Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by taylor34
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

So I've got a weird issue here, I've got a Striker Extreme that has no GI. All fuses are good, connectivity seems good, voltages seem a little high (9.0v, but that may be because there is no load or I'm measuring it slightly wrong). Replaced 4 bulbs just to make sure that they weren't all burned out. Only thing I can think of left is the relay, but I can't find a single instance on RGP where people mention the GI relay being bad. Thoughts? Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Fues holders get brittle. When you removed the fuses, they should be tough to pull out.
How does your GI connector look?

#3 2 years ago

Open your coin door, does the GI come on then?

#4 2 years ago

All fuse holders are good, gi connector looks great. In fact everything looks great on it. No GI with or without coin door.

#5 2 years ago

Where did you test voltage?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Where did you test voltage?

At the fuses and connector that goes out to the playfield. Voltage at the sockets is zero though. I was measuring from the connector to ground, AC voltage (I think I tried it from striped yellow to yellow but didn't get anything on the playfield connector but I can't remember 100%). I haven't heard the relay click ever, fyi, but I would also think that if it's a relay problem I would get zero voltages at the playfield GI connector from the board.

#7 2 years ago

you want to check DC voltage.
If you have voltage at the male pins that the molex connector hooks up to, it's an issues some where between the connector and the first GI string. Are there any "Z" connectors between the main wire harness and the cabinet?

image (resized).png

#8 2 years ago

As a followup to this, I found the issue. I believe the top of the relay had either contracted or mis-shaped enough to cause the relay not to work. Popping the top a little caused the relay to start working again, I didn't even actually take the top off, just moved it a little.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

As a followup to this, I found the issue. I believe the top of the relay had either contracted or mis-shaped enough to cause the relay not to work. Popping the top a little caused the relay to start working again, I didn't even actually take the top off, just moved it a little.

That's odd.
Someone here makes a led board for whitestar, no more relay clicky noise. I put that in my baywatch, it was well worth it.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

That's odd.
Someone here makes a led board for whitestar, no more relay clicky noise. I put that in my baywatch, it was well worth it.

Baywatch isn't whitestar.

#11 2 years ago

My mistake.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

That's odd.

I got the idea from an old post on rgp where somebody had the exact same issue and result, evidently heat/time must warp the plastic just enough to inhibit the relay in some manor.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 399.95
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
$ 12.50
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 41.00
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 15.00
$ 28.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside