Stern Trident sound card questions

By Jean-Francois

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello,
First, thanks to all the members who respond answers from the other people, I was able to repair most of my pinball by readings lots of messages.
Because Covid restrictions, I decide to restore my old pinball machines I got a few years ago for mostly free.
I have 3 machines to work on: Stern Trident, Stern Stars and Bally Harlem Globetrotters
Because I'm not familiar with the pinball and low knowledge in electronics, I bought one new set of Alltek MPU and Solenoid driver.
Once the machine will function, I will swap card with the old one. If still work, good, if not i will try to fix the card.

The Trident is almost functional now.

I have a question about the sound card, didn't found lot of information.

I didn't connect the connector to the MPU card,
When powering the pinball machine, the speakers is doing a strange sound, like high cam engine running at idle and little hum.
Is this is normal of sign of problem with the card?
Any things i could check?
As I wrote, I didnt connect the connector, dont want to cause any dammage

Your input is appreciated
Thanks
Jean-Francois from Canada

#2 2 years ago

On the SB-100, power for the ICs comes from J1 so you're not powering any of the logic. But power for the amps comes from J2, so those are free to do whatever they will. Perhaps you have an undesirable feedback loop or something.

J1 can make the MPU crash if it has bad damage, but I've never seen one actually cause damage to an MPU. My experience is limited. It's not terribly difficult to wire up on the bench if you want to see if anything smokes. +5V to J1 pin 30, and ground to J2 pins 2 & 3 (or TP4). I do that and hook up a speaker and resistor to J3 when I'm diagnosing.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for your response, didnt saw your reply, i taught i had received email.

I plug the card, now i have sound but the sound is quite low, sound distort, have hum and background noisy higher than the sound i got each time i hit a target.

I measured 4,9 a tp1 and 15,4 at tp7 (as pin wiki i should have 11.6) didnt found the tp8 and tp9, are they on the sound card?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-trident-sound-card-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.