Selection_091.png
tumblr_m9caypJGSu1rsqm2no1_500.jpg
thats what she said.jpg
AD009_LG1_original.jpg
image.jpg
spock_approves_by_kit_kat1982-d4mr6u1.jpg
Untitled.jpg
pitchfork_mob.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I've said it before in many threads that nothing can save ST for me other then a complete dump of the current code and something completely different being done.

Do you have some ideas? This might be a fun project for me to p-roc.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This is an amusing thread, as if this never happened before. I could substitute XM and TAV every time ST is mentioned, exact same experience.

I can't agree with this at all. They're entirely different experiences.

TAV - released with nearly completed code which really hasn't changed much. The rules are actually very good and I think the game is decent. All my issues with avengers are related to the layout. I think the code knocked it out of the ball park. Tons of strategy, great stacking, great sound and lighting effects. Lonnie's best game for sure. A couple bugs and missing dots on wizard mode (which I've never seen) but for the most part this game code wise is a win.

Xmen - this had to be the worst code ever released on a pinball game when it came out. And the year long journey after that was horrible. But all that aside, the game in its current state is fantastic. The current code is not just good, it's great. There are also a couple small issues in how wizard mode wraps up. I am staying on v1.5 rather than v1.51 due to this but really, the rules are awesome. I don't think xmen wil ever recover from its journey and reputation that got it to where it's at now. But the package as it stands today is great. Layout has a ton of stuff going on, game features are all integrated and used well. And the rules are well integrated.

Compare this to Star Trek. It's first release wasn't as bad as say xmen. And the game as it stands has ok rules. The game is fun. Unfortunately, the code is just missing something that makes for exciting pinball. I'm not great a figuring out why it's not great. I think I might want to rewrite these rules as a fun hobby project if it doesn't get sorted out. I think the layout is one of the smoothest playing funniest layouts and the theme is a winner for me.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Or we all go out and buy JJP. Say what you will about JJP, WOZ's code is freaking amazing . . . there is nothing like it at Stern.
If JJP sold a bunch of WOZ's and Hobbit's . . . that would get Stern's attention . . . better than anything else.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with this. Woz code was not good on release. It took a long long time to get good. And I don't think the WoZ code is anywhere near as awesome as spiderman, acdc, or metallica code. I think it's on par with maybe lord of the rings or simpsons code but not better. I'm sorry but this just doesn't seem like a fair statement at all

#98 9 years ago

Has Lyman ever actually said canon modes are in the works? It's my belief that he just scrapped these in favor of better ideas. The truth is, if he had implemented canon inserts (just because the designer put the inserts there) and left out say VIP pass, something the designer never conceived of, people would consider the game complete. Instead he went off his own direction and created a master piece. His reward? People complaining that the game isn't done because some inserts aren't used. Honestly, there's more in the code of Acdc as it is than most Bally / williams games. I'll take code the quality of acdc any day. And as long as people complain about acdc code, then if I were stern, I would ignore the whole lot feeling that there's no pleasing anyone.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Didn't this happen with Metallica and some guy's sold it then the code dropped and it was awesome, same thing with Xmen?

Yes. And both are awesome now.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Metallica got awesome, but it's Lyman. Xmen got quasi acceptable....but not awesome. Zero regrets selling it. Unless it's a Lyman game, there are no guarantees updates will truly solve a game's flaws.

Have you honestly played xmen LE enough with latest code? Or are you just judging it based on how it use to play with the understanding of the changes? I think it really got awesome. Deadpool helps you enough to progress better and modes like danger room are really well implemented and fun.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I've played it...there's nothing game-changery different about it. Deadpool's fine and Danger Room was cool in the update before that (using Nightcrawlers as turrets). As a whole, I still feel like the game is just a bunch of "stuff" that doesn't even remotely gel into an organic pinball experience. The voices are still terrible. The music, while nice compositions, are a little too dramatic/droning and aren't "pinball exciting". Same with Sound FX...they're very "cut n paste"...they don't give you satisfying feedback like other games. Wolverine is still a terrible toy with terrible rules. From what others have written - there are still bugs.
With 3 superior Borg games available - Tron, Metallica, and Iron Man...there is zero reason for me to ever own X-Men again. I've learned that long games padded by 'stuff' just can't hang in my collection when I've got TSPP and LOTR - the true depth masterpieces....not to mention AC/DC and Metallica for newer deep games that are just brimming with fun!

Ok. Well thought out response with decent points. The three of us that bought the game out here are happy with the outcome of the code. One of us sold early and is looking to buy the game back now.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Why?
20 years ago in the 90s it didn't take that long.
Seinfeld;"What is it with pinball software?" "Ever notice that they can't get it finished?"

Most the games in the 90s really didn't have near the depth either. It started getting more advanced around the wpc95 times but some of those are somewhat unfinished (by the standards we apply to stern games being unfinished).

1 week later
#269 9 years ago
Quoted from tlang:

I have now purchased 2 NIB Stern Machines. 1st was the Avengers LE, then Star Trek LE. At the time they shipped, both had rough software, which has improved since the initial release. On the hardware side, the Star Trek LE shipped with a much more stable and smooth hardware platform. May not seem like a big deal, but the Avengers has been a PITA since the day I bought it, with many calls to Stern to get fixes for the hardware, and it is still not right. Rough/buggy software may be annoying, but is better than a poorly designed playfield.
A previous response has it correct. As long as we pinheads continue to pay for these unfinished projects, we can continue to expect the same behavior from Stern.

Actually avengers shipped with fantastic software and it hasn't changed much at all. It's a shame you're having issues with your game avengers took a lot of tweaking to get to play right. But they're not code issues. It's not really relevant to this thread. There are plenty of tweak avengers threads with lots of good suggestions in them. I know I got mine playing great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-we-want-our-star-trek-code-now?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.