• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinnut
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9F32EEBC-A5CF-4FAE-88CD-985FB51D83B9 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

stern monopoly. when it boots, the display comes up, and constantly shuts down and re starts. L200 on the cpu board flashes 2 times, goes, out and does it all over again, repeatedly. blanking led blinks pretty much in time with the cpu led and display. there is zero corrosion, it looks like new. 5v is rock solid. there was some corrosion in the battery holder, but nothing made it to the board, it looks like new. i yanked it, put in an nvram, no help. im going to do all the pinout tests as if it were corroded, but is there anything else i should look for? does 2 flashes mean anything? i read a post saying you can use leons data east test prom, is that true?

thanks

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Can you direct me to the post that claims Leon’s test ROM can be used in a whitestar board? I don’t think that’s possible.
The typical suspects are corrosion as you suggested and perhaps the ribbon between the MPU and the driver board. The blanking circuit times out if the lamp matrix IC isn’t being driven regularly.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

id have to dig for that leon thing. a few months ago i repaired a whitestar with pretty heavy bat damage, and it worked out well. i dont really remember though how i tested it. i believe 5v and gnd, and then switch matrix was active. do they boot on the bench with just 5 v? i know i did have it working on the bench before i put it in the game. i also used the pinwiki battery damage pinout chart, and i think there may have been an error or 2 in it. right now on the bench i have a solid L200 led, but no matrix activity.

thanks

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

WhiteStar MPUs must be connected to a driver board. I don't think an MPU will boot and display anything without a driver board. I vaguely recall that I could get StarShip Troopers ROMs to boot, but I can't be sure.
If you encounter errors in the PinWiki, please let me know. I'll get them fixed right away. We strive for correctness.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

i know for sure i had a harley davidson board on my bench working without a driver board, with the switch matrix active.

#6 4 years ago

well, i got the board to boot up on the bench. pin 37 of the cpu( reset) is staying low, never goes high. if i put 5v to pin 37, the boards boots, address lines are active, the switch matrix is active. dont know why the reset stays low. does it need the I/O to boot properly ? im sure i remember a harley davidson board booting on my bench, without jumpering 5V to the reset line. the game is not nearby to test it in. can anyone explain the reset circuit and what to look for?

thanks

#8 4 years ago

chris, i hit a wall. reset at cpu stays low. jumper it 5 v , the board boots. if i power up the board with the reset line jumpered to 5v, no boot. had to be powered, then 5v to the reset. not sure if there is a problem on the board, or it needs the IO board. the game is not near enough to give it a go. i might have a friend nearby with a stern to try it in. if its a bust, can i send you the board?

thanks

#9 4 years ago

here is what i learned. i believe my monopoly board is working correctly. i had the chance today to work on a sega goldeneye( whitestar board). first i booted the sega board in the game with the io ribbon cable disconnected. it booted. im thinking oh crap, the monopoly board didnt boot on the bench without an io board, it must be no good still. . i then put the monopoly board in the sega game, with the io board and display ribbons connected. guess what, the monopoly board booted, showed the game rom version in the display, switch matrix active. i remember having a harley davidson board also boot on the bench, with no IO. maybe some games will boot independantly, and some wont? software? board revision? who knows. anyway, im going to make the trip, put it back in the monopoly game and see what happens. no reason it shouldnt work, as it worked in the goldeneye.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-white-star-not-booting?tu=pinnut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.