(Topic ID: 81304)

Stern trying to drop a bombshell? New Patent Application for color changing LEDs

By DCFAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-584.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Patent application title: COIN OPERATED GAME DEVICE USING LEDS TO PROVIDE GENERAL ILLUMINATION
    Inventors: Steve Ritchie (Lombard, IL, US) Lyman Sheats (Hoffman Estates, IL, US)
    Assignees: STERN PINBALL, INC.

Publication date: 2014-02-06
    Patent application number: 20140035227

Abstract:

A coin operated amusement game such as a pinball machine having a playing surface wherein tri-colored LEDs are provided to illuminate the game playing surface.
    Claims:

1. A coin operated amusement game, comprising: a playfield including a plurality of features which are utilized to define play of the coin operated amusement game; and a plurality of tri-colored LEDs positioned in cooperation with the playfield to illuminate a playing surface of the playfield in a one of a plurality of different colors.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140035227

#2 10 years ago

Trying to patent what JJP already brought to market? Way to go Stern - looks kinda desparate

#3 10 years ago

Interesting . I'm guessing color changing GI lights ?

#4 10 years ago

Huh... not sure if they can patent something that has already been publicly disclosed...

#5 10 years ago

Looks like illuminated shooter rod as well?

#6 10 years ago

The application is from August 2012. I don't remember when JJP first publicly stated they were using RGB LEDs.

Quoted from T-800:

Huh... not sure if they can patent something that has already been publicly disclosed...

Was it first publicly disclosed before August 2012?

Also, it should be noted that this is a patent application from Stern. It does not mean that they will or will not receive a patent.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Trying to patent what JJP already brought to market? Way to go Stern - looks kinda desparate

Didnt Stern get this out first with ACDC? Although, this patent may not even be referring to insert lighting, I dunno....

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Didnt Stern get this out first with ACDC? Although, this patent may not even be referring to insert lighting, I dunno....

Here is the full set of claims:

1. A coin operated amusement game, comprising: a playfield including a plurality of features which are utilized to define play of the coin operated amusement game; and a plurality of tri-colored LEDs positioned in cooperation with the playfield to illuminate a playing surface of the playfield in a one of a plurality of different colors.

2. The coin operated amusement game of claim 1, wherein the plurality of tri-colored LEDs are positioned below the playing surface of the playfield.

3. The coin operated amusement game of claim 1, wherein the plurality of tri-colored LEDs are positioned above the playing surface of the playfield.

4. The coin operated amusement game of claim 1, wherein the one of the plurality of different colors in which the playing surface of the playfield is illuminated corresponds to a one of a plurality of different game play modes of the coin operated amusement game.

5. The coin operated amusement game of claim 1, wherein the one of the plurality of different colors in which the playing surface of the playfield is illuminated corresponds to a one of a plurality of songs that will be played during game play of the coin operated amusement game.

6. The coin operated amusement game as recited in claim 1, wherein the playfield comprises an inclined playfield of a pinball machine.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140035227#ixzz2tjOwUcPm

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Didnt Stern get this out first with ACDC?

I think so.

#10 10 years ago

When did Multimorphic first debut their prototype? That had color changing lights in it as well. In any case, the above is just a patent application and not yet issued/granted, that process takes a long time and a lot of hassle to get through. My guess is JJP and Multimorphic will be actively following this one though.

#11 10 years ago

Next up: Stern files patent application for LED monitor in backglass

#12 10 years ago

JJP applied for a bunch of patents off the get go. Before WOZ was in production.

#13 10 years ago

Stern reslly does not want anyone else even making games it would seem.

#14 10 years ago

Trying to patent what JJP already brought to market?

People were making color changing LEDs for some time. Todd Andersen was making them back around 8 years ago or so.

Not sure if this could be patented at this point.

Applying for it doesn't mean getting it.

And if granted, people or companies making it before it being granted, wouldn't have to stop or pay to continue to do so.

LTG : )

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

People were making color changing LEDs for some time. Todd Andersen was making them back around 8 years ago or so.

Good point. But isn't this patent about color changing LEDs that are controlled by the game to change colors based on gameplay?

#16 10 years ago

This would be a ground-breaking patent......Would keep every other manufacturer out of LED's..
    Making them bankrupt in one swoon sweep...Or keeping them from making a modern game.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Yep - Stern missed the whole "competition is good for the industry". This means nothing except old Gary is scared as hell........ Funny thing is that JJP could care less what Stern does, they are in JJP's rear view mirror (IMHO).

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

because they want to protect what they think is theirs? if they get the patent , then they were correct. lets wait and see.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

JJP applied for a bunch of patents off the get go. Before WOZ was in production.

FYI: Everything gets published at the 18 month mark from the application date unless they request not to publish.

#20 10 years ago

they are in JJP's rear view mirror

How's that? They have shipped fewer Woz's than just the STLE's. Stern builds in a month what JJP has shipped in 10 months. AND, I wouldn't say the "playability" is ahead either. Woz is a dog compared to STLE.

I chose STLE to compare apples to apples price wise.

I wouldn't say Gary's "scared as Hell", either. His sales are up 300%+ since 2008 and has the "pro" price point of the market cornered.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Not sure if this could be patented at this point.
    Applying for it doesn't mean getting it.
    And if granted, people or companies making it before it being granted, wouldn't have to stop or pay to continue to do so.
    LTG : )

Can Todd produce some documentation known to the public?

#22 10 years ago

Yep - Stern missed the whole "competition is good for the industry". This means nothing except old Gary is scared as hell........ Funny thing is that JJP could care less what Stern does, they are in JJP's rear view mirror (IMHO).

Hey Jack, hows it going tonight?

#23 10 years ago

You guys are getting your panties in a bunch because Stern files some patents?

Isn't that what every inventive company does?

Multimorphic:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/assignee/multimorphic-inc/

Jersey Jack:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/assignee/jersey-jack-pinball-inc/

#24 10 years ago

There is a lot of patent battles in the works right now

#25 10 years ago

Losing money and not being able to deliver pins in a timely manner while stern is cleaning up is in the rear view mirror? Only if the car is heading off a cliff.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Hey Jack, hows it going tonight?

Hope he drops a post unlike Gary

#27 10 years ago

I can see the slogan now "The only company presently making pinball machines WITH color changing LEDs"

#28 10 years ago

Oh yeah, I can see it now people, the cost of every pin from all of these guys is gonna jump 1k each to cover the legal fees and patent battles. Yep, that's gonna be something to really look forward to.

#29 10 years ago

Interesting topic - can't wait to see where it goes.

FWIW a lot of us were making our own single color LED & RGB GI & Insert LED Bulbs (#555 & #44) 8 years ago.

Pin - K

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Losing money and not being able to deliver pins in a timely manner while stern is cleaning up is in the rear view mirror? Only if the car is heading off a cliff.

How's that new job working out?

I hear that's a sinking ship allright

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Oh yeah, I can see it now people, the cost of every pin from all of these guys is gonna jump 1k each to cover the legal fees and patent battles. Yep, that's gonna be something to really look forward to.

Our Patent Attorney is a pinhead. We don't pay any legal fees....

#32 10 years ago

Hope he drops a post unlike Gary

Going GREAT tonight, like every night.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

How's that new job working out?
    I hear that's a sinking ship allright

Sorry that the truth hurts jack. We're kicking ass. You on the other hand have managed to make a number of my friends very angry by not delivering their machines.

#34 10 years ago

The best things come to those who wait.....

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Our Patent Attorney is a pinhead. We don't pay any legal fees....

Friends in high places, that's a good thing! See, and there really are some good guy lawyers out there

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Sorry that the truth hurts jack. We're kicking ass. You on the other hand have managed to make a number of my friends very angry by not delivering their machines.

Not what I heard about what you are kicking.

Last time I called tour boss and you had to shut up for a while.

In a public company it will be a lot easier to make that happen. Crawl back under your rock.

Sorry it's taken so long but to deliver something from the ground up takes time. It's getting easier though, thanks for asking.

#37 10 years ago

Gosh, this could get interesting. I wonder if Stern will send a C&D letter to JJP.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Let us in on the other part of the story, what does "we're kicking ass" mean?

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Let us in on the other part of the story, what does "we're kicking ass" mean?

Maybe it was a typo and he meant licking?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Hasn't Stern made a "number of your friends angry" as well for continually producing machines without completed codes. We all know Jack has has issues with delivering games and I would think we can agree that the way he has fulfilled his orders was/is not the best way. But I think its easy to forget this is JJP's first machine and with that comes "growing pains". If these same issues occur with TH or, at the latest, with the third title than I could see burning him at the stake!

In short JJP and Stern both have their shortfalls!

Disclaimer - I don't work for Jack, have not been paid by Jack and finally I am not related to Jack. Hell I don't even own a WoZ nor am I on the list for TH.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Interesting topic - can't wait to see where it goes.
    FWIW a lot of us were making our own single color LED & RGB GI & Insert LED Bulbs (#555 & #44) 8 years ago.
    Pin - K
    http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

Yea, to me it seems like an obvious and apparent use. Granted, I do zero patent work and have no expertise in the area so my opinion is worth little.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Not what I heard about what you are kicking.
    Last time I called tour boss and you had to shut up for a while.
    In a public company it will be a lot easier to make that happen. Crawl back under your rock.
    Sorry it's taken so long but to deliver something from the ground up takes time. It's getting easier though, thanks for asking.

Jack, shutting me up is bs and you know it. One of your ex-employees and I were laughing about that whole story a couple of weeks ago. You had the market in your hand. If you were transparent with people you would have had the most loyal customer base. You only have yourself to blame for your issues.

#44 10 years ago

Who does Cheesiv work for?

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #46 10 years ago

chessiv and jack, please take this discussion to pm. Y'all clearly know each other, no reason to publicly debate. Thanks.

#47 10 years ago

This is like the 10th thread today I have typed something sarcastic and erased it. Only this time I'm confessing. I might need a little time away.

#48 10 years ago

This patent is just for "tri-color LEDs". Nothing stopping you from using 3 independent red green and blue leds fed into a light pipe to make it look like a "tri-color".

#49 10 years ago

So where does chessiv work?

#50 10 years ago

Woohoo! Welcome to the shit show! Get MJ and Scarlett and the popcorn going.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-trying-to-drop-a-bombshell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.