(Topic ID: 202735)

Stern Whitestar Sound Clipping/Distortion at Low notes.

By kbliznick

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kbliznick
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Finally got most of the sound fixed on a Stern whitestar board in a Playboy but still have one issue.

The games sound was very loud and distorted and did not adjust with the volume and I fixed that.
Replaced all the electrolytic caps, the 2 main amps, the 7805 5Volt VR, the U30 LM833 Op amp and finally it was the TDA1543 DAC at U26 that was causing the issue.

So now the sound is almost normal, but the music has distortion on all of the bass notes. When running the sound test the test tone sounds fine. The speech roms tests sound fine, the sound effects in the menu sound fine, the high notes in the music sound fine, but the bass notes are distorted. It is distorted on both the upper and lower speakers. It is distorted at both high and low volumes.

I've tried a new eprom at U7, a different BSMT chip, I swapped the two 6809 processors.
Is there a mixing resistor that adjusts the bass and treble on the board, maybe one has been damaged from when the DAC blew?

What about the 10 uf tantalum cap at C35? It's across the TDA1543 chip that was causing the main issue.

Any experts on this board?

Schematics here
http://gamearchive.askey.org/rom%20archive/pinball/Sega_Data%20East_Stern/CPU_Sound_Bd.pdf

#2 6 years ago

cut the jumpers at R315 and R316 one at a time to seperate the left and right channels and issue is on both. Looks to be a pre-amplification problem. Anybody have any info on theory on the BSMT chip set-up?

#3 6 years ago

Put an attenuator between the output from the sound card and the speakers. LOTR has this problem at low sound levels, check this link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-scratchy-sound

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Put an attenuator between the output from the sound card and the speakers. LOTR has this problem at low sound levels, check this link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-scratchy-sound

gave that a shot. Didn't work.

#6 6 years ago

Would the Pinsound board and/or
upgraded speaker kit solve the issue (and improve the sound generally)?

#7 6 years ago

I just sent one of these to rob for repair with the same issue. Pain in the ass .

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Would the Pinsound board and/or
upgraded speaker kit solve the issue (and improve the sound generally)?

I don't think pinsound boards can work with the whitestar systems and it would cost almost as much as just buying a new whitestar board.
Not a speaker issue as it's doing this in 2 cabinets.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I just sent one of these to rob for repair with the same issue. Pain in the ass .

I'll have to see how Rob does.
Wasn't the 74LS74 chip. Got a tantatlum cap and the 2 octal register chips next. Going to try to find another DAC too.

2 weeks later
#10 6 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I don't think pinsound boards can work with the whitestar systems and it would cost almost as much as just buying a new whitestar board.
Not a speaker issue as it's doing this in 2 cabinets.

The Pinsound site does offer a Whitestar option, though I never tried one. They are really expensive and not sure if it’s worth the coin.

1 month later
#11 6 years ago

Hi,
Just have exact same problem on an Austin Powers, did you finally solve this issue ?
Thank's

#12 6 years ago

I had that problem once. Mine was a bad socket buy the sound Ram. Might want to look there.

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

Sent this off directly to stern to see if they can figure it out.

#14 6 years ago

I have had the exact symptoms, and switching the cab speaker fixed it. Have you tried disconnecting it as a test?

It's also worth checking the gain controlled by R106 (backbox) and R110 (cab). I changed those to vastly improved my sound quality. If those are off, it could easily produce this kind of distortion. For me, it got rid of my white noise, documented here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fix-for-excessive-white-noise-on-whitestar

1 week later
#15 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I have had the exact symptoms, and switching the cab speaker fixed it. Have you tried disconnecting it as a test?
It's also worth checking the gain controlled by R106 (backbox) and R110 (cab). I changed those to vastly improved my sound quality. If those are off, it could easily produce this kind of distortion. For me, it got rid of my white noise, documented here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fix-for-excessive-white-noise-on-whitestar

Had tried the board in a different cabinet with the same results.
Already tried R106 and R110.

Got the board back from Stern and they only replaced the Eprom at U36. Don't have the game here to test it yet, but I believe that I either tried all of the roms on another board or swapped the roms from another board onto this one, as well as checking the roms with my burner, so don't know how I missed this.

1 month later
#16 6 years ago

Any updates on this? I am having the same issues in my Austin Powers

3 months later
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Any updates on this? I am having the same issues in my Austin Powers

Yes, Sterns repair worked. They say that they replaced one of the eproms to fix it. Weird. Because I not only tested the eproms in my burner I swapped the ROMS into a different title and swapped different title ROMS into the problem board and the problem stayed on the problem board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, KY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-whitestar-sound-clippingdistortion-at-low-notes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.