Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
pbl.pdf (PDF preview)
image.jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

So basically the aftermarket shaker causes the Spike system to get spiked.

#52 8 years ago

Lol...now we know why they call the new system "Spike".

#53 8 years ago

As for how many after market shaker motors got out before the needed capacitor removal fix was addressed I can not say. I can say that only 12 units from Pinball Life left the building.

Of the 12 only 2 had been installed before we learned of the issue. We replaced the node board on these 2 customers' machines ASAP. The other 10 customers simply snipped the capacitor off before installing the kit. There have been no issues since.

There is no voltage difference/issue between the SAM and SPIKE system shaker motors. Shake motors are a pretty simple animal; metal weights placed off center from gravity spin from an axel causing the game to shake. As long as the motor's voltage rating and RPMS are correct you are good to go. SAM system shaker kits require a grounding cap, SPIKE kits do not.

I would like to add that Stern heard of this early grounding issue first and they called me to let me know it was happening. I think that was very nice and responsible of them.

#54 8 years ago

Speaking of the standard Stern shakers, are the new ones the same as the older ones? I have one in Metallica which has a complete shaker housing from end to end in the bracket and no visible capacitor, and one I just purchased from Pinballlife that I put in ST Pro. The housing is about 3/4 of the bracket and you can see the capacitor talked about.

Problem is the MET one is nice and smooth and the newer one sounds like crap. Did the motor change recently? I filmed a short video with the first 3 shakes on MET and the last 3 on ST. Ironically, I was just trying to replace the Red Tremor shaker that was just shaking too much.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Problem is the MET one is nice and smooth and the newer one sounds like crap.

There are two things you can do to smooth out the shaking. Try tightening the long threaded screw. If that doesn't fully get rid of the "jackhammer" sound, you can also rotate one of the weights 90 degrees.

#56 8 years ago

Thanks, I'll try that. I tightened all the installation screws for sure.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

This seems like a fairly obvious attempt by Stern to "corner the market" on shakers. Thing is, if Stern's part prices weren't so exorbitantly expensive there would be no need to.
Stern needs to take a reality check on their replacement part and add-on prices or they will continued to be easily undercut by practically everyone else. Stern part pricing is outrageous gouging.
IMO

Corner the market for shakers? Can you hear what you're typing?

First, the market is minscule and the profits are irrelevant when you're selling 7K machines.

2nd, SPIKE is a completely different system. NOT EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE COMPATIBLE. There is no conspiracy here.

Jeez.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Shaker motors are bad things all around. A pinball machine has a bunch of heavy things screwed to the bottom of a sheet of plywood. Continual shaking breaks these things.

Right. Knocking around 4 steel balls at 60 MPH against plastic is perfectly harmless.

#59 8 years ago

Manufacturing companies have a responsibility to test and verify their own products. This - especially with pinball - is a herculean task all by itself. No company, not Stern...not anyone....is going to hire a new team of people (or take existing people off their product) to spend a time quality assuring 3rd party devices that they have no control over nor do they make any money on. It does't make sense. Voiding a warranty because a consumer changed or rewired something is standard for just about anything. Crack open your blu-ray or xbox player? VOID! Thats not trying to 'corner the market', thats just running a business. The fact that they are also making mods because they are lucrative is a separate thing, not a grand unified conspiracy theory. If they were not making mods, the warranty situation would be unchanged.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Thanks, I'll try that. I tightened all the installation screws for sure.

Sounds like Gweempose hit this nail on the head.. The long bolt that goes through the middle of the shaker mounting plate on the PBL shakers can adjust this sound. Not sure why Sterns shakers don't have this issues but PBL's do seam to. Just tighten that bolt and life will be wonderful!

JJ

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Not sure why Sterns shakers don't have this issues but PBL's do seem to.

FYI, it's not limited to PBL shakers. I had this issue with a shaker I picked up in person at Stern.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Knocking around 4 steel balls at 60 MPH against plastic is perfectly harmless.

Actually around three or four miles an hour. They do a more than adequate job at breaking things though, even at that speed.

LTG : )™

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Sounds like Gweempose hit this nail on the head.. The long bolt that goes through the middle of the shaker mounting plate on the PBL shakers can adjust this sound. Not sure why Sterns shakers don't have this issues but PBL's do seam to. Just tighten that bolt and life will be wonderful!
JJ

Yep, fixed it right up. Thanks for the tip mod! I thought I bought the other shaker from PBL but maybe I didn't. The guts on it look a little different.

6 months later
#64 8 years ago

I know this is an old post. Here is my question. I have some Stern SAM shaker kits NIB and we just sold a KISS LE to a customer wanting a shaker motor installed. Can a Stern Sam Shaker be installed into a SPIKE game? What if anything needs to be changed?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I know this is an old post. Here is my question. I have some Stern SAM shaker kits NIB and we just sold a KISS LE to a customer wanting a shaker motor installed. Can a Stern Sam Shaker be installed into a SPIKE game? What if anything needs to be changed?

No. They are not compatible.

2 months later
#66 8 years ago

Posting in an older thread but can someone advise me on how to install a new cointaker shaker in an older Stern like Elvis? Can it be done?

Thanks

#67 8 years ago

I would suggest calling cointaker for support, should be basic install per instructions, but they will help you with any problems you may have along the way

#68 8 years ago

Thank you. I emailed them but if I don't get a response. I will call them

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Thank you. I emailed them but if I don't get a response. I will call them

Just remember they both have a day job, be patient.

They have always responded to my emails, and or called me back

#70 8 years ago

Yes sir thank you, I'll give them more time and then call them

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Posting in an older thread but can someone advise me on how to install a new cointaker shaker in an older Stern like Elvis? Can it be done?
Thanks

is it a Spike shaker or a Sam shaker? If its a Spike shaker it will need some diffrent harnesses and a Interface board.

If it is you might have to drill and install the t nuts in the cab but otherwise should be install able

#72 8 years ago

Great question. I have no idea but I will ask cointaker when I get a hold of them.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#73 8 years ago

So are the Cointaker Red Tremor shakers considered a third party shaker? Stern uses Cointaker bulbs so wouldn't they approve their shakers as well?

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So are the Cointaker Red Tremor shakers considered a third party shaker? Stern uses Cointaker bulbs so wouldn't they approve their shakers as well?

No its is very much a 3rd party shaker, not built even to the same design as Sterns.. Eg stronger motor ect

1 year later
#75 6 years ago

Hi there,
I bought a shaker motor in the market for my ST.
I am a bit disappointed by the vibrations power, it is "light"
Is the red tremor shaker more powerful? Possible to find a stern factory one?
What do you advise me?
Thanks

#76 6 years ago

I personally didn't like the Red Tremor Shakers from Cointaker, I thought they shook too hard and felt more like a buzz than a shake or rumble. The Red Tremors I had turned 1000 rpm faster than the factor Stern shakers. You can order a factory Stern shaker directly from Stern http://costore.com/sternpinball/productthumbnails.asp?pg=3 or possibly get it through your distributor.

#77 6 years ago

Is this shaker recommended: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710 or better to get the Stern one?

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from sprite:

Is this shaker recommended: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710 or better to get the Stern one?

That'll work fine in a SPIKE game.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I personally didn't like the Red Tremor Shakers from Cointaker, I thought they shook too hard and felt more like a buzz than a shake or rumble. The Red Tremors I had turned 1000 rpm faster than the factor Stern shakers. You can order a factory Stern shaker directly from Stern http://costore.com/sternpinball/productthumbnails.asp?pg=3 or possibly get it through your distributor.

The link does not present this shaker...

To be clear, I have had in the past a RS and i'm looking for something similar or near powerful. The shaker I have installed on my ST gives some light shakes, approximatively 40-50% of a RS shaker. It appears to me useless in this condition.

Thanks

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

The link does not present this shaker...
To be clear, I have had in the past a RS and i'm looking for something similar or near powerful. The shaker I have installed on my ST gives some light shakes, approximatively 40-50% of a RS shaker. It appears to me useless in this condition.
Thanks

Did you adjust the shaker action in the menu??

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

Did you adjust the shaker action in the menu??

No.
So i guess it is possible to adjust the powerful of the shaker in the menu?
Thanks

#82 6 years ago

I don't think it is, just the frequency of usage.

I'm not sure why the Stern (or equivalent) shaker is so underpowered in ST. In Metallica it works great and is just right. But I can tell you, the Red Tremor isn't any better in ST. It's just wayyy too violent and is just as bad in the opposite way.

#83 6 years ago

What is the angle of difference between the spinning arms on the shaker?

The closer to 0 degrees the stronger the shake. If they are set at 180 degrees you won't feel it.

Also keep in mind RS was perfect for a shaker. The bulldozer and other actions were meant to shake hard. For st and other stern games they are a secondary thought.

I wonder if Williams shakers were just stronger than sterns by design too.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Yes, of course it's true. The tech line started getting many calls after kiss started arriving in homes. People who were installing third-party shaker motors into their kiss machine were finding in some cases that their machine was locking up and becoming unplayable.
The source of the issue was traced to the third-party shaker and the way it handles electrical current.
This happend so frequently and so quickly that a service bulletin which issued to prevent further damage to machines globally.
The bulletin only applies to spike machines. As of the timing of this bulletin only a few third-party vendors are offering spike shaker options. I will not name them specifically.
Stern will have an official factory authorized spike shaker motor available for purchase from any authorized retailer or direct as an accessory from the store and shop online very soon. Estimated 2 to 4 weeks. This motor will be covered completely under the Stern warranty unlike third-party shaker motors.

Yes, but there's more to this. Factory shakers from older pre-Spike games also have this capacitor. So it's more of a design shift from Stern than a reliability or durability issue.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I don't think it is, just the frequency of usage.
I'm not sure why the Stern (or equivalent) shaker is so underpowered in ST. In Metallica it works great and is just right. But I can tell you, the Red Tremor isn't any better in ST. It's just wayyy too violent and is just as bad in the opposite way.

you mean if i install this shaker in my TWD it will shake different? is it a software issue?
thanks

#86 6 years ago

The original Williams shaker used a Johnson motor 3200rpm 0.5a startup 2.5a max, this WILL NOT blow up your spike board AS LONG as you remove the capacitor if fitted.
Stern use a Multi Products motor possibly with similar characteristics.

Coin Taker appear to be using something like the como drills RE850 https://www.mfacomodrills.com/motors/850.html. rpm higher and 5a max. Please Coin Taker, feel free to refute this and I'll remove the line.

My Quake shaker motors:

Now, I looked at the como motor when designing my shakers and rejected it as suitable. The multi products is not available directly. The Johnson motor is NLA.

All the shakers I make:

http://www.pinball-led.co.uk/shop/4587697741/Shaker-Motors
https://www.onestoppinball.co.uk/collections/new-products-pinball-related/products/shaker-motor-for-stern-pinballs

are powered by the Johnson motor. To my knowledge I am the only one with stock (100+) of these motors.

I have over 100 kits in machines with a 0% failure rate, they are WPC, SAM and SPIKE compatible, I have had one in my GB Prem for 6 months, my ACDC for over 2 years.

I'm not trolling for business here, I don't have any made ready to sell and please don't contact me. My advice is to only buy a kit powered by either the multi products or Johnson motor.
There's a lot of hoo ha about this subject and I hope this debunks a bit about certain kits available to buy.

1 year later
#87 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

The other 10 customers simply snipped the capacitor off before installing the kit. There have been no issues since.
There is no voltage difference/issue between the SAM and SPIKE system shaker motors. Shake motors are a pretty simple animal; metal weights placed off center from gravity spin from an axel causing the game to shake.

So a Sam shaker woll work in a Spike if you snip the cap.

#88 4 years ago

The SAM shaker motor I had was the same motor I have in my Spike system BKSORLE. The only difference is the wiring harness the motors come with.
If you buy the capacitor adaptor and wiring harness it will work.
Or make your own harness and capacitor adaptor. Youll need a 220uf 80v capacitor, its used as a filter on the node board. Wothout it you may have switch issues but no majpr damage will occur.

3 years later
#89 1 year ago

On paper i can use a Data east shaker from a Royal Rumble for my spike 2 game, anyone have any experience with it ?
( and snap the cap ofcourse and extend the cable )

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from newtoit:

So a Sam shaker woll work in a Spike if you snip the cap.

You have to snip off the capacitor from the SAM shaker frame and lengthen the wiring harness (and maybe change the connector, can't remember for sure and I'm not at the warehouse right now).
You will no longer need the interface board used with the SAM shaker kit.

4 months later
#91 1 year ago

Did anyone ever confirm whether a Stern SAM shaker would work on a Spike 2 game, assuming it would reach with the connector or you added an extender? Thanks for the help!

4 months later
#92 1 year ago

Hi there,

I ended up in the same question.

Quoted from pinballjah:

Did anyone ever confirm whether a Stern SAM shaker would work on a Spike 2 game, assuming it would reach with the connector or you added an extender? Thanks for the help!

What differs the "Spike Harness" from the "SAM Harness"?
At my SAM Shaker no capacitor found on Shaker or on the additional PCB board (520-5065-00). Connector directly fromt the shaker would fit to the node board.
Ther are different versions out? Do i need now a capacitor or not? (Speaking only about Stern original Shaker)

Unfortunatly the posts stating different things.

Would be great if someone can help again to clarify.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.50
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-warning-post-shaker-motors/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.