Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by viperrwk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a Monopoly that has a sound issue. The callouts and sounds are fine but the music is barely audible. Suggestions on who is good with repairing these? Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Check setting 43, "background music volume". Move towards 01 (loudest, and default on a factory reset).

Lower numbers are louder.

#3 8 years ago

It's not that. I've gone through all the settings, tried a new rom, checked the speakers, voltages etc. I sent it off to be repaired and he thought he had it fixed but when I installed the board the music was still less volume than the callouts and before I could even play a game the music was reduced back to barely audible. I know I can send it I stern and may have to go that route.

#4 8 years ago

The only other thing you might try out of desperation, is a full on factory reset of *all* settings. From my observations on other threads, occasionally a factory reset fixes "odd stuff" including sound. Stuff that you'd think would otherwise be fixed on a single setting basis. If you're about to send the board off, it might be worth the try. You'll of course lose the high scores in the process, but if you're sending the board off..

#5 8 years ago

I am studying the schematic.... not the best at sound stuff, but i don't see a place where they mix two different analogue sound inputs like one is music one is effects.

There is a DAC that feeds a left and right channel. Two channels are mixed together for mono sound. Then there is a two 2030amps (push pull circuit???). I don't think this is going to be in the analogue / amplification side.

The digital side i have no idea how the XILINX sound chip works so i get stopped there. It is a 100 pin SMT, so not really easy to just swap in a new one.

#6 8 years ago

I'll try a full reset tonight just for the hell of it. It's just frustrating as hell. Thanks guys

#7 8 years ago

Monopoly used the BSMT2000 (customized TI DSP) chip from the factory and not the XILINX processor. Of course finding a replacement to pop in there is nearly impossible.

The sound section on the WS board is the same as DE stereo sound. One of the things this means is that there is no validity checking on the ROMs:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-request-vnd-voice-rom-2-sound#post-2525563

Could have another bad ROM or bad socket.

You can also swap CPU chips on the board and see if that has an effect.

Full reset is a good idea as well.

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-whitestar-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.