Selection_091.png
tumblr_m9caypJGSu1rsqm2no1_500.jpg
thats what she said.jpg
AD009_LG1_original.jpg
image.jpg
spock_approves_by_kit_kat1982-d4mr6u1.jpg
Untitled.jpg
pitchfork_mob.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 9 years ago

Anyone who has sold their Star Trek pin is going to be kicking themselves later, no matter what they think right now.

Steve Ritchie has said the code will be completed, and that Star Trek will be the ONLY pin in his house. Let that sink in. The King will only have one Pinball machine in his house, and it's going to be Star Trek.

ColorDMD has announced that Star Trek is one of the core 5 titles they will be working on internally at the company for 2015. Let that sink in. Colored dots only 2-3 years after it was released.

We know Stern is going to be retroactively releasing custom toppers for their last few games, that will interact with the code, much like TWD's aquarium. Let that sink in. An interactive topper to the already coolest color show on a Stern.

Star Trek already is a good game. It's about to become GREAT.

#147 9 years ago

You're #1 on that list, RobT(roll).

Please have someone make a video of you kicking yourself when the time comes, then share with Pinside.

#151 9 years ago

Funny pic from a user on Facebook. Nice to see Stern respond without banning him.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg
#153 9 years ago

I have it in my timeline because I "follow" and "like" Stern's Facebook page.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If ST was just released today and we knew exactly the current state of the code.....I would still buy one.

I will be buying it in March. I'm happy with 1.5. I know improvements are coming, but it's more than solid as it is right now.

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

From a code perspective/metric, I'm saying it's a dud. I see nothing interesting about it's modes. You obviously feel differently. For me, AC/DC, Tron, and Metallica are my "go to" pins and STLE never got played. If I didn't already have STTNG, I would have probably kept it. STTNG is a classic and STLE just didn't measure up to STTNG's brilliance.
On every other metric, I think it does pretty well (bling and lighting are strong). I did feel the lighting was a bit too much (i.e. blinding), but really loved the larger than normal inserts.

STTNG is hardly brilliant. Drain monster with goofy static Borg ship.

Stern's Star Trek LE/Premium is a much faster, more entertaining, and more interactive experience.

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The "goofy" ship flings balls at you! Much cooler than a shaky toy that shines blinding light in your face.
The theme integration is brilliant. If you don't think so, you are in a small minority.
The ramps/cannons/wireforms are brilliant...especially for the timeframe.
Drain monster? STTNG is much more forgiving than many modern Sterns.
In any event, we obviously like different things. STLE is definitely fast, but not very entertaining to me.

The Vengeance fires balls back at you much faster, and you can attack it virtually as well with Photon banks. In addition, the Vengeance acts as a bash toy, (reacts when hit, crashes on LE/Premium). Much more immersive than the crappy "Lore" Borg ship.

And if I'm in the minority, then I guess Steve Ritchie is in there with me too.

1 month later
#300 9 years ago

Ordered my Star Trek Premium this week! Have absolutely no doubt that a code update will be here in the next 2-3 months. I can live with 1.5 until then.

Ritchie said it's going to be finished. We can take that to the bank.

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Unfortunately, that's meaningless since he has no control over dedicating the necessary programming resources to get it done and released.
I'm sure he wants it done like the rest of us, but saying it's going to be done without providing any more detail is not much more than what Stern has said publically.

It is not meaningless. Ritchie has the scoop on what's going inside at Stern. If development on Star Trek had been cut off my management, do you think he's be running saying there's going to be an update?

Common sense.

#312 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've said this before - but they're not taking advantage of the SAM system - USB updates. Waiting for a big update made sense in the old days if you had to burn a ROM every time...but that's not the case anymore....I don't know why Stern is against "trickle" updates. Sure there's lots of stuff to fix....but code the Prem/LE flashers, and release that as an update. Then when the bugs are fixed release that as an update. Then when you make some gameplay tweaks, release that as an update.
Small updates every so often will squash this psychology of abandonment, make customers happy and keep us from badgering Stern about this stuff.

Agreed.

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He has pride because it's his game...but he can't make the programmers or management do anything.

You should re-read what I posted.

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I read what you wrote...but I know Steve and I know Stern.
I hope it works out...but hope didn't get me working flashers within a year's time - good luck to yas.

I wasn't claiming Ritchie has control over programmers or management. I said he already KNOWS whether or not any more updates are going to be done, and he wouldn't be going around saying it's coming if it's not. He would look like a fool, and Ritchie is NO FOOL.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Or Steve leaves....AGAIN because of Gary AGAIN! Surprised he even works there now really. That was a huge shit storm when he left in the middle of HIS Avatar design.

There was....but they seem to have a decent working relationship now. Ritchie is a Stern employee now (he was an independent contractor before) and he says things now like "we're Stern" when he talks at shows.

He supposedly meet with Jack who wanted him to come to JJP, but choose to go back to Stern.

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

When did he say this?

Ductch Expo in November.

Skip to 16:00 mark.

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Meaningless. Nothing is proven until the code is released and it's not the slopfest it currently is.
Rob

Not meaningless.

#362 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

With ST, they would probably run more premiums because they have parts to build them rather than demand. I don't think demand was ever that high for the premium as most decided the pro was the best value. Even Steve alluded to that in one of his speeches.

Calling BS on that. Steve designs Premium/LE first, then strips for Pro. If you've got a link contradicting this, post it.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Contradicting what? Your statement has nothing to do with what I said. Now I do like the premium model the best (dig the cabinet art), but I own a pro.
Rob

You posted that Ritchie said that buyers found the Pro to be the better bargain. Sounds unlike something he'd say. I asked for a link.

#379 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You would think that Stern would use this as a marketing opportunity and make some kind of official announcement about it.
Adding another experienced programmer to your team is a big deal, especially when one of the main criticism of your business is inadequate code support.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Glad to see Dwight back. He has coded some great games over the years!

#381 9 years ago

Eh.

He said the Pro was about as much fun to play. It's not nearly as fun too look at though. I'm buying based on the whole package.

#387 9 years ago

What great news! My Premium arrives this week, and the new code is in beta testing!

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.....

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I know. I was just posting because I think thats what Rob_G was referring too.
Pro is just as fun. And only a few less features. But the prem and LE difference not enough to justify the $$ difference for the LE.
Premium vs LE. Trim package art package and head insignia Lights.
Pro. Trim. Not all rgb Leds, no laser, virtual kickback, art package. No potatoes. No leaning ship.
Pro is the best deal in my books for basically the same game. Its not like its missing magnets, pop up targets, spinning discs, a flipper etc. Like most differences between LE's and pros.
Its basically art, trim and lighting differences. There is no one feature missing that drastically changes how the game is played or plays.

Kickback is probably the biggest mechanical change between the two. Yes, most of the improvements are cosmetic....but damn they are good! $1,500 more for all of them? You bet.

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Can I get some of the girl scout cookies your smoking. a pen laser and a piece of shaded acrylic from my sons glow worm beg to differ. I would say more but I ha......oh look something shiny what where you talking about. Thats the market stern caters to with there BLING!

Quoted from jawjaw:

The only worthwhile thing the pro is missing from the premium is the nice glossy paint job. The lasers are a gimmick and so what if the vengeance leans forward. More color changers are nice but I like the color choices of the pro. I like the clear look and smoothness of the plastic ramps. Art package is garbage but Aurich's alternative translite and decals are the best. I just got mine and put it on last night. Simply awesome.
A big new update is exciting! Any idea how long testing usually takes?

Can't beat 60 plus color changing LEDs and laser multi-ball. Sorry, Premium eats Pro's lunch.

Kinda like how I just ate your argument.

#396 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Again you are impressed by lights. That bodes well for Stern. Heyyy look a Honda with a warm air intake and 60 color changing lights!

You're right, lights suck. Why don't you just take all of them out of your pin?

Attraction is a big part of Pinball. Always has been. Perhaps you should study Pinball history.

One of my goals is to attract new people to Pinball. Friends and relatives who will be coming over to play. You don't do that with a 1950's EM. You buy a game that will melt their eyeballs off.

#398 9 years ago

Take a good look in the mirror.

**IMAGE REMOVED BY MOD**

#405 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Uh, enjoy chewing on my argument I guess. If you are happy with the premium then great. It's a beautiful machine. I found it hard to justify spending a ton more for a few cosmetic things. Btw, since when was the pro msrp $6000? I bought mine in January and it was much less.

Pro is $5000. Premium is $6,500, hence $1,500 more.

#406 9 years ago

Just printed off your score cards, Aurich. They look even better on paper!

Thanks for the freebie!

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Stern's website has them listed as $5995 and $7495. Pricing has changed. Pro was $5395 when I bought it and premium was more than $2000 on top of that.

Stern's prices are MSRP. They are meaningless. You'll get them from a distributor for much less.

Lately, Premiums run around $6,500...give or take $100.

#411 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right on, you're welcome.
See if the rules on them stay current soon!

LOL!

I was wondering about that when I was cutting them at Kinkos.

#413 9 years ago

It is interesting....Stern hasn't tried yet to match the sheer number of color changing inserts since Star Trek Premium/LE.

Too expensive? That's a shame. Colored plastics on the inserts should be retired across the whole line with what we can do with LEDs now.

#432 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Since you're not taking all the hints I'm going to just straight up tell you: yes. Yes, they work. The code is in good hands, all will be well. Don't worry about the lights.

Seems like Dwight Sullivan is taking this thing and running with it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.95
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-we-want-our-star-trek-code-now?tu=captain_kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.