You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20200611_131442 (resized).jpg
20200611_131517 (resized).jpg
919oxhYoVmL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

Resolder the header or replace it. The pitch is set via this input and if its missing a bit, the pitch is off.

Easy way to check is to swap the speech processors from one to the other to make sure it's not the speech chip. Flight 2000's speech all is the same pitch, they never vary it. There can be variations on the speech processors themselves, as with any analog circuitry - but swapping it will tell you straight off. Usually when there is garbage in the speech it could be a timing issue, but AFAIK that timing is internal to the speech chip, not something external although I could be wrong about that.

At some point I along with a couple other people are going to come up with a replacement for this card with a wav trigger type setup, because the speech is known for all games that use it at this point, and I'm in the process of documenting all the pitch changes from the 6 or so games that use it currently as well so that corresponding wav files can be created.

#4 3 years ago

I remember the year 2000 hype in the 90s with everything getting '2000' pegged onto it. Let's let DickHamill keep his 2020 monikers on his arduino modded games.

If you look at the artwork on the backglass it does seem like rather a depressing story, either she's in suspended animation and drifting in space, or that's a space coffin. People tried to escape earth because not only was THOR ANGERED from Lightning, the Meteor has also struck the earth, scattering humanity to the stars. Luckily, there's Space Wizard shooting pool with planets to help(?) out.....

Bruce Lee could always dragonfist the bad guys, as well.

#7 3 years ago

Black Hole isn't based on the movie though. Also it was over a year after Meteor came out.

I should watch Meteor, but it might ruin my love for the game. I'm sure they fire rockets when they get to level 7 at the Meteor to deter it from the Earth.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Too bad Meteor didn't have the VSU-100. Would have been great to hear increasingly frantic call-outs while the background pitch-noise grew ever higher-and-higher, and naturally a "M-E-T-E-O-R!" call-out when completing the bank

Oh, that could happen at some point. Too bad the speech board cuts into the regular sound although I think all early solid states do it that way don't they?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Same with Stern but the speech is so low quality in Stern games its hard for me to understand what words are spoken so adding sound on top of that would really lose it. Like in lightning I can understand about every third word spoken

That's just lightning's speech choices. When I had one I had to do a lot of research into Norse mythology to just try and figure out what the words were. The rest of the games should be pretty easy to understand.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

I applaud the effort to resurrect these games and replace these now-unobtanium cards with sample-based equivalents, but the live, analog synth aspect is truly amazing and worth preserving. It makes these games unique in a lineup. To think that any given VSU might sound "different" from another for any number of reasons, just like a human's own vocal processing, is awesome and just a little bit freaky.

It's kind of why I haven't been actively working on the sample based card, I have working speech cards for all my machines that currently use them. But I want to add the capability to other titles; I'll be using a real card to pursue that, but unless I can get a supply of the cards/chips, I'll have to compromise on something in that future endeavor. There could always be crowd-sourced sample sets that the wav player could substitute to get some analog-y variation.

The same dilemma exists within other communities regarding synthesized stuff - the SID chip on the C-64 is a prime example, while people have recreated it on FPGA's, it's just not the same as the originals, and even among the originals, there's different variants that sound different and some are prized over others.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That circuit could be chopped out of the SB100 to be stand alone way to get eight triggers (data bus) out of the an address through the J5 plug.

That's a way I was triggering my defunct wav player in 2012 for Lost Vegas, grab the byte like the sb100 did. Something in the circuit would 'go to sleep' though and I was never able to debug it (and the wind really came out of the sails with all the delays in LV.... I think it's still listed on CPR's pages, but it's pretty much a dead project at this point).

Any replacement vsu100 solution of course is going to just operate exactly like the original for plug n play capability. In an ideal world I'd have gobs of the card to play around with, but that's not going to happen.

#20 3 years ago

C27 is 470 pF

#27 3 years ago

That was supposed to be a 470 PICO farad cap, you said uF in the video.... did you do pF and just say the wrong one since most of the we're dealing with micro fard?

The higher pitch one is too high that's for sure. Your mpu200 clock speed might be higher as well because the regular sound on yours seems different as well, this isn't a big deal a lot of games have some variations there. I had 2 EBD's at one point and one of them the voice just sounded WRONG to me, so that's the S&T board that went with that one when it was sold and I kept the one that sounded "right".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 3.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-vsu-100-early-speech-cards-voice-pitch-weirdness?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.