You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0083_(resized).JPG
IMG_0082_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Hi,

I have just purchased a Tron, which was used in public places. The owner had replaced the original neon by a home made socket. I got rid of it as it was a tricky add-on.

In the end there is a 2 wires cable left coming the entry power box, which seems to be an original one (see picture, label with green star) . The guy had plugged there the wiring for his neon socket. Should I reuse this cable to reconnect to the original one ?

Now, when I put a new neon 18w in the original socket and a new S2 starter, I have no illumination, nor attempt to start the neon. where does the original neon get the power from ? And which cable ?

Can someone help me with this ?

Thank you

IMG_0082_(resized).JPGIMG_0082_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

It's not neon. It's fluorescent. In fact, it's a standard fluorescent that runs off a standard ballast. You can get the stuff at your lighting store. It's an 18" tube, ballast, and a ballast starter. The items that die in order are the tube, the ballast starter, and then the ballast.

#3 8 years ago

Ok. I put those 2 items (as they were no longer there). S2 starter and 18"tube. Nothing happens. If this material is good, is it somewhere a fuse or component which could be failing ? Thanks

IMG_0083_(resized).JPGIMG_0083_(resized).JPG

#4 8 years ago

It's not fused. It runs off 120vac or such. You could literally put any light fixture in there you want.

#5 8 years ago

Just for me to be sure: this cable on the first picture: it was connected to the home made socket. Was it originally intended for the original socket, in which case I understand I have no more current ?

If not, can the ballast be bad and give no more current to the starter/ tube ?

Thanks again

#6 8 years ago

It could be the ballast. Often when the ballast goes bad, the symptom you will get is the bulb flashes and instantly burns out. They are cheap. I would try replacing the bulb, ballast, and starter all at the same time.

#7 8 years ago

Ok, I will do. It is what you mention, the tube flashes on the edges then nothing more.

Does it mean the tube is dead ?

thanks

#8 8 years ago

You can test the bulb once you get a new ballast, but if the ballast is bad the tube probably is dead.

#9 8 years ago

Ballast replaced. It works. Thank you for the help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tron-problem-with-neon-in-the-bb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.