4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-4.jpeg
    th-1.jpeg
    Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_11.28.46_AM.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-06-24_at_11.29.06_AM.png

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I am totally convinced of this. Why did they move? I toured the new place and it is huge AND it has room for growth. They have two lines running at 50+ games/day each now. That doubled previous peak production. That is 2K+ games per month or 24K+ per year. PLUS, they saved spaced for a third line which they hope to get running next year. That would be 36K+ games a year. How can they sustain these numbers? They have to release more titles.

Some thoughts on 6-8 titles:

1 Vault edition per year?
    1 Remake from PPS per year?
    1 Boutique (WNBJM) game per year?
    3-5 Licensed Titles per year?

I mean, there is a possibility that we are ALL right on our speculation. GoT will be made, Iron Maiden will be made, LOTR and SM VE's will be made, Batman v Superman, Jurassic World??? Terminator Genysis? The list goes on...Muppet's? That's 8! Stern can make 3K of each in the next 18 months and still have time to make 12K KISS's. They absolutely have HUGE plans and our brains (at least mine) have not completely processed this idea.

Questions:

Can Borg and Trudeau design 2 games/year each?
    Can Ritchie get 1 out every year?
    Will they hire another designer? 2 more?
    Has pinball become big enough worldwide to justify these numbers? Would it saturate quickly?
    Is there enough money in boutique games to even sustain them as part of the model?
    Will we all go broke?
    Or, I am I completely wrong.

#2 4 years ago

You're trippin

#3 4 years ago

whats the % of sales to the general public vs operators? I don't see enough games on location where that model would be sustainable unless the majority of their sales are to us

#4 4 years ago

I wish them luck. I have zero interest in the band themed pins, but would jump in on a 50th anniversary Doctor Who without hesitation.(As long as it was done correctly and true to the series)

#5 4 years ago

I would think Stern would do 2-3 titles a year, but yes. I agree. I think that is their plan. Would it saturate? idk there are more people in the hobby now, sales are up of ever new stern game and other companies are taking sales/preorders and selling... I think we will make another bubble, but for now things are good. Hopefully this means decent priced games.... This $8k shit is annoying.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

whats the % of sales to the general public vs operators? I don't see enough games on location where that model would be sustainable unless the majority of their sales are to us

I'd be interested to know as well. Also games sell well outside the US. It seems operators are making a come back...as long as the location/people keep interest up

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I wish them luck. I have zero interest in the band themed pins, but would jump in on a 50th anniversary Doctor Who without hesitation.(As long as it was done correctly and true to the series)

i totally agree on that.. i was hogging and wrote multiple posts on Stern his Facebook channel once i saw gary standing next to an Dalek when he was in vegas at that licensing show.. Doctor Who is my favourite Theme. im in for a 2nd dr who the pin

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Has pinball become big enough worldwide to justify these numbers?

I sure doubt it. I guess I'd be happy to find out I was wrong.

But I just don't see it myself. Stern knows their sales numbers and we don't, so I don't see how we're really in a position to speculate, but I definitely can't see the hobby market supporting it. And the ops would have to be just raking in the cash to buy that many titles a year, which I don't see either.

There are only so many vault games they can rerun anyways. It's a stop gap. Beyond that, then what? Stern can't even keep up with code on 3 titles a year. Hopefully it gets better with Ritchie's game, but Kiss clearly launched with seriously beta code. Now they're going to double production?

#9 4 years ago

It is June 2015 and Stern has currently released 3 titles this year. Wrestlemania, WNBJM and KISS. That's 3 titles. We are 50% done with 2015.

#10 4 years ago

well WNBJM was technically designed by whizzbang beforeright.. i dunno if u can count that as a stern title?

#11 4 years ago

I can see 3-4 titles a year at the MOST. If not 3. It seems a VE is going to be an every other year thing thus far.

#12 4 years ago

If it weren't for JJP, Spooky, and Highway I'd say that the pinball market could sustain that many games from Stern, but with those other manufacturers thrown in I'd say it may be difficult.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from DutchTommy:

well WNBJM was technically designed by whizzbang beforeright.. i dunno if u can count that as a stern title?

Stern considers it a Stern title. They call it a "Studio Release". It appears at the Stern booth at shows, ships in a Stern box, and is marketed/featured prominently on the stern facebook and website.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 11.28.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 11.29.06 AM.png

#14 4 years ago

Bring on Maiden!!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

It is June 2015 and Stern has currently released 3 titles this year. Wrestlemania, WNBJM and KISS. That's 3 titles. We are 50% done with 2015.

Rumors are pretty strong from various sources for Game of Thrones & Spider-Man VE later this year. If you're not counting MMR, then that leaves one more mystery table for 2015. Wasn't expecting that.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Stern considers it a Stern title. They call it a "Studio Release". It appears at the Stern booth at shows, ships in a Stern box, and is marketed/featured prominently on the stern facebook and website.

Has a Stern logo on it, and half the team behind it works for Stern now. Makes sense to me.

I think it would be cool to see more niche releases like it personally. Maybe that's how you can hit that many a year, I dunno.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Has a Stern logo on it, and half the team behind it works for Stern now. Makes sense to me.
    I think it would be cool to see more niche releases like it personally. Maybe that's how you can hit that many a year, I dunno.

Stay tuned.

#19 4 years ago

Must be a tease for Whizbang's next title, "Whoa Billy, Big Honkin' Sausage"

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from DutchTommy:

i dunno if u can count that as a stern title?

Call it whomever's you want, they are producing it in their factory.

It would be nice if they reproduce a classic Stern each year too. But it would still have to be modular or I am out at WNBJM pricing.

#21 4 years ago

Given the market is more collector than operator now, they are perhaps diversifying and doing more games and selling smaller runs. So instead of 4,000 Lord of The Rings, they might sell 1,500 WWF and 2,500 Mustangs. That way, even though the total audience is lower because of missing ops, they do more themes which broadens the collector appeal. Ops probably buy regularly and whatever is new to cycle games out. Collectors wait for the right design and theme. Doing more designs and themes helps sell more total games, even if the margin is lower due to extra design required up front.

I think 6 games is not unreasonable if the design is outsourced in the 'studio' mode. The most expensive employees at Stern have to be the game designers and programmers. If independent shops are coming to them bringing designed and programmed games, and just need sourcing/assembly then I could see them doing 6 games. 8 is a stretch.

#22 4 years ago

Probably 4 is in their comfort zone.

#23 4 years ago

It doesn't matter how many they can make, it's how many they can sell. At these prices they don't have to worry about being at full capacity.

#24 4 years ago

Let's not forget about quality over quantity.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Rumors are pretty strong from various sources for Game of Thrones & Spider-Man VE later this year.

Quoted from Jared:

Stay tuned.

Hmmmmm ....and hmmmmm

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Questions:
    Can Borg and Trudeau design 2 games/year each?
    Can Ritchie get 1 out every year?
    Will they hire another designer? 2 more?

I think you're being overly optimistic on the number of new titles. If you take into account their runs last multiple years, in any given year Stern could easily manufacture 8 titles, but they won't be all new. As such I wouldn't classify a VE as a new title unless it's a redesign.

Lets take 2015 so far:
    New (4-5): WWE, KISS, WNBJM, rumor: GOT, speculative: redesigned VE
    Different Game Runs (8-9): TWD, MET, ST?, WWE, KISS, MMR, WNBJM, rumor: GOT, speculative: VE

So at the very top end 5-6 new titles is doable (your low end), and your upper end (8) is doable if you include re-runs from prior years' new releases.

Most important, regardless if their designers can cut their design time in half, does any customer really want that?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Don't touch that dial!

"That your TV probably doesn't have."--America's Most Haunted

#29 4 years ago

who is going to buy all these 5k-8k machines? I am done for a long time after this kiss le. I am holding out for a pinball circus and a hobbit late run. I would probably have to sell off a pin for the money to finance these and to make room. I don't see a new stern in the picture until late next year depending on title.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

who is going to buy all these 5k-8k machines?

th-1.jpeg

#31 4 years ago

Do they have programmers that can finish the rules that quickly? They seem to struggle coding 3 pins a year. Don't know how they will manage more than that.

And I don't think the buyers will support more than that at their current pricing and production levels. With 6-8 titles a year, I would expect sales to become weak and prices to drop.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Do they have programmers that can finish the rules that quickly? They seem to struggle coding 3 pins a year. Don't know how they will manage more than that.

That's were VE and studio titles come into play, as there is no coding needed for these.
    Beside that I'm with you, given the current code situation, I doubt that Stern could or even should release more than three genuine games a year.

#33 4 years ago

I believe they do contract manufacturing of other amusement stuff - think MMR or redemption. That fills up the rest of the space and allows for a diverse business flow.

They don't have to ONLY produce pinball.

#34 4 years ago

6 to 8 games a year
    Well then bring on more Met Premiums FFS

#35 4 years ago

Same Stern time, same Stern channel!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biv:

given the current code situation, I doubt that Stern could or even should release more than three genuine games a year.

I really don't see that as an issue. people lined up to buy kiss, they are still selling mustang and people still like star trek (i am one of those people). Why should they bust their asses to finish code when it doesn't really seem to hurt them selling games? look at the recent AC/DC trend. this game has inserts for modes that are not coded, yet the game goes up in value because Stern is not doing another run.

I agree that they "should" do better with coding, but what is their incentive?

#37 4 years ago

I see more volt additions and remakes .. Takes stern way to long to finish code to make more then 2 or 3 a year ..

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from MNpinballplayer:

I see more volt additions

th-4.jpeg

#39 4 years ago

My personal opinion is that they want to contract build games for smaller 'studios' who create their own thing. The Whoa Nellie game is the first example, but they're going to plan to build at least two of those a year.

So you have a 'studio' design a game, take orders, and work with Stern to get the BOM where Stern wants it, then Stern builds the games on their own dime, fulfills the orders, and makes a hefty profit on each. Not sure if it worked like that with Whoa Nellie... but i'll bet it did with MMr ... which is a slightly different beast since it's a remake. The individual companies would be responsible for the code and would probably usually run on Stern's Spike system which seems excellent.

Jpop could have done that if he played his cards right, and didn't load himself up with so much preorder debt. Same thing with Kevin except he was a fraud the whole time.

If someone can get a prototype built, and start promoting it and taking orders (with a minimal deposit) Stern can get these suckers built. They want to be a pinball factory where everything's built no matter what company designs and promotes it.

Just my opinion... and there will continue to be other options like Jack's factory or Charlie's shop.

#40 4 years ago

Ya I don't see them building 6-8 of there own games.. Maybe if they care of contract manufacturing for some of the other smaller companies and they count that. I don't see market for 8 Games a year

But if they did 2-3 New Games 1 Vault Game and 2-3 Contract games a year maybe? Or maybe they are talking about having 6-8 games in there lineup that they are building. Such as right now they have avail to build, Metallica, WD, WWE, Mustang, Kiss and Whoa Nelly. That would be 6 games right there avail to build?

Or maybe they are counting LE's, Prems, and Pros then 8 is an easy number to get too.

#41 4 years ago

What are the completed games out there right now waiting to be built? Wrath of Olympus is complete and code is still being worked on. It could easily be a "studio" game. TBL, Predator, Nemo? Could Stern make "studio" games of these titles?

#42 4 years ago

I recall Stern saying that they want to manufacture of other things too. So all that capacity doesn't mean everything will be pinball, they might build a redemption game or two for other companies.

That would be a good idea, because it helps keep the place coming and bringing in other revenue.

#43 4 years ago

Hm, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones and a Vault title for the third?

#44 4 years ago

Don't forget Star Wars.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

I don't think they will go for 5 Licensed titles per year. That will stay at 3 per year. I also doubt there will be many studio games. Instead of WNBJM next year, I expect a Pusher. Other than that, I see your list as pretty correct.

With PPS lining up for ten more titles, I kind of wonder if we might see more than one title run per year when they get rolling?

#46 4 years ago

Fact: 2 MORE licenses AND a vault edition this year. That's 6 new titles this year and they just moved into the new facility. Just wait till next year.

#47 4 years ago

God... I hope not.
    They can't finish code for one funking game in a reasonable time frame... I'd hate to see an already inadequate team of game coders... being stretched to more games.
    If anyone has seen them double their coders... then maybe it'll be ok. but I haven't.
    But right now; Stern needs to get their sh1t together and stop shipping incomplete "beta quality code" on production hardware.

#48 4 years ago

I can see 8 games the assembly line in a year. Like others said
    3 new titles.
    1 VE
    2 old pros being made from the past
    1-2 re makes

This would still leave the designers and programmers to do their thing

#49 4 years ago

Or... Stern could start making slot machines and video poker.... although I've always wondered if the rumor was true...

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

I can see 8 games the assembly line in a year. Like others said
    3 new titles.
    1 VE
    2 old pros being made from the past
    1-2 re makes
    This would still leave the designers and programmers to do their thing

They have 6 on the line right now. 7 once MMR gets started again. 10 will be on the line this year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 295.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 289.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 325.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 30.00
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.95
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 190.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside