(Topic ID: 138323)

Stern will sell every GOT they make. Do you want one?

By kaneda

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dgarrett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GOTPP.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2263.jpg
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2272.jpg
IMG_2739.jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I just think 80% of Stern sales don't come from Pinside members. Do you agree / disagree?

You are probably right, but given the people I know in my area that are into pinball, about 50% are not on pinside. Of those that purchased NIB pins, about 80% are on pinside.

#52 8 years ago

Metallica has such a strong PF art, I don't like the theme of Met so I'm not buying, but GoT had a great theme and it's let down by the art. Not a little miss either a great big swing and miss with bases loaded.

It's not like they put in a color DMD either to make us over look the art. It's all down to the play and the code. At these prices I demand the whole package play, code and art.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

What's funny is stern art is always like this and if the game is fun and has awesome code, nobody will care about art and backglass issues. Everyone is starring at this thing in a vacuum. This looks like the most fun stern in a long time!

must have never heard or played a MET Prem . not so long ago they were released

#54 8 years ago

I'm with the OP here. I agree with everyone that the art looks bad. I agree that it's hard to understand why the art isn't better (can it be that difficult? KISS art was great...why the letdown now?) I'm a little angry that Stern didn't make this game look better because I love GOT.

Despite all that, the upper playfield looks awesome and I can't wait to play this thing.

#55 8 years ago

Art is in the eye of the beholder mabey stern thinks the art is perfect I would bet money their drinking champagne after this one because at the end of the day people are gonna buy buy buy buy buy buy buy and their pockets are getting fatter $$! If it makes dollars it makes sense

#56 8 years ago

Not a chance I'd buy one, but I'll put some quarters in when I find it in the wild.

The primary disappointment for me is the monochrome DMD. Hard to believe Stern hasn't moved over at the very least to a color DMD by now. Even my LOTR now has a color DMD.

#57 8 years ago

Stern will sell every one they will make but that's true with any game. Production is related to demand. They sold every Wrestlemania but how many was that? I don't pretend to understand the market but seems like many home owners don't have access to playing games on site. Theme and visual presentation are pretty important to those customers. GoT is a popular theme but how many customers turn away or wait for gameplay because pictures look bad? Operators will probably buy a bunch because of the popular theme so who knows.

I'm not a GoT fan but I was prepared to buy one if it had a color display, amazing visuals, and cool features. Right now I have zero interest in it because it's just another pin with a theme I don't like. Maybe someday I will find one to play but it will be an uphill battle to win over my $$$. That's just me, though.

#58 8 years ago

I'm a huge GOT fan and if this pin looked amazing i'd have figured out what to sell to get it. They've made it so I'm not concerned about getting one. I hope it's a good game but i'm not going to rush out to buy it based on what they've put out. Maybe later if it proves me wrong.

#59 8 years ago

I'd like to play it prior to tossing good money on it. Looks alone has me turned off unless it's under 4k.

#60 8 years ago

This morning I woke up, looked over the GOT art again and then looked down at this. My god Stern, you KNOW how to make a fantasy pin's art work, how the hell did you mess it up so bad. Looking at this pin is like starring into the world of Middle Earth. I don't get any of that from GOT. No characthers, no familiar structures, no wall, no white walkers, no giant, no John Snow, no unsully (sp?)...it's like the entire playfield has no visual cues to the show other than the Flags, which nobody cares about or sees during the show.

To think Stern could crank this out in 2004 and has had 10 years to improve makes GOT art even that much more laughable.

IMG_2739.jpgIMG_2739.jpg

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

and then looked down at this

look up and give us a photo of that sweet backglass...

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

After a day of everyone freaking out, let's be honest, 95% of pinball players, fans aren't on pinside. They will find this game fun. The game does look like amazing fun to shoot and it is sort of like POTC art. Meant to have mass appeal.

I think GoT fans are passionate in a VERY detail oriented way....you have to be to follow the show. They're gonna look at this thing and go "wtf"? Also, there aren't any obvious "newb" toys or shots. Pirates had a big obvious ship toy, a treasure chest, and a spinning disc ramp shot. Very obvious for a newb. Also for buyers, $3500 got you POTC - a fully featured game. POTC is the epitome of mass appeal - it's Disney. GoT, while popular - has a very specific fanbase that's passionate in a different way than Pirates fans are, IMO.

Quoted from kaneda:

I bet Stern doesn't care about losing 200 buyers from pinside at all. Again they have a target sales number (since they are a real company) and they will hit it. Here's my point, if pinside were a true representation of who buys the majority of Stern's games, then this thing would flop. It won't flop.

Of course, we are a minor factor....but our opinions on game art are absolutely valid, and there's no way non-pinsiders are going to feel differently.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

ZERO interest
no interest in the movie/show
saw the playfield art and it looks VERY lame (first impression)
not sure about game play and shots and fun factor but you don't get a second change to make a first impression

I second this!!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I just think 80% of Stern sales don't come from Pinside members. Do you agree / disagree?

Considering that 29,976 users logged onto pinside in the last 24 hours I would be hard to say that not a lot of sales come from this place alone. I'm not going to say 80% but i'll say at least 15% if not more.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

look up and give us a photo of that sweet backglass...

GOT art makes me want to cry. Boy to think you can offer up $7,000 TODAY and get a mint LOTR LE...who the hell would pick a GOT LE for $2,000 more?

IMG_2272.jpgIMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2271.jpgIMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2263.jpgIMG_2263.jpg

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Everyone complains that they want more more more in these games, but when the prices go up and everyone cries foul. Can't have it both ways folks - that is if you want Stern to stay in business.

The problem is prices keep going up while features are being cut. That is why people cry foul. Prices didn't go up until Stern caught on to what people were willing to pay for JJP, Heighway, JPOP, etc. What used to be a $4500 machine is now a $6000 machine with no increase in quality; and some would argue a decrease in quality. What they're selling at the $8000+ pricepoint doesn't match in quality to what the competition is offering. But at this time people keep buying because they like the theme, gameplay, or just because "that's the way it is"; that's why they get away with it. If people actually voted with their wallets instead of just complaining online things might actually change.

Quoted from Xenon75:

I don't know how many of us were around when LOTR was shown for the first time, but everyone had the same reaction - What is all this photoshop, pixelation, etc. And look - the game is a fucking classic.

Again, when LOTR came out Stern was the only game in town for new games. Gameplay/code saved this title. There are lots of Stern's from this era that are not considered classics. If people want a total package: art, build quality, and gameplay/code that reflects the pricepoint; then they need to put their money where that's being exhibited. What people who criticize JJP, Heighway, Spooky, etc for taking longer to produce higher quality/innovative/original machines need to realize is; if those companies took more business from Stern then production would go up. Stern can continue to produce the same quality games that they have been, but their prices should reflect that level of quality. Right now they're simply raising prices and pocketing the profits.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

And...who exactly hated Tron at first?

Almost everyone hated IM and Tron when revealed...complained that they were too cheap, had off the shelf toys, and had too much product marketing package Photoshop for art. Now - while that is all true, and they're not "high art"....Iron Man looks like Iron Man. Tron looks like Tron. GoT doesn't even remotely look like GoT. It looks like some other game that someone made one of those tacky alternate translites for.

People also used to complain a lot about "actors" or "Photoshop heads" on the playfield...now while I agree that can be done in a very cut 'n paste way...I think Stern has taken that complaint to heart, as ST, TWD, and now GoT don't feature any "actors" on the playfield. I think Star Trek should have had some characters on the playfield...that's what ST is all about - the crew. The game feels cold and lacks personality. TWD works, IMO - as it has rampaging zombies and blood spatter...it has personality. GOT has too many characters to put on the PF, so perhaps in theory this was the right choice - but the style is all wrong. Cabinet & Translite should have featured a more interesting collage of way more characters (smaller) doing interesting things, like some of the DE & Sega backglasses.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

The problem is prices keep going up while features are being cut. That is why people cry foul. Prices didn't go up until Stern caught on to what people were willing to pay for JJP, Heighway, JPOP, etc. What used to be a $4500 machine is now a $6000 machine with no increase in quality; and some would argue a decrease in quality. What they're selling at the $8000+ pricepoint doesn't match in quality to what the competition is offering. But at this time people keep buying because they like the theme, gameplay, or just because "that's the way it is"; that's why they get away with it. If people actually voted with their wallets instead of just complaining online things might actually change.

Agreed on all counts.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

GOT art makes me want to cry. Boy to think you can offer up $7,000 TODAY and get a mint LOTR LE...who the hell would pick a GOT LE for $2,000 more?

Your numbers are so far off. People have stated in other threads that they're getting quotes for GoT LE @ $7800 shipped....and who's buying LOTR LE for $7k!?

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

And...who exactly hated Tron at first?

I did. I was going to buy an LE and saw photoshopped art on the playfield. I backed out. That was an extremely stupid move on my part, wasn't it ? I wanted to hate it the first time I played it, but I only hated myself for being so stupid. While art helps a make a pinball machine a better playing experience, the game itself is what really matters.

If you love GoT, I am pretty sure the Premium or LE version of this game will be nothing short of awesome when all is said and done. Don't make the dumb move I made and fail to secure a pin with a theme you love over petty art nonsense. You'll wind up like me ... trying to make a Tron LE out of a Pro (I'm too cheap to buy an LE outright ) ... only that's going to be tough with GoT.

Having said that, I do have an irrational hatred of "photographs" on playfields ... I'd almost prefer that "Jack the Monkey" on an otherwise excellent PotC playfield be sanded off and I simply can't stand the look of the Stern Indy PF .

#71 8 years ago

Do they have any old machines sitting around, I think they have sold every machine they ever put up for sale.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

If you love GoT, I am pretty sure the Premium or LE version of this game will be nothing short of awesome when all is said and done. Don't make the dumb move I made and fail to secure a pin with a theme you love over petty art nonsense. You'll wind up like me ... trying to make a TRON LE out of a Pro (I'm too cheap to buy an LE outright ) ... only that's going to be tough with GoT.

Premium will have unlimited production (to meet demand) for 3 years, LE has 700 units. Tron LE was 400 units and no Premium. No need to buy out of fear that you won't be able to get one later.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

I would bet money their drinking champagne after this one because at the end of the day people are gonna buy buy buy buy buy buy buy and their pockets are getting fatter $$! If it makes dollars it makes sense

image.jpgimage.jpg

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Your numbers are so far off. People have stated in other threads that they're getting quotes for GoT LE @ $7800 shipped....and who's buying LOTR LE for $7k!?

LOTR LE that's mint with some mods is fetching 7K all day long, no? $7800 shipped seems cheap for GOT LE, but I haven't looked into it. Not interested.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I did. I was going to buy an LE and saw photoshopped art on the playfield. I backed out. That was an extremely stupid move on my part, wasn't it ? I wanted to hate it the first time I played it, but I only hated myself for being so stupid. While art helps a make a pinball machine a better playing experience, the game itself is what really matters.
If you love GoT, I am pretty sure the Premium or LE version of this game will be nothing short of awesome when all is said and done. Don't make the dumb move I made and fail to secure a pin with a theme you love over petty art nonsense. You'll wind up like me ... trying to make a TRON LE out of a Pro (I'm too cheap to buy an LE outright ) ... only that's going to be tough with GoT.
Having said that, I do have an irrational hatred of "photographs" on playfields ... I'd almost prefer that "Jack the Monkey" on an otherwise excellent PotC playfield be sanded off and I simply can't stand the look of the Stern Indy PF .

The BIG difference is there was no premium Tron. If there were, TRON LE's would never fetch what they do. That one pin made Stern wise up. Now they fleece the LE buyers and let everyone else get the premium which they will make forever and ever.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

LOTR LE that's mint with some mods is fetching 7K all day long, no? $7800 shipped seems cheap for GOT LE, but I haven't looked into it. Not interested.

No? You sure seem interested in trying to convince us that we're interested when we're not interested.

I think you're interested.

Buy a GoT.

#77 8 years ago

Backed out of my LE last night after seeing the photos. Slept on it and I'm 100% sure I made the right decision for me.

For $12000 the fucking thing needs to at least look good!

Still really want to play it and if it's good I'll buy a premium when they are in stock and the code is good.

I don't understand people who are saying that I doesn't matter if pinheads don't like the art. Even if only 20 people don't buy the machine because of the art then that's a fuck load of cash to lose.

#78 8 years ago

I was interested in GoT initially, but not so much after seeing Stern's pictures.

Game play will be the ultimate factor for me. But that means finding one to play somewhere at some point...

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No? You sure seem interested in trying to convince us that we're interested when we're not interested.
I think you're interested.
Buy a GoT.

I just don't have room for a second pin. I can't see me getting rid of LOTR for this. I'm ALWAYS interested in new pins. But lack of room makes me not take the plunge. If I had more room I could have like 5 pins. I could swing a new one every other month without much financial trouble.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I just don't have room for a second pin. I can't see me getting rid of LOTR for this. I'm ALWAYS interested in new pins. But lack of room makes me not take the plunge. If I had more room I could have like 5 pins. I could swing a new one every other month without much financial trouble.

Then you should be able to get a bigger place without much financial trouble. Pins > cars. Priorities, brotendo

#81 8 years ago

It's probably going to be a hit, which I have mixed feelings about...I'd rather they be rewarded for doing great work on all aspects of the game rather than phoning it in on a license that basically prints money.

I'm holding out hope that the code, audio, dots and light show are all A+.

What I'm really hoping is that the reaction inside Stern is "maybe we should take more care next time" and not "this art is fantastic, freaking whiny collectors are a PITA and if they don't like it oh well."

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Haven't they pretty much said so over the last 24hrs?
I'M a die hard GoT fan who likes pinball.

The blackglass is the easiest thing to change.

GOTPP.jpgGOTPP.jpg

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

What I'm really hoping is that the reaction inside Stern is not "this art is fantastic, freaking whiny collectors are a PITA and if they don't like it oh well."

that's probably what they are saying right now.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Then you should be able to get a bigger place without much financial trouble. Pins > cars. Priorities, brotendo

Ha...I wish. NYC is a joke real estate wise. You sell and get what you had or less in a trendy neighborhood. Right now my cost of living is low because my place is paid off. No need for more space. Gonna just save my money this year.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Theme is 99% why people want to own a pin.

huh? holy f_ck...

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

The game looks fun - I can't wait to play it - and I haven't ever seen a single episode of GOT.

#87 8 years ago

I dunno.. GOT fans are probably more picky about adherence to source material/theme than pinball people. Will they put some money in one at the local barcade, maybe. Will they buy one if it looks like crap, no.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I could swing a new one every other month without much financial trouble.

Baller Alert

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Do you even think before speaking? 200 sales in this industry at PRO MSRP is 1.2 million dollars. Obviously not what Stern sells the game to distributors for but still, a little critical thinking would help your posts tremendously man...

Amen to that, aren't you in marketing Kaneda? Seriously? Not finance for sure?

The GOTLE price is JOKE compared to the premium. TWDLE is great, but I would have bought a premium had they said they were going to build one up front, they said just the opposite, they "weren't inclined to", per the distributors.

They might sell all the LE's to distributors, but I don't see 700 being sold to the consumer, probably get some Automated specials down the road.

And you are assuming buyers/consumers outside of Pinside are stupid!

People aren't going to get used to PAYING MORE and GETTING LESS, as hard a they try, it's not gonna work, with any consumer shelling out these kind of bucks. You aren't buying one.

#90 8 years ago

I'd like to have one for the line up.

I'll have to see. Maybe happen, maybe not.

LTG : )

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Amen to that, aren't you in marketing Kaneda? Seriously? Not finance for sure?
The GOTLE price is JOKE compared to the premium. TWDLE is great, but I would have bought a premium had they said they were going to build one up front, they said just the opposite, they "weren't inclined to", per the distributors.
They might sell all the LE's to distributors, but I don't see 700 being sold to the consumer, probably get some Automated specials down the road.
And you are assuming buyers/consumers outside of Pinside are stupid!
People aren't going to get used to PAYING MORE and GETTING LESS, as hard a they try, it's not gonna work, with any consumer shelling out these kind of bucks. You aren't buying one.

I am in marketing. I just don't think buyers outside of pinside (which are the majority) really study these things and will feel like they are getting less for more. 700 LE's is A LOT and if the art was there, yeah, it would have sold out by today. I think they will sell them all, but it won't be that easy.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I just don't think buyers outside of pinside (which are the majority)

I think you are underestimating how many pinball people avoid Pinside.

LTG : )™

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I think you are underestimating how many pinball people avoid Pinside.

Confused, are you agreeing with my statement?

#95 8 years ago

I would have to play it before deciding if I wanted it or not. Just as I did with KISS.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Confused, are you agreeing with my statement?

Apparently. Been a long day at the tech support races. I need a break.

#97 8 years ago

LE looks great! Love the dragon on the side and game play looks awesome!

#98 8 years ago

I harshed on the art but I believe this is going to be a really fun pin. It looks like it's going to have some cool different features with the sword lock, dragon kick back, and battering ram bash. Code will make it great.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

I'm in on a pro. Looks like fun.

So you're the one.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I would have to play it before deciding if I wanted it or not. Just as I did with KISS.

You can come over and play my GOTLE next month if it helps you decide. In fact, i might even sell it to you if you like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-will-sell-every-got-they-make/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.