(Topic ID: 257750)

Stern Whitestar CPU-board broken oscillator?

By kniven11

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40Mhz oscillator (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from kniven11:

Mouser has several with the right package (Dip-8) but from other manufacturers. Pinout seems to be standardized. I hope one of them will be a matching substitute.

If there is no output coming out of the oscillator it is probably failed.

Pin out is standard. Just get the right package shape. Since it does not look like they are using the output enable you can also use an always enabled type. Then just match working voltage. CTS, Abracom or any brand will do.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from kniven11:

I have checked both with oscope and logic probe and there is no pulse on Q, E or pin 34-35 on 68B09E. Just nothing... (Well, a Zero with logic probe on q and E)
Zitt - If you, by 'pull', mean physically remove R502 and 509 I'd rather not. They are SMD and I have extremely little experience soldering smd stuff. Or did you mean something else?
barakandl - TY for advice on substitutes.
Before posting this question I searched for a week on various forums and oscillator failure seems rare. But I have a hard time finding any other solution plausable since I have nothing on pin 1.
(Note! - Stern number the pins 1-2-3-4 but standard pin numbering is 1-4-5-8)
Not only am I seeking help, I'd think it might help somebody else in the future...

You can count the pins either way. 1, 4,5, 8 is because they are in a dip-8 package shape only using the outside four pins.

Oscillators are an integrated circuit and a mechanical device in one. Generally robust but they can fail, specially if you over volt the power supply pin. Every now and again, maybe 1 out of 250pcs, I get a bad one right out of the manufacturers packaging that is dead immediately or fails during the burn in test. Maybe it got whacked in shipping, or who knows.... I think the manufacturers get a defect rate in parts per million....

you could just desolder the output pin of the oscillator to isolate it from the rest of the PCB and then check it again. If still nothing coming out of it, its dead.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from kniven11:

Thanks for the replies!
Some soldering required, I guess...
I always try to do as little soldering as possible on any board. You just never know what happens with pads etc. Even though I'm fairly good at it...
It's easy to just swap the oscillator, cheap too, but I just put the question here to see if you had any other suggestions before doing soldering.
Always socket if possible...

The posts on an oscillator can are pretty thick. I don't know how well it will fit into an IC socket without damaging it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 7.50
$ 39.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-whitestar-cpu-board-broken-oscillator?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.