Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Okarcades
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I had to call Stern the other day for a problem with my machine. I was surprised to hear after being told by a Stern tech that the warranty on a NIB machine is 60 days. Thinking it would be 6 months at least. Curious on other opinions.

#2 9 years ago

60 days is fair with a toy that has steel balls hitting plastic and metal. I would be glad Stern is making games...

#3 9 years ago

I've never bought a NIB Stern (or any NIB for that matter) but I would think 60 days would be enough time to shake out most of the bugs.

#4 9 years ago

I've called with broken parts long after 60 days and Stern has taken care of it.

But in print:

STERN PINBALL INC. FACTORY LIMITED WARRANTY :

STERN PINBALL INC. SELLER WARRANTS ONLY TO THE INITIAL PURCHASER OF ITS
    PRODUCTS THAT THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW ARE FREE FROM DEFECTS IN MATERIAL
    AND WORKMANSHIP UNDER NORMAL USE AND SERVICE FOR THE WARRANTY PERIOD
    SPECIFIED; WARRANTY PERIODS ARE EFFECTIVE FROM THE INITIAL DATE OF SHIPMENT
    FROM SELLER TO DISTRIBUTOR.

1. PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS AND GAME LOGIC : TWO (2) MONTHS (60 DAYS)

2. DOT MATRIX DISPLAY BOARDS: NINE (9) MONTHS

NO OTHER PARTS OF SELLER'S PRODUCT ARE WARRANTED. SELLER'S SOLE LIABILITY
    SHALL BE AT ITS OPTION TO REPAIR OR REPLACE PRODUCTS WHICH ARE RETURNED
    TO SELLER DURING THE WARRANTY PERIODS SPECIFIED PROVIDED:

1. SELLER IS NOTIFIED PROMPTLY UPON DISCOVERY BY PURCHASER THAT STATED
    PRODUCTS ARE DEFECTIVE.

2. SUCH PRODUCTS ARE PROPERLY PACKAGED AND THEN RETURNED FREIGHT
    PREPAID TO SELLER'S PLANT.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY PARTS DAMAGED DURING SHIPMENT AND
    OR DUE TO IMPROPER HANDLING OR DUE TO IMPROPER INSTALLATION OR USAGE
    OR ALTERATION.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THE SELLER BE LIABLE FOR ANY ANTICIPATED PROFITS LOSS OF
    PROFITS LOSS OF USE ACCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY OTHER
    LOSSES INCURRED BY THE CUSTOMER IN CONNECTION WITH THE PURCHASE OF A
    STERN PINBALL INC. PRODUCT.

WARRANTY DISCLAIMER : EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED IN A WRITTEN CONTRACT
    BETWEEN SELLER AND PURCHASER THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR
    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

THANK YOU - STERN ? PINBALL INC

#5 9 years ago

60 days was standard for every pin I've bought through a dealer.

#6 9 years ago

I bought a Met 3 weeks ago and had a display issue. I spoke with Chas regarding the warranty and he confirmed it is general 60 days (Longer for display) however he said that they do consider warranty replacements for several months. Given that the defective part was a display, the RMS needed to be processed by my distributor. I have purchased 5 NIB Sterns and will say that I have been fortunate to only have this one issue requiring an RMA. I have had a couple of minor mechanical issues which I worked out myself but with EXCELLENT support from Stern even a year or more after purchase. If I asked him to, he would have sent out any of the inexpensive parts but it was not necessary.

In summary, I feel confident that you could buy a NIB Stern and get warranty parts replacement for at up to 6 months. They seem very fair!

#7 9 years ago

My Black Spiderman had a three year warranty.

#8 9 years ago

For comparison...

Planetary Pinball- One year
    Jersey Jack Pinball- One year
    Spooky Pinball- One year
    Zidware Pinball- ?

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

1 year later
    #9 8 years ago

on my second one for TWD. First one was shipped like this.

IMG_1369.jpgIMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpgIMG_1370.jpg

#10 8 years ago

I do think the warranty on the boards (or just board now with SPIKE) should be longer than 2 months. BUT in most situations I believe Stern will honor the warranty behind that 2 months. It gives them a little extra room for generosity, customer satisfaction, "going the extra mile" while not obligating themselves to more. I think it's better than the over-promise and under-deliver approach you often find elsewhere. But not ideal of course.

Ironically I sell used pins (Stern/Bally-Williams/Data East) with a 3 month warranty on all boards. And even then I get people asking for a longer warranty, on 20+ year old boards no less.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I do think the warranty on the boards (or just board now with SPIKE) should be longer than 2 months. BUT in most situations I believe Stern will honor the warranty behind that 2 months. It gives them a little extra room for generosity, customer satisfaction, "going the extra mile" while not obligating themselves to more. I think it's better than the over-promise and under-deliver approach you often find elsewhere. But not ideal of course.
    Ironically I sell used pins (Stern/Bally-Williams/Data East) with a 3 month warranty on all boards. And even then I get people asking for a longer warranty, on 20+ year old boards no less.

TWD manual states 9 months on DMD

#12 8 years ago

They went the extra mile with me on my Star Trek LE.

Pat went above and beyond to the point, that I hand wrote a letter to Gary praising Pat.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from capguntrooper:

on my second one for TWD. First one was shipped like this.

IMG_1369.jpg IMG_1370.jpg

My Metallica still looks like that! The 'replacement' DMD my distributor came up with was worse, it looked like it had been left in the sun and had warped. I gave up on them. Comes down to local support which unfortunately was lacking here. The good thing about not having a JJP distributor here is I deal direct with JJP and they have been great.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Pat went above and beyond to the point, that I hand wrote a letter to Gary praising Pat.

Hope you did not get Pat in trouble.....

#15 8 years ago

I had the same problem with my walking dead screen. They have replaced it twice and this one has been working well. stern also gave me a new Star Trek ramp after mine broke less than a month in. I've had nothing but good luck with stern games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-warranty-60-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.