View topic image gallery

image-486.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_4280_edited-2.jpg
IMG_4278_edited-1.jpg
20140301_140136.jpg
20140301_140148.jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to start. I was able to correct some similar issues with wpc games, but only because there is a wealth of knowledge on the subject on the internet. I'm clueless with Stern games, and searching the internet hasn't been much help. Apparently resets with the SAM boardset is fairly uncommon.

I played this game pretty heavy for about 3 months, never had a problem. I worked out a trade deal with a pinsider, and now the game has this reset issue. The resets only occur when the drop targets reset. It doesn't happen every time, in fact it only happens every 4-5 games. I tested 5v during gameplay and during a game reset and it stayed steady at 5.14 volts. Anyone familiar with Stern who can point me in the right direction?

#2 11 years ago

Guessing........maybe the reset coil is drawing too much power. Maybe try another one.

#3 11 years ago

Should add that reseated all connector this morning and reset problem persisted. 12v also a steady 13.6 even during resets. Tonight, I reseated the boot rom. 6-7 games, so far zero resets.

#4 11 years ago

The test you did on the voltage during a reset wouldn't help anyway. A dmm isn't fast enough to show the momentary power drop that could cause a reset. You'd have to use an oscilloscope.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Tonight, I reseated the boot rom. 6-7 games, so far zero resets.

Hope that works for you, I love that pin....every time I have had a problem with my Stern pins its been with the fuses, maybe replace the fuse and try a lower amp...not that I know much about repair...

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The test you did on the voltage during a reset wouldn't help anyway. A dmm isn't fast enough to show the momentary power drop that could cause a reset. You'd have to use an oscilloscope.

Ahhh.....That make sense. I had no idea.

#7 11 years ago

Anyone? I don't really have a clue

#8 11 years ago

This may be one for the "Dear Lloyd" section, he's had a bunch of new Sterns at his place...seems reasonable to wonder if he may have encountered this before.

If nothing else a thread over on RGP (flamesuit on!) might be in order, there is quite a bit of knowledge out there that doesn't visit Pinside for whatever reason.

#9 11 years ago

Stern had some defective chips on the main board on some early run WPT games. If your game has this board ( random resets or unlimited multi ball problems ) give Stern a call and they will swap your board out free of charge. The updated board will also have the updated bootloader chip that has greater memory stick compatibility for flashing code updates.

Check out service bulletin # 163

http://www.sternpinball.com/SB/ServiceBulletin_163.html

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Stern had some defective chips on the main board on some early run WPT games. If you game has this board ( random resets or unlimited multi ball problems ) give Stern a call and they will swap your board out free of charge. The updated board will also have the updated bootloader chip that has greater memory stick compatibility for flashing code updates.
http://www.sternpinball.com/SB/ServiceBulletin_163.html

Good to know... Thanks

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

This may be one for the "Dear Lloyd" section

I am anxiously awaiting Lloyd to check in. I can only imagine how full his Dear Lloyd inbox is.

Quoted from cal50:

I called Stern and I we were able to determine that the update was already done

#13 11 years ago

Looking at the power driver board I see five (5) filter caps and three (3) bridge rectifiers.
Looking for test point and checking voltages is a good start.

If your board has been updated that is a plus.

I would suspect a bridge rectifier being weak or on its way out or something specific to the drop target circuit since that is triggering the reset. See if the same reset happens in solenoid test when resetting the targets.

#14 11 years ago

@Jewboyflowerhead, That RCT I sold ya had a similiar prob. If I recall, mine was the 5v and it would reset randomly if the volts were under 5. I checked and it was 4.97. After adjusting the POT right next to the test point to get it back up over 5, the game worked flawlessly.

Not sure if that helps, but hope you can fix it.

10 months later
#15 10 years ago

Bumping this older thread. Having an intermittent reset on the WPT I just bought. Reseating connectors didn't help. At first I thought it was happening during multiball but now I've had 2 resets with no ball in play at all. Once it did it right after I hit the game start button.

#16 10 years ago

Anyone? Wondering if the OP ever fixed his.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Anyone? Wondering if the OP ever fixed his.

Sorry miknan, I tried to respond to your pm but it said the pm had been deleted already. My problem is solved, but i dont think it is a typical solution. During coil test mode, I noticed the pf display would slightly flicker every time the left drop targets coil would reset. I changed the coil and haven't had a problem since. I had disconnected that coil and tested prior. The coil tested and functioned ok

#18 10 years ago

Sorry miknan, I tried to respond to your pm but it said the pm had been deleted already. My problem is solved, but i dont think it is a typical solution. During coil test mode, I noticed the pf display would slightly flicker every time the left drop targets coil would reset. I changed the coil and haven't had a problem since. I had disconnected that coil and tested prior. The coil tested and functioned ok

Thanks for getting back to me. My game plays perfectly until this randomly happens. Haven't had it long enough yet to really play around with it or notice any consistency in the resets. Been busy at work the past few days so hopefully I can figure it out next week. I'm hoping its the older card that Stern will replace but I doubt I'll be that lucky.

#19 10 years ago

You can tell if the board has been replaced by checking for 2 jumper wires on the back of the mpu on a particular chip

#20 10 years ago

Common on the first SAM board WPT games.

Mine did it as well. Had to send board in under warranty to get it fixed. Bulletin 163

http://sternpinball.com/SB/ServiceBulletin_163.html

#21 10 years ago

You can see the jumper wire on the top of the board? Would someone mind taking a pic?

#22 10 years ago

Yep. Right around the battery, 2 small green wires.

20140301_140148.jpg20140301_140148.jpg 20140301_140136.jpg20140301_140136.jpg
#23 10 years ago

So, are the wires for the fixed board or the original bad one?

#24 10 years ago

Thank you VERY much for the pictures. I'll double check when I get home but pretty sure I have a blue wire going from that chip. But I don't remember seeing the second wire. I'm betting I have the updated card but will look further into it next week. Thanks again.

#25 10 years ago

Okay, now you guys got me curious.

Here's my pic of my CPU board. I don't see the bottom wire.IMG_4278_edited-1.jpgIMG_4278_edited-1.jpg

#26 10 years ago

And here's a shot of my mirror blades installed.

IMG_4280_edited-2.jpgIMG_4280_edited-2.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Very strange, I only have the one wire on the bottom. What else could cause these resets if I have the updated board?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#28 10 years ago

From info from patrick at stern, he had me test a bridge. I dig through my emails to see if I can find which one

#29 10 years ago

Is there anything worse than getting a new game (and paying a high price) then can't even frigging play it because it resets? I'm pretty sure it's not an older board and unlike my JD there is so little info out there I'm not sure where to start nor do I feels like ripping into this machine, as I'm not that good with it.

There's no consistency in the resets that I can tell. Sometimes there's a ball in play other times there isn't. Haven't been able to determine if it does that when all the targets reset at once.

#30 10 years ago

Failing bridge rectifier(s).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to start. I was able to correct some similar issues with wpc games, but only because there is a wealth of knowledge on the subject on the internet. I'm clueless with Stern games, and searching the internet hasn't been much help. Apparently resets with the SAM boardset is fairly uncommon.
I played this game pretty heavy for about 3 months, never had a problem. I worked out a trade deal with a pinsider, and now the game has this reset issue. The resets only occur when the drop targets reset. It doesn't happen every time, in fact it only happens every 4-5 games. I tested 5v during gameplay and during a game reset and it stayed steady at 5.14 volts. Anyone familiar with Stern who can point me in the right direction?

#31 10 years ago

One of the springs is missing from a drop target. There isn't anyway that switch not working could cause this could it?

#32 10 years ago

Newest version/code? Mine says this. Does anyone know if that's the latest code?

V14.0
Sys 1.38
HDW 1

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Newest version/code? Mine says this. Does anyone know if that's the latest code?
V14.0
Sys 1.38
HDW 1

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/WPTreadme.txt

#34 10 years ago

I found a drop target not working. Turned out the spring broke. This led to me maybe finding the problem. After playing around with the lower left drop target assembly that had the target with the missing spring, I decided to play a game. Strangely, that drop target assembly never popped up when the game started. I played many games with all those targets down and not once did it rest. After, I tried a coil test and I didn't expect it to work but it did and they all popped up but the game immediately reset. Every coil test there reset the game every time. I started looking closer and the connector there seems like it doesn't fit on that tight. Is that normal or a problem? Also, the first wire there ( a green and brown one) is very loose and I don't think making a connection anymore. I tried to find out what this connector and wire actually did but can't find it on the schematics. Does this sound like it for sure is the problem? What troubles me a little is that I ran this coil test earlier and it didn't do that but I'm thinking that wire wasn't as loose then as it is now. Oh, I found the broken spring on the bottom of the cabinet. I don't think that spring and drop target had anything to do with the resets but luckily may have pointed me in the right direction.

#35 10 years ago

Post a pic of the connector in question.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#36 10 years ago

Here it is. It's actually the connector to the the lower left drop target assembly. A friend better at doing connectors than me (and has a 10 pin idc connector I can have) is going to come over Friday. I'll post if this fixes it in case some other person runs into this problem.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-486.jpgimage-486.jpg
#37 10 years ago

After looking and looking through the booklet, I finally found that schematic. It's actually a 9 pin connector in the playfield harness and that wire is suppose to be green-orange but looks brown to me. It goes to CPU/SND J1-P4. I'm excited I found the problem. Couple questions about the idc connector, how tight do they have to be on the header pins? Most you have to pull fairly hard to get off. This one a small amount of pressure and it kind of slides on the header pins although it doesn't come off. Also, prob a dumb question, but what do key pins do? Can't you just skip that pin?

Further investigation says this green/orange wire goes to the "Switch strobes". What's that? Lights? Maybe this isn't the rest problem after all.

#38 10 years ago

Ok, I'm just kind of putting my thoughts down, sorry if I'm rambling. I've only had pins for a year so I'm still learning. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that loose green-orange wire isn't the reset problem. Probably the reason the targets don't reset upon start up but running the coil test they all will pop up but then it resets. Should I be looking at that coil?

#39 10 years ago

IDC are a faster connector to install, so it speeds up manufacturing. Most repair folks recommend re-pinning with Molex Trifurcon when you have issues with IDC connectors. The metal in the IDC is susceptible to changes with heat and the area of contact is small, so you can easily run into issues.

Marc

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Probably the reason the targets don't reset upon start up but running the coil test they all will pop up but then it resets.

Targets not resetting at the start of the game would indicate that the switches (optos) for those targets aren't working. Once you get the connector squared away, manually reset all drop target banks, then run switch test and knock down each drop target with a finger while watching the display. Usually all or none in a bank will work, unless you have a single opto pair out, which is rare. All 4 drop target opto boards are the same part number, so you can move them around to see if you have a wiring or hardware issue.

For some reason, the IDC connectors for Stern drop targets need to be especially tight. Even a little loose will make them not work. Saw this on an AVE recently and I don't think they use the same board as WPT. If you can see any gap at all, they may not work.

#41 10 years ago

I'm doubtful that the crappy IDC connection is the source of the resets.
It needs to be fixed, but that isn't it.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#42 10 years ago

Chris, do you think it could be that whole 9 pin connector? It doesn't fit snugly on the header pins. Yesterday the lower drop target coil test caused the machine to reset every time. This morning I fiddled around with it and the machine didn't reset. There is a 5v connection on this connector. Or do you think I'm likely barking up the wrong tree?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Targets not resetting at the start of the game would indicate that the switches (optos) for those targets aren't working. Once you get the connector squared away, manually reset all drop target banks, then run switch test and knock down each drop target with a finger while watching the display. Usually all or none in a bank will work, unless you have a single opto pair out, which is rare. All 4 drop target opto boards are the same part number, so you can move them around to see if you have a wiring or hardware issue.
For some reason, the IDC connectors for Stern drop targets need to be especially tight. Even a little loose will make them not work. Saw this on an AVE recently and I don't think they use the same board as WPT. If you can see any gap at all, they may not work.

Thanks. When I fix this connector I'll try this if I keep having problems.

#44 10 years ago

Don't know 100% because it was an intermittent problem but changed this connector and so far no resets and the game plays beautiful.

1 week later
#45 10 years ago

Damnit... Thought it was fixed but it rest twice now in the past week. I played a lot of games and it's only happened twice and no pattern that I see. It's waaaaayyyyy better than before so you'd think that connector had something to do with it but I'm at a loss now where to start.

#46 10 years ago

I'm really hoping somebody has an idea what I should try next. It only resets once when in a great while when the lower left drop targets reset. The targets themselves do pop up but then the game resets. I checked all the fuse holders and they seem like they are fine and fuses themselves snug.

On the CPU board J11 pin 1= 5.08 V, pins 3 and 6 = 13.8 v ( one was negative volts)
On the driver board J16 I got the 5.08v and 13.8v. At J10, I got 27.4 vac and the 50v pins read 77v. I was surprised that was so high but I read somewhere that it should be that?

I wanted to look at and measure some voltages on the optos but I'm not sure where they are. I looked around but I'm just not sure. I'm obviously new to this hobby. I'm guessing I should replace the coil for those targets? With all the wires around it it doesn't look like it would be easy for me. I have read they are associated with Q5. Should I replace that too? Can it be tested? Where is it exactly?

I once again reseated the connector I replaced already. It's a nice tight connection but should I have replaced those header pins too? It hadn't reset since I reseated the connector but it's so intermittent that could be just a coincidence. Thanks for any help.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Damnit... Thought it was fixed but it rest twice now in the past week. I played a lot of games and it's only happened twice and no pattern that I see. It's waaaaayyyyy better than before so you'd think that connector had something to do with it but I'm at a loss now where to start.

Reflow the headers for these pins. That would be my next line of attack.

I find that power connector to be the first most common reset issue, then the bridge.

1 month later
#48 9 years ago

Well, after a month of solid play it finally reset. Didn't notice what precipitated it but I'm assuming those left lower targets. After running through the coil test it never reset but I notice the pf display flicker around where it set "Stern". Sounds like the exact same problem. Guess I'll try replacing that coil also. Sounds like two WPTs doing the same thing. Has anyone else had this happen?

#49 9 years ago

Been fighting this issue a long time and found green funk in the 6464 ram. Replacing with nvram and am sure it will solve the last reset issue

#50 9 years ago

Coz6, this fixed your issue or you are going to try it? I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I'll have to research that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
Trade
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-wpt-reset-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.