(Topic ID: 11941)

Stern warranty and tech support

By Av8

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stern warranty and tech support”

• good 30 votes
      70%
    • fair 7 votes
      16%
    • bad 6 votes
      14%

(43 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 12 years ago

how long is the warranty on a nib pin? how would you rate their tech support?

#2 12 years ago

Not sure about Stern because I have not received a NIB from them. I heard JJP is going to be three years.

#3 12 years ago

My buddy just got a routed Family Guy from a distributor. He emailed Stern tech support and Pat helped him with no issues. Solved the problem first try too. I'd say that is awesome service...

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

My buddy just got a routed Family Guy from a distributor. He emailed Stern tech support and Pat helped him with no issues. Solved the problem first try too. I'd say that is awesome service...

A lot of pinheads have said that of Pat.

#5 12 years ago

I can't find info on parts warranty on there webpage.

#6 12 years ago

Check you Manual.. Its in there. Or contact your distributor.

#7 12 years ago

I have heard of people calling about DE games. I believe they have had the same guy running tech support through all three companies.

#8 12 years ago

1-800-kickers for stern/sega/de if i do believe so myself?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Not sure about Stern because I have not received a NIB from them. I heard JJP is going to be three years.

Umm Sorry wrong.. I heard this and had to go look this up my self cause thats INSANE to be able to cover it that long.

From JJP Website
    OUR WARRANTY
    Q- What is your Warranty and what does it cover?

A- Our Factory Warranty is One Year on the main game board, Commercial 26" LCD Monitor and certain game parts which will be specified. We promise a No-Haggle support system which is Distributor friendly.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

1-800-kickers for stern/sega/de if i do believe so myself?

1-800-Kickers helped me on JP.. I had No Upper p/f GI's .. My Pin Tech was in the hospital @ the Tyme, anyway they Guided me thru Several Test's .. Final Result ( I had a Bad Bridge Rectifier )
    Awesome service w/ that 800 #

Also , CoinTaker told me if I Ever have a prob- w/ my NIB AC/DC Prem- ( After I get it that is )
    I should Go thru him !! ( He Will be my Customer Service ) So I Can't Vote just Yet...

#11 12 years ago

You are getting a NIB AC/DC?

#12 12 years ago

Always had excellent support when calling Stern. Very helpful. Very quick.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from brz:

You are getting a NIB AC/DC?

Ohh Yea,,, Premium !! I already paid 1/2 of the cost as a deposit.. Look's Like I'll be Play-n 1 in Texas B-4 I get mine tho.. Hmmm!! Could be a Good tyme to Judge it and see if it's Worth 6K.

Anyone Ever Put a Deposit down on a NIB ,, then played 1 before Yr's was purchased & Ship'd , and didn't like it and Asked for Yr deposit back ? Seem's Fair to me if you Did !!

#14 12 years ago

I have purchased many nib, and had excellent support

#15 12 years ago

i called about a de game about a year ago and they helped me out. i dont remember who i talked to but they were great.

#16 12 years ago

I never new you could call about DE. I have ACDC Pro coming. I would expect a year warranty but still no real answer. Who has a NIB TF that can look in manual or tell how long the warranty is?

Thanks in advance.

@BR - Premuim pics looks sick. I will probably buy it later. Just cant wait. Pro rocks too.

The NEW videos Im seeing today, (with experienced players!) shows a great game with FAST challenging game play and FLOOOOOW!! Lots of it. Back handed ramp shots. Plus those TNT targets will slap you in the face and make you want more.

#17 12 years ago

Re TF pro......from the manual:

Printed circuit boards psb's: 2 months
    Dot matrix display pcb: 9 months
    Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from seller to its authorized distributors.

Wow...thought it was a year.
    Have over 600 plays and nothing has gone wrong....flippers are as strong as day 1, canyon fires as fast as first play...only one bulb burned out.

#18 12 years ago

Have had a couple calls to Stern, they have always been very helpful.

#19 12 years ago

Hummm, I had Stern cover Boards for a Year no problem in the past 12 Months. We cover our sales for 30 days Bumper to Bumper and 1 year on Circuit Boards.

#20 12 years ago

Yes, Patrick Powers and Chas in Tech Support are the front line for Stern. Gary probably has no idea just how valuable they are! I have dealt with Pat on many occasions and he is just superb to work with. To me, Stern has terrible public relations, and Pat IS their only public relations! I hope he is appreciated by G.S. One of the few good images I have of Stern is Pat!!!

#21 12 years ago

The only time I had to call Stern was for Pintucky's LOTR. Pat was great to work with. Luckily I haven't had any problems with my two Sterns.

#22 12 years ago

The very few times I have had to call Stern support (when I was an uber newbie) they were very helpful and responsive...I was pleasantly surprised.

#23 12 years ago

I haven't had to use my NIB Stern warranty as of yet, nor contact their tech support. Knock on wood...

#24 12 years ago

Newer Sterns seems to just work. Rarely do i see a worn out plafield either.

My Pro shipped today.

#25 12 years ago

Stern/Sega has always had very good tech support. Although when my NIB LOTR LE flipper transistors fried (at 2 and 7 months or so), I didn't bother with tech support and just replaced the transistors myself. Saved a lot of time and hassle. But when the gold lockdown and siderails tarnished within a month (my hands were clean!), they sent new replacements.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

But when the gold lockdown and siderails tarnished within a month (my hands were clean!), they sent new replacements.

StevenP, just curious--did they ask you to return the tarnished components?

1 year later
    #27 10 years ago

I was wondering about the Stern warranty and found this thread. Does anybody know if the below is still their printed warranty? They do not put it on their site that I could find. I have heard of people getting help outside of the info below, so I think they go above and beyond what they print - big props there.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Re TF pro......from the manual:
    Printed circuit boards psb's: 2 months
    Dot matrix display pcb: 9 months
    Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from seller to its authorized distributors.

I was wrong on the JJP warranty period. I stand corrected. I wish I would have went back to this thread at the time. I have always looked up to gexchange, but I am disappointed that as a distributor you took the time to look up the JJP info but did not post the actual Stern warranty. Is that only info after a purchase? I am considering a machine and it is something that I consider when doing research.

Quoted from Gexchange:

Umm Sorry wrong.. I heard this and had to go look this up my self cause thats INSANE to be able to cover it that long.
    From JJP Website
    OUR WARRANTY
    Q- What is your Warranty and what does it cover?
    A- Our Factory Warranty is One Year on the main game board, Commercial 26" LCD Monitor and certain game parts which will be specified. We promise a No-Haggle support system which is Distributor friendly.

#28 10 years ago

Stern covered a DMD with a horizontal line on it 15 months after shipping date and I wasn't even the original owner. Had to go through original distributor, but they covered it. I've used them for other issues and they are always helpful and responsive.

#29 10 years ago

Both JJP and Stern have been amazing in my experience.
    I've never heard "Sorry, that's beyond warranty" or similar "Get lost" type comments.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I was wrong on the JJP warranty period. I stand corrected. I wish I would have went back to this thread at the time. I have always looked up to gexchange, but I am disappointed that as a distributor you took the time to look up the JJP info but did not post the actual Stern warranty.

He was checking on that 3 year statement specifically.

The safe answer is this. Both companies have written policies to protect themselves. Letter of the law. Both do a great job of taking care of their customers and product way above and beyond whats printed. Spirit of the law, or more importantly gaining customer support.
    If they feel abused they can fall back on policy but its clear for the most part that both want to win customer support and loyalty.

Bottom line is neither has shown warranty issues are worth stressing over in the purchase process.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-warranty-and-tech-support and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.