Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
    th-1.jpeg
    Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_11.28.46_AM.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_11.29.06_AM.png
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

Is License #3 / #4 going to be Fast and the Furious? Jared feel free to jump in on this

Fast & Furious would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and I guess 8? lol. Thats a lot of pins.

But for real, I cant comment on such things. Don't drag me out to often or I may have to stop posting on Pinside all-together. (We) are watching and read (everything) here... there... everywhere. If you type it.. we read it. lol. Just can't respond to most stuff.

By the way, this response is a non response, lol.

Speculation... well.. it's part of the fun. So: ya'll have fun.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

I am totally convinced of this. Why did they move? I toured the new place and it is huge AND it has room for growth. They have two lines running at 50+ games/day each now. That doubled previous peak production. That is 2K+ games per month or 24K+ per year. PLUS, they saved spaced for a third line which they hope to get running next year. That would be 36K+ games a year. How can they sustain these numbers? They have to release more titles.
    Some thoughts on 6-8 titles:
    1 Vault edition per year?
    1 Remake from PPS per year?
    1 Boutique (WNBJM) game per year?
    3-5 Licensed Titles per year?
    I mean, there is a possibility that we are ALL right on our speculation. GoT will be made, Iron Maiden will be made, LOTR and SM VE's will be made, Batman v Superman, Jurassic World??? Terminator Genysis? The list goes on...Muppet's? That's 8! Stern can make 3K of each in the next 18 months and still have time to make 12K KISS's. They absolutely have HUGE plans and our brains (at least mine) have not completely processed this idea.
    Questions:
    Can Borg and Trudeau design 2 games/year each?
    Can Ritchie get 1 out every year?
    Will they hire another designer? 2 more?
    Has pinball become big enough worldwide to justify these numbers? Would it saturate quickly?
    Is there enough money in boutique games to even sustain them as part of the model?
    Will we all go broke?
    Or, I am I completely wrong.

If you think they have coding problems with the number of games they have coming out now there's no way they could pump out that many and have any chance of decently coding them. I say no way.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you think they have coding problems with the number of games they have coming out now there's no way they could pump out that many and have any chance of decently coding them. I say no way.

Thing is, Stern don't really seem to care whether their games get coded properly or not. It's not as if people refuse to buy unfinished games- have a look at Kiss sales.

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

Is License #3 / #4 going to be Fast and the Furious?

I think Fast and Furious would be the ultimate theme to release the long awaited Stern LCD screen with. Tons of great movie assets, better stuff than even Game of Thrones.

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Tons of great movie assets, better stuff than even Game of Thrones.

Oh, no...you did NOT just say that...

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Thing is, Stern don't really seem to care whether their games get coded properly or not. It's not as if people refuse to buy unfinished games- have a look at Kiss sales.

Yes they do, Mustang, Star Trek, Met all have great code, took them a while but they are great. Can you imagine a back log of 8 games needing coding with 8 new ones coming out just around the corner. They don't have 30 people coding there games ya know.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think Fast and Furious would be the ultimate theme to release the long awaited Stern LCD screen with. Tons of great movie assets, better stuff than even Game of Thrones.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. I could not disagree with you more.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

And OP will buy a NIB LE of every single one of them.

You got that right.

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Whoa...hey...no way.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wait...I....don't...see....a....smiley.....after....that.... Post.....

!??!?!?!???!?!?!?!??!?!

#111 8 years ago

Hehe, I mean it. F&F has some advantages. The movie budged are huge and they have action sequences and effects you just don't see on HBO shows (obviously, I'm. Big time fantasy guy, so I like GoT as a theme better).

The one theme I always wanted Stern to make was Resident Evil based on the movies with the LCD screen. That would have kicked butt but TWD likely ended those dreams.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hehe, I mean it. F&F has some advantages

Oh man you must have a crappy DVD collection.

FF = WWLE with cars.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Oh man you must have a crappy DVD collection.
    FF = WWLE with cars.

I was thinking they could just do a simple retheme on mustang for FF....

#114 8 years ago

How many lines did Williams or Bally run back in the day?

Did they run multiple titles at one time?

Or did they finish a run on a specific title and then move on?
    chris

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hehe, I mean it. F&F has some advantages. The movie budged are huge and they have action sequences and effects you just don't see on HBO shows (obviously, I'm. Big time fantasy guy, so I like GoT as a theme better).
    The one theme I always wanted Stern to make was Resident Evil based on the movies with the LCD screen. That would have kicked butt but TWD likely ended those dreams.

I recall this same commentary way back when Avengers was going to be the first game with a LCD, and all the same comments apply!
    Feels like Stern isn't going to do it until a game with an LCD outsells one of theirs.

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Exactly. It takes them a year or more to finish code on one title. If they just pump out VEs with no coding, sure.

#117 8 years ago

Stern will produce an LCD game this year, probably in October I would bet. They hired 2 guys to do the LCD animations/display work. They are not going to sit around and do nothing, that's for sure. I don't recall their names, but they were introduced in the latest KISS video.

Quoted from TOK:

I recall this same commentary way back when Avengers was going to be the first game with a LCD, and all the same comments apply!
    Feels like Stern isn't going to do it until a game with an LCD outsells one of theirs.

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

How many lines did Williams or Bally run back in the day?
    Did they run multiple titles at one time?
    Or did they finish a run on a specific title and then move on?

They ran two lines - the main line and an engineering test line. The main line would run a single game, and they'd be prepping the next run on the test line.

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Stern will produce an LCD game this year, probably in October I would bet. They hired 2 guys to do the LCD animations/display work. They are not going to sit around and do nothing, that's for sure. I don't recall their names, but they were introduced in the latest KISS video.

Is this the same video where they show the full CGI Gene Simmons then scale him down to single color 1983 era resolution? Wonder if the next step will be a higher resolution color LCD screen the same size as current DMD's instead of a bigger backbox screen?

Don't mean to sound like I'm just shitting on Stern, I love their games and actually find the current DMD and animations sort of charming. They are just a company that takes very incremental steps because it has worked for them in the past.

#120 8 years ago

I think you are absolutely right. The first stern lcd screen will probably be the same size of the current DMD or slightly bigger and have color dots instead of 16shade red dots. I definitely see this as a progression for Stern that will take several models and iterations.

Quoted from TOK:

Is this the same video where they show the full CGI Gene Simmons then scale him down to single color 1983 era resolution? Wonder if the next step will be a higher resolution color LCD screen the same size as current DMD's instead of a bigger backbox screen?
    Don't mean to sound like I'm just shitting on Stern, I love their games and actually find the current DMD and animations sort of charming. They are just a company that takes very incremental steps because it has worked for them in the past.

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

They hired 2 guys to do the LCD animations/display work.

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/sternnewhires.html

LTG : )™

#122 8 years ago

It will probably be Sega Super DMD sized. They won't get 1080p out of that ARM they chose.

I think that's a perfect size actually. WOZ is too big.

#123 8 years ago

Sega-sized, Yes.

Dots only, No.

It will be a Lcd with real HD video. 720P? I'm ok with that for a Sega sized LCD.

#124 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

1 out of 10 gem LE such as Tron, ACDC or MET.

There were 30 games during the gap between those games?

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I was thinking they could just do a simple retheme on mustang for FF....

Which would work out right NOW because there's been 7 movies, there's 7 main modes in Mustang, leaves ya with the "Silverball Stampede" to reuse for a wizard mode...

Rename "GEARS" to "BOOST"? lol... Drift..er...TOKYO Drift multiball is already in there..

#126 8 years ago

No way will they get 8 titles out in a year. In house or otherwise. 5 at the most.

#127 8 years ago

I tend to agree. Maybe 5 or 6 new titles per year if you count third party games Stern assembles, but not 8.

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

(We) are watching and read (everything) here... there... everywhere. If you type it.. we read it.

Okay, A Doctor Who 50th anniversary pin would sell better than another clapped out band theme. There, it's typed, did you read it?

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Okay, A Doctor Who 50th anniversary pin would sell better than another clapped out band theme. There, it's typed, did you read it?

Tom Baker was my fav Dr and yes I watched most of the original episodes BITD, but I sincerely doubt another Dr Who pinball would outsell any of those 'clapped out band themes'. Look at KISS sales, AC/DC sales, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Bally/Midway machine but don't think there's a market for a sequel.

#130 8 years ago

I think band themes limit a lot of buyers. I love the ac/dc pinball. Despise the music. Couldnt own one because of it. Now a Rush pinball on the other hand with an lcd...

A new DW would probably end up being my first nib...

#131 8 years ago

I think people are underestimating the impact of Stern shipping pins with incomplete code which is even to the point of having limited functioning machines. This is going to start to have an impact on sales unless they can improve getting updated code out quicker. People are giving them a pass now provided that they eventually get complete code within a year, but that won't last if they are pumping out 6-8 pins per year and never getting complete code out.

I would think they could keep costs down considerably and sell just as many pins by putting out 3-4 great titles per year than 6-8 titles of meh. The buildup/excitement/anticipation factor will diminish if they are putting out a pin every 1 1/2 to 2 months.

I'm not Gary Stern though. He knows what he's doing. Most other manufacturers are proving that.

#132 8 years ago

I'm not Gary Stern though. He knows what he's doing. Most other manufacturers are proving that.

Gary Stern makes a trip to the Homepin factory in china recently, why who knows we have enough crap Chinese components in pinball.

Maybe a stern thunderbirds selling in the USA made in china..

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

(We) are watching and read (everything) here... there... everywhere. If you type it.. we read it.

But are you comprehending it? What do we want? Iron what? IRON FUCKING MAIDEN that's what!

#134 8 years ago

So many reports of broken KISS machines. Teething pains on the SPIKE system? I guess they didn't sell enough WWEs to see the problem?

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-will-release-6-8-titles-per-year/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.