2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by robm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210805_132400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi All,

I recently purchased 2 new stern opto trough boards from a dealer – in separate transactions – one a transmitter, the other the receiver.

After much troubleshooting, I am convinced there is a board error – or also wondering do they have very fine tolerances in the sensitivity of the LEDs? The attached is my testing – hopefully its not too complicated!

I have 2 machines to test in – Grand Prix and LOTR – all combinations of all boards test the same in both machines – so I know its not a wiring, machine or plug issue.

I have 3 sets (transmitter nad receiver) of boards
    A – what I purchased from a dealer
    B – out of LOTR originally (not working well)
    C – out of GP – works fine in both machines

Given that each board has 2 LEDS, the attached diagram shows where I tested each transmitter board against each receiver board, as well as checking each LED for a switch opening (ie: I did this without the board mounted so I could line up LED1 of receiver against LED2 of transmitter and vice versa.

The main takeaway is that receiver board C works with all transmitters, however receiver board A (new board) only works on LED 1 of transmitter board A (also new). So I suspect that transmitter board A is a problem, however I can’t work out why receiver board A does not work at all with transmitter board C (yet it works on LED1 of transmitter board A). Both LEDs are bright red on transmitter boards A and C. I am certain there are no loose connections and I reflowed solder on boards and ensured everything is correct. So this is why I wonder if different batches of leds do not work well, and wonder if the two boards I got new were from different batches? Or is there some other testing i can do?

Or is the only solution to get another new set - i have sent a message to the dealer, and am awaiting hhis reply, but thought i'd try the brains trust as well!
    20210805_132400 (resized).jpg20210805_132400 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

520-5173-00 transmitter
    520-5174-00 reciever

#4 2 years ago

Well i started swapping LEDs around, as i also have a 3rd (B) set of boards that were largely not working.

I had the A transmitter board that only 1 LED on that would work with the B receiver. So then used the B transmitter and nothing would work there with the B receiver, but the C (fully working) transmitter would work with 1 LED of the B reciever. So i pulled that working reciver LED from the B board, put it in the LED 2 position of A board (that worked fine with C transmitter, but not A transmitter), and now both A boards work! Confused...cause i am!

Anyway, its working, but still doesn't make a lot of sense to me

#6 2 years ago

Yeah i know, and they glow all the time on all 3 transmitter boards, yet get recognised by one receiver board completely, another only LED 1 on receiver, and another only LED 2 on receiver. But then if i pair a different transmitter board (with glowing LEDs), 2 of the receivers only partially work, and the 3rd works completely. No pattern at all!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-trough-opto-not-connectors?tu=robm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.