TWD Trans.jpg
image.jpg
Phone picts 114.jpg
TWD1.jpg
TWD2.jpg
TWD3.jpg
IMG_7640.JPG
IMG_7641.JPG
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

I'm not much of a writer so I'll just get to the points I observed about the game.

Game played had back leg levelers cranked all the way out so the game was way past its normal slope. Was level side to side and had a touchy tilt setting. Game had code revision 1.05 installed. Observations below are after 20 games or so.

PRO's
Cab art
Translite looked pretty good except for that glaring AMC logo on it.
Both ramps easy to hit repeatedly
Right Orbit when hit clean flowed fast.
The dots well done for the theme.
Prison with Walkers in the windows glow when doors are opened.
Well Walker mech tilts back when hit hard enough to expose spot where in the LE you would see the guts. (Mod begging to be made)
Rejected Willbury Shots that don't make it around the bend hit metal rail then hit a post rubber on the way out so ball doesn't go SDTM
Prison Zombie toy registers hits real well.
Combo shots are fun to hit and easily identified during play.
Shot multipliers and 2x playfield features.
Music that is in game fits theme well.
Multiple skill shot targets from the plunge, Rollover buttons - Inlanes - Target
Ability to light "WoodBurry" shot for another skill shot while ball in play.
A reason to hit the bumpers!! Enough bumper hits enables a Bumper Jackpot shot to light which actually scores useful points.

CON's
Code in infancy stage, nowhere near as complete feeling like ST,MET, ACDC at launch.
Some callouts borrowed from other games, likely placeholders till final sound bits are added / made.
BBH - Extra ball shot made, Spiderman - Extra Ball lit (Couple Examples)
Weak shot up right ramp when not made will likely go SDTM.
Well Walker toy doesn't register on all good hits, likely just a switch adjustment fix
Target 3Bank when hit has no sounds at this code revision.
Skill Shot to Top right target impossible on game played, likely due to being over steep / to high of a slope.
When ball grabbed and held by Prison Magnet, then let go ball went SDTM unless you nudged the game in a timely matter. (Likely Slope related)

As far as my opinion on the game overall I'll wait till the code matures a bit and I get to play it some more. Any questions let me know. I'll try to answer them best i can.

Here's a couple pics using my phone. The rest I took didn't come out so well. Sorry for that.

IMG_7640.JPGIMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7641.JPGIMG_7641.JPG

#2 9 years ago

thanks for taking the time to post!

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing Todd!

Brad

#4 9 years ago

How do you like all the bashing?

Is the layout interesting?

Granted I know better code will make the game come to life but do you think this is a step forward or a step backwards in design for Stern?

Thanks for posting early thoughts!

#5 9 years ago

Sounds like a good start.

#6 9 years ago

For not being much of a writer, I think you gave some great feedback for us to see how this game will develop. It sounds like it has the potential to be a great game and code updates should make it a hit. Thanks for the report!

I cancelled my order until I can play and I know the code will take awhile. I hope to purchase one next year.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the no nonsense review.

On a more subjective note, how does it shoot? I.e., are shots nice and smooth and satisfying? Sounds like you were enjoying hitting combos which leads me to believe the answer would be yes?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

On a more subjective note, how does it shoot? I.e., are shots nice and smooth and satisfying? Sounds like you were enjoying hitting combos which leads me to believe the answer would be yes?

The right ramp being so steep and having a long length before it reaches the back of the game is the only shot I feel that could be improved due to likely ball rollbacks if not hit cleanly. Also hitting the bash toy inside the Prison is very risky, unlike hitting Sparky on Metallica.

Game shots feel smoothly done and satisfying to hit for the most part. Love the combo system that initiates after a Ramp/Orbit/Loop is made as the game lights up a shot or more showing the player how to lengthen the combo.

Good question RobT.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

How do you like all the bashing?

Is the layout interesting?

Bashing is the name of TWD unless you are combo-ing shots. You have to BASH in order to play any of the multiballs. Bashing the Prison doors and Well Walker are pretty riskless compared to having to bash the Prison Walker by far.

As for the layout I'm kinda undecided if I like it or not. The skill shot is pretty unique and a welcome change to the norm I will say.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I'm not much of a writer so I'll just get to the points I observed about the game.

Are you a fan of the TV show?

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for the review. Did it feel fun to play?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I tried to watch a few episodes and stopped watching it. Like the Zombie/Walker theme but just couldn't get into the show at all.

#12 9 years ago

Game is very fun.

Good flow.

Great announcer guy "You got BIT !"

TWD3.jpgTWD3.jpg
#13 9 years ago

TWD2.jpgTWD2.jpg
#14 9 years ago

TWD1.jpgTWD1.jpg
#15 9 years ago

Ok, so if the theme was not a major factor, in other words if it were a toss up between TWD and Met pro do you find anything superior on TWD over Met pro.

#16 9 years ago

Thanks Todd. Thats more than you have written on the league site in three years LOL!

Glenn

#17 9 years ago

I have also noticed the well doesn't register every hit as well as the prison. Fairly aggravating.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Thanks Todd. Thats more than you have written on the league site in three years LOL!

Glenn

You are so right about that Glenn.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ok, so if the theme was not a major factor, in other words if it were a toss up between TWD and Met pro do you find anything superior on TWD over Met pro.

MET (any version) over TWD (any version) all day for the time being. MET plays really well and I think is probably the best programmed, most complete recent Stern game (including ACDC). The only thing 'wrong' with MET is that the stock music lacks low end so it sounds a bit thin compared to ACDC for example. Some songs like Sad But True don't fit well in a pinball game either because they lack energy.

It would be hard to rank TWD because the software can barely stand on its own... It's probably going to be months of waiting for code updates... again...

Rob

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I have also noticed the well doesn't register every hit as well as the prison. Fairly aggravating.

I wonder if it's something like an eddy sensor that detects hits or is there a mechanical switch?

Rob

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

MET (any version) over TWD (any version) all day for the time being. MET plays really well and I think is probably the best programmed, most complete recent Stern game (including ACDC). The only thing 'wrong' with MET is that the stock music lacks low end so it sounds a bit thin compared to ACDC for example. Some songs like Sad But True don't fit well in a pinball game either because they lack energy.
It would be hard to rank TWD because the software can barely stand on its own... It's probably going to be months of waiting for code updates... again...
Rob

Have you played it yet?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The only thing I can think of at this stage of TWD development that might be superior to MET is the theme integration of the artwork/animations on the display. Seems to me that there is more content on TWD then MET.

I found a real nice game play video tonight on You-Tube. Perhaps this could answer your question better.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Quoted from GravitaR:

I tried to watch a few episodes and stopped watching it. Like the Zombie/Walker theme but just couldn't get into the show at all.

This is what I'm hear-n More of .. I know of Several Buyer's of the Pro and LE that have purchased the Pin and they Don't watch the Show .. They could really careless that the Pin Doesn't have the appropriate Voice call out's from the Series ..

Now It's Tyme to hear from a Fan of the TWD Show that has the Pin in Possession ..
DH has Killer flow , but it would Suck if Clint was Replaced w/ Mel Tillis for call out's ..

Phone picts 114.jpgPhone picts 114.jpg

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

Have you played it yet?

Nope, but I've seen many of the videos. It's not a finished game so how can it stack up against something that has mature code and excellent rules? So that's why I said MET over TWD 'right now'. TWD seems to have promise with the neat art and interesting music though. Hopefully the game doesn't rely too much on bashing toys....

Rob

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I wonder if it's something like an eddy sensor that detects hits or is there a mechanical switch?
Rob

Mechanical switches for the well and zombie face, prison doors are a opto set up. I have to say that so far the dmd animations are the best part of the programming so far.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

This is what I'm hear-n More of .. I know of Several Buyer's of the Pro and LE that have purchased the Pin and they Don't watch the Show .. They could really careless that the Pin Doesn't have the appropriate Voice call out's from the Series ..

Played TWD on location. I do not own the pin or have it on order. Guess I should have mentioned that small detail. Thanks for reminding me Black_Rose

#27 9 years ago

I hate hearing the code is even less complete than the other recent releases....ugh....

I'm an LE buyer and was hoping Stern would code this game better right out of the gate...not worse...

Thanks for the review though OP.

#28 9 years ago

Tiger I would have to surmise that with all the new titles they are cranking out the programmers are being pushed to their limits trying to get everything programmed. I'm surprised they have time to code to keep up with their new releases and also update older titles. I'm betting as I write this (12:02AM) Lyman is awake at home remoted into his work PC cranking away on code.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm an LE buyer and was hoping Stern would code this game better right out of the gate...not worse...

TigerLaw , R U a Fan of the Show ? And what would U want Yr LE to include on the game codes ?

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

TigerLaw , R U a Fan of the Show ? And what would U want Yr LE to include on the game codes ?

I am a fan of the show. I'm looking forward to a more just general zombie theme though, a Stern seems to have done that which is great.

I certainly want all the inserts to work and do something from day one and all the switches to be integrated into game play - I'm fearful the spinners will not be coded at all due to them not being included on the pro. Basically, I want a complete game.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Tiger I would have to surmise that with all the new titles they are cranking out the programmers are being pushed to their limits trying to get everything programmed. I'm surprised they have time to code to keep up with their new releases and also update older titles. I'm betting as I write this (12:02AM) Lyman is awake at home remoted into his work PC cranking away on code.

Stern is only releasing two games this year, as they did last year. Three games a year is a thing of the past sadly, I had hoped the upside of two releases per year would be better coding...

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I am a fan of the show. I'm looking forward to a more just general zombie theme though

general Zombie theme ,, Stern has Paid 4 and copy'd Everything from the Show to make this Pin and the Only sound that's Original is the Music .. Doesn't that bother you ?

Take BSD , MSF for instance .. Everything was thought out and installed before the Pin was ship'd ..

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

general Zombie theme ,, Stern has Paid 4 and copy'd Everything from the Show to make this Pin and the Only sound that's Original is the Music .. Doesn't that bother you ?

Haven't gotten my hands on one to know if it will yet. I'm glad the actors faces are MIA on the LE. I was really Merle would do the voice work, but I can live without him I have decided...missed opportunity for Stern though as he could have been great.

#34 9 years ago

To me this could have been one of their biggest hits. I don't understand why they did all this work and covered all their bases only to fall short of having the actors do the voices. They could have gotten by with 1 or 2 actors and called it done.

I think Stern may reconsider after they see the sales taper off.

#35 9 years ago

Rumor has it code updates are going to be a weekly thing. Here's to hoping that is true.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

To me this could have been one of their biggest hits. I don't understand why they did all this work and covered all their bases only to fall short of having the actors do the voices. They could have gotten by with 1 or 2 actors and called it done.

Before you blame stern, you should consider the fact that amc may not have allowed it. Just a thought though.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Stern has never replaced voices to gain sales.

-Shitty BDK voices - still there
-Fake Optimus in TF - still there
-ShittyBeast & ScreechyStorm in Xmen - still there

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern has never replaced voices to gain sales.
-Shitty BDK voices - still there
-Fake Optimus in TF - still there
-ShittyBeast & ScreechyStorm in Xmen - still there

That is true. My only thought was they appear to be trying to do things differently these days. Possible they will listen to the outcry of people on the fence about this game.

#39 9 years ago

I wouldn't hold your breath

#40 9 years ago

Well makes no difference it's just an opinion. If they do then great, i'll probably be in. If not, probably won't. I've got other pins to play so I won't lose sleep over it.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

That is true. My only thought was they appear to be trying to do things differently these days. Possible they will listen to the outcry of people on the fence about this game.

There is no "outcry"....a few people might be disappointed but it generally won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Quoted from DocRotCod:

Well makes no difference it's just an opinion. If they do then great, i'll probably be in. If not, probably won't. I've got other pins to play so I won't lose sleep over it.

That's the healthy attitude.

#42 9 years ago

I played TWD Pro in Australia last week. Shot ok. The skill shot was cool.

I don't watch the show (well, I watched 20 mins of it, that was enough...) so I can't say how well it is integrated with the show.

The dots looked good so far. I started a few modes and they seemed cool. I got a couple of multiballs going. Seemed to lots of shots to shoot for.

If you like the theme it might be a winner for you.

rd.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Avengers? = fail
TDK = fail
And so on
IM ruled ! F-yeah bar none the best Stern ever did in addition to
Soproano's

When will they learn !

#44 9 years ago

IM didn't rule in the beginning. People didn't like how cheap it felt and looked. Took a lot of heat for a long time. Wasn't until a couple of years ago anyone gave a crap about IM.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

IM didn't rule in the beginning. People didn't like how cheap it felt and looked. Took a lot of heat for a long time. Wasn't until a couple of years ago anyone gave a crap about IM.

true, but the voice aspect and audio was superior ! from day one ! that you cant deny !

#46 9 years ago

Good to talk to ya again Neo !

#47 9 years ago

Not superior to previous releases. Not like LOTR and TSPP, Sopranos. But by todays standards, yes. But that's not saying much.

Look at metallica. They use the correct voices and the call outs kinda blow. Good thing they have a fantastic art package to help you look past it.

#48 9 years ago

On our game the well walker registered perfect, even small hits. We had to hammer the prison head with the ball for it to register. So probably an adjustment thing.
Also, right ramp return from a shot that was too weak didnt go stdm. The left ramp had more tendancy to do it but you could slapsave it.

#49 9 years ago

I don't get the time it takes for Stern to do code.

Ben Heck seemed to knock out the code for AMH in a matter of weeks by himself?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Rumor has it code updates are going to be a weekly thing. Here's to hoping that is true.

Where did you hear this? I find it very hard to believe.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I don't get the time it takes for Stern to do code.
Ben Heck seemed to knock out the code for AMH in a matter of weeks by himself?

Heck, look at Predator. It was fully coded when still in white wood form... Stern's year long code battle to make Mystery a real mystery in Metallica is certainly a mystery to me...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-twd-pro-played-tonight-some-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.