Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hashman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Machine is only 8 months old but I've noticed the left lower flipper is pretty limp especially compared the to the right flipper. I have adjusted the leaf switch so both left flippers acitvate at the same time. I've also replaced the plunger, sleeve and coil stop which seemed to give it a little more power but its still not right.

The upper left flipper doesnt seem that great either. Could it be the double leaf switch? 500-6890-01 or am I missing something? Any help would be great as its ruining an awesome game.

Dave

#2 10 years ago

Have you set the flipper bat gaps so they have some up and down play?

#3 10 years ago

I did a search on that but not 100% sure what you mean. Can you give me a bit more info?

#5 10 years ago

Thanks mate. I'll take a look. The flipper moves by hand very easily though. Someone else said that if the flipper fuse was dodgy it can make coils weak?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

Thanks mate. I'll take a look. The flipper moves by hand very easily though. Someone else said that if the flipper fuse was dodgy it can make coils weak?

No. A fuse either works or doesn't work.

Check to make sure the flippers have the right gap between the bat and playfield. It should wiggle up and down a little bit. If that is ok then take apart the coil/link and check to make sure it's not all gummed up with something or super dirty.

#7 10 years ago

The left flipper is actually a weaker coil than the right to start with so don't compare the two.

On my machine the left ramp is just barely backhandable from a trap. How does that compare to yours?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The left flipper is actually a weaker coil than the right to start with so don't compare the two.
On my machine the left ramp is just barely backhandable from a trap. How does that compare to yours?

Oh really? Why would they do this? Yes it's basically impossible to backhand the ramp from the left flipper and it just as a whole feels lame. I did replace plunger, coil stop and sleeve so there's no gunk or anything. I'll check the flipper gap today.

So stern deliberately made the left flipper weaker than the right? Why would they do this? Worth changing to a stronger coil? I don't like the feel.

#9 10 years ago

Based on the fact you replaced the flipper link i'm guessing you didn't leave the gap between flipper and playfield.

Some games have different strength flippers based on playfield design. sometimes a coil is too strong if all the shots available to that flipper are close to the flippers or the ramps are shallow, etc. On Tron nothing from the center to the right of the playfield needs more strength to hit. It is a scoop, an orbit, jets, or the center 3 bank, or Zuse targets. The stock coil they shipped the game with is more than adequate for the game. Mine has no problem at all making any shots with the correct speed, etc.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

Oh really? Why would they do this? Yes it's basically impossible to backhand the ramp from the left flipper and it just as a whole feels lame. I did replace plunger, coil stop and sleeve so there's no gunk or anything. I'll check the flipper gap today.
So stern deliberately made the left flipper weaker than the right? Why would they do this? Worth changing to a stronger coil? I don't like the feel.

It'll be a weaker coil but not my much. It doesn't have a ramp to shoot up or anything. Make sure you properly gap the flipper preferably using a flipper gapping tool. The tool is critical if you're not a veteran at flipper rebuilds (and I'd argue even then). http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8194

#11 10 years ago

Well that explains a lot. Will check the gap but obviously it is designed that way so it wasnt just my imagination. Never had a machine with different coils for each flipper (as far as I know). Thanks for your help. I do hit all those shots you mentioned, its just that its quite obviously weaker on purpose. Would like to be able to backhand the ramp but maybe putting in the same size coil as the right side may not be a good idea?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It'll be a weaker coil but not my much. It doesn't have a ramp to shoot up or anything. Make sure you properly gap the flipper preferably using a flipper gapping tool. The tool is critical if you're not a veteran at flipper rebuilds (and I'd argue even then). http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8194

Ive rebuilt stacks of flippers in my time but I am new to Stern pins. Always had Williams/Bally/DE pins. My other two Sterns are SM and METLE and guessing they have the same flipper coils.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

Well that explains a lot. Will check the gap but obviously it is designed that way so it wasnt just my imagination. Never had a machine with different coils for each flipper (as far as I know). Thanks for your help. I do hit all those shots you mentioned, its just that its quite obviously weaker on purpose. Would like to be able to backhand the ramp but maybe putting in the same size coil as the right side may not be a good idea?

No matter what you do, you will not be finding the ramp a regular backhand shot. Maybe on a freak perfect shot you'll do it. But its not intended to be a backhand shot. You risk more of a reject to center drain than a success. Plus the game will become harder with the extra power to the close shots. Like missing the scoop and hitting the zuse standup at high power and air balling to the drain. There are other games with mis matched flipper coils. Iron man is another.

I would like to say that I have probably rebuilt over 100 flipper sets (100 full machines). And I use the flipper gap tool exclusively. I have had people asking me how I get my flippers to feel "better than new". I don't care how good you are, you should probably have and use the tool. I've even regapped flippers on NiB machines and improved their performance. I think stern eyeballs it in their factory Vid1900 wrote a rebuild guide on pinside and he even recommends the flipper gap tool.

Also, when you do a flipper rebuild, replace that nylon bushing between the flipper bracket and the playfield. That often is the cause of weak or loose flippers. You may not notice the difference until you replace it. It never comes with the rebuild kits but it sure makes a difference. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=271

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

Three reasons imo:

1. The ramp isnt intended to be an easy backhand like say ST. I can backhand mine like, BARELY, and it's really only 50-60% successful (and dangerous on reject).

2. No other ramp anywhere for it to shoot (orbits and targets dont need power)

3. The shots the left flipper hits are forehand shots close to the flipper (S and E targets, scoop, pop bumpers) and a bit less power doesnt break things as easy

#15 10 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. It all makes sense now. Will definately check the gap on all stern flippers now as well.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tron-pro-weak-left-lower-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.