42119 (resized).jpg
EBE7767A-C179-453D-8209-A80A23CD22BE (resized).jpeg
E7145468-AD65-4D66-831A-A5296317324D (resized).jpeg
chip (resized).jpg
Zddjp (resized).png
giphy.gif
elton-john-im-still-standing.gif
received_4761851963916276 (resized).jpeg
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago

"Why do I keep buying?"

I'll address this as I get the inclination of people to ask.

The problems I have had with Stern NIB experience have ranged from minor, to amusing, to annoying, to very frustrating, but have yet to cross the line of "I'll never buy again".

I have though, altered my behavior, and I've recommended this and have said this on the podcast as advice: Don't buy a game when it immediately comes out, give it a few months to see what issues surface. And I follow this to a "T".

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll complain and make public these issues for the following main reasons:

1) That's the only way they will get addressed going forward. If a company isn't aware of the issues, how can we possibly expect them to fix them?
2) To help other owners by potentially alerting them to issues.

Complaining in my example is valuable both to other owners AND Stern (should they choose to hopefully see it that way). There is always the debate on what's acceptable and unacceptable, and that will vary by person. But bringing issues to light is valuable.

Sometimes a NIB game can take hours to work right b/c of poor quality control. Usually, the many, many of hours of enjoyment that follow, outweigh these annoyances. But that doesn't mean that I have to simply take whatever Stern throws my way and be happy with it without complaint. So many issues Stern has had with games over time have been corrected due to people complaining. And we all benefit from that.

For those out there asking me that question, does that make sense?

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

OK, thank you, I appreciate that

I appreciate two of my favorite pinball people having a grown up conversation without threats of fighting each other. Although I think my money would be on Levi now that he has that sweet Flying V guitar, that would definitely leave a mark!

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I appreciate two of my favorite pinball people having a grown up conversation without threats of fighting each other. Although I think my money would be on Levi now that he has that sweet Flying V guitar, that would definitely leave a mark!

I think I told Kevin years ago that I never want to get into a fight with Levi on Pinside. He has unrelenting energy on here that I can't match.

#104 1 year ago

I think I told Kevin years ago that I never want to get into a fight with Levi on Pinside. He has unrelenting energy on here that I can't match.

After seeing him behind a drum kit I agree with this statement haha. Personally I think you're both hilarious in your own ways and I'm glad you both have your own platforms to broadcast your hilarity. Levi's pandemic facebook live guitar shredding sessions are legendary btw!

#105 1 year ago

Watching Levi get into it with people is one of the main reasons I look at this forum.

#106 1 year ago

And to answer why we keep doing this to ourselves, it's because new Sterns fucking rule and there's nothing else out there with a dollar for dollar fun equivalent aside from cocaine, which doesn't last nearly as long as a pinball machine alas.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Watching Levi get into it with people is one of the main reasons I look at this forum.

It's like having a time machine and watching Da Vinci make sculptures. A master of the craft for sure.

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

And to answer why we keep doing this to ourselves, it's because new Sterns fucking rule and there's nothing else out there with a dollar for dollar fun equivalent aside from cocaine, which doesn't last nearly as long as a pinball machine alas.

Does make our complaints seem minor.

"My coke dealer sold us a batch laced with Fentanyl and 4 of us are in the hospital. It's a good thing I don't have a podcast scheduled this week or he'd be hearing about it!!!!"

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"My coke dealer sold us a batch laced with Fentanyl and 4 of us are in the hospital. It's a good thing I don't have a podcast scheduled this week or he'd be hearing about it!!!!"

We'd still keep buying it though once we recovered from our medically induced comas!

#110 1 year ago

Sadly, this click bait title is only 50% hyperbole.
I've been buying NIB games from Stern for 10+ years. Every game has had issues out of the box. This is the first one that tried to burn my house down.
As soon as I plugged in my NIB GZ Premium, it tripped the circuit in my house. Turns out they had the neutral and ground switched in the power box (see pic).
[quoted image]
So much for quality control. I mean, is it safe to say they never plugged in the game and tried it?
My game also has the lightest application of clear I've ever seen, and the upkicker makes this terrible "clank" sound. But, at least those won't kill me.
Thankfully, I had a good electrician wire my gameroom.
Nice try Gary, but I'm still standing.

At least your upkicker was only making a “clank” sound. On a relatively recent Stern title (can’t remember exactly which one), the up kicker was coming completely out of the game when activated.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Um, you have 3 Stern games on your wishlist.

Whoever made the Aerosmith Pro playfields did it good. Clear was shiny and held up.

#112 1 year ago

What pinball manufacturers have good quality in your eyes?

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Keep in mind that the best pinball manufacturer with the most impeachable quality is usually the one that isn’t actually making any pins for people to be disappointed in. That’s why people were so infatuated with deep root.

So I think you’ll get some votes for Haggis. Dimple-proof! And some cautious optimism for Chris Turner Pinball.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Despite my frustrations, I think that Sterns have the least issues.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JFC...
LOLOLOL

#116 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I bet your circuit breakers are better than Stern's. It could have worked at the factory with the mixup.
Still, that's a serious screw up and someone on the line needs a good talking to. It's possible that other games went out like this but they're not tripping breakers.

Well. Stern CAN run about 40 microwaves simulatAneously

#117 1 year ago

This is a great thread. Thank you

#118 1 year ago
fire.giffire.gif
#119 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't have to pay extra for fentanyl lacing?

#120 1 year ago

Sadly, this click bait title is only 50% hyperbole.
I've been buying NIB games from Stern for 10+ years. Every game has had issues out of the box. This is the first one that tried to burn my house down.
As soon as I plugged in my NIB GZ Premium, it tripped the circuit in my house. Turns out they had the neutral and ground switched in the power box (see pic).
[quoted image]
So much for quality control. I mean, is it safe to say they never plugged in the game and tried it?
My game also has the lightest application of clear I've ever seen, and the upkicker makes this terrible "clank" sound. But, at least those won't kill me.
Thankfully, I had a good electrician wire my gameroom.
Nice try Gary, but I'm still standing.

DESTRUCTION JACKPOT IN …3 ….2 ….1. …..BOOM!

This would be funny if it wasn’t so NOT funny - an issue like this in the UK would qualify for the HSE to be notified and for them to potentially launch an investigation.

Quoted from Zablon:

It also could just have been a friday afternoon or a monday morning. I've worked in manufacturing, things slip through. They are only human. Doesn't make it right, and yes if found needs addressed, but you'll never stop all of it.

Friday GZ’s !!!

025EF875-4BD1-4990-AF10-63ED416BFA60 (resized).jpeg025EF875-4BD1-4990-AF10-63ED416BFA60 (resized).jpeg

#121 1 year ago

From my experience it's not a question of "maybe it worked at the factory" They don't turn on all the games imo, I've gotten a walking dead game with all the molexes unplugged in the bottom. I've gotten a GB with a missing LAN cable between CPU and node.

#122 1 year ago

Stern tested it on a circuit without GFCI so it went unnoticed. I am going to check my game though...

PS. Half the electronics on Amazon/eBay are probably wired up even more unsafely.

Quoted from vikeking27:

I really wanted to get a GZ - but after playing a few on route shortly (within a few weeks) after release - and the playfields looking like they were 20 years old already while sitting next to games that actually were nearly 20 years old and looked great - I decided to hold off on any more Stern NIB for now. I’m usually not picky about that stuff but it was ‘clear’ something wasn’t right. I played one that had collected so much dirt/grime/craters it was hard to see the artwork. And this was probably sitting there for about 2 weeks. Not sure what to make of it.

That probably because the game was new and is great and its just getting a lot of play.

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Stern tested it on a circuit without GFCI so it went unnoticed. I am going to check my game though...

I'd just about guarantee a fair % of folks reading this thread have their dryers wired up wrong.

#124 1 year ago

Also Levi, while I don't mind debating arguments (I think that's interesting), I don't get why you get away with the personal attacks on here that you've been doing for years (not just me).

Ignore button....IGNORE....BUTTON.

Works great for me.

#125 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But then I don’t have a weekly podcast that I need to mine material for either.

Bingo.

Never listened to this podcast before, and now I know to avoid it.

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Never listened to this podcast before, and now I know to avoid it.

You're missing out. Kevin and Nick are both pretty fun to listen to. Well worth checking them out if you like pinball content.

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You're missing out. Kevin and Nick are both pretty fun to listen to. Well worth checking them out if you like pinball content.

Seconded. I don't agree with everything they say or do but (gasp!) I enjoy their podcast and watch their pinball livestreams (recorded versions anyways) with some regularity. I am about halfway through the Weird Al stream.

Nick is super passionate about pinball, to the point he keeps buying games even when he has had issue after issue buying games. I for one look forward to hearing about this on next month's podcast

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tried-to-burn-my-house-down-and-kill-me/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.