anybody who gets paid by Sony pictures to advertise Spider Man in their home etc.

#249 6 years ago

I know what Supreme is, although I didn't until the other day when I saw a kid at the mall wearing a Supreme cap. not why I don't like it, though.

I don't like it because its priced and marketed as a luxury, yet nothing is luxury about it. It's not handmade any more than any other piece of clothing is. It's created artificially scarce. To me, when something is made artificially scarce and is made of the same middling-quality materials as other clothes, (for instance, American Apparel) that's shitty.

At least my $5,000 Stern pinball machine was made by hand in the United States, which explains most of the cost.

This quote kinda came to mind, although it looks like we've come a long way since the 1970s when Warhol said this.

"What’s great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it."

https://kottke.org/10/10/andy-warhol-on-coca-cola

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You seriously don't own any licensed pinball machines?
There's really not much difference between this and any other Stern game put out in the last 20 years. I don't know anybody who gets paid by Sony pictures to advertise Spider Man in their home etc.

That's waaaaayyyy different!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 705 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-x-supreme-new-machine/page/5?hl=jester523 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.