(Topic ID: 81341)

Stern trying to drop a bombshell? New Patent Application for color changing LEDs

By DCFAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

300px-Panties_styles_-_en.svg.png
    the-da-vinci-code-5055ebda55a03 (Small).jpg
    tumblr_inline_mk8hpws5X21qz4rgp.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RacerRik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The patent examiner will need prior art that beats the August 2012 filing date. Nobody in the thread has shown that prior art yet, but that does not mean the patent office will not find a reason to reject.

You guys must not be aware of the new patent reform in the US. Prior art is no longer admissible. The new patent law states that who applies for a patent 1st will get the patent if it is approved.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

What? Prior art is what is used to reject a patent application. If it is prior art it is admissible regardless of whether the application was filed under the new or old rules/laws.
    That "First to file law" is for applications that are filed on or after March 16, 2013. This Stern application falls under the old rules.

This patent may not be effected by the new First to File laws if it was filled before the law changes. But, First to File means exactly that - showing prior art was part of the old system used to establish the First to Invent basis. It is no longer relevant.

#56 10 years ago

So, do you have some actual experience with this or is this an opinion? I ask, because I filled for a patent in 2013 with the help of several patent attorneys and their explanation to me does not agree with what you are saying. By the way, Prior Art is way more than just old patents. Sure a patent would be rejected if the invention was already covered by an existing patent. The Prior Art I am referring to is drawings, pictures or even built models whether prototype or sold in production. The way the lawyers explained it to me, if Stern had been using magnets in pinballs for 20 years but never patented it, I could take the idea, wrap it in some words that claimed I was the inventor and I could patent that invention.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

This application is from August 2012 (ACDC), well before Star Trek.

DCFAN,
    Where did you see that this was from 2012. The link to the patent application says Feb 6, 2014 so it will clearly fall under the First To File laws. Perhaps Stern is taking advantage of the changes in the patent laws - go in and patent everything in pinball that is not already patented. They don't have to prove themselves to be the inventor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RacerRik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-trying-to-drop-a-bombshell-new-patent-application-for-color-changing-leds?tu=RacerRik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.