(Topic ID: 172044)

Stern 'Vault Editions' to continue after SM?

By Brickshot

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brickshot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone with inside information on Stern knows whether or not they plan to continue offering 'Vault Editions' on occasion? I have heard that the latest SM VE may not have been as big of a hit as they were hoping and possibly not worth all the work put into it? So I'm really wondering if they have any thought of scrapping the notion of VE's and just focusing on new games? Anyone hear anything? I have been looking to get an LOTR but with prices now creeping up around 7k (?) I am not sure if there is risk there that a brand new VE will get announced in the near future in the 6k range.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Heatman:

There's two for a little over 5k and one well under right now.

Where would you value an HUO, low play LOTR that still looks new? Thoughts?

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

B66 isn't really a VE, though. Aside from one same toy and Batman being a character, it's a completely different game. Spider-Man, while re-skinned with comic book characters, still has the same exact layout, characters, code/mode logic.

I was thinking the same thing. I definitely don't consider it a vault in any way.

Quoted from Frax:

Then maybe they should stop dicking with proven formulas and themes and just remake it as it was. Duh.
    Err....what yuriijos said.

And maybe that will be their thinking? Although I think they need a few new attactive sales features (cabinet art, or light mods, etc.) Just not a complete re-theme like SM VE basically was. Otherwise, it's not any sort of special vault edition, it's just a new run (didn't TSPP have like 5 or 6 runs spread out over several years?) I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any talk of this internally at Stern and has any idea which way they may be leaning on doing these VE's in the future or forget them altogether?

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from fatbeerdrinker:

Was there ever that much a demand for a SMVE?
    Seems to me it was an easy remake, in that it's BOM is relatively low and the licence was easy. Stern seem to be testing the waters for VEs post IMVE.
    LoTR and Tron is were the demand seems to be for a VE...

If LOTR's are only selling in the 5000-5500 range I don't think the demand is strong enough to justify a VE then. Tron is a possibility. Aren't ACDC prices for a Premium creeping toward 7k? Another edition for one of those would probably sell well (or even just another run of Luci's?)

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The problem is re-licensing. They can't just do a quick small run of games....the licensor will usually want as much as the original 3 year/thousands of units license...perhaps more if they think they didn't get enough of the first time.

But isn't re-licensing still an issue for Tron or LOTR? Why is it different for ACDC?

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAlley:

I just talked with my Stern rep yesterday about Tron. He told me the odds were slim to none. Disney holds the license. They are hard to negotiate with. The feeling was they could not sell enough units to make it work. Even though we didn't talk about LOTR specifically, I feel it will not come to a vault edition for the same reasons. I feel like I do know what the next three pins will be and none of them are VE releases. I am currently doing a complete restoration on a LOTR. We have sold a bunch of them and the demand is there but it is nowhere near the demand I get for TRON.
    take care-Jerry

Thank you for the info! That's all I was hoping to hear. Just some thoughts on where Stern might be heading (I know they'll never just publicly declare no more VE's or something.) But to know they're focusing more on new games instead of bringing back old titles is good news to me. I have to think the lackluster response to SM VE in particular has them realizing no VE is a slam dunk.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brickshot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-vault-editions-to-continue-after-sm?tu=Brickshot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.