• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Quick question to help me isolate a blown fuse problem:

Our wild fyre blew the F5 fuse (3/4A) for the 190V supply. I've found that the 2N3584 is a common culprit, but I'd like to isolate the issue rather than tearing into the voltage regulator board. I'm wondering if the real culprit might be one of the displays going bad, given their age.

So the question is: Can I disconnect the connector to the gas display tubes to help isolate the problem without damaging anything?

Thanks for any help!

Update: After reading into this a little more, I think there is a fuse on the Vreg board for the +190V (although the schematic doesn't show it). So perhaps the displays are OK after all if that fuse didn't blow. Plus, I assume I can remove that fuse to disconnect the +190V from the displays w/o removing the connectors on the displays. I haven't check to ensure the correct fuse is installed on the Vreg board.

#2 5 years ago

The most common reason for the rectifier board high voltage fuse to blow is a diode in the bridge has gone short. check that first. Discreet diodes on the rectifier board. check for one that reads 0.00 both directions through with your meter on diode test.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The most common reason for the rectifier board high voltage fuse to blow is a diode in the bridge has gone short. check that first. Discreet diodes on the rectifier board. check for one that reads 0.00 both directions through with your meter on diode test.

Yep, forgot to mention that aspect. I had to replace one of the other bridges not long ago. I'll check with a DVM and work my way towards the other boards. I'm an electrical engr., so easy peasy.

#4 5 years ago

BTW, install a 3/4 amp Fast Blow fuse at F2 on the rectifier board, not a slow blow fuse as per the schematic.
Bally made the change from slow blow to fast blow in 1979 and stuck with it.

Check the 2N3440 transistors, etc, on the SDB too.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

BTW, install a 3/4 amp Fast Blow fuse at F2 on the rectifier board, not a slow blow fuse as per the schematic.
Bally made the change from slow blow to fast blow in 1979 and stuck with it.
Check the 2N3440 transistors, etc, on the SDB too.

Hi Quench!,

Will do. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-wildfyre-190v-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.