(Topic ID: 138323)

Stern will sell every GOT they make. Do you want one?

By kaneda

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dgarrett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GOTPP.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2263.jpg
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2272.jpg
IMG_2739.jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

After a day of everyone freaking out, let's be honest, 95% of pinball players, fans aren't on pinside. They will find this game fun. The game does look like amazing fun to shoot and it is sort of like POTC art. Meant to have mass appeal. That pin sold like 5,000 units.

Art aside, who doesn't want to play this pin? as much as I am let down by the art, I still want to buy one.

#2 8 years ago

Me too!

#3 8 years ago

What's funny is stern art is always like this and if the game is fun and has awesome code, nobody will care about art and backglass issues. Everyone is starring at this thing in a vacuum. This looks like the most fun stern in a long time!

#4 8 years ago

Sure they will. Just less than they could have. I was ready to buy. Now I'm going to pass, cause I have Kiss, TH and Alien coming, and this is not enough to dislodge any of them. Plus I don't have a TWD and I could still get that. There is a LOT of choice out there at the moment. This level of game might just not cut it any more. But, maybe good code will save it, but without visual gotta-have appeal a lot of momentum evaporates quick.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

What's funny is stern art is always like this

That's plain wrong right there.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sure they will. Just less than they could have.

+1. At 9890 euros for the LE, no chance it will sell well in Europe with its awful backglass. Could be a great players game, won't be a highly collectible one.
Waiting to see the Premium. Many people prefer the factions, plots and characters of the North even if... (insert spoilers here)...

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sure they will. Just less than they could have. I was ready to buy. Now I'm going to pass, cause I have Kiss, TH and Alien coming, and this is not enough to dislodge any of them. Plus I don't have a TWD and I could still get that. There is a LOT of choice out there at the moment. This level of game might just not cut it any more. But, maybe good code will save it, but without visual gotta-have appeal a lot of momentum evaporates quick.

I bet Stern doesn't care about losing 200 buyers from pinside at all. Again they have a target sales number (since they are a real company) and they will hit it. Here's my point, if pinside were a true representation of who buys the majority of Stern's games, then this thing would flop. It won't flop.

There are millions and millions of GOT fans who would love to have this, see the pin and get all excited. I even bet a lot of pinside likes it and is staying quiet because the mob will attack them. This pin looks 10x more interesting to shoot than KISS and GOT is 1000000x more relevant now than KISS. Plus Stern is smart to get this thing out while the show is still airing new episodes. It's gonna be a huge hit for them.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

+1. At 9890 euros for the LE, no chance it will sell well in Europe with its awful backglass. Could be a great players game, won't be a highly collectible one.
Waiting to see the Premium. Many people prefer the factions, plots and characters of the North even if... (insert spoilers here)...

Again how do you know? You think backglass will stop a die hard GOT fan who likes pinball? Theme is 99% why people want to own a pin.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You think backglass will stop a die hard GOT fan who likes pinball?

Haven't they pretty much said so over the last 24hrs?

I'M a die hard GoT fan who likes pinball.

#10 8 years ago

kaneda's opinion: usually wrong, usually uninformed, usually trivial, but always deserving of its own thread.

#11 8 years ago

No, I don't want one.
I would like to know what Sterns next title is though.......

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

There are millions and millions of GOT fans who would love to have this, see the pin and get all excited.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that perhaps the overwhelmingly large majority of people who like and watch GoT don't buy ANY themed material at all, let alone a freaking pinball machine.

#13 8 years ago

All irrelevant.

It's half assed art and that's all there is to it.

People will in fact care and will speak by saving themselves 1000's of dollars waiting for the innovations to start being implemented. There's no excuse to use dmd. Period. There's no excuse for shitty art. Period.

I want a work of art not a work of fart.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Haven't they pretty much said so over the last 24hrs?
I'M a die hard GoT fan who likes pinball.

Just wait. There's a good chance you'll own one. Look I get it. Our expectations were through the roof. Today's art-pocolypse made everyone freak out. But I bet Stern spent 2 years making sure this pin is the most fun pin in every possible way. Once that theme hits and the dragon gets bashed, you're gonna want one.

People hated Tron at first. The single most important thing a pinball needs to be is fun! Damn this pin looks like fun. Admit it.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Again how do you know? You think backglass will stop a die hard GOT fan who likes pinball?

It is a no-go for me at least. And I am a huge GoT fan. Read the first book 18 years ago.

To be honest, a bad backglass can be fixed. Alternative translites will be done. There should be ways to hide these hideous childish plastics around the the upper PF. Fixing PF artwork will be harder but a good light show may improve the overall sensation. Gameplay will be great, no doubt.

All I am saying is that many LE potential buyers may downgrade their order to Premium.

And wait to see Nemo, Alien's artwork and Rob Zombie. We will talk about artwork standards then.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

All irrelevant.
It's half assed art and that's all there is to it.
People will in fact care and will speak by saving themselves 1000's of dollars waiting for the innovations to start being implemented. There's no excuse to use dmd. Period. There's no excuse for shitty art. Period.
I want a work of art not a work of fart.

So you think sales will suffer? I think people will moan and groan this week, then get over it. Then get in on one once LE's start to sell out. We are a fickle bunch, no. How many people said never again after WOZ and are now crying about Hobbit.

Look I am not defending the art. I personally think almost all pinball art is shit. I see better art in the subway that was thrown up in hours vs pinball companies that had years. But I do know if Stern can sell 5,000 POTC then they will sell that many GOT's. Similar art and theme popularity.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just wait. There's a good chance you'll own one.

I'm a glass half full guy. If my glass was any more half full it would be half overflowing. Listen to me. Of the last TEN stern releases, this is the worst, and I am immediately passing. I usually order day 1. There is too much choice. I pass on this, then I sit back and let the three machines I mentioned roll in over the next year or so. Hell, I might go order a Full Throttle RIGHT NOW. This is a crap fest, and I am NOT a negative guy.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hell, I might go order a Full Throttle RIGHT NOW.

Go for it then (but one may argue its artwork is not is best virtue... at least theme integration is good). It's a good game. Fastest Widebody I ever played.

Are you on Alien too?

#20 8 years ago

Ill buy one its only money ill play it if i dont like it ill sell it on craigslist not a big deal

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm a glass half full guy. If my glass was any more half full it would be half overflowing. Listen to me. Of the last TEN stern releases, this is the worst, and I am immediately passing. I usually order day 1. There is too much choice. I pass on this, then I sit back and let the three machines I mentioned roll in over the next year or so. Hell, I might go order a Full Throttle RIGHT NOW. This is a crap fest, and I am NOT a negative guy.

You consider WWE superior to GOT?

#22 8 years ago

Maybe people looking to put money into a pinball game see cheap art that reflects a lack of effort and decide that the pinball game itself is cheap and reflects a lack of effort. Whether it's quarters or thousands of dollars.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I care for each of them equally.

#24 8 years ago

I dunno

Usually I know a handful of people who buy an LE pre order.
This time just 1, at least one more than WWELE.
Time will tell if it's great, but it's not sold out in 24 hours METLE great...imo
I really want to play one

#25 8 years ago

Depends if Stern can get their QC issues under control. It may play a part in overall demand.
I'm unboxing my KISS LE this evening and dreading what I may find.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I care for each of them equally.

Good man. I was worried there for a minute

#27 8 years ago

I'm a rabid fan of the book series and would never have imagined I'd baulk at buying a pin with that theme, but this is such a boring and ugly looking machine I can't see myself getting one. Maybe the gameplay and code are amazing and that will swing things, but the art package is most certainly a huge turn off.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from GreenMeerkat:

I'm a rabid fan of the book series and would never have imagined I'd baulk at buying a pin with that theme, but this is such a boring and ugly looking machine I can't see myself getting one. Maybe the gameplay and code are amazing and that will swing things, but the art package is most certainly a huge turn off.

Yes the art is a huge let down for sure. But the shots do look like fun. Time will tell. Stern would be smart to rush out a gameplay video.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Ill buy one its only money ill play it if i dont like it ill sell it on craigslist not a big deal

I like your style...

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

What's funny is stern art is always like this and if the game is fun and has awesome code, nobody will care about art and backglass issues. Everyone is starring at this thing in a vacuum. This looks like the most fun stern in a long time!

That's a pretty bad attitude and shouldn't become the norm. Sorry but the cabinet and blackglass art are the worst that Stern has put out in years and possibly ever. The entire game lacks The Game of Thrones theme vibe I expected it to have and I bet part of the reason is licensing costs. See any of the shows characters on the playfield? Nope. Just like TWD they exist on the cabinet only. Did Stern get the original actors audio from the show? Only time will tell.

Either way, it's a slap in the face to buyers to expect to spend more and then see less spent on licensing and art design due to their desire to increase profits even more. What happened with offering value with their products?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

At least that games LE backglass and cabinet artwork looks far better. The GOT LE backglass doesn't make sense whatsoever and doesn't look professional.

#32 8 years ago

Honestly, I'm try to figure out how I can convince my girlfriend to let me squeeze another one in. With the peeling stickers on sterns latest games, I'm less concerned with the cab art and back glass. I can just make my own and replace what is there. I know it's additional cost and time, but it would give me a chance to make it my own. Now the difference between the pro and others means I'd have step it up and get a premium.

#33 8 years ago

So show of hands, who's definitely not getting one?

I agree the vibe doesn't match the show at all. Have no clue what they were thinking. That being said many on here just have to have the next NIB and this thing looks a lot more exciting to play than WWE, KISS, Full Throttle or Mustang.

I looks like they had licensing issues. Would be great to hear from the artist / Stern at some point. They can't hide forever.

#34 8 years ago

I want to know when they will show the premium artwork. Anyone have a guess? Hard to decide right now.

#36 8 years ago

From what I've been told the premium artwork should calm people. But it's the playfield artwork that will remain forever shit. What sucks is the premium artwork will be much nicer than the LE. Good job stern. Who was your focus group? Bunch of blind people?

#37 8 years ago

First off Pinside matters, not because we buy all of the pins from Stern, but rather, we are a statistically relevant sampling of the total buyers and players. Our thoughts align with the pinball demographic 100%. If Gary doesn't understand that, he needs to go back to marketing school. They screwed this pin up big time and not even Jedi Master of Flow, Steve Ritchie can save this pin.

#38 8 years ago

I am convinced Kaneda is an undercover Stern employee

And...who exactly hated Tron at first?
Probably the most universally accepted, least FS pin Stern has made in 5 years.

#39 8 years ago

What? are you high?

Do you think all of us have $7000.00 (+ or -) chump change to spend on something like this?

I'm lucky if I can put gas in my car for the next week.

E

#40 8 years ago

Bought the LE, game play is a welcome change.

#41 8 years ago

Stern only builds games that have already been ordered, of course they're going to sell every game they make.

#42 8 years ago

I'm in on a pro. Looks like fun.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

kaneda's opinion: usually wrong, usually uninformed, usually trivial, but always deserving of its own thread.

I agree with you 75%

#44 8 years ago

I haven't ruled it out I would most likely get the pro, I hope to play at the Pinball Expo next month. I probably won't make a move until 2016 let things settle down, see more gameplay and reviews. I'm in no rush they will making them for awhile. Maybe compare it to the next release like maybe a VE (SM,Tron, whatever).

Edit: the more I think about it the more I hope to get the pro all this is subject to seeing it in person and getting to play it. I'm really digging the pro model love the idea of open area in left hand corner for mods and picture of White Walker. I'm good with the backglass and cabinet.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I bet Stern doesn't care about losing 200 buyers from pinside at all.

Do you even think before speaking? 200 sales in this industry at PRO MSRP is 1.2 million dollars. Obviously not what Stern sells the game to distributors for but still, a little critical thinking would help your posts tremendously man...

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Do you even think before speaking? 200 sales in this industry at PRO MSRP is 1.2 million dollars. Obviously not what Stern sells the game to distributors for but still, a little critical thinking would help your posts tremendously man...

I didn't speak, I typed. Come on man Look, I understand what money is at stake but out of the people complaining about GOT, how many of those pinsiders are actually buyers? I just think 80% of Stern sales don't come from Pinside members. Do you agree / disagree?

#47 8 years ago

If the price is right, I'd LOVE to have GoT. But so far, too expensive to buy unplayed given what we know and given the alternatives available.

Buying used? Definite possibility!!!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Do you agree / disagree?

Most "normal" people in the world 1) don't know pinball still exists, 2) don't think it's legal to have one in their house 3) would never drop 5K+ on one. There are some crazy hardcore TWD fans here at my office, not a single one bought the pinball machine. But they have all of the collectables they can get their hands on. Guess who has none of the collectables but has the pinball machine because it kicks ass.

Pinsiders/Pinball players are unique - we are the tried and true pinball fans that will do almost anything for the game we love.

Yes I think at least half of the sales are folks from Pinside/RGP/Pinball Bash/The Village, etc. There are not the huge operator conglomerates that used to exist that would take 40 new games at a time and put them on route. We are their core audience - and it is obvious that Stern and other companies listen to what we say.

Art might seem easy or trivial, but when you deal with an IP holder HBO/GRRM and ACTORS they can demand incredible sums of money to use their likeness/voice/etc. Costs that are completely prohibitive on a product that has slim profit margins. Everyone complains that they want more more more in these games, but when the prices go up and everyone cries foul. Can't have it both ways folks - that is if you want Stern to stay in business.

I don't know how many of us were around when LOTR was shown for the first time, but everyone had the same reaction - What is all this photoshop, pixelation, etc. And look - the game is a fucking classic.

The game looks fun - I can't wait to play it - and I haven't ever seen a single episode of GOT.

#49 8 years ago

I could never buy the pro, and I am out of a preorder due to the art, but I do see the possibility with with the full color changing inserts and GI that Stern could recapture the feel of GOT with proper lighting. It may turn around and surprise us.

#50 8 years ago

ZERO interest

no interest in the movie/show

saw the playfield art and it looks VERY lame (first impression)

not sure about game play and shots and fun factor but you don't get a second change to make a first impression

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-will-sell-every-got-they-make and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.