You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20200611_131442 (resized).jpg
20200611_131517 (resized).jpg
919oxhYoVmL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I remember the year 2000 hype in the 90s with everything getting '2000' pegged onto it. Let's let dickhamill keep his 2020 monikers on his arduino modded games.
If you look at the artwork on the backglass it does seem like rather a depressing story, either she's in suspended animation and drifting in space, or that's a space coffin. People tried to escape earth because not only was THOR ANGERED from Lightning, the Meteor has also struck the earth, scattering humanity to the stars. Luckily, there's Space Wizard shooting pool with planets to help(?) out.....
Bruce Lee could always dragonfist the bad guys, as well.

I think Meteor was based on the 70s disaster movie. Logo/title typeset matches. I have a blu ray copy of that I have not watched yet. Supposedly was a bit of a box office flop. I enjoy some of the other disaster movies like Towering Inferno and Poseiden Adventure tho.
919oxhYoVmL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg919oxhYoVmL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Indeed, one of the few Licensed (Classic) Stern titles (Nugent and Ali being the other two). Quite terrible movie, but then Sean Connery was in his "crap" period at that time just post James Bond (witness Zardoz). Especially bad is nearly an hour spent in the mud-flooded subway system (apparently was horrific for the actors!). Fun to see all the well-known character actors (including Brian Keith pretending to be Russian!). I have some other movie tie-ins beside the pinball and the DVD: I've got the novel, a T-shirt (alas in XS child-size) and a movie poster. I have to say that the pinball is far and away the best thing to come out of that movie!

Zardoz is not crap, take it back! I watched it recently and found it to be fun movie.

I like bad movies for some reason so I will have to check out Meteor.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I think all early solid states do it that way don't they?

Seems so. Firepower silences out all the sounds before talking. System 11 is the first ones I can think of that talk on top of other sounds. I feel like they could do it in earlier WMS games unless there is some kind of hardware reason the PIA cannot control the speech stuff and the DAC at the same time.

Same with Stern but the speech is so low quality in Stern games its hard for me to understand what words are spoken so adding sound on top of that would really lose it. Like in lightning I can understand about every third word spoken.

#17 3 years ago

I don't have much experience with the Stern speech card but the Bally speech chip varies chip to chip in regards to speech pitch. Some are more like darth vader others more like the chipmunks. Analogue stuff probably sensitive to small variances in capacitance and resistance much more so than digital.

The in limbo SB-100 replacement project Quench helped me incorporate a circuit to be able to trigger MP3s. That circuit could be chopped out of the SB100 to be stand alone way to get eight triggers (data bus) out of the an address through the J5 plug. Could apply the same idea to the lamp address/lamp data/lamp strobe 2 so not to get int the way of a SB300.

#25 3 years ago

The factory soldering on that speech card is pretty bad. Zooming in around the chips it even looks like some of them are dry and possibly cracked. I'd inspect the board well. Double check the work around the 555 chip... like make sure no plated holes got ripped out when that chip was replaced. Previous rework is always on the top of the list of usual suspects.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#30 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Oh carp... you're right, and I didn't misspeak: I used a 470 uF - or Microfarad - cap because I was so excited to finally see the numeric value and relative size in a little baggie I bought from GPE years back, I didn't register the discrepancy! Stupid brain.
Well, at least it's not the worst "educational error" one could make. In fact I'm kind of amused now: it'd be fun to socket that location and play with all kinds of values for that cap wouldn't it? Don't worry, I know better than to push my luck here.
Sadly I'm almost 100% certain I don't have any pF caps that value, but will of course double-check later.

if you have any junker MPUs laying around there is a bunch of 470pF caps on it. The ones near MPU J1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-vsu-100-early-speech-cards-voice-pitch-weirdness?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.